Start by marking “Julie Andrews: An Intimate Biography” as Want to Read:
Julie Andrews: An Intimate Biography

Julie Andrews: An Intimate Biography

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Julie Andrews is one of the last of the great Hollywood musical stars - her extraordinary career spans more than 40 years. This biography, based on many years of the author's contact with Julie, presents a frank portrait of an enduring icon of stage and screen.
Paperback
Published November 8th 2007 by Piatkus Books (first published March 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Julie Andrews, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Julie Andrews

Lori
Although I actually love Julie Andrews this book was just OK. It was easy to put down. I think the author was trying a little too hard to be thorough and at times it read like a disjointed filmography rather than a biography. I definitely enjoyed the personal nature of her autobiography 'Home' a lot more!
Lynn Rueff
Julie Andrews: An Intimate Biography is a wholesome book about an actress, singer, director and writer. From her beginnings in vaudeville as a young prodigy to her recent roles in Shreck the Third and The Princess Diaries 2, Julie Andrews still has leading star quality. Her performing career has spanned over five decades. She has been married to screenwriter and director Blake Edwards for thirty-five years. This biography includes a filmography and descriptions of the children's books she has wr ...more
Amy
Got bored with it. Hopefully Julie Andrews will write the rest of her own story someday.
Jake Shimanek
Man I was totally thrilled to find out that Julie Andrews speaks my language. Growing up as a foul-mouthed school boy, my mother would chastise me and ask why I couldn't simply articulate my protests with the teachers like a British person would. As I have gone fourth in life I am finding that many well admired Britisher like Julie Andrews have penchants for four letter words. What a breath of fresh air. If I'd a know this shit about 30 years ago I would have told my mom to fuck herself!
Ruth
You have to be interested in Julie Andrews to read this, which fortunately I am. It is overly detailed and provides too many industry insider details so I did skim read some parts of the book, but overall it does give the reader a thorough knowledge of Julie's life, how her career has played out and why.
Katherine
I watched Rachel Ray today and it looks like Julie wrote her own autobiography titled "Home", but I haven't checked anything out about it yet.

I think that I am going to try the autobiography that Julie Andrews did herself. I tried this one and got about half way through. I was fascinated by the story itself, but not by the story telling. The writer's style is too choppy and vague for me. It doesn't flow well and there are odd quotes and bits of information thrown in at weird points. I couldn't r
Kris
I thought this was a very interesting read. Julie Andrews, despite success, has led a life riddled with personal issues - I wouldn't give you 2 cents for her mother, who she never, ever faulted. Her 2nd and current husband appears beset with emotional and anger issues, much like her step-father. It's a shame she couldn't break herself of those kinds of people in her life - I truly think she would have been a happier person throughout her career & life. I was surprised to read about her adopt ...more
Fiona Egan
It's more interesting watching paint dry. I will never get those hours back.
Jen
This was a fairly interesting read, detailing the life and career (through the book's publication date) of Julie Andrews. Her early life was definitely not easy - and I didn't realize that for all of her famous hits that we all know (Mary Poppins, Sound of Music, Broadway production of My Fair Lady), there were equally bad movie disasters. I also didn't realize she'd adopted two daughters, in addition to her biological daughter and stepchildren, and how involved she is in charity work.
Miki Garrison
There was so much detail that the book just dragged in places, especially when the author starts going over the same timeline multiple times from different perspectives. Plus, this was one of those biographies in which the author inserts himself just a little bit too much for me, which can make it seem like one big long book of name dropping.

Still, I definitely enjoyed the first part of the book, and learning more about her start on the British vaudeville circuit as a girl.
Ange
I didn't really read this. I read the first chapter, looked at the pictures and skimmed the rest which was just enough for me to realize that Julie Andrews is not the sweet, love-able Maria Von Trapp I really had hoped she was. And I openly admit I'm disappointed. I was wanting a biography about someone who would inspire me and I'm not at all inspired. And the writing isn't great enough to pull me in at all. I feel as another reviewer on here: I'd actually rather know less.
Marsha
Did I learn my lesson with the "Marcia Brady" book? Nope. I'm hoping the "Mary Poppins" book will restore my faith in the (auto)biographies I've read lately! After finishing this one, I was a bit disappointed...not with the story, but with the writing. This was a tough book to keep reading. I could manage a chapter or two at a time before my mind wandered elsewhere. I'm going to give Julie Andrews's autobiography a look-see and hope it's a better read.
Jessica
The book read too matter of factly and was at times too much detail -- it was like taking the plethora of information available for a particular movie on IMDB and dumping it into the book. I learned more about particular shows or movies that I did about Julie Andrews, who I absolutely adore :)

