Start by marking “Malleus” as Want to Read:
Malleus

Malleus (Eisenhorn #2)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  1,471 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
In the 41st Millenium, the enemies of mankind are legion, omnipresent and utterly deadly. While the warriors of the Imperium fight with firepower and faith, the Holy Inquisition hunts the shadows for the most terrible of foes – rogue psykers, xenos, and daemons. Inquisitor Eisenhorn must track down and defeat the forces who would destroy him or face the wrath of the Ordo M ...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Black Library (first published December 27th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Malleus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Malleus

Martin
Apr 03, 2014 Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: warhammer-40k
'Malleus' is one of the better examples of novel "Sequelitis". What I mean by this is that the novel doesn't rehash the same old scenarios from the original but instead produce something new.

'Malleus' takes the characters and the world that was established in the original novel, 'Xenos', and then builds on it. The stakes are higher, the threats are more potent, and there is no guarantee of anyone's safety.

Nothing highlights this point more clearly than the Holy Novena on Thracian Primaris. A vic
johan _5179
Sep 08, 2013 johan _5179 rated it really liked it
Malleus is every bit as compelling as its predecessor, and since Xenos did a wonderful job of bringing me into contact with the series and the universe, Malleus had to serve as a cautious expansion which balanced description with story and it did that perfectly. Again, the greatest strength of the book is its setting, followed by the character development.

The first person narrative makes it very easy to see exactly how Eisenhorn's mind works, as he goes from moderate Puritanism to a pragmatic r
Christopher Stilson
For a first-person narrative, it's awfully impersonal, though the sense of personal jeopardy is much stronger throughout than was the case with the first, which felt detached after the first few chapters and only became relevant again past the two-thirds mark. One thing Abnett is very good at portraying is the rot and stagnation of the WH40K universe, through his emphasis on the passage of time. The primary disappointment is in how anticlimactic the climactic encounters are - for a series based ...more
Eeva Kulmala
Nov 07, 2015 Eeva Kulmala rated it really liked it
An exciting, epic space odyssey on a similar scale as the first one (Xenos), but with better pacing and more unified theme. Again I had a very gut-placed reaction to portions of this book which always impresses me about a book. Action and disaster on an epic scale, as is befitting of the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

If anything is to be criticized, it's that the book seems to end some fifty pages too short. The end is very abrupt and unsatisfying from any other perspective than the main character's
Nathan
May 30, 2010 Nathan rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, reviewed-2010
The second book in Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn Trilogy, it's pretty much the same type of story as the first book (Xenos).

The plot is a little more complex, the main character a little more complex, and the action even better written than before.

It's still a fluff book for the Warhammer 40k Universe, and if you aren't interested in that and haven't read the first book, it's probably not extraordinary enough to be worth a read.

I am glad that I read it.
Nate
Dec 07, 2015 Nate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come.
Kam
Jun 04, 2013 Kam rated it really liked it
Oftentimes, when one is reading a novel or a series of novels, something will happen that will indicate that there is no turning back: a decision is made, a course of action taken, or a death occurs that forever changes the course of the plot and, for better or worse, and nothing is the same ever again. In Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, that moment is, in my opinion, when the Fellowship breaks up after being attacked on the banks of the Bruinen in The Fellowship of the Ring: from that point, t ...more
Mike Salamida
Oct 28, 2016 Mike Salamida rated it liked it
Still good. What's interesting in this installment is the framing, the re-telling of the story from a much older Eisenhorn. Highlights are Eisenhorn's rumination about his past, an added depth that I hope will color the final book.
Stephen
Jan 09, 2017 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Loved the short story that went along.
Daniel
Sep 14, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short take:

This book is frickin awesome! The story hits a number of locations of which Abnett takes full advantage, especially on the mining planet. This book is like an epic fantasy with an intergalactic back-drop.

