Start by marking “Arrest-Proof Yourself: An Ex-Cop Reveals How Easy It Is for Anyone to Get Arrested, How Even a Single Arrest Could Ruin Your Life, and What to Do If the Police Get in Your Face” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  200 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
This essential “how not to” guide explains how to act and what to say in the presence of police to minimize the chances of being arrested and to avoid add-on charges—which can often lead to permanent disqualification from jobs, financing, and education. Citizens can learn how to avoid arrest both on the street and when pulled over in a vehicle and are alerted to basic tric ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Chicago Review Press

To ask other readers questions about Arrest-Proof Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arrest-Proof Yourself

Syntactical Disruptorize
Legal advice from a former policeman, FBI agent, and prosecutor. Obey his three rules ("If cops can't see you, they can't arrest you," "Keep your dope at home," and "Give cops your name and basic info, then shut the heck up!") and you'll be well on the way to relative legal safety. It's a bit long for that level of content, but still might be useful to read to completion.
chubs
Nov 03, 2010 chubs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: justice
I gave this book 5 stars because it confirms all sorts of horrible hunches I've had about the police. If you're a civil libertarian, it will terrify you. If you're not a civil libertarian, it will still terrify you. Carson outright admits that the government police and courts rely on shaking down the poor because they are the most vulnerable and visible. They are then slapped with a readily checked criminal record that follows them for life and can make anything other than menial employment impo ...more
Jeff
Dec 20, 2012 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Ever been arrested? Even if you're not guilty or the case was dismissed, this book argues that an arrest is seen as a conviction and therefore a life of low-wage work.

This may seem like catastrophizing, but the author argues that if you've ever been arrested, people will think "Certainly, he/she MUST have been doing SOMETHING wrong!"

Some places will terminate (read: "lay off") ANY employee with an arrest record or unpaid tickets. I saw first-hand how my university's dining hall used "internal r
Adrian Charles
Apr 21, 2011 Adrian Charles rated it really liked it
Pros:
- Intelligent, witty writing
- An approachable, easy read
- An excellent, sympathetic account of the perspective of policemen, written by an ex-cop
- Reasonably good advice on how to deal with cops
- Generally admits the existence of individual and institutional misbehaviour; provides good, pragmatic advice on how to manage such incidents

Cons:
- Stereotype-friendly
- Promotes false stereotypes of poor people and minorities
- Conflates poverty and stupidity
- Makes false statements about institutio
Mike Fox
Nov 23, 2011 Mike Fox rated it really liked it
Very interesting read on the modern police mentality written by a former cop. Police are the sharks and the citizens are the fish. The cops try and rack up points to advance their careers by maximizing arrests rather than focusing on protecting people. There was a particularly funny chapter on "jits," short for jitter bugs, which are people who have no concept of time. They literally live in the moment and won't show up for a court date because they don't know how to use a calendar. Bottom line ...more
Ari Sims
Dec 02, 2013 Ari Sims rated it really liked it
I came across this book unintentionally and the title captured my attention. I started to read it and couldn't put it down. It was very informative and not only gave good tips on how to deal with the police but also warned about what can happen to your entire life after just 1 small police encounter. I can only wish I had this book a couple of years ago. When I have kids, I'm definitely letting them read this book so they can learn about their rights and the consequences of getting involved with ...more
Farfignugen
May 04, 2015 Farfignugen rated it it was amazing
This was a great, entertaining book on what its like to be a cop, and what its like to a criminal, and how to use that knowledge to stay out of the slammer.

The book goes into great detail just how awful it is to have an arrest record, and even worse to have a felony conviction.

I found especially entertaining the author's insight on what it's like to live as an underclass petty offender. There is much material here that would be echoed in Charles Murray's books on IQ, such as The Bell Curve and C
Blake
Jul 24, 2014 Blake rated it liked it
This book might have been intended as a no nonsense guide to avoiding accidental entry into the Criminal Justice panopticon and its attending financial burdens, but serves as an enlightening view into the inner workings of the Cop Mind.
Hannah
Dec 01, 2014 Hannah rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I have never encountered such a book where on one paragraph I'm like "YEAH SAY IT" and the next I'm like "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?" It's one thing to offer advice in a "know your rights" fashion, it's another to suggest that the victim is to blame in every single situation, that if they had only followed your advice, they would have never been targeted or arrested.

The author also has the disadvantage of me reading this in the time of Ferguson. Someone recently said to me in some unsolicited rant
Emily Goenner
Jul 15, 2012 Emily Goenner rated it really liked it
A four star rating because it's easy to read and has invaluable information not for any literary reason. Couldn't we have non-fiction informative rating and a literature rating so they don't get confused?
George
Dec 25, 2012 George rated it did not like it
Only thing I learned is that cops are dicks.
Flat
Dec 09, 2010 Flat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: justice
Lollie
Basically anywhere else in the world, it's obvious that when you are interacting with police officers - don't antagonise them... apparently in America, you need a whole book about it.
It started out interesting, but as soon as he started talking about "asskicking cops" just want to arrest everybody, it dropped my interest, hit the floor and kept digging.
Seriously steer clear of this bullshit.
Cyberpope
Aug 12, 2014 Cyberpope rated it it was amazing
A very goodread that highlights why you, even being law-abiding, may be at high risk of being arrested &, thus, having your future job & travel prospects negatively affected.

