Start by marking “The One and Only Shrek!” as Want to Read:
The One and Only Shrek!

The One and Only Shrek!

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Before Shrek made it big on the silver screen, there was William Steig’s SHREK!, a book about an ordinary ogre who leaves his swampy childhood home to go out and see the world. Ordinarily, that is, if a foul and hideous being who ends up marrying the most stunningly ugly princess on the surface of the planet is what you consider ordinary. SHREK! can be found in this colle
Published April 3rd 2007 by Square Fish

To ask other readers questions about The One and Only Shrek!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One and Only Shrek!

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

Most people, if not everyone, knows the story of Shrek, thanks to the animated version that was widely successful. But the majority of people probably don't know that Shrek originated with William Steig. And what better way to learn the original story of Shrek than by listening to it on this unabridged recording.

THE ONE AND ONLY SHREK! is actually a compilation of six stories, the first and most famous being the one of Shrek. But have no fear; the ot
Milo
Nov 16, 2014 Milo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Milo by: Found at the library
This was such a favorite that I went back to it and back to it. I would often wonder why the princess' parents did not like Shrek. But, there were many funny parts that made my 4/5 year old sensibility laugh and laugh.
Alise
Apr 12, 2014 Alise rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: chase
I didn't like any of these stories. I read them all to my son but it was a chore. I thought they were all boring and just unimaginative. The pictures are why I gave it an extra star, they were better than the text.
Natalie
It's amazing the animators at Dream Works got a Blockbusting trilogy out of this short story which was written in 1990. I was glad to listen to more of Steig's work as well. Dr. DeSoto was written the year I was born (1982) and was about two little rodents (a dentist and his wife assistant) that outsmart a fox that tries to eat them after he fixes his rotten tooth. Brave Irene (1978?) was cute too- the Duchess must get her dress in time for the ball- but on her snowy trip to the castle the seams ...more
Stan
I loved every story in this book except The Amazing Bone; given the world we live in, it was too creepy. It may have been a fun book in its day, but nowadays not so. When I saw Pearl locked in the room at fox's house too many creepy thoughts came to mind. Maybe I read the newspaper too often. I wouldn't read this to a child in the four to eight-year-old group.

All the other stories were great, some fanciful, some touching, all good. I particularly liked The one and only Shrek!, and Doctor De Soto
Clay
Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci read the fabulous William Steig's SHREK!, Brave Irene, Dr. DeSoto, The Amazing Bone, Spinky Sulks, and Caleb and Kate. An hour of pure joy.
Emese
Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci read five stories by Steig.

The narrator make the otherwise slow and not too thrilling stories stand out.

Shrek stands out in terms of writing.
Anja Manning
This collection contains the following stories:

Shrek!
The Amazing Bone
Brave Irene
Spinky Sulks
Doctor DeSoto
Caleb & Kate

(See individual descriptions.)
Lynnea Taylor
I loved the first story in here about Shrek. The others were excellent but not near as fun as Shrek. Overall a wonderful book for reading to the kids.
Stephen Kennedy
I enjoyed it. 6 little short stories and hard to believe that the Shrek movie came from the first one. A nice little diversion.
Charlie Beck
Several short stories by William Steig including Shrek (much different than the movie), Dr. DeSoto and others.
Sandberg
Listened to on our trip to Ben and Lori's in Kansas City!
Liza
My kids didn't get into this story.
Jania Marie Lejman
Jania Marie Lejman marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Oct 14, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Oct 08, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Joshua Bertram
Joshua Bertram marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Diana Phillips
Diana Phillips marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
S. W.
S. W. added it
Jun 29, 2014
Chati
Chati added it
Jun 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
William Steig was born in New York City in 1907. In a family where every member was involved in the arts, it was not surprising that Steig became an artist.

He published his first children's book, Roland the Minstrel Pig, in 1968, embarking on a new and very different career.

Steig's books reflect his conviction that children want the security of a devoted family and friends. When Sylvester, Farmer
More about William Steig...
Sylvester and the Magic Pebble Doctor De Soto Shrek! The Amazing Bone Brave Irene (Sunburst Books)