More thoughts:

Who is this Abnett person, and why did it take me so long to get to these books? Seriously, when it comes to adventurous fiction, these rank high in my reading history. The shared-world aspect leads to the odd reference I don't know, but otherwise this feels entirely
JM
Oct 26, 2016 JM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that Eisenhorn has kind of grown on me as a character. Though I enjoyed the previous novel in the trilogy, I kinda thought the protagonist was a bit of an asshole as well as a hypocrite, but I guess Abnett wrote him that way on purpose. Eisenhorn is, after all, an Imperial Inquisitor in the Oh-So-Edgy-And-Dark Warhammer 40,000 universe.

The running thread of this, much better, second novel is whether or not the ends justify the means, and to what extent, which I found an interestin
Keelee James
Oct 22, 2014 Keelee James rated it really liked it
Dan Abnett is the master of conveying exactly what it's like to be a part of the Imperium of Man in the grim darkness of the 41st millennium. Take this scene, wherein Eisenhorn visits the hallowed shrine world of Orbul Infanta. It is beautiful. It is awe-inspiring. Even I am kind of feeling my heart lift with wonder at the spectacle, praise for the God-Emperor on my lips. And then this happens.

"At the top of the stairs, we entered the blessed cool of the streets, where the shadows of the buildi
Ken
In Malleus, the Inquisition thinks that Eisenhorn is consorting with daemons and declares him Heretic and Extremis Diabolus. Eisenhorn decides to go rogue in order to gather the evidence needed to prove his innocence.

This story surprised me in a few ways. First the story begins ninety eight years after the events of Xenos, which is a pretty big time jump and somewhere in the middle one of the crew members have died but not much is said of that particular event. Second, in this book we also meet
Chip Hunter
Dec 31, 2016 Chip Hunter rated it really liked it
While I enjoyed reading this book very much, it just didn't quite live up to my expectations after reading Xenos. Malleus just didn't seem put together as carefully as Xenos, seeming a bit forced to me the whole way through. Parts of the book were rushed by with hardly any explanation and other parts seemd included just as an attempt to get some immediate action. At the same time some things about this book were better than the first one. The interactions between Eisenhorn and Cherubael, as well ...more
Michael
Jun 28, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
I am growing to appreciate both the Warhammer 40K universe and Dan Abnett's writing style more with each book I read. There is an amount of honesty I can appreciate in their unapologetic offerings of what I supposed could be considered pulp science fiction. These books aren't Hemingway, but never claim or attempt to be. I suppose if that's what I was looking for I could go read Hemingway.

Malleus is an improvement over the preceding Eisenhorn entry, Xenos. My only complaint is that the climax and
Mel
Jul 30, 2012 Mel rated it really liked it
This started really strongly and for the first half I think was one of my favourite 40k books. It seemed like for the first time there were actually women in the universe of 40k! Granted it still seemed about two thirds male, but was getting much closer than previous books. The women characters were more interesting and had more important roles. I really enjoyed the first two thirds of the book but then the plot seemed to fall apart a bit and in the end I felt like not much had really happened. ...more
PsypherPunk
Jan 10, 2013 PsypherPunk rated it liked it
What is it I don't like about the Eisenhorn books? Not to say I actively dislike them but there's just something so damnably matter-of-fact about them. Maybe it's the first person narration ("I'm going to skip over vast periods of time and then pause to describe every sword stroke in minute detail..."), maybe it's the seemingly off-handed way in which 40k's Big Bad is referenced, demoting it from adversary to all-pervasive irritant.

In any case, it's still an entertaining romp around the galaxy.
Наташа
Apr 05, 2011 Наташа rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Все так же шикарно, хочется читать дальше, хочется прочитать еще и о Рейвеноре.
Над Эйзенхорном сгущаются тучи, большие такие, темные... Вот она великая философия Случая и Выбора во всей его красе. Извечный вопрос Грани которая будет отделять подвиг от преступления. Хотя мне кажется начать, сделать в итоге сделать все Так, да при таких обстоятельствах это еще надо уметь. Он был так близок и...

