Start by marking “The Heart of the Witch” as Want to Read:
The Heart of the Witch

The Heart of the Witch

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  181 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In the small town of Green Hollow, New York, the Lockley Arms hotel stands as the meeting place for a coven of witches. When the hotel's owners perish in a mysterious car accident, the coven's leader searches for suitable replacements, for the coven membership must equal 13. The teenage twins who live across the street from the hotel volunteer to join the witches's circle. ...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of the Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of the Witch

Kelly
Mar 17, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it
(3.5 stars) Back in the late nineties, younger-me was obsessed with reading every novel about witches I could find. (Don’t get me wrong, I still like witch books, but there are just so many now!) The Heart of a Witch, published in 1999, would have appeared right smack in the middle of this obsession, and yet somehow I never discovered it back then, when I was first devouring Anne Rice’s The Witching Hour and Elizabeth Hand’s Waking the Moon. I found it, instead, at a wonderfully labyrinthine use ...more
Jadewik
Dec 10, 2007 Jadewik rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: occult, i-owned
I didn't like the ending... it wasn't terrible... but it wasn't the best the ending could be. All the foreshadowing made sense with this ending, but I still didn't like it. The characters were... ucky. The ending... ucky. The plot... interesting... but there were some things that, if removed, would have made the book better and left room for more exciting action. As it was... yucky!

I'm really not too fond of the author switching between 1st and 3rd person. First we "see" Shelley, then we "are" S
Alissa Bach
Sep 11, 2009 Alissa Bach rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: If you like dark, gothic stories about witches, vampires, and werewolves (Oh My!)
So this book got bad reviews by other Goodreads subscribers... I REALLY LIKED THIS BOOK!! The settings were very descriptive and the author did a wonderful job setting the increasingly dark mood of the plot. Also, the dual point of view telling only served to enhance a fantastic story. Not a light-hearted, fluffy read by any means...but it's not supposed to be.

