Start by marking “Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)

Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles #1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  48,541 ratings  ·  1,773 reviews
Cimorene is everything a princess is not supposed to be: headstrong, tomboyish, smart - and bored. So bored that she runs away to live with a dragon - and finds the family and excitement she's been looking for.

Cover illustrator: Peter de Sève
Published November 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 18th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Dealing with Dragons, please sign up.

Daylightdarkness I read it about second grade. (I was an advanced reader, about sixth or seventh grade level at the time) I would recommend it for anyone who enjoys…moreI read it about second grade. (I was an advanced reader, about sixth or seventh grade level at the time) I would recommend it for anyone who enjoys sassy fantasy books, but the target is probably about 3rd-sixth grade girls. Very strong female main character.(less)

Khanh (Kittens, Rainbows, and Sunshine)
"He doesn't seem very impressed," Cimorene commented in some amusement.
"Why should he be?" Kazul said.
"Well, you're a dragon," Cimorene answered, a little taken aback.
"What difference does that make to a cat?"
Before Harry Potter, there was Princess Cimorene, a dragon named Kazul, and the Enchanted Forest. I am no longer a 11-year old girl. I am a grown-ass woman, and I still love this book as much as I did the first time I read it.

Share this book with your sisters, your daughters, your nieces....more
Keith
This is the first book of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. My daughter read them when she was at the point where reading changes from being work to being fun. So it was one of the first "serious" books (> 100 pages and no pictures) that she read on her own for pleasure. First my wife read the series aloud to her. Then she read them all to herself. Then she read this book out loud to me.

The story is told from the point of view of Princess Cimorene. She's a curious, intelligent girl who hates t...more
Bobby
I would place this book somewhere between The Ordinary Princess and the Harry Potter series in terms of complexity of plot, age appropriateness and the amount of fun I had reading it. I really enjoyed reading this book and likely would have given it 5 stars if I had read it at a younger age (say at the age of 8 years or so). As it is, after Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, it's hard to give this book 5 stars. Having said that, this is a very interesting story of a Princess who detests traditi...more
Michelle
Aug 30, 2007 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the wonderful ladies out there whose dying for innocent childlike humor
This is my happy book. I read it when I was in middle school and I love it because its not your average fairy tale. Yes you have princess's and prince's and yes you have dragons and wizards and magic but it's not exactly like the common tale of where the prince slays the dragon with the wizard to help him act clever to save the damsel in distress and or princess. No no it's more of the princess becomes friends with a dragon and when a prince comes and saves her she tells them to go away.

Sick and...more
Tanis
I found this book at the library and I was so excited because I read it a couple of times when I was younger, in 4th or 5th grade I think. So it's a kid's book but it is so much fun. Great fantasy and tons of humor. You can't help but laugh, at least I couldn't! Funny story related to this book. Back when I first read this, when I was younger, like I said, I had a friend my age who also read it. Well, she and I happened to have some little plastic toy dragons and wizards and we'd use them to act...more
Lau
Jul 08, 2014 Lau rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lau by: Goodread's Readers Also Enjoyed
Hacen falta más princesas como Cimorene. Además de que sea un libro divertidísimo, original, lleno de humor inocente y bastante irreverente con los cuentos de hadas, Cimorene es realmente mi tipo de princesa.

Basta de damicelas débiles que esperan ser rescatadas. Ella, harta de la aburridísima vida de palacio y clases de bordado, siguiendo el "consejo" de un sapo que habla decide escaparse e irse a vivir con un grupo de dragones.
Cimorene no es sumisa, ni recatada... ni rubia. Es la única de toda...more
blindmouse
YA comic fantasy. Book 1 of the Enchanted Forest series. Cimorene is not a proper princess. She learns fencing, cooking and magic, and when she discovers her proposed marriage, she runs away to offer herself to a dragon. She's been told that they like to keep princesses, and she thinks that this is one princessly thing that she could possibly do.

This was charming, but light on substance. It may have been more original when it was written, but it feels derivative now. Fairy tales are powerful tex...more
Miss M
I'm re-reading this fantastic series that I fell in love when I was a kid. It's a great story about a princess who thinks being a princess is incredibly boring. Etiquette and dancing lessons all day? She would much rather learn fencing or magic, thank you very much! But that just isn't done. So she runs away and volunteers to become a dragon's princess (A vocation which is usually only acquired when one is captured by a dragon).

