Memoirs Are Made of This

Memoirs Are Made of This

2.88 of 5 stars 2.88  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  9 reviews
How to Get Ahead in Journalism, by Venus Gilroy:

1. Take a job as PA to a glamorous writer, like Susanna Hyde, author of the wildly popular sex column "Nothing to Hyde."
2. Spend your days walking Susanna's dogs, running errands, and delivering "you've been dumped" notes to lovers who are yesterday's news. Realize life in Manhattan is not as glamorous as you expected.
3. But...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Headline Book Publishing (first published June 14th 2007)

Jennifer Ngo
I picked up this book with some spare time on my hands, hoping for a trashy novel that I could love and get caught up in.

To its credit, Memoirs are Made of This was easy to devour. Despite the often cringe-worthy names (Venus and Tremaynne?), it is fun to read, the characters are believable, and Venus was indeed likeable enough for me to continue reading to the very end.

However, the story arcs are obvious and predictable. The character development is paraded and shoved in your face, but the mind...more
Jayne
Jul 27, 2011 Jayne added it
Not what I would consider your typical "black dress" novel, which is probably why I have enjoyed it more than the others I have read.

Although the main character is a little old for this to be a coming of age story, it still has many elements which would make it one.And in a way, for this age group, I guess it is a coming of age strory. Good for a bit of light reading.
Josette
My first Little Black Dress book and I was not disappointed after finishing it. Didn't really dislike but didn't really like it either. Still, it's quite a refreshing kind of story.

Here's my review:
Resident Optimist
I wasn't highly impressed by this, was bored at times, and felt it was dragging in some places, but I thought it was quite cute that the relationship could continue after so much, it had a "confessions of a shopaholic" feel to it and was slightly too businessy for my liking
Tuesday's Child
I did get the point at the end.Good storyline, even if it is chicklit.
Liz Young
Great fun read. Not fluffy at all, and definitely not MnB-ish. Loved it!
Sati
Dec 10, 2009 Sati rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: loved
Upbeat mood, fast paced, interesting & funny insights
Melissainau
All over the place. And not in a good way.
Suzanne
Forgotten what this book is even about. Oh well..
Naomie
Naomie marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Vaishanavi Selvamany
Vaishanavi Selvamany marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Zoé Shi
Zoé Shi marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Annabelle Marriott
Annabelle Marriott marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Taylor
Taylor is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2013
Aisyah Roslan
Aisyah Roslan marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
lovetoread
lovetoread marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
My Three Husbands Confessions of a Pregnant Princess Vénus À Rome Confessions Of A Pregnant Princess