А пилоны некронов и правда были способны противодействовать варпу...
Michal
Jul 10, 2016 Michal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Pokračovanie príbehu o Inkvizítorovi Eisenhornovi nadväzuje na prvú knihu, avšak nevykráda ju. Rozvíja postavy, predstavuje nové a šikovne používa predošlý dieľ na odhalenie ďalšej časti príbehu. V ňom tentoraz predstaví aj vnútorné záležitosti inkvizície, rozkoly a rôzne postupy pri vyšetrovaniach.

Dan Abnett opäť dokázal ako skvele dokáže gradovať dej. Každému záujemcovi o detektívky či Warhammer 40 000 môžem iba odporučiť.
Tim
Apr 11, 2011 Tim rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Although not as good as the first book (Xenos (Warhammer 40,000)), it's still highly entertaining.

My biggest gripe about this one was that it became a tad predictable from the middle onward. And while the first book made me want to read this book, this one actually makes me a bit reluctant to read the final one of the trilogy
Chompa
Mar 05, 2009 Chompa rated it it was amazing
I have not enjoyed a novel this much in quite a while. Abnett is actually quite masterful at painting a scene. The parade scene was a pleasure to read. Wow... I don't want to spoil it, but but wow.

I particularly liked that so much time had passed between the first and second novels. Eisenhorn had grown both as a person, but also in his cadre of helpers. Quite a contrast and very well handled.

Moving on to book 3 tonight.
Anto Desormeaux Matthei
May 19, 2013 Anto Desormeaux Matthei rated it really liked it
The storyline is really great. The writing is good. I only wish the characters had more depth, and that they were more engaging for the reader. Most deaths don't really cause an emotional reaction. I found that the suspense and concern I felt was inadequate for the level of danger that prevailed during the book. Other than that, it was really good fun.
Brian Turner
Feb 15, 2013 Brian Turner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Second book in the Eisenhorn trilogy.
More action as Eisenhorn finds himself on the run after being accused of heresy with friends turning against him.
Not sure who to trust, he gathers his closest allies around him to find out who is behind the scheme.
More interesting characters and plenty of action.
Jose Vera
May 04, 2016 Jose Vera rated it really liked it
Una nueva amenaza se cierne sobre el Imperio Humano. Nuevos y poderosos enemigos están aliados con viejos demonios buscando destruir la luz eterna del Dios Emperador. El inquisidor Eisenhorn tendrá que trabajar en las sombras para resarcir su nombre y salvar a la humanidad.

Hice una reseña del libro en mi blog:
Adriana
Feb 07, 2011 Adriana rated it really liked it
Shelves: black-library
Kurt Criscione
May 15, 2013 Kurt Criscione rated it liked it
Shelves: black-library
Didn't like how the arc of the 3 books went and "wrapped" up here... though it didn't 100% stick to the Black Library Formula which is starting to bother me... so yeah... Writing and stylistically the book is a 4 maybe 5 just certain events stop me from going higher.
Alan
Jan 26, 2013 Alan rated it liked it
I didn't like this as much as the first Eisenhorn book. It was more pedestrian (with the exception of the parade scene, which is great), and the ending was, I thought, pretty disappointing. I doubt I'll bother with the last one, or any other WH40K any time soon.
John Wilkos
Oct 18, 2015 John Wilkos rated it liked it
This second eisenhorn book was fun, too, but it felt like it had a lot of loose ends left wide open and the ending didn't quite feel satisfying or well earned, compared to the stellar first book. Still worthwhile, check it out!
Criminalwolf
Sep 13, 2014 Criminalwolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sf, wh40k
I liked this one better than the first book in the trilogy. The narrator is still very dry and distant to read. Unfortunately I forgot about several of the supporting characters almost immediately. The story was very interesting and sometimes I couldn't put it down at all.
Katsuro Ricksand
Jan 24, 2017 Katsuro Ricksand rated it really liked it
Even better than the first book in the series. Highly recommended.
Goodreads Librari...: Odd first published date 3 21 Sep 02, 2014 01:14PM
  • Ragnar's Claw (The Space Wolves Omnibus, #2)
  • Warriors of Ultramar
  • Grey Knights (Grey Knights, #1)
  • The Traitor's Hand