Start by marking “My Beloved Son” as Want to Read:
My Beloved Son

My Beloved Son

Ellen Jebeau married a man who did little but dream, and who then died with debt his only legacy. Whatever else her marriage had lacked, however, she had her son Joseph. She resolved he should have all in life she had missed and to achieve that end, she would stop at nothing.

It was Sir Arthur Jebeau, her late husband's brother, who came to her aid, and soon Ellen and Josep
Published March 5th 1992 by Corgi (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about My Beloved Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Beloved Son

Mary
Feb 27, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes historical fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Joseph Jabeau was fatherless by the age of five; he grew up to defend himself and his country against the evilness and madness of Hitler by fighting in World War II. He returned home to face his selfish, overbearing mother and to battle against her ruthlessness and the many hidden secrets of the past.

I really did enjoy this book even though I have found that some of Catherine Cookson's books that I've read in the past do become somewhat repetitive in their themes. I would say that as I began rea
Marjorie
I whipped through it within 3 days. I even got out a map. The time period was interesting; WWII in Great Britain. Sometimes this story seemed rich and then at other times had the depth of a romance novel. The happily ever after ending was both a relief and disappointment. Suddenly, Joe comprehends the light of day? His mother seemed more a story plot vehicle than a fully developed person. If you like soap operas then this will do.
Bev Taylor
May 09, 2015 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it
ellen is now a widow but has her son joeseph who she smothers and will do anything for

she moves in with her brother-in-law, a widower with 2 sons and an estate to go with his title. h/e he then announces his forthcoming marriage

so the future starts to unwind. how far will ellen go? how will it affect joesepth and what will he do?

great characters u feel u r living with

perhaps someone could answer this. i did not think it was illegal to marry your brother-in-law

bev
Lili
May 18, 2012 Lili rated it liked it
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Jill Lopez
Aug 06, 2013 Jill Lopez rated it really liked it
The english dialect used took some time to get used to but it was a lovely story that made you really feel what the characters went through. It was full of joy and tragedies and was addicting every second. I am amazed by this author. Her personal story is a triumphant in and of itself.
Priscilla
Finished reading for PEI bookgroup. Very British. Author is prolific and they've read many of hers, but this one is a first for me. Too many stereotypes and English syntax/jargon I was unfamiliar with was off-putting. Also the ending felt forced. Her readers say this wasnt one of her best.
Callie
Sep 18, 2009 Callie rated it really liked it
Although this book was quite slow and there weren't any particularly exciting scenes in it, I found this book very intriguing. The characters were very well developed and the story line contained several interesting turns.
Meatsrus
Apr 15, 2013 Meatsrus rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the combination of this book reflecting a love story, a mystery, dealing with insanity, but yet showing the great lengths a mother will go to to give her son anything/everything. The flow of the story made you feel as if you were right there and could relate to the mid 1920s.
Jan
Enjoyed it
Judith Orlopp
A very enjoyable read that takes you through a son's fight to avoid the suffocating love of his mother. Set at the eve of World War II.
Vickie
Apr 03, 2011 Vickie rated it liked it
I enjoyed this power struggle book between a mother and her son. It was a good book. Then I watched the BBC movie verson.
Sanne
Feb 18, 2016 Sanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a bit too long written, too much details or repetition. But the overall story was ok.
Katie Q
Nov 14, 2012 Katie Q rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Loved this story. I was surprised how the weight of the protagonist was so prominent throughout the story. Never seen that before.
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2012
Denise K. Gendrow
Denise K. Gendrow rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
anne dawson
anne dawson rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2017
Penny Kettlewell
Penny Kettlewell rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Simone
Simone rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2011
Kazm64
Kazm64 rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2011
Gabrielle Dawes
Gabrielle Dawes rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Mary Jo
Mary Jo rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Bonny Howe
Bonny Howe rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2014
Virginia
Virginia rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2011
Викторија
Викторија rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2013
Celine
Celine rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2013
Feloidae *The Bookworm*
Feloidae *The Bookworm* rated it did not like it
May 26, 2013
Billie
Billie rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Christine Reeves
Christine Reeves rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2017
Kathleen CLAPCOTT
Kathleen CLAPCOTT rated it really liked it
May 13, 2017
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Unholy Fire
  • The Saints and Sinners of Okay County: A Novel
  • The Lonely Furrow (Suffolk, #3)
  • The Road Taken
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
  • The Magdalena Curse
  • Come Walk with Me
  • The Ice House
  • Still Talking
  • A Very Private Woman: The Life and Unsolved Murder of Presidential Mistress Mary Meyer
  • The Water Giver: The Story of a Mother, a Son, and Their Second Chance
  • Dark Debts
  • The Art of Seeing
  • Lost Souls
  • Just Desserts: The Unauthorized Biography of Martha Stewart
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • Crescent City
  • Loose Change: Three Women of the Sixties
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, who Catherine believed was her older sister. Catherine began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master.

Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby
More about Catherine Cookson...