Twins Kip and Shelley have been strangely fascinated with the old victorian bed and breakfast across the street for as long as they can
Heather *live on coffee and flowers*
Suitably witchy, but ultimately lacking. There was a bizarre switch between first and third person throughout the whole book. The plot, if you can call it that, was lost in all the descriptive writing. I never got to care about any of the characters because of the writing style, and the members of the coven were all faceless. I couldn't tell one from the other even by the end of the book, even by their names. (view spoiler) ...more
Kilgallen
Mar 25, 2012 Kilgallen rated it liked it
Shelves: witches, 2012-reads
Thank you Judith Hawkes for giving us a great story with firm roots in neo pagan/ modern Witchcraft. Although I enjoyed the novel I did find the main character, Shelly, to be rather unlikable and I would really have liked to have had more of a backstory for Snow. I was not thrilled with the ending of the story but overall it was a good read.
Kathryn Tucker
May 18, 2015 Kathryn Tucker rated it it was amazing
This is a truly fantastic book. (view spoiler) Hawkes writes the emotions of self-doubt, jealousy, and general adolescent lack of wisdom so perfectly. I hated Shelley, but at the same time... it's easy to see your own failings in her. She saw the world only through her own eyes, and her lack of self esteem (or rather lack of self identity that didn't also inv ...more
J.M. Stone
Dec 27, 2012 J.M. Stone rated it it was amazing
I have owned this book for years and have read it many times. It's been one of my favorites since the first time I read it. It's so taboo at times, and so innocent at others, but steeped in witchcraft, suspense, hope, lust, mercy, love, hate, jealousy, despair...I could go on. I'd love to read more by Judith Hawkes, but I've read everything that I've seen by her; she's never written anything else? I'm sad.
Melissa
Jan 22, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Rishi Diams
Only managed to read 27 pages. The narrative switches between first and third person so frequently that often left me confused.
Erica Conaron
Oct 16, 2011 Erica Conaron rated it it was ok
Ending ruined this book!
Ruthie
May 09, 2014 Ruthie rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing book. I lost my previous copy and recently re-bought it. I cannot wait to read it again. Edge of my seat and great story.
Adara
Sep 01, 2015 Adara added it
Shelves: reread-books
I found this to be a very compelling book - I wanted to keep reading to find out what happens next. Not a light read with all the exploration of dark and taboo subjects. The story draws on the mystery of the unknown and unexplored - I think it's that sense of mystery that really made this such an enjoyable book for me. I've read it at least 4 or 5 times since I first bought it back in high school. Definitely a keeper.
Chelsea Britt
Sep 23, 2010 Chelsea Britt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural, romance
Absolutely amazing book! I have read this book about 7 times, and intend on reading it again and again! The description Judith Hawkes uses to describe every event in this book is perfect. There's nothing better than reading a book, and being able to imagine everything that is going on. All of the characters are fantastic and have a great storyline attached to them! Simply amazing!
Andrew
Nov 11, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Andrew by: No one
I've read this book a few times now and it is one of those reads that I wish I could forget the story so I can experience that joy of reading it for the first time again. It's not a horror story, yet not really fantasy, maybe a paranormal thriller? I especially like the perspective of the protagonists being twins, it's rarely done, well at that, and is a pleasure in this book.
Tina
May 18, 2012 Tina rated it liked it
The characters and area is eerily similar in location and depiction to where I grew up. I did live in a small town not far from Albany. That alone grabbed my interest. However the path of self discovery that the twins go down is a twist of reality & supernatural events that they put themselves in. The ending is not what is expected,but it is a good read.
Nick
Jun 25, 2012 Nick rated it really liked it
Shelves: gothic
A really good gothic, full of character development -- Hawkes makes the supernatural appear natural, and frightening too. The spooky old house, the not-overly-explained nature of "witches," in other words, the unkonown resonates with unknowability, add up to a nice read.
Chloe
Jul 14, 2010 Chloe marked it as to-read
I began this book in high school, and then lost my copy before I finished it. I also forgot the title, which I just now finally figured out with the help of a library subject search (occult -- fiction). Now I finally have the chance to find out if it is any good.
Kim
Aug 14, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book from beginning to end. The characters are brilliant, and the plot was beyond genius. If you are intrigued by witches, as the innocent, young adults in this book obviously were, then this is a must read.
Beth
Jun 15, 2008 Beth rated it liked it
LAUGH AWAY! I recently found this book with a bunch of my old stuff, and read it again, expecting to laugh at my pubescent witchcraft fixation. But guess what! It was just as good as I remembered, OKAY?
Lisa H.
Mar 07, 2012 Lisa H. rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Ehn. Apparently Hawkes did pretty substantial research on neopaganism for this, because the underlying material is solid, but the story was bland, and the resolution was utterly ridiculous.
Sandra
Sep 13, 2011 Sandra rated it liked it
A very good 'witch' book. I do recall a general morose feeling while reading it and I wouldn't say the characters were particularly likeable, but other than that, I did enjoy it.
Jaime
Apr 15, 2012 Jaime rated it really liked it
I could not put this book down. The story is very compelling and beautifully written. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys fiction about the supernatural world.
Erleen Alvarez
A very profound and intriguing tale about the Davies twins, Kip and Shelley and the Green Hollow coven. I can't get enough of reading it, a page-turner indeed.
Amiee Wilson
Oct 02, 2010 Amiee Wilson is currently reading it
This book is hard to get into. I got bored very quickly and I doubt I will continue to read it.
Entrelac
Nov 07, 2012 Entrelac rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Not a bad book, but I wasn't overly fond of the sudden switches between first and third person.
Kara
Jul 21, 2012 Kara rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites! I have had to replace because I have read it so many times.
Kimberly
Sep 12, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting read. Think...Rosemary's Baby.
Michelle
Oct 25, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
one of my all time favorite books.
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Nia
Nia marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Blood Moon (A Rowan Gant Investigation #9)
  • The Night Serpent
  • Fall  (Witch Season, #2)
  • Trouble in the Tarot (A Fortune Teller Mystery #3)
  • Wizard at Large (The Dresden Files, #6-7)
  • Dead Suite (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #4)
  • My Favorite Witch
  • By Magic Alone (Magic, #4)
  • The Watcher in the Woods
  • Lemon Pies and Little White Lies (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #4)
  • The Small Print
  • A Perilous Power (A School for Sorcery, #2)
  • The Zombie Whisperer (Living with the Dead, #4)
  • The Best of John Bellairs: The House with a Clock in Its Walls; The Figure in the Shadows; The Letter, the Witch, and the Ring
  • Allegra Fairweather (Allegra Fairweather Mystery #1)
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 8
  • The Sweetest Summer (Bayberry Island, #2)
  • A Fright to the Death (A Family Fortune Mystery #3)