Start by marking “Tread Softly on My Dreams (Liberty Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tread Softly on My Dreams (Liberty Trilogy, #1)

Tread Softly on My Dreams (The Liberty Trilogy #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Centres around the short but eventful life of Robert Emmet. This novel is also the story of Anne Devlin and Michael Dwyer, and John Curran and his daughter Sarah, who was romantically attached to Emmet.
Published January 1st 2001 by Wolfhound Press (IE) (first published October 11th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Tread Softly on My Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tread Softly on My Dreams

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsInescapable by Amy A. BartolDivergent by Veronica RothCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareIntuition by Amy A. Bartol
The Best Books That Everyone Should Read
257th out of 631 books — 379 voters
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottHarry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. RowlingKeep Smiling Through by Lilian HarryThe Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
Books I'll never forget.
25th out of 58 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Levina  C.
Aug 23, 2012 Levina C. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical fiction lovers; anyone who has Irish ancestry or citizenship
Recommended to Levina by: Amazon.com's Kindle Store
Gods, I hate books like this.

Books like this one that draw me in so deeply, get me so emotionally involved with its characters, only to crush every one of their hopes and dreams into dust. What's worse is that this is strongly rooted in actual historical fact, so I couldn't just tell myself, Oh, there's need to get so upset, this isn't real anyway, because it was real. Looking it up further on Wikipedia, I found that despite the best efforts of the Irish nationalist rebels in this book and of t
Caitlin
Sep 14, 2008 Caitlin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Irish and British especially.
Recommended to Caitlin by: My nan
I don't usually write reviews for books, but or this one, how could I not?

This book is so moving, I found myself so frustrated for Anne Devlin, so appalled at the treatment of her in Kilmainham, so sickened by the British. But it has opened my eyes to people like Lord Kilmeaden, a Brit who was fair, and Lord Wickham. It has made me more interested in the lives of Tone and Lord Fitzgerald and, of course, Emmet.

It's an absaloutely amazing read to everyone. Irish, English, American, French.... An
Rob Godfrey
(Kindle Edition)
An intriguing story set against the backdrop of the English occupation of Ireland that I knew very little about (other than the occupation was very bad for most of the locals).
A lot of the characters are believable although at times the central ones are almost too good/intelligent/clever to be true.
Well written throughout, I enjoyed this and looked forward to reading the follow on in the trilogy (which I did in quick succession).
Dava Stewart
I didn't expect to like this book, but really did. Historical fiction is a favorite genre, and well researched historical fiction that has more history than fiction Is especially good stuff. The phrase "brings history to life" crossed my mind more than once in thinking about this one.

It is set in Ireland, and as my knowledge of Irish history is sketchy at best, I felt like I was learning while being entertained. There is action, romance, and characters with depth - although the "bad guys" are th
Joyce
“Tread Softly on My Dreams” depicts a turbulent time in Ireland's history; the horrors of living conditions under British rule and the struggles of trying to obtain freedom as a independent nation. Truly a story of courage and love.

Reading Gretta Curran Browne’s historical fiction was a learning experience for me; knowing next to nothing about this era in Irish history. Her portrayal of Robert Emmet and Anne Devlin is incredibly well developed; their convictions and loyalties were beyond admirat
Peggy
I saw this in the Free Kindle books and picked it up immediately. I thought it was a bit slow starting but I couldn't delete it. Finally I was through with quickie reads and settled down with with this wonderful read. It broke my heart! I love historical fiction-but this is even better....
I strongly recommend this book.
kathleen
Breaks my heart to say this but I could not finish this novel. Book just went on and on. I lost interest. Can't believe this but true even after all the good reviews.
Dee Byrne
Excellent book and got my girls to read it. They loved it. A highly recommended book to read.
Linda
Mrs. Emmet had eighteen children in nineteen years. That was a grabber of an opening. Robert Emmet was the eighteenth child. He was the leader of the Irish revolution occurring in the early part of the nineteenth century. He was an intelligent man of highest character, a true leader. He was twenty-five when he was executed. Anne Devlin was a coconspirator who walked the entire journey with Robert never once betraying him. For that, she was a rare person and friend. Robert's betrothed, Sarah, was ...more
Jean Marie
It was a long haul of a book, 625 pages in this paperback. I was determined to finish it as it is the biography of Robert Emmet, an Irish patriot whose statue stands in my hometown. I wanted to know what his life and death told about the history of Ireland's centuries of struggles for from from England. I very much enjoyed it, especially nearing the end when everything became clear.
Sandy
Robert Emmet loved his country, Ireland but knew it had to be taken back from the English. His brother Thomas was involved in the uprising of 1789 but it failed. Now Robert is kicked out of Trinity College for being a patriot of his country; it becomes the beginning of the next attempt to free Ireland in five years. This is a three book series.
Sheryl
This is a historical fiction book that takes place in Ireland in the late 1700's and early 1800's. I really enjoyed it even though it's kind of like reading a book about Lincoln. You hope it will end different but know it won't. It was very informative as well as a good read.
Ver2car
Very good book about Ireland's\struggle for independence. The kind of book I will not forget. It is a novel but based on real life events and people. Gretta Curran Browne was thorough in her research. The Currans in the book are her ancestors.
Chuck
Very good read taking place during the struggle for Ireland's freedom from England. Well written and most enjoyable.
Sue
Four stars for history and for the author's end notes about the real life characters. I always appreciate it when an author educates and informs me about the world.

