Start by marking “Catnapped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Catnapped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #1)

Catnapped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #1)

Nine lives go fast...

Legal investigator Sara Townley's not feeling too good about her recent Vegas wedding to a Navy SEAL she barely knows, and her assignment to the case of a missing cat-despite the fur ball's multimillion dollar inheritance-only confirms that her life is in the litter box.

When the Navy man comes home from active service to make good on his vows, and
Published September 4th 2007 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Catnapped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catnapped

Matthew
Mar 19, 2015 Matthew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is awful. I'm convinced the author had to write in the protagonist's husband once she realized the protagonist was entirely too incompetent and volatile to function in a book by herself.
Carol
Mar 11, 2014 Carol rated it liked it
Literally, don't judge this book by its cover. Its a tad more...ahem.. adult-themed than the "tween" front cover suggests. Which s a good thing! ;) Author endows main character Sara with the curiosity equivalent of a cat clowder... foolish moxie/bravado without brains backup ....yet bungling Sara's witty gab and oddball instincts guide her through personal and professional landmines, many of which she hastily brings upon herself. For a fluff-chick piece, the catnapping mystery surprisingly ...more
Chelsea Tall
Jul 07, 2014 Chelsea Tall rated it did not like it
I picked this up at a garage sale simply because it had a cat on the cover, and I thought "a mystery with a cat. Could be amusing." And it was mildly entertaining. At first it seemed promising because the author had a quirky sense of humor and witty writing. However, the main heroine's neurosis quickly got tiresome, as did the description of how she was able to eat incredible amounts of food but still managed to be amazingly skinny and beautiful enough to have a sexy god-like man for a husband. ...more
Mirah W
Jul 28, 2011 Mirah W rated it liked it
This was a fun, fast-paced caper. Even though it was light there was still a legit mystery that wasn't a giveaway. Mysterious people, feuding enemies, missing money, questionable deaths, and most importantly, a missing feline. The characters were enjoyable and made the novel light-hearted while still dealing with real relationship issues. The witty dialogue just rounded everything out nicely. While reading I was reminded of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Overall, a good read...I ...more
Rachel
Nov 02, 2015 Rachel rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People I don't like
Yuk
Protagonist has superhot Navy SEAL husband that she married after they had sex in Vegas. She hasn't seen him for months, but she must be fantastic. Husband has returned and is determined to have a real marriage. She apparently has no brain function when she is around him and they can't keep their hands off of each other.
When she is not around him, she doesn't want him in her life, and tries to avoid going home - to the point where she prefers to stay in a hospital.
Why this guy likes her, I'l
Annthelibrarian
Jul 22, 2009 Annthelibrarian rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
Sara Townley takes a case investigating a missing cat, and is also dealing with her new husband's return, a husband whom she barely knows. I picked this up thinking it would be a cute "cat mystery," but really, the cat plays a very small role in this novel. Lightweight fluff.
Kimberly
Oct 06, 2016 Kimberly rated it liked it
The first in a series. Cute and clever. Fun and light read.
Gwenette
Apr 11, 2008 Gwenette rated it it was ok
Had an email conversation with this author; am about three chapters into the book. She jumps right into the action, maybe more so than other mysteries I've read.

Well, I ended up with mixed reactions to this book. I didn't initially like the main character; she's one of those "I can do it myself" types who didn't outgrow that attitude after the age of 2. Lots of people have that characteristic, but the author bashes readers over the head with it. I got tired of it after a while.

Still, the charac
Mimi
Apr 18, 2016 Mimi rated it it was ok
So why would a hunky smart guy continue to be with a woman who just insists on picking fights with him? She gets huffed when he does things to help her, secretly or no, but it's ok to lie to him and secretly do what you just said you wouldn't? A few times might be ok, but this just gets old as it goes on and on and on. While the plot seemed ok, this nit picking territorial stuff was so obvious that I ultimately jumped to the end and thought a little counseling wouldn't hurt her and save me from ...more
Pam
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery/2007/314 pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: #1 in Animal Instinct series
TIME/PLACE: Present/Seattle
CHARACTERS: Sara Townley/legal investigator
FIRST LINES: Do I appear to be kidding, Sara?

