Start by marking “The One and Only Shrek!” as Want to Read:
The One and Only Shrek!

The One and Only Shrek!

Before Shrek made it big on the silver screen, there was William Steig’s SHREK!, a book about an ordinary ogre who leaves his swampy childhood home to go out and see the world. Ordinarily, that is, if a foul and hideous being who ends up marrying the most stunningly ugly princess on the surface of the planet is what you consider ordinary. SHREK! can be found in this colle
Published April 3rd 2007 by Square Fish

To ask other readers questions about The One and Only Shrek!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One and Only Shrek!

Joy
Jun 20, 2015 Joy rated it liked it
1983 Newbery Honor Book (for Doctor De Soto)

This is a collection of some of Steig's most popular books.

Shrek!
This is the picture book that the movie was loosely based upon. Some of the characters are there like the donkey and the dragon and, of course, an ugly princess, but the movie definitely expanded upon the book in completely different ways.

The Amazing Bone
Pearl the pig finds a bone that talks and they go on an adventure together.

Brave Irene
Irene goes out into a snowstorm to deliver a dres
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

Most people, if not everyone, knows the story of Shrek, thanks to the animated version that was widely successful. But the majority of people probably don't know that Shrek originated with William Steig. And what better way to learn the original story of Shrek than by listening to it on this unabridged recording.

THE ONE AND ONLY SHREK! is actually a compilation of six stories, the first and most famous being the one of Shrek. But have no fear; the ot
Natalie
Feb 02, 2009 Natalie rated it liked it
It's amazing the animators at Dream Works got a Blockbusting trilogy out of this short story which was written in 1990. I was glad to listen to more of Steig's work as well. Dr. DeSoto was written the year I was born (1982) and was about two little rodents (a dentist and his wife assistant) that outsmart a fox that tries to eat them after he fixes his rotten tooth. Brave Irene (1978?) was cute too- the Duchess must get her dress in time for the ball- but on her snowy trip to the castle the seams ...more
Stan
Dec 24, 2013 Stan rated it really liked it
I loved every story in this book except The Amazing Bone; given the world we live in, it was too creepy. It may have been a fun book in its day, but nowadays not so. When I saw Pearl locked in the room at fox's house too many creepy thoughts came to mind. Maybe I read the newspaper too often. I wouldn't read this to a child in the four to eight-year-old group.

All the other stories were great, some fanciful, some touching, all good. I particularly liked The one and only Shrek!, and Doctor De Soto
Julie
Sep 12, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
We listened to this on a road trip. There are more stories, but the Shrek one is definitely the best! And what could be better than Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci as your narrators?!? I love you Meryl, but Stanley totally wins! :)
Alise
Apr 12, 2014 Alise rated it it was ok
Shelves: chase
I didn't like any of these stories. I read them all to my son but it was a chore. I thought they were all boring and just unimaginative. The pictures are why I gave it an extra star, they were better than the text.
Milo
Nov 16, 2014 Milo rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Milo by: Found at the library
This was such a favorite that I went back to it and back to it. I would often wonder why the princess' parents did not like Shrek. But, there were many funny parts that made my 4/5 year old sensibility laugh and laugh.
Virna
Dec 17, 2015 Virna rated it liked it
This nice book to read.
Emese
Jan 06, 2009 Emese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci read five stories by Steig.

The narrator make the otherwise slow and not too thrilling stories stand out.

Shrek stands out in terms of writing.
Sandberg
Jul 08, 2011 Sandberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listened to on our trip to Ben and Lori's in Kansas City!
Charlie Beck
Apr 10, 2013 Charlie Beck rated it liked it
Several short stories by William Steig including Shrek (much different than the movie), Dr. DeSoto and others.
Liza
Oct 01, 2013 Liza rated it it was ok
My kids didn't get into this story.
Clay
Feb 11, 2008 Clay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci read the fabulous William Steig's SHREK!, Brave Irene, Dr. DeSoto, The Amazing Bone, Spinky Sulks, and Caleb and Kate. An hour of pure joy.
Stephen Kennedy
Aug 23, 2008 Stephen Kennedy rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, humour, fiction
I enjoyed it. 6 little short stories and hard to believe that the Shrek movie came from the first one. A nice little diversion.
Anja Manning
Oct 15, 2012 Anja Manning rated it liked it
This collection contains the following stories:

Shrek!

(See individual descriptions.)
Lynnea Taylor
Feb 11, 2008 Lynnea Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, fantasy
I loved the first story in here about Shrek. The others were excellent but not near as fun as Shrek. Overall a wonderful book for reading to the kids.
Slow Man
Jun 27, 2015 Slow Man rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I don't know how to react to 'The Amazing Bone' and 'Spinky Sulks' but I like the other four stories.
Ms. Heather
Ms. Heather rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2010
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2008
Brock
Brock rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2010
Matt Stafford
Matt Stafford rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2012
irene
irene rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2008
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
May 01, 2013
Wendy E.
Wendy E. rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Yinzadi
Yinzadi rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2017
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2017
Boyko Ovcharov
Boyko Ovcharov rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
Todd
Todd rated it did not like it
Mar 27, 2010
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Man Whose Mother Was a Pirate
  • Badjelly The Witch: A Fairy Story
  • Little Rabbit's Loose Tooth
  • Fantasy Gone Wrong
  • Sea Monsters and Other Delicacies (An Awfully Beastly Business, #2)
  • Ten Big Toes and a Prince's Nose
  • The Amelia Jane Collection
  • The Stone Giant (Balumnia, #3)
  • The Serpent Came to Gloucester
  • Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy
  • Tom Thumb
  • Goosebumps Original Series (Full Collection, #1-62)
  • The Dragoneers (The Chronicles of Susah, #1)
  • Fairly Fairy Tales
  • Out of the Hitler Time
  • Mary Engelbreit's A Merry Little Christmas: Celebrate from A to Z
  • Limelight Larry
  • Mad Amos
William Steig was born in New York City in 1907. In a family where every member was involved in the arts, it was not surprising that Steig became an artist.

He published his first children's book, Roland the Minstrel Pig, in 1968, embarking on a new and very different career.

Steig's books reflect his conviction that children want the security of a devoted family and friends. When Sylvester, Farmer
More about William Steig...