Start by marking “Julie Andrews: An Intimate Biography” as Want to Read:
Julie Andrews: An Intimate Biography

Julie Andrews: An Intimate Biography

Julie Andrews is one of the last of the great Hollywood musical stars - her extraordinary career spans more than 40 years. This biography, based on many years of the author's contact with Julie, presents a frank portrait of an enduring icon of stage and screen.
Paperback
Published November 8th 2007 by Piatkus Books (first published March 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Julie Andrews, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Julie Andrews

Jen Brown
Jan 11, 2017 Jen Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe it's taken me so long to read this! My late aunt bought this for my birthday probably over ten years ago because I've always adored Julie Andrews since I was a little girl watching her in Mary Poppins. The book was riveting from start to finish. Highly recommend
Lori
Sep 04, 2008 Lori rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Although I actually love Julie Andrews this book was just OK. It was easy to put down. I think the author was trying a little too hard to be thorough and at times it read like a disjointed filmography rather than a biography. I definitely enjoyed the personal nature of her autobiography 'Home' a lot more!
Lynn Rueff
Feb 02, 2009 Lynn Rueff rated it really liked it
Julie Andrews: An Intimate Biography is a wholesome book about an actress, singer, director and writer. From her beginnings in vaudeville as a young prodigy to her recent roles in Shreck the Third and The Princess Diaries 2, Julie Andrews still has leading star quality. Her performing career has spanned over five decades. She has been married to screenwriter and director Blake Edwards for thirty-five years. This biography includes a filmography and descriptions of the children's books she has wr ...more
Caroline
Dec 09, 2009 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has never been a favorite of mine to read about movie stars or sports stars -- 99.9% of them are living in fantasy land. However, Julie Andrews has always been one of the very few stars whom I like. And now I am intimately familiar with the events of Dame Julie's life. Even so, she remains a mysterious, seemingly aloof British icon (American, too). Words like dignity and poise are just not associated with people of her profession anymore. Granted, she is not without her Hollywood faults: cosm ...more
Amy
Jun 08, 2009 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Got bored with it. Hopefully Julie Andrews will write the rest of her own story someday.
Katherine
Mar 28, 2008 Katherine rated it liked it
I watched Rachel Ray today and it looks like Julie wrote her own autobiography titled "Home", but I haven't checked anything out about it yet.

I think that I am going to try the autobiography that Julie Andrews did herself. I tried this one and got about half way through. I was fascinated by the story itself, but not by the story telling. The writer's style is too choppy and vague for me. It doesn't flow well and there are odd quotes and bits of information thrown in at weird points. I couldn't r
Kris
Apr 26, 2010 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a very interesting read. Julie Andrews, despite success, has led a life riddled with personal issues - I wouldn't give you 2 cents for her mother, who she never, ever faulted. Her 2nd and current husband appears beset with emotional and anger issues, much like her step-father. It's a shame she couldn't break herself of those kinds of people in her life - I truly think she would have been a happier person throughout her career & life. I was surprised to read about her adopt ...more
Jen
Jun 09, 2010 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-read
This was a fairly interesting read, detailing the life and career (through the book's publication date) of Julie Andrews. Her early life was definitely not easy - and I didn't realize that for all of her famous hits that we all know (Mary Poppins, Sound of Music, Broadway production of My Fair Lady), there were equally bad movie disasters. I also didn't realize she'd adopted two daughters, in addition to her biological daughter and stepchildren, and how involved she is in charity work.
Miki Garrison
There was so much detail that the book just dragged in places, especially when the author starts going over the same timeline multiple times from different perspectives. Plus, this was one of those biographies in which the author inserts himself just a little bit too much for me, which can make it seem like one big long book of name dropping.

Still, I definitely enjoyed the first part of the book, and learning more about her start on the British vaudeville circuit as a girl.
Jake Shimanek
Aug 11, 2014 Jake Shimanek rated it it was amazing
Man I was totally thrilled to find out that Julie Andrews speaks my language. Growing up as a foul-mouthed school boy, my mother would chastise me and ask why I couldn't simply articulate my protests with the teachers like a British person would. As I have gone fourth in life I am finding that many well admired Britisher like Julie Andrews have penchants for four letter words. What a breath of fresh air. If I'd a know this shit about 30 years ago I would have told my mom to fuck herself!
Jessica
Nov 13, 2010 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, 2010
The book read too matter of factly and was at times too much detail -- it was like taking the plethora of information available for a particular movie on IMDB and dumping it into the book. I learned more about particular shows or movies that I did about Julie Andrews, who I absolutely adore :)

