Start by marking “Hereticus” as Want to Read:
Hereticus

Hereticus (Eisenhorn #3)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  1,370 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
In this concluding novel of Dan Abnett's sensational trilogy, a dark figure from the past returns to exact a cruel vengeance upon Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn.
Published July 30th 2002 by Games Workshop(uk)

To ask other readers questions about Hereticus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hereticus

johan _5179
Sep 10, 2013 johan _5179 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Usually when we read a series, its quality goes down. The cliches appear, the setting gets stale, and the story is taken for a ride. Eisenhorn, I am very happy to say, breaks that trend.

Hereticus is a book of great sadness, a tome which brings the career of a celebrated Inquisitor and a great character to a close. The book is a good way to actually understand just how much you care for these characters. Abnett plays with the readers in a masterful way, making us hang on to every word, and he doe
Martin
Apr 03, 2014 Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warhammer-40k
If ‘Malleus’ was about choices then ‘Hereticus’ is about consequences.

It’s said that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, in which case ‘Hereticus’ details the reaction to the choices that the main character, Gregor Eisenhorn, has made up to the start of this novel. The choices that he made during his career as an Imperial Inquisitor have not always been easy. They have been hard, controversial, and some damn right blasphemous but they were all made in service to the Emperor
Criminalwolf
Jan 02, 2015 Criminalwolf rated it liked it
Shelves: wh40k
Nice read, though I thought the resolution was a bit quick.
Kam
Jun 07, 2013 Kam rated it really liked it
As I have mentioned before, in my review of Rapture, the last book of Kameron Hurley's incredible Bel Dame Apocrypha trilogy, I have a hard time staying away from the last book in a trilogy. Under normal circumstances I would space out my reading, but when I'm so close to the conclusion of a series I can practically taste it, this self-imposed rule tends to get broken for the sake of finding out, once and for all, just what happened to the characters in the book I just finished.

And this is the c
Diana H.
Jan 03, 2017 Diana H. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
So, I have to admit that I'm a sucker for the happy ending, but...
The Eisenhorn trilogy doesn't necessarily have a happy or tragic ending. It just takes the path needed to resolve and tie up the ends of the plot lines that needed to be completed for the series to come to a logical end. I have completely enjoyed this trilogy (even though I don't play these games).
This morning, before I even started to write my review, I went online to find a list of the books published by the Black Library so I
Chip Hunter
Dec 31, 2016 Chip Hunter rated it it was amazing
Hereticus chronicles the climax of the Eisenhorn trilogy. As with the other two books of the trilogy, it is full of intense action and entertaining interactions between the characters. Some new and interesting characters are introduced here, including one of Eisenhorn's old lovers, that help to expand the overall story background. In this last novel, the whole world comes crashing down for our hero and a desperate and final confrontation with his arch enemy is finally forced.

Another exciting rea
Keri Honea
Feb 10, 2017 Keri Honea rated it really liked it
Unpredictable
So much death and betrayal
Loose ends all tied up
Stephen
Jan 09, 2017 Stephen rated it it was amazing
"Backdrop for crown and a half" was a great story.
Randall
Jan 01, 2017 Randall rated it really liked it
Excellent finale for the Eisenhorn Trilogy. Dan Abnett is a natural for Warhammer 40k.
Hermes Vasconcellos netto
Nov 01, 2015 Hermes Vasconcellos netto rated it really liked it
Big Pete
Oct 10, 2015 Big Pete rated it really liked it
Hereticus is the final book in the Eisenhorn cycle. It does not disappoint. Eisenhorn and most of his team are old now, but he's almost as spry as he used to be. The story is pretty great, though not quite as good as that of Malleus.
The novel is a mixture of chase and pursuit, it never being quite clear who is the cat and who is the mouse. It shares the same hybrid detective/interplanetary epic feel as the rest of the novels, though lacks the noir aspect that Malleus possessed. Eisenhorn is som
Ken
In Hereticus we witness Eisenhorn's change to radicalism, almost crossing over to becoming heretical as he goes against the very thoughts he once believed in and uses the power of the Warp against agents of the Warp. We see him struggle with his choices and the decisions over the use of the tainted knowledge. His organisation is destroyed and is hunted by a man know as Khanjar the Sharp. To make things worse, Eisenhorn is once again declared as a Heretic by the Inquisition for his involvement wi ...more
Наташа
Apr 05, 2011 Наташа rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Luu
Je až neuveriteľné, ako mohli byť minulé diely plné zakázanej mágie a chaosu a démonov a lovenia démonov a smrti a akcie a drámy a pritom byť TAKÉ NEZÁŽIVNÉ A NUDNÉ, keď sa to v závere dá podať takto. Chaos je konečne CHAOS a nie Eisenhornove dramatické nádychy na konci kapitoly. Ženy majú konečne podstatnejšie úlohy ako byť krásne a/alebo nebezpečné a ostávať v dôležitosti niekde v treťom rade. Och a tie zvraty. Wow. Čisté wow. Lebo TAKTO sa to robí - dobrý zvrat je niečo, čo vás prekvapí, nie ...more
Adriana
Feb 07, 2011 Adriana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: black-library
Doomsnake Nestrobber
Oct 14, 2009 Doomsnake Nestrobber rated it really liked it
Mel
Oct 18, 2012 Mel rated it liked it
I'm not a huge fan of Dan Abnett yet. I did quite enjoy this. There's just way too much action and not enough character building or world building. I really love the 40K setting but it seems that in far too many of the novels it just becomes a bit of background colour and nothing more. The most interesting parts in this involved the inquisitor and his use of heretic magic and the demon. But there was no growth or development that came out of this. I would love to read a strongly driven character ...more
Nathan
May 30, 2010 Nathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, reviewed-2010
This is probably the best book in the Eisenhorn Trilogy. In addition to being Abnett's typically well-written action book, he spends a bit more time on the human condition and on the choices that Inquisitor Eisenhorn makes to try and fight the evil that would engulf the galaxy.

