Start by marking “My Girl” as Want to Read:

My Girl

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  766 ratings  ·  41 reviews
When your Dad's an undertaker,
your Mom's in heaven,
and your Grandma's got a screw loose...
it's good to have a friend who understands you.
Even if he is a boy. Thomas J. is Vada's best friend. They live near enough to each other to bike ride over and play, or even just hang out. The two are always together, sharing their afternoons, their adventures in the lake, and "all
Published December 1st 1991 by Simon Spotlight Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about My Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Girl

j
I just rewatched the movie for the first time in about 20 years and was like "where is the scene where Veda and Thomas J have a contest over who can pee the longest?" and I realized that part is only in the novelization. But I can see the scene in my brain! Weird. Also I read the book before I saw the movie, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Also weird: This movie came out in 1991 and is set in 1972. It has now been longer since the movie came out than the difference between those two ti
Havanna
How would you feel if your mom was dead, your grandmother was loopy and your dad was an undertaker? Vada, the main character in “My Girl” by Patricia Hermes knows how that feels. This book is based on the motion picture by Laurice Elehwany. This is a realistic fiction book.
In this book, Vada lives with her father and her grandmother in a very large house were funerals take place. Vada is a tomboy. She is 11 years and and has one friend named Thomas J. Over the Summer Break, Vada experiences her
Kristy
Oh my gosh I LOVED this book and movie as a kid! I don't know why because it is so freakin' sad, but sometimes I like sad things!
Jasmine
When i was little, i watched the movie version of this book. At the time, i didn't know what half of the things they were talking about were. But as i grew older, i began to understand and comprehend the events that happened in the story. This book was my childhood written in paperback. When i first read the book, i was overcome with tears and filled with joy all at the same time. I always was excited to re-read it, but at the same time i didn't want to because of those lingering feelings of sad ...more
Larissa
My girl

My girl by: Patricia Hermes is about a bond with Vada and Thomas J. which is so tight that it will never be broken. They live right next to each other; Vada who is 11 needs a best friend since her mother has perished. Though Vada thinks of him as a dork he is still her best friend. Thomas J. is often made fun of because of his small size, skinny figure, being allergic to everything and his huge glasses that magnify his eyes. Vada’s internal conflict is small but mighty she wants to marr
Oct 07, 2008 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with a mushy heart!!! HAHA
Recommended to Laura by: My mom
What happened in this book was sad, I actually started crying while I was reading it!!!! Don't tell anyone... This book was about a girl that lost her mom when she was born. Simualar to what wer're reading in English yet different! "Vada" her nickname learns how to cope with people, cause her dad works all the time down in the basement because he is an undertaker, and her grandmother doesn't even talk and shes a little on the crazy side it's good to have at least one best friend who in this case ...more
Monica
Apr 07, 2014 Monica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This book gets me every time...yup, made me cry again. This is only my 45th time reading it and I've seen the movie about as many times but yup, made me cry again. It has probably been 15+ years since I last read it but I still knew what was coming and yup, made me cry again.

Which came first the chicken or the egg or the book or the movie? It doesn't really matter they are very similar and both amazing.