The painful thing about reading some historical novels is that you know the ultimate fate of the principal players. This one was particularly sad because the fates of these very appealing characters was not good and their sacrifices did not produce good results in the short term. We don't learn easily, and bad people continue to have
Judith
I have to disagree with most of the other reviews of this novel. I couldn't finish it.
Malakoka
Aug 02, 2013 Malakoka marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-by-me
The title "Tread Softly on My Dreams" just screams in my ears, because it is shortened verse from W.B. Yeats's "He Wishes For the Cloths of Heaven".

It sounds like plagiarism , even thou it isn't in fact.

HAD I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because
Barbara
Wonderful book to learn of the Irish struggle for independence! My cousin recommended this book because our grandfather was named for Robert Emmett. I had not known much of his story and did not know anything of the brave Anne Devlin. I stopped reading for awhile toward the end because I knew how it ended and thought reading it would be too upsetting. In between, I went to Ireland, visited Kilmainham Gaol and Emmett's cell, and read a few Irish history books. I finished the book, glad that Curra ...more
Margaret Snowdon
After reading A World Apart and finding the text and punctuation all over the place, I'd lost my enthusiasm to read another of Gretta Curran Browne's books. However, since I'd purchased it along with the other, I was determined to get through it. I wasn't disappointed. The writer drew me in and kept me reading through to the end - as a history lover I found the story of Ireland and its heroes touching and intriguing - such sacrifice and tragedy - such love and hate. If you too enjoy history, the ...more
Marie Rutherford
A gripping novel strongly rooted in history but not a time-line of events - rather themes of love & loyalty with believable characters & great skill in the telling.I could hardly put it down, it filled some gaps in my knowledge but it was the unexpected twists in the drama that had me "living" the story.The number of characters & some with similar names had me on my toes at times, but nevertheless a "don't miss." It stands alone,but there is another to follow.
Betty
Historical fiction based on research. The primary character is Robert Emmet, a young Irish aristocrat who became a leader in the revolts against English rule in the late 1700's- early 1800's. How can anyone who reads such a work as this not be so very grateful for the freedoms that we enjoy? This book was a page turner for me followed by an Internet search to verify the historical accuracy of the real people and events.
Mary Beth Gibson
While this book starts slowly and can be somewhat confusing, stick with it. In no time, it rushes ahead like a stampeding stallion, gripping the reader until the very last page. Making it all the better, it is based on actual people and factual events in Ireland at the turn of the nineteenth century, when Catholics and Protestants banded together to bring about their dream of American-style freedom in their country.
Sharon Tzur
Very interesting historical fiction about the rebellions in Ireland in 1896 and 1803 (hope I got the years right) - with particular focus on some amazing historical figures - Robert Emmet Anne Devlin. There are sections that are very hard to put down. The figures come to life. Well done, but it is a long book, so you'll need to be ready to devote a lot of time to it.

Heather
My heart is heavy as I finish this novel. What a tribute to some remarkable people who fought for freedom. At times I felt a bit overwhelmed by the details, but it was a complicated time and many people affected the story. I learned a great deal about this period of Irish history. Well done.
Imelda Keogh
I'm happy you have been led to this page and so, hopefully, to this absolute gem of a book. A powerful and moving story, I shall not say more since you must read and form your own opinion. I can only hope that you do read and love this book as much as I. Quite simply my favourite book.
Kay
Very interesting reading a fictionalized account of the Irish uprisings, which had hopes of throwing off the oppressive English in the same way the Americans did only a few decades earlier. Hope to read the next two in this trilogy.
Denise
This is a very interesting historical fiction book based on real characters. This type of book is not usually my cup of tea, but the story of the Irish rebellion is riveting. I loved the characters of Mary Devlin and Robert Emmet.
Liz
An inspiring story of Irish history. The author bought the characters to life and recalled their story with sensitivity and authenticity.
I was moved by the characters and their lives.
A beautiful book!
Brenda
A heartbreaking read into the lives of the men & women that fought for Ireland's independence from Britain shortly after America's fight for independence. A piece of history I have never heard/read of.
Shona
I couldn't believe how good this book was. I've ordered the second book, "Fire on the Hill." And I stand in awe of Gretta Curran Browne.
  • Noble Cause
  • A Kingdom's Cost (The Douglas Trilogy, #1)
  • Lady Scandal
  • Windswept
  • Pharaoh's Son
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • Lancelot's Lady
  • The Crown in the Heather (The Bruce Trilogy, #1)
  • The Heart Denied
  • An Eye for Murder (Ellie Foreman, #1)
  • The Sun Zebra
  • Frail Blood
  • The Myths, Legends, and Lore of Ireland
  • Elizabeth's Secrets
  • Susanna and the Spy
  • The Lives of Rachel
  • Vada Faith
  • The Abduction of Mary Rose
By Eastern Windows Ghosts in Sunlight Fire on the Hill (Liberty Trilogy, #2) A World Apart (Liberty Trilogy, #3) The Far Horizon