COMMENTS: 01/04/08 -- rec from John S (MOTB)This one never took off for me and dragged. The quickie Vegas marriage to Connor the Navy Seal ... just didn't buy it, OK they may have married but why stay married when he immediately
Ed
Mar 28, 2015 Ed rated it liked it
#1 in the Animal Instincts series. An inoffensive animal-centric series that apparently ran to 3 entries through 2009. Not bad but I haven't yet tried #2.

Animal Instinct series - Sara Townley is a low-level investigator for a Seattle law firm. Her current assignment is to find a missing cat that has inherited a multi-million trust fund. Problems include several dead bodies and numerous unsavory characters. Helping her are her best friend ( a gay radio personality) and her husband (met and marrie
Pamela Gibson
Aug 23, 2015 Pamela Gibson rated it really liked it
I found this book in a boater's exchange and was surprised at how much I liked it. It's a cozy mystery, full of odd characters, including the heroine. The author's voice is wonderful, and my only complaint is that I never got the backstory of how the hero and heroine got together, nor did I ever get a good picture of what she looked like. Nevertheless, it has a good plot and a nice twist at the end.
Margaret
Mar 14, 2016 Margaret rated it really liked it
Was she just imagining that she got married? After knowing someone for a week? Four months ago?
She's been doing reasonably OK. A real job, sort of. A work friend, who has assumed she was gay. A best friend, who is.
And now this gorgeous guy wants to be in on everything in her life. But not share his. And will be gone again in about a week.
OK so he's a Navy SEAL. And she did find this dead body in a dangerous alley. But where does he get off telling her what to do?
Amy
May 20, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
Great story (debut & #1 in a series) and really how can Herkert miss? You have a main character (Sara) and her hubby (married him after only knowing him a week in Vegas), Connor, who is a Navy Seal and she is solving mysteries relating to animals. This one is about a cat who is inheriting A LOT of money!

I love the chemistry between Sara and Connor and can't wait for book #2, which isn't due out until next September!
Jan
Oct 07, 2013 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, series
Got better as one continued. It took me four weeks to finish with at least 4-6 other books finished first. After I finished, I tried to come up with an image of the main character, Sara, and I failed. I was more sympathetic with the two guys in her life and could vaguely imagine them. Perhaps this is a take-off on the taming of the shrew and this is why I felt uncomfortable.
Trish
Feb 23, 2015 Trish rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-animals
Not quite sure why, but this seemed to be lacking something, especially in the chemistry (or lack of) of the main character and her Vegas-romance husband. If that gets sorted out in later books, there's some potential for it to improve.
Alycia
Feb 26, 2015 Alycia rated it did not like it
I just cannot get into this book ... I've started at least 6 books since I started this one, and finished most of them. This one just drags on and I cannot connect with the main character. She seems whiny and immature and pretty irresponsible.
Kirstin Sandaas
Dec 02, 2013 Kirstin Sandaas rated it it was amazing
My friend Gabi wrote this well-developed mystery about a cat who receives an inheritance, a female private detective and her very hot Navy Seal boy friend. A fun, light read that also lets you use your brain to figure out the mystery.
Susan
Apr 05, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read in a promising new series. I have read the second book as well and am keeping my eye out for others in the series.
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2009
Karla
Karla rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2008
Brenda
Brenda rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2011
Katreader
Katreader rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2008
Sue Em
Sue Em rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2012
Nickie
Nickie rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2011
Lark
Lark rated it liked it
May 24, 2009
Deborah Darsie
Deborah Darsie rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2009
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Beaglemania (Pet Rescue Mystery, #1)
  • Scratch the Surface (A Cat Lover's Mystery #1)
  • Dead Canaries Don't Sing (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #1)
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • Whiskey Straight Up (A Whiskey Mattimoe Mystery, #2)
  • Paws for Murder (Pet Boutique #1)
  • Desolate Angel
  • Words With Fiends (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Hounding the Pavement (Dog Walker Mysteries, #1)
  • The Case of the Roasted Onion (The Casebook of Dr. McKenzie, #1)
  • Elvis and the Dearly Departed (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #1)
  • Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #1)
  • How to Wash a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery #1)

An Animal Instinct Mystery (3 books)
  • Doggone (An Animal Instinct Mystery #2)
  • Horsewhipped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #3)