Like former Secretary of State Colin Powell stated, Julie is "an English rose that never withers and never pales."
Kira
Jan 01, 2012 Kira marked it as to-read
I'm going to read this. It's apparently not very well written, but I don't care.

I have a revelation for you all: Julie Andrews is my idol.

I love her so much. I do. She's an enormously talented, compassionate, strong and beautiful woman and I absolutely adore her. She's just so magical. I mean, I...

I just...

Ag! Julie Andrews!

Julie Andrews!

Bridget
It is indeed an "intimate" biography, which means you will get way more info. than you likely wanted. I skimmed a lot of this book simply because it was hard to even want to follow the details of every show and performance she ever made and the details of those who worked with her. Sadly, this one was disappointing. I will give her autobiography a try instead.
Carol
One of my favorite movies is Victor/Victoria. After I read this book I just had to put it in the player and watch it again. She was/is so beautiful, and her voice is heavenly. This book was a good read, but not much in it that I didn't already know. Except for the fact that we are near the same age!
Anne
I don't like reading a book with a lot of dates and place names so at times this book was a little like reading a bibliography of Julie Andrews press clippings but it was an interesting read and had a broader view of her entire life, not just her early years, like her memoir.
Sharon
I had hoped for something more interesting, but it was not to be. At least I can now say, after reading this, I do know the woman a bit more than I did before. That I suppose is what the book's purpose was about anyway.
Malcolm
This book would have been enhanced if the author had ditched his constant, intrusive, irritation and irrelevant references to both Julie Andrews star sign and the number of time he had met her.
Cheryl Russell
Interesting read - amazing story of her early years and made me want to read more about the later years. I hired Ms Andrews to speak at our convention in November so hope to get the book signed then.
Jen Thompson
excellent book about Julie Andrews! starts from when she was young and follows her life up to her making "Princess Diaries" and beyond. So fun!!
Amy
Very interesting and entertaining -- I learned a lot more about this fabulous person than I knew before.

She's really done a lot in her lifetime.
Charlotte B
Oct 26, 2010 Charlotte B marked it as to-read
i actually read 2-3 chapters of this & then put it down, and it never got picked up again. :( i aim to borrow again from the library.
Caitlin
Although Stirling sometimes glosses over certain parts of Andrews' life, this biography is well-written, insightful, and entertaining.
Amanda Berry
Julie's autobiography, "Home," is much more intimate and personal. This read like a list of film credits on IMDB.
Spring
Too hard to read. The author is very choppy and I couldn't follow him very well. Jumped around a lot.
Konni
I really enjoyed learning more about her life and the other movies she has done. It was a good read.
Sara
After reading this book, I actually wish I knew less about Julie Andrews.
Michelle
Julie Andrews is actually pretty cool. lol.
Reading for English- Biography..
Ruth
An extraordinary biography of an extraordinary woman!
  • Behind the Smile: My Journey out of Postpartum Depression
  • Cary Grant: A Biography
  • Jean Arthur: The Actress Nobody Knew
  • Katharine Hepburn
  • Marlene Dietrich by Her Daughter
  • Evenings with Cary Grant: Recollections in His Own Words and by Those Who Knew Him Best
  • Cary Grant: A Class Apart
  • All His Jazz: The Life And Death Of Bob Fosse
  • Vivien Leigh: A Biography
  • Debbie: My Life
  • Vincent Price: A Daughter's Biography
  • Clark Gable: A Biography
  • The Book of Light: The Nature of God, the Structure of Consciousness and the Universe within You
Julie Andrews: An Intimate Biography Julie Andrews: An Intimate Biography