This ex-cop/ex=FBI goes through the basis for today's arrest-happy police and givers plenty of solid & practical advice on how to avoid it, for yuorself & for your kids.
Jonathan Deaux
May 25, 2013 Jonathan Deaux rated it it was amazing
If you haven't had ANY interaction with ANY form of law enforcement or the judicial system since around 1995...read this book.

If you have had prior interactions and were not arrested, not indicted, were indicted and found innocent of criminal charges, yet wish to have no further interactions with law enforcement or the judicial system, read this book.

If you have young children or nieces/nephews that have yet to have had any interactions with law enforcement or the judicial system and you wish t
Jon
Jul 23, 2011 Jon added it
Depressing but useful book co-written by an ex-cop turned defense attorney, which proves that we live in a police state where cops are a law unto themselves. For instance, if four young guys are riding in a car, chances are the cops are going to pull them over. Why? Because they can....Another trick the ex-cop mentions that he used to use is finding out what was the most stolen make of car in the jurisdiction where he worked, then pulling over everyone driving that model. If the driver stopped, ...more
Reemi
Mar 14, 2016 Reemi rated it it was amazing
Short summary: Shut up and shit yourself. Literally.
Jeff Ford
Aug 03, 2014 Jeff Ford rated it it was ok
Good book. You can tell it was written by a cop. I think the best strategy is to avoid the police at all cost. It is all about submission. Even if you do all the right things, the police can beat one person in a thousand. They prefer to save that for the folks who know their rights and refuse to submit. If you do have to deal with the police submit early when it is easy to do so and still save face.
Tom
Feb 22, 2009 Tom rated it liked it
An informative view into the the world of cops and criminals with strong-armed commentary on our society. This book fits in my true life government conspiracy / underground urban survival section of my library - right next to "How to Sh** in the Woods" and "The Bust Book." Entertaining, quick, and surprisingly intelligent but rigid.
Lostaccount Darkpool
Aug 04, 2015 Lostaccount Darkpool rated it really liked it
One of the scariest (and fascinating) books I've ever read. Scarier than any horror novel. Shocking, if true, and disturbing. If the author of this book is not exaggerating, then America has become a police state. After reading this, I'm glad I don't live there.

C.M. Mayo
Feb 28, 2011 C.M. Mayo rated it it was amazing
Witty, wise, and very disturbing. The authors's dedication says it all: "To the thousands of young men in jail for petty offenses. It's not right. It's not just. America can do better."
Jenni
Apr 15, 2009 Jenni rated it really liked it
This is a great book in the genre of "how to do ABC Strange Thing." Undoubtedly you know some of this stuff - but some of it you don't. Another bonus is its cheesyness.
Alexis
Dec 08, 2013 Alexis rated it liked it
Entertaining read and good resource even if you don't have a high "arrestability quotient."
Yosef
Oct 21, 2012 Yosef rated it it was amazing
Knowing your rights are so important in our society, learn them, memorize them, be free.
Jeff
Aug 02, 2012 Jeff rated it really liked it
Pretty humorous. Mostly common sense, but informative for clueless types.
Matthew
Mar 19, 2008 Matthew rated it liked it
Why is the "Live Free Or Die" section becoming my favorite in the bookstore?
Troy
Sep 09, 2012 Troy rated it it was amazing
Very eye opening this book tells you everything you need to know.
Nativeabuse
Aug 22, 2012 Nativeabuse rated it it was amazing
Great book, and a must read for everyone.
Jordan
Mar 14, 2012 Jordan rated it really liked it
Unfortunately, everyone needs to read this.
Amber
Dec 18, 2009 Amber rated it it was ok
A little bit useful.
  • In the Place of Justice: A Story of Punishment and Deliverance
  • The Most Dangerous Superstition
  • Mental Traps: The Overthinker's Guide to a Happier Life
  • Queer (In)Justice: The Criminalization of LGBT People in the United States
  • At the Center of the Storm: My Years at the CIA
  • Clark Howard's Living Large in Lean Times: 250+ Ways to Buy Smarter, Spend Smarter, and Save Money
  • Chemtrails, HAARP, and the Full Spectrum Dominance of Planet Earth
  • Against Equality: Prisons Will Not Protect You
  • How to Be Invisible: The Essential Guide to Protecting Your Personal Privacy, Your Assets, and Your Life
  • Death in a Promised Land: The Tulsa Race Riot of 1921
  • No Tech Hacking: A Guide to Social Engineering, Dumpster Diving, and Shoulder Surfing
  • Ultimate Guide to Wilderness Living: Surviving with Nothing But Your Bare Hands and What You Find in the Woods
  • A Point in Time: The Search for Redemption in This Life and the Next
  • 100 Years of Lynchings
  • Ordinary Injustice: How America Holds Court
  • The Nuclear Express: A Political History of the Bomb and Its Proliferation
  • How Evil Works: Understanding and Overcoming the Destructive Forces That Are Transforming America
  • Behind the Green Mask