Silver Surfer: Parable

Silver Surfer: Parable (Heróis Marvel Série II #4)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  335 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Silver Surfer: Parable collects a two-issue miniseries written by Stan Lee and illustrated by Moebius, orginally published by Marvel's Epic Comics imprint in 1988 and 1989. This miniseries won the Eisner Award for "Best Finite/Limited Series" in 1989.
Published December 28th 1988 by Marvel Comics (first published December 1988)

Zack Zildjan
I have seen (on here and elsewhere...but mostly on here) people say that Silver Surfer: Parable is the "worst" thing that Stan Lee has written.

...
.......c'mon now.

It begs the question of whether or not they have ever actually read ANYTHING else that was penned by Stan Lee? I have no problem complimenting Stan Lee as a great "idea man". In coming up with ideas for characters, in his day, he was (arguably) unrivaled. Of course, let's not forget that he had even more imaginative, creative men worki...more
Artur Coelho
Um clássico dos comics, graças à colaboração extemporânea entre dois grandes representantes de duas vertentes maiores da banda desenhada. Uma colisão entre o argumento e formato comic de Stan Lee e o lirismo da bande dessiné de Moebius. O resultado é um híbrido atípico, comic mainstream com sabor intimista. Stan Lee leva ao exagero a veia moralista que caracterizou o clássico Silver Surfer com Jack Kirby. Este personagem sempre teve uma vertente de cordeiro sacrificial, de meta-herói disposto a...more
Andrew Anony
Jun 06, 2014 Andrew Anony rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Andrew by: andrew.edwards91@gmail.com
Shelves: comix
A really shallow commentary on religion and spirituality. The notes in the back of the book by Moebius hint at the possibility that he didn't want to do this. Lee says they met each other for coffee and Moebius said he liked Lee's work, especially Silver Surfer. Moebius states that he received a detailed plot - not a script (the Marvel way) - from Lee and struggled to begin the book. Moebius seems to have a high opinion of the work; perhaps because critics praised it in comparison to the other A...more
Karl
Between Moebius' art and Stan Lees writing, this is one of my favorite Silver Surfer books.
David
This book contains two Silver Surfer stories.

Parable is the first. And it's the worst thing Stan Lee ever wrote. Ever. Imagine some really stoned youth writing, for the very first time, something "wise" and "profound". Yup, it's that bad. And ham-fisted. Mobius is often an interesting artist, but the story is so god awful, nothing helps. ZERO STARS.

The second story is The Enslavers and it's pretty good as a stand alone. It doesn't work in the context of the Marvel Universe. Why? Because it's a...more
Raúl
Maravilloso. El guión de Stan Lee es perfecto, con algunas frases para enmarcar y con una introspección en el personaje de Silver Surfer y en el de Galactus impresionante.
El dibujo de Moebius acompaña perfectamente a la historia, con un nivel de detalle y una delicadeza extrema, y un coloreado muy llamativo que le permite transmitir cada expresión de la historia y los personajes.
Obra maestra.
Trey Piepmeier
Really pretty artwork, insanely bad writing. The entire thing was like it was written in stilted bible verse. This book would be 3X better if you just removed the word bubbles.
James Schneider
Art: 10000000 stars, writing two stars. Beautiful to lookat.
Gavin
Finally, an actual Stan Lee penned book! Silver Surfer 2 part series, is a very philosophical book, which makes sense when you know it's about a cosmic being, the former Norinn Radd, Silver Surfer and his former boss Galactus, the devourer of planets.
This is more a book however, about faith, belief, power, truth, greatness, and other things.
Galactus comes to Earth in the near future, where the Surfer lives in retirement in disguise, but he is not there to destroy Earth, as he had vowed to the S...more
Asher Turnaround
3.5/5

With the way the Jack Kirby and Stan Lee debate has raged on over the years on who is really responsible for creating the bulk of the Marvel Universe, it’s hard not to feel like an apologist for liking something Stan has written. I think we have all been polarized since the court ruling against the estate of the King not long ago. So I wanted to try and get a picture of Stan outside of current events. To read his work without seeing Jack’s lines to allow me to square up to where I would dra...more
Comicspectrum
Rating: 3.5/5 – Stan Lee/Moebius (refreshing) far exceeds Stan Lee/Pollard (forgettable).
Collects Silver Surfer (1988) #1-2 and Silver Surfer: The Enslavers HC

Garrett
Two separate Stan Lee scripted stories, "Parable," (which is drawn by Moebius and while a little heavy-handed and plodding is inherently wise and beautiful) and "The Enslavers" drawn by Keith Pollard and featuring a tiresome villain, ridiculous plot holes and the return of Shalla Bal.