Eisenhorn slips. He crosses the line. And he pays the price. All his friends pay the price. It doesn't end in an uplifting way, but it does end the series in a satisfying manner.

After all, in the Grim Darkness of the Far F
Jason
Sep 03, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it
A fitting ending to a rich adventure. While slightly disjointed, the major acts of this book contain some scenes of epic scope. The entire omnibus would make a fantastic movie series, and this final book proves it most resoundingly. And, curse you Abnett, the reintroduction of (view spoiler) as he's profoundly more interesting than the last time we spent with him, and (dare I sa ...more
Tim
Aug 08, 2011 Tim rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The final part in the Eisenhorn Trilogy. Where Malleus (Warhammer 40,000) left me a bit disappointed about the speed in the story, this part did not let me down at all.

The trilogy is a great starting point for anyone who wants to get to know the harsh reality of the Warhammer40K universe, and what place the Inquistion takes in that reality.
Жанна Пояркова
Apr 18, 2012 Жанна Пояркова rated it really liked it
Reality is that Eisenhorn likes demon power. All things which are capable to defeat chaos contains chaos. Eisenhorn is radical, he fell but can't fully realize this fact. Thus Eisenhorn brings herecy into the world just to defeat it after that. Suspicious way to serve God. Strange love affair between demon and man. Funniest thing is that he is too straight and can't understand situation.
Brian Turner
Feb 15, 2013 Brian Turner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
The final, and most intense book of the Eisenhorn trilogy.
Abnett really pulls all the stops out, dragging Eisenhorn closer to the edge he always said he wouldn't cross.

The characters really step up in this book. Fischig especially, as he reminds Eisenhorn of a promise made years ago.

There are tough choices to be made, and a thin line between doing the Emperors work and descending into Chaos.
Jose Vera
May 18, 2016 Jose Vera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gregor Eisenhorn se verá sobrepasado esta vez. Un enemigo implacable está buscando su destrucción y no se va a detener ante nada para conseguirlo. Eisenhorn tendrá que usar todos los recursos a su disposición para salvarse y salvar a la humanidad.

Hice una reseña del libro en mi blog:
Christopher Stilson
All the personal connection and emotion that should have been laced through the entire series is concentrated in one book, which makes it quite overwhelming. The situation is depressing, the ending abrupt, and the resolution... imperfect. Although, considering that the story takes place in a universe in which human society depends on a thousand deaths per day, this should not be surprising.
Chompa
Mar 23, 2009 Chompa rated it really liked it
A solid read, though a low note to end the trilogy on. I guess the dark & mysterious ending is in keeping with the setting though.
Tomasz Stachewicz
Jan 19, 2014 Tomasz Stachewicz rated it it was amazing
Great wrap-up and conclusion of the Eisenhorn trilogy. Hard to say more without spoiling, it's just enough to say that Dan Abnett, the best writer amongst Black Library, lives up to the expectations.
Alexander Suzdaltsev
Aug 07, 2013 Alexander Suzdaltsev rated it really liked it
3 книга цикла оказалась уныла в середине, но конец был неплохим. Единственно - скомкан конец. Есть продолжение или это весь цикл про Эйзенхорна?
Tyler Figueira
Tyler Figueira rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2013
Darren
Darren rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Michael Hollows
Michael Hollows rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2012
  • Warriors of Ultramar
  • Ragnar's Claw (The Space Wolves Omnibus, #2)
  • The Traitor's Hand
  • Grey Knights (Grey Knights, #1)
  • Blood Reaver
  • Kill Team
  • Faith and Fire
  • Dark Creed
  • Heroes of the Space Marines

Eisenhorn (3 books)
  • Xenos
  • Malleus

“Have you noticed we can breathe in here too?
Gosh, I wouldn't have picked up on that.”
26 likes