Start by marking “Root Beer Lady: The Story Of Dorothy Molter” as Want to Read:
Root Beer Lady: The Story Of Dorothy Molter

Root Beer Lady: The Story Of Dorothy Molter

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  19 reviews
An ice-cold glass of root beer and a warm welcome greeted thousands of weary paddlers who stopped at the Isle of Pines to meet Dorothy Molter, the courageous, independent woman who became a North Woods legend. Bob Cary, Dorothy's longtime friend, captures the life and spirit of the Boundary Waters' last permanent resident, the Root Beer Lady.
Published June 14th 2002 by Univ Of Minnesota Press (first published September 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Root Beer Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Root Beer Lady

Linda
Interesting way of life. Unbeleivable how strong that woman was to survive in the wilderness.
Susan Fetterer
I am enamored with the BWCA ---- the million acre wilderness area in northern Minnesota. I have visited Ely multiple times yearly for 18 years and there's still so much more to explore. It is a place that brings peace to your soul, and I am fortunate to have a son living a wonderful life in that area. Hence the multiple annual visits. The story of Dorothy Molter is an inspiration. She was unique, having a life foreign to women during her lifetime. She lived alone for decades on the remote Isle o ...more
Dianne
Aug 11, 2014 Dianne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dianne by: Book Club
As I have said before, I enjoy reading non-fiction books such as this. I guess it could be called a biography. I can't imagine living in the boundary waters area in the winter. Winter seems long enough down here in southern Minnesota. But I enjoyed reading about this strong, gentle woman and her life in the boundary waters. This is the book club selection for August. I got it read in time.
Terry
If you've ever been to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA) or want to go in the future, this book captures the allure of this northern Minnesota wilderness area. Dorothy Molter lived there for 56 years (1930 - 1986)and met many thousands of canoeists who would stop at her home on Isle of Pines and drink a home-made root beer. While I have canoed in the BWCA on several occasions through the 1980s, I never had the opportunity to meet Dorothy. After reading this book, I realize what I missed. It' ...more
Deenie Higgins
Very adventurous lady! Good story
Jill
Inspiring and fascinating glimpse into the life of an amazing woman. The excerpts from her Christmas letters were delightful.
Sep 29, 2013 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: campers
Recommended to Laura by: found it in the MN section of Library
Great history of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. She is very inspiring. When I go up to Ely, I'll have to check out the Museum. (rootbeerlady.com) It's nice she lived the way she wanted. Worked hard and had her own place in such a beautiful country. I'm glad she got to stay there despite the people trying to kick her out.
Shawn Peyton
The story of Dorothy Molter is incredible. I had the chance of meeting her once as a kid shortly before she passed. I count myself quite lucky after haveing read this book. The feats she was capable of make me ashamed of every time I though a portage was too long or tough. May her spirit always resonate in the BWCA wilderness.
Julz
Just got back from a BWCA trip. We went to the Harvest Moon Festival and it was HOT! The Dorothy Molter booth called out, "Ice cold root beer"! This was a done deal for the Mr. I was curious about this "Root Beer Lady." Good book, VERY quick read. If you are interested in the BWCA, put it on your book list!
Joel K
i loved this book. its not really good writing but a good book none the less. if i could rewrite this book i would make it more dramatic. it was kinda borning in that sence. she lived to be like 80 i though that was cool. i wish they would talk more about the sene after her death. it must have ben crazy.
Rhonda
A fun read, I love local and regional books, particularily those of the north woods and North Shore of Minnesota. This was fun to read, down home and comfy. I've since been to the relocated cabin of Dorothy Molter and it was extra fun after having read the book. Good local lore.
Sue
If you've ever paddled the BWCA in northern Minnesota, you have to read this book about Dorothy Molter, the hermit who lived on the Knife Lake chain all her life. She was a mentor for me growing up. It's a great walk down memory lane.
Scott Block
What a lady! I'd you're a fan of the BWCAW then you will enjoy this book. If you're a fan of strong, courageous pioneer women, you'll love this book even more.
Lavonne
Read this book in a few days - It's about Dorothy Molter who lived up in the BWCA. Interesting lifestyle, not the best writing. Read it more for the history.
Roger
It's not all that well written - but it is a MUST read for anyone who has been to the BCWA, or is planning to go. I've read it two or three times.
Roberta
Good book about how an unbelievable woman lived off the land in Northern Minnesota and made the best of it!
Dorothy Molter was the last permanent resident of the BWCA. She was truly an amazing woman.
Marti
May 26, 2009 Marti marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who canoed Knife Lake in the Boundary Waters from 1934-1986
This book was written after the death of my husband's family friend, Dorothy Molter.
Mark
Dorothy Molter is now my hero.
Kasia Koller
Kasia Koller is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2015
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Jay Lash
Jay Lash marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Tales From Jackpine Bob Born to Pull Ely Echoes: The Portages Grow Longer (Minnesota) Bush Pilots The All-American Outhouse: Stories, Design & Construction