The first story came out at a 2-issue limited back in the day; I'd consider just getting that and reading it, skipping "The Enslavers" entirely.
Russell Olson
Really, I should have given this edition 3.5 stars. This edition of parable is lumped together with the Lee/Pollard Enslavers story, which is a bit flat and fairly tedious. But the Lee/Moebius story is so good that it bumps it up to 5 stars. Moebius is on top form and his process statments at the back of the book, although brief, are very insightful. Great GN.
Davide Genco
Pensi ad un americano e ad un europeo, e immagini che il primo ci metta l'impatto e il secondo la riflessività. Qui accade il contrario: il Grande Vecchio Stan Lee filosofeggia, mentre le tavole del Maestro Jean Giraud in arte Moebius scandiscono visivamente un racconto che bene evidenzia il rapporto fra la solitudine del singolo e l'irrazionale intelligenza delle masse, fra morale stoica e rumorosa demagogia.
Seth
I love Moebius' art but am ambivalent about Stan Lee. In this case I thought the art was good, but not his best, largely due to the simplistic writing and what I realized after reading the afterword, was Stan Lee's influence on the art. Aparently the guy drew storyboards for Moebius, whom in my opinion is better left to his own devices. Moebius claims that he tried to simplify some of the art to fit the story which, while making sense holistically, removed some of my favorite Moebius elements, m...more
Myke
The art from Moebius is what makes this.
Stephen
One of the very few Moebius art projects for Marvel. I think I had a poster of Iron Man he did as well, maybe a cover or a pin up somewhere, but that's about it as far as I know.

Quite a shame. Can you even imagine a Thanos story or some of the more cosmic characters like The Watcher being drawn by this master?

Oh well, what we have is good and it is appreciated.

Luiz Fernando
The good story by Stan Lee, and the Superb (!!!) artwork by Jean "Moebius" Giraud makes this small book a must for comic books fans.
Federiken Masters
May 31, 2014 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Varios
Recommended to Federiken by: Autores
Muy buen guion, pese a tener varios de los clichés de Lee y muy buen dibujo, pese a que el recoloreado me da la sensación de que lo desinfla un poco. La edición en sí me parece muy buena, pero cuando el que hizo la intro dice que "Estela Plateada" es una buena traducción de Silver Surfer, me dieron ganas de pegarle.
Travis
A decent story is raised up to amazing by Mobeius' art. He has the ability to make the most futuristic settings look real that you believe in the story, no matter how big and cosmic it gets, or the fact that it doesn't seem to fit into marvel continuity anywhere.

Would make a cool Silver Surfer movie.

Devero
Stan Lee e Moebius, insieme, per narrare una versione diversa dell'arrivo di Galactus, guidato dal suo araldo, Silver Surfer, sulla nostra Terra. Nostra, non Marvel.
Una storia ambiziosa che vuole essere profonda, ma non riesce appieno. Una storia che comunque merita di essere letta.
Neven
I read this way back in the day, and I remember liking it then. But it doesn't really hold up, and I swear the Croatian translation I read was way less stilted and awkward. Some parts are still very good—every panel that includes Galactus, the ink—but the hamfisting is just too hamfisty.
Jeremy
I could look at Moebius's Galactus all day, but the second half of this book, "The Enslavers" by Stan Lee and Keith Pollard, is pretty run of the mill. Stan's writing in "Parable" is theatrical and IMPORTANT, but the rest is just blah.
Chris Andersen
Great art, great story. I especially liked Moebius's rendition of Galactus; made him seem super-otherworldy and badass. The end notes from Moebius on his creative process were also really interesting.
Alexander Case
This is as much a Moebius work as it is a Stan Lee work, and it is fantastic. Anyone who wants to call themselves a fan of Moebius needs to read this. Period.
Oliver Hodson
Not bad from stan lee. The artwork is really nice and worth spending an hour or two with. An interesting twist on the galactus/silver surfer dynamic
Michael
Interesting philosophical dialogue
Galactus: "I have never seen a god, why should I believe I'm not divine"
Jeff
It was okay. Two stories. Moebius was an okay story. Second was cheesy and predictable
Streator Johnson
Stan Lee sure has a negative view of a majority of the human race.....
Steve
  • The Thanos Imperative
  • The Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos
  • Daredevil: Love and War
  • New Mutants Classic, Vol. 1
  • Moebius 1: Upon a Star (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #1)
  • Avengers Legends, Vol. 1: Avengers Forever
  • The Marvels Project
  • Wolverine: Weapon X (Marvel Premiere Classic)
  • Corto Maltese: La ballade de la mer salée
  • Thor: Ages of Thunder
  • Daredevil, Volume 1
  • Annihilation, Book Two
  • Tom Strong, Book 3
  • The Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 1
  • JSA, Vol. 4: Fair Play
Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber) is an American writer, editor, creator of comic book superheroes, and the former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

With several artist co-creators, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, Captain America, and many other characters, int...more
More about Stan Lee...
How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1 Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1 Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 1 Essential Classic X-Men, Vol. 1