Start by marking “The Woman Who Cut Off Her Leg at the Maidstone Club and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Woman Who Cut Off Her Leg at the Maidstone Club and Other Stories

The Woman Who Cut Off Her Leg at the Maidstone Club and Other Stories

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  138 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In her debut collection, Julia Slavin conjures a world that is both familiar and limitless, where amidst our ordinary lives the banal and the unimaginable brush up against one another with startling grace and ease. From a lovelorn woman who sprouts teeth all over her body, to a man who literally falls to pieces, The Woman Who Cut Off Her Leg at the Maidstone Club is an ins ...more
Published July 6th 2000 by Picador (first published July 6th 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman Who Cut Off Her Leg at the Maidstone Club and Other Stories

MJ Nicholls
I am here in my Glasgow lair, on this pleasant February night, snug in bed with a bag of marshmallows, a pint of apple and mango sparkling water, and the mellow sounds of Holly Golightly’s 1995 LP The Main Attraction in my earholes. I am in the mood to review Julia Slavin’s 1999 collection. You are sitting in your offices and apartments desperate to hear MJ pronounce on these twelve warm-hearted and surreal tales, perhaps several of you have been awaiting this review for years, checking the Slav ...more
Jacob
Jun 12, 2011 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
June 2011

Good news, Goodreaders! I finally feel like I belong!

See, I've been here a few years (joined in late '07, active in mid '08--is that Golden Age? Silver? Does anyone keep track of that?), and I've written my share of reviews. Some good, some bad, some clever--but none of them were literary. I'm not particularly worldly or well-read, so I'm pretty impressed (and somewhat intimidated) by those who are. To quote a cool person (Hi, Eh!), "I've noticed many folks who read and review literatur
CH Keyes
Apr 28, 2012 CH Keyes rated it really liked it
Fiction is about exceptions, what is not in the norm. Julia Slavin’s “The Woman Who Cut off her Leg at the Maidstone Club” is a fantastic work of short fiction that does a great job of stepping outside the norm. Slavin creates a duplicitous world where its characters live in a safe but materialistic atmosphere and where their insipidly cheerful surfaces conceal a secret life of digression and infidelities.
One device that jumps out at me is her use of odd names. The woman who is cutting her leg
Nicole
This book is full of dark absurdities, but they're approached cheerfully or as just another part of an average day in the lives of these characters, which lulled me into thinking of them as almost normal. Teeth growing out of skin? Sure, fine. Babyproofing that includes removing a parent from the household? I'm still with you. The author has a way of weaving these impossible elements in so matter-of-factly and with such authority that I have no desire to question them. And the surreal elements i ...more
Lavinia Petrache
Nov 24, 2015 Lavinia Petrache rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This book was recommended to me by someone who knew that I enjoy magic realism a lot. Unfortunately, I was unable to create a connection to the stories here, the author seemed like she is still searching for her style and is experimenting with a bunch of different ways of writing.

I'm still looking for that female author who will write in such a way that you can't tell if she's a woman or is a man. I'm not saying that one should not write about "womanly" issues, but babies and love are topics th
lavinia
Nov 26, 2013 lavinia rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction

Fishface
A intriguing series of odd little stories, all of them about grief and lost love. The woman who was having the affair with the oak tree outside her window -- now that was original. I would love to hear what Dr. Freud said about THAT. Seriously though, they are funny and sad, imaginative as anything and really left an impression on me.
Kevin Groosalugg
May 24, 2011 Kevin Groosalugg rated it liked it
Many of Julia Slavin's stories are like Shel Silverstein poems for adults, crazy over-the top tales of women eating people and having the eaten people live inside of them or people who grow teeth all over their bodies....and these are quirky, interesting and a little funny. But the best ones in this collection are the open ended glimpses into people's lives like "Rare is a cold red center' , which is probably my favorite. "Blighted" is a little crazy but very good also. This is an insanely quick ...more
Shel
Oct 31, 2010 Shel added it
Shelves: stories
These are a mix of realistic and imaginative stories. Often strange things —from a couple who refuse to clean up a pudding after dropping it in a fight for so long that it crystallizes to the floor to a woman who grows teeth all over her body —happen in realistic settings.

Many of the stories explore the relationships and emotional states of couples who are devoted to raising children. New parents may appreciate, "Babyproofing".
Hannah
Oct 08, 2008 Hannah added it
I read this because of a namecheck by Amy Hempel and was accordingly disappointed, for the first couple stories, that this book was obviously not written by Amy Hempel. Then I got over it. There are still some moments where it seems too easy somehow - not surprising enough - but I think I over-value surprise in art. I just like things better when they get done differently from how I'd do them.
Sara
Feb 23, 2016 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il risvolto di copertina parla di "realismo magico". In alcuni racconti questa strana (e per me inedita finora) magia l'ho trovata, e quei racconti li ho amati. Altri invece li ho trovati sottotono e, insomma, troppo reali. Mica brutti... ma proprio accanto a certi altri così perturbanti hanno sfigurato ai miei occhi. Segnalo i miei preferiti: Ingoiato, Odontofilia, Cade a pezzi.
Skye
Jan 15, 2008 Skye rated it it was amazing
A book full of truly weird stories. After hearing a description of one of the stories, my dad said to me, "I never thought I'd say this, but if you need something more mainstream to read I have a copy of William Gibson's latest." I love this book and recommend it highly to anyone with an appreciation of the odd.
Rachel
Feb 14, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
This book was my introduction to magical realism or fantastical fiction or experimental short stories or whatever you want to call it. I didn't know any of these terms when I read this collection, just knew I liked the book.
Sophie
Sep 25, 2010 Sophie rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Moving. Imaginative. Everything I want a short story collection to be.
Syreeta McFadden
Nov 18, 2007 Syreeta McFadden rated it liked it
fun stories - particularly dentiphilia, swallowed whole and rare is the red center
Almaslegacy
May 12, 2009 Almaslegacy rated it really liked it
Good funny "brain candy". A mix of hilarious and darker stories. Pretty good.
Rachel
Apr 25, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
What a weirdly awesome book.
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Sean Norris
Sean Norris marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
James
James is currently reading it
May 11, 2016
m. a. g.
m. a. g. rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Sean
Sean rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Sonika
Sonika rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
saralailie
saralailie marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
  • McSweeney's #16
  • Baby Geisha
  • Divorcer
  • Dead Boys: Stories
  • Yesterday I Was Talking to Myself...
  • The Really Funny Thing About Apathy
Julia Slavin's stories have won a Pushcart Prize and GQ's coveted Frederick Exley Fiction Competition. She worked for a decade as an ABC-TV producer in New York before moving to Washington, D.C., where she lives with her husband. She is currently at work on a novel.
More about Julia Slavin...