Like former Secretary of State Colin Powell stated, Julie is "an English rose that never withers and never pales."
Ange
Apr 02, 2008 Ange rated it did not like it
Shelves: biography
I didn't really read this. I read the first chapter, looked at the pictures and skimmed the rest which was just enough for me to realize that Julie Andrews is not the sweet, love-able Maria Von Trapp I really had hoped she was. And I openly admit I'm disappointed. I was wanting a biography about someone who would inspire me and I'm not at all inspired. And the writing isn't great enough to pull me in at all. I feel as another reviewer on here: I'd actually rather know less.
Sharon
Apr 01, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This biography is thorough and affectionate. I was most interested in hearing about the outcome of the vocal chord surgery Ms. Andrews underwent. It occurred while I was earning my Masters in Communication disorders, but at that time full information was not available. I learned about that, and much else. A rich history of a varied career, which survived many changes in the entertainment industry.
Marsha
Jan 21, 2009 Marsha rated it it was ok
Did I learn my lesson with the "Marcia Brady" book? Nope. I'm hoping the "Mary Poppins" book will restore my faith in the (auto)biographies I've read lately! After finishing this one, I was a bit disappointed...not with the story, but with the writing. This was a tough book to keep reading. I could manage a chapter or two at a time before my mind wandered elsewhere. I'm going to give Julie Andrews's autobiography a look-see and hope it's a better read.
Bridget
Jan 09, 2013 Bridget rated it it was ok
It is indeed an "intimate" biography, which means you will get way more info. than you likely wanted. I skimmed a lot of this book simply because it was hard to even want to follow the details of every show and performance she ever made and the details of those who worked with her. Sadly, this one was disappointing. I will give her autobiography a try instead.
Ruth
Apr 18, 2015 Ruth rated it liked it
You have to be interested in Julie Andrews to read this, which fortunately I am. It is overly detailed and provides too many industry insider details so I did skim read some parts of the book, but overall it does give the reader a thorough knowledge of Julie's life, how her career has played out and why.
Carol
Jan 10, 2009 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite movies is Victor/Victoria. After I read this book I just had to put it in the player and watch it again. She was/is so beautiful, and her voice is heavenly. This book was a good read, but not much in it that I didn't already know. Except for the fact that we are near the same age!
Kiki
Jan 01, 2012 Kiki marked it as to-read
I'm going to read this. It's apparently not very well written, but I don't care.

I have a revelation for you all: Julie Andrews is my idol.

I love her so much. I do. She's an enormously talented, compassionate, strong and beautiful woman and I absolutely adore her. She's just so magical. I mean, I...

I just...

Ag! Julie Andrews!

Julie Andrews!

Mark Ryan
Apr 28, 2016 Mark Ryan rated it it was amazing
Insightful view on the forever flawless Ms Andrews. Makes an un-biased view on her career, despite favourable leanings (obvious for the author to be that side of the fence). Unearthed a lot of forgotten performances like the Carol Burnett concerts.

Enjoying read, would recommend even to those who only had a passing interest in the Dame previously.
Alyssa
Nov 18, 2015 Alyssa rated it liked it
I love Julie Andrews but this book was too bogged down by the details of the Hollywood system in the 50s and 60s and then glazed over Julie's career highlights. (Barely anything about sound of music, for example). Not one of my favorite bios....
Stefanie Remson
Jan 22, 2016 Stefanie Remson rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this book very much. I found my expectations for her life to be more exciting than they were. I also feel as though some of the things I learned about her lead me to lose some respect for her. I wouldn't recommend this if you like the "Mary Poppins" version of Julie Andrews!
Sharon
Oct 08, 2013 Sharon rated it it was ok
I had hoped for something more interesting, but it was not to be. At least I can now say, after reading this, I do know the woman a bit more than I did before. That I suppose is what the book's purpose was about anyway.
Anne
Feb 23, 2010 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't like reading a book with a lot of dates and place names so at times this book was a little like reading a bibliography of Julie Andrews press clippings but it was an interesting read and had a broader view of her entire life, not just her early years, like her memoir.
Ruth
Mar 20, 2011 Ruth rated it it was amazing
An extraordinary biography of an extraordinary woman!
Cheryl Russell
May 01, 2008 Cheryl Russell rated it really liked it
Interesting read - amazing story of her early years and made me want to read more about the later years. I hired Ms Andrews to speak at our convention in November so hope to get the book signed then.
Fiona Egan
Apr 29, 2014 Fiona Egan rated it did not like it
It's more interesting watching paint dry. I will never get those hours back.
Lesley
Jul 27, 2011 Lesley rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiography
a very close look at the stars life, very good
Charlotte B
Oct 26, 2010 Charlotte B marked it as to-read
i actually read 2-3 chapters of this & then put it down, and it never got picked up again. :( i aim to borrow again from the library.
Caitlin
Although Stirling sometimes glosses over certain parts of Andrews' life, this biography is well-written, insightful, and entertaining.
Konni
I really enjoyed learning more about her life and the other movies she has done. It was a good read.
  • Behind the Smile: My Journey out of Postpartum Depression
  • Kate: The Woman Who Was Hepburn
  • Cary Grant: A Biography
  • Katharine Hepburn
  • Life is a Banquet
  • Evenings with Cary Grant: Recollections in His Own Words and by Those Who Knew Him Best
  • Bogart: In Search of My Father