This book has a great female protagonist, lots of humor, and puts a...more
Swankivy
I was told I'd like this because it's kind of untraditional, but it's untraditional in a totally traditional way. Rebelling inside the pen, if you will. It was cute anyway.
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Princess Cimorene is tired of embroidery, etiquette, and protocol classes. She wants to take Latin, fencing, magic, and cooking lessons instead. But, that's just "not done." So to avoid a betrothal to a handsome and charming (but not particularly bright) prince, she runs away to become housekeeper for a dragon. As a dragon's princess, Cimorene gets the freedom to cook and clean and to organize libraries and treasure rooms. She also has to fend off persiste...more
MacK
Almost every story you read has some root in a story that was already told. The familiar notes of mythology and fairy tales appear again and again in literature, but in those books that start with a familiar structure and then leap into unexpected there’s something special to be found.

That’s what I thought as I sped my way through Dealing With Dragons a local favorite here in Minnesota, and one that my wife Kristina loved when she was young. But this is not simply a childhood favorite, it’s a ge...more
Ann
I didn't read this when it was "all the rage" in the early '90s when it was published, so I was curious to see how much I'd like it all these years later and coming to it as an adult. Turns out, I liked it quite a lot!

I think the concept is delightful: In a world where princesses are constantly being rescued from dragons by princes (and consequently married to said princes), Cimorene is a princess who *chooses* to go work for a dragon -- and not because she wants to be rescued by a prince, but b...more
Elevetha
Book 1 of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. Funny and well-written, this one, though the main protagonist is a girl, can certainly be enjoyed by both young men and women alike. The princess Cimorene is bored and more bored at the castle by her princessy duties and refinement. So she runs off into the forest and ends up living with and keeping house for a dragon even though Kazul didn't want her. Princes from kingdoms all over race to rescue her from the horrid beast. Cimorene sends them away. She...more
Amy
This book twists some of the normal fairy tale conventions upside down. A young girl is bored with life as a princess and so runs away to be a dragon's princess. As a dragon's princess, she finds companionship and is allowed the freedom to be herself.
In this world, wizards are mostly evil and can be melted with buckets of soapy lemon water. Dragons borrow kitchen items from neighbors and like to drink tea.
Cimorene soon finds herself in the middle of political intrigue between the dragons and th...more
Kim
I can see now why Caitlin likes this book so much. It was short but fun and there wasn't really a dull or slow moment. And the main character is exactly how I'd picture Caitlin being in a similar situation. She's determined to do things her way and not be bound by tradition. Oh and of course she loves dragons.

Whilst this was a really enjoyable book I'm not exactly the target audience and I felt that at times. This was written for girls (and thankfully is a role model they could aspire to rather...more
Erika
Fun book. Fantasy about a princess sick of tradition and running away from just following "how it always was done" and becoming a princess willingly belonging to a dragon. Lots of great humor.
Mary Catelli
This is the second in the The Enchanted Forest Chronicles. Ignore all the listings of it as first, and read Talking to Dragons first. That was published first, and this works better as an after-the-fact explanation.

But we have Cimorene, your typical princess nowadays, who doesn't want to do anything princessly, who runs away to be a dragon's princess instead of marrying the chosen prince -- or, for that matter, waiting to be abducted.

Her adventures wind on from there -- involving her offering a...more
Tanja Berg
I loved this book! I'm a little suprised because it sat in my to-read pile for quite a while and did not seem the least bit enticing. The cover with the surly dragon and arrogantly chatting princess probably had something to do with it. I picked it up reluctantly, read the first page as a test and immediately realized that I would like it.

"Dealing with Dragons" is a refreshing fairytale with a somewhat unlady-like princess. I say "somewhat" because princess Cimorene has been well-brought up and...more
Larou
Feb 19, 2012 Larou added it
Shelves: 2011-11, fantasy
I do not read much in the way of children’s literature or literature for adolescents, but I do make the occasional exception if something catches my fancy. I had read good things about Patricia Wrede’s Enchanted Forest series and it looked charming, so I decided to give it a try and got myself the boxed set a while ago. When I recently had to spend a day in bed due to being sick, I plucked the first volume off my TBR pile, and it turned out to be the perfect read for the occasion.[return][return...more
Morgan
One of my all-time favorite fantasy stories. This book follows Princess Cimorene, a very un-princess-like princess. Constantly bored with learning etiquitte, embroidery, and how to lure a prince, she entertains herself sneaking around the castle and learning everything from fencing, to latin, to how to make the perfect cheries jubilee. One day, Princess Cimorene discovers her parents have arranged a marriage to a typical (handsome and, well, stupid) prince. Knowing she would rather be dead, she...more
Christine Smith
I loved this book.