This book was a staple of my childhood. I grew up with Vada (who was actually my cousin Ruth
Windy Hill
This book was one of the few outstanding stories of true friendship that I have read in a long time. These types of novels aren't often found on bookshelves anymore. The story My Girl, by Patricia Hermes was written in the 1990's. The many characters live a simple life without having the choice of the modern day technology instead of riding your bike around town with your best friend. Throughout the story these two kids went through troubles and temptations in their friendship. Towards the end o ...more
Elaene
I forgot I read this a long time ago! Mi Mami lo encontro en mi cuarto y la volvi a leer !! I loved the Movie, but I really loved the book more !!!
Mimi Lovell
I read this in about 4th grade.... 1990 maybe. Loved it.
Dionne Dayaon
Mostly boring until you get to the antepenultimate chapter.
Mandi
Gah! So sad that I didn't read this as a girl! So wonderfully poignant and real.
J.N.
Basically the book version of the movie. There might be a few scenes that are new or altered since the book is from Vada's point-of-view. The author did a good job telling the story through the eyes of an eleven-year-old. I probably would have liked this better if I were younger. I believe the movie is better, but still kind of neat to see a written version.
Meredith
Probably the saddesnt book I've ever read. By the end I was practically drowning in tears and don't even get me started with the movie. I truly respect anyone who can read this book or watch the movie without crying. Any author who can make me cry like that has clearly written a good book. Also, you should see Fly Away Home, it's a movie, but she wrote the book.
Amanda
Summer
This book is a book about the joys of friendship. Growing up Vada and Thomas J. had always had each other to depend on and enjoy life with, but when Thomas J. dies Vada must learn to appreciate the time she had with Thomas J. while continuing on with her life. This book is a good book for helping children see what a great gift friendship are.
Sammantha Hake
I have read this book a million times. :) This is the first book that actually made me cry. You know, at the part where she's reading the weeping willow poem. It is one of the best books in the whole world. I think I'll go read it again!! I loved the movie and this book is great!!
Natalie Walker
Feb 02, 2010 Natalie Walker rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Natalie by: my mother
I found that I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I loved the film, and so I decided to buy, and read the book.
No matter how many times I read it, it always makes me cry :)
It is a definate must-read!
It really makes you think about things clearly.
Randy
One of my favorites for sure. I think I got this book in grade school and was so excited when I found it in the attic. I read it again. I think I have probably read this book a dozen times. Everytime I feel the need for a good cry.
Rachel
May 28, 2008 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preteen girls, or girls of any age
Recommended to Rachel by: no one, i found it myself (:
i read this book back in like 2nd or 3rd grade
i've always loved it

and funnily
i JUST found out that the book was written AFTER the movie.
but it's still a really really good book.
Lauren
Nothing about this story is something that I like or would ever want to read again. The characters put me off right away and I just wasn't able to get into the story.
أمل
This is a good book It is about a girl who is trying to find her place in the world and who she is Thomas helps her too. Her mother died when she was a baby..
Hanna
I loved this book the first time I read it in late elementary school. I want to re-read it this year during the week we're at my parents' house.
Jodi
This book (and movie) made me cry like a bitch! It wa really cute, funny, and sad at some parts. I read this when I was pretty young.
Kellie Elmore
The very first book I ever read. I wasn't into books at all & then I picked this one up and I could not lay it down! Thats a big deal!
Moe_127
I don't know why, but at the time I was totally obsessed with this movie. The book came after, and I of course, loved it too.
Icka
LOVE the book! LOVE the movie!! In fact, I saw the movie on TV yesterday so i got to catch the ending. It always makes me cry.
Noirfifre
Easy read, entertaining, evoking memories of my childhood. There are moments of sadness and your heart will be touched.
Leslie
I liked the movie better still it was a short fun read. I am glad I am past the awkward age of 11.
Bhavya
Such a beautiful,innocent story...it will touch you to the core!...Loved it!
  • Devil in Vienna
  • The Winning Pony (Pony Pals, #21)
  • Sunny: Diary 1 (California Diaries, #2)
  • Broken Hearts (Fear Street Superchiller, #4)
  • So Much to Live for (Dawn Rochelle, #3)
  • Wish Come True (Carson Springs Novel)
  • When She Was Good
  • To Save a Life (To Save a Life, #1)
  • Almost Famous (Talent, #2)
  • The Older Boy (Sweet Valley Twins #15)
  • Hook
  • PaperQuake: A Puzzle
  • Captive Embraces (Captive, #2)
Our Strange New Land (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #1) The Starving Time (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #2) Koda (Horse Diaries, #3) You Shouldn't Have to Say Goodbye Westward to Home (My America: Joshua's Oregon Trail Diary, #1)