It's again one for pre-teens. It's got such an amazing story line and I couldn't get enough of this. I'll be definitely reading the rest of the series.

The story starts with a very tomboyish princess, called Cimorene, who reminds me off....

description

She decided to get away from everything and ran away, that's when Kazul captured her.

description

Chimorene reach out to her kidnapper and befriended him, and ended up not wanting to be rescued.

The evil villain in this story is a wizard, and as I don't li...more
Alana
I discovered Patricia C. Wrede when I was ten or eleven years old after stumbling upon Dealing with Dragons on the bookstore shelf. Having recently started reading YA fantasy novels (aka having only read Tamora Pierce), Wrede represented a lighter, wittier strand of fantasy that made her books a quickly-devoured delight and I was only sorry not to have more of them. This particular series features a strong female lead named Princess Cimorene (well, leads if one counts Kazul, the female dragon) w...more
Cecelia
In my early teenage years I was famous for a) reading classics, and b) for trying to find the biggest, fattest books possible. Goal? To find reads that would keep me occupied for more than one afternoon. I read several hefty James Michener sagas that way (Hawaii, anyone?). I also snuck in some fantasy from the local library’s Teen section (now I’d call it a combo of YA & MG).

One of the books I checked out over and over was Patricia C. Wrede’s Dealing with Dragons. Eventually I bought myself...more
Kaethe
2004 or 2005
October 6, 2007

Currently reading aloud to the Possum - She's decided to carry on on her own in favor of me reading The Mysterious Howling. Well, I can't blame her. That's also a good one.

July 20, 2014

I originally read this series out loud to the girls when they were wee. Going back, I didn't recall much except that we had all enjoyed them. Some of the things I had forgotten: that Cimorene had studied fencing and Latin and that she was unusually tall, all now true of the eldest daught...more
zjakkelien
Absolutely lovely. I was worried that this book might be a bit too young, but it didn't bother me at all. And it is absolutely charming. I had many grins and a few laughs reading this book, but more importantly, this book turns so many conventions upside down, and then shows you this is good. An excellent message for any book, but perhaps particularly for a book aimed at a younger audience. Princesses don't have to be blond, blue-eyed and passive: they can be interesting, strong-willed, and have...more
Sharon
There isn't much to say about this book. it's hilarious. unconventional, the solutions to the problems are so simple you must aprreciate them. espicially in a time authors try to make things so complicated that their solution and endings seem rushed and diappointing.

Cimorene is fantastic, and the crictism Wrede makes on the usual fairytales is in it's place. so read it, really, do.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Oct 13, 2007 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sassy princesses
Etiquette, shmetiquette! Dragons and cherries jubilee are much more fun. Cimorene is a princess who gets fed up with the etiquette and embroidery, and runs off to get a job for a dragon named Kazul. If only those pesky princes would leave her alone and stop trying to rescue her!
A very funny spoof of stories of dragons and princesses. I love the melting wizards!
Percy Jackson
It's a great book! The princess Cimmorene was tired of being a princess! She tried learning magic, fencing, and cooking, but her parents stopped her with each one before she could learn much, because her parents, the king and queen, say its not proper for a princess to learn those things! When her parents are about to make her marry a prince she doesn't want to marry, she decides she's done! A talking frog tells her to go to a special place in the woods, where she finds herself volunteering to b...more
Misty
Very cute and funny; think I would have loved this as a kid.
Stephanie Jobe
I always equate this book with The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch with art by Michael Martchenko. I put them in a special category in my head that I call unconventional princesses. Princess Cimorene enjoys doing things that princesses are not supposed to do. When her parents make plans to marry her off she follows the advice of a frog and runs away. She runs into some dragons and becomes the first ever volunteer to be a dragon’s princess. Soon she is completely messing with the system. She...more
  • Dragon's Milk (Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • Into the Land of the Unicorns (Unicorn Chronicles, #1)
  • Tris's Book (Circle of Magic, #2)
  • Wren to the Rescue (Wren, #1)
  • Heart's Blood (The Pit Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragon's Bait
  • The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight (The Squire's Tales, #6)
  • So You Want to Be a Wizard (Young Wizards, #1)
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se...more
More about Patricia C. Wrede...
Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2) Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3) Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4) Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1) The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1-4)

“Well,” said the frog, “what are you going to do about it?”

“Marrying Therandil? I don’t know. I’ve tried talking to my parents, but they won’t listen, and neither will Therandil.”

“I didn’t ask what you’d said about it,” the frog snapped. “I asked what you’re going to do. Nine times out of ten, talking is a way of avoiding doing things.”
163 likes