Start by marking “Bunnies on Ice” as Want to Read:
Bunnies on Ice

Bunnies on Ice

Published January 8th 2013 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Bunnies on Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bunnies on Ice

The Hat by Jan BrettSugarwing Snowflake's Great Adventure by Putzi SaundersWinter Special by Elizabeth LindsayThe Dancing Salmon by Lone Alaskan GypsyThe Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
Let’s Go Play in the Snow!
12th out of 12 books — 4 voters
Journey by Aaron BeckerThe Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltThe Dark by Lemony SnicketFlora and the Flamingo by Molly IdleMr. Tiger Goes Wild by Peter  Brown
2014 Mock Caldecott
79th out of 79 books — 223 voters

More lists with this book...

Tasha
Jan 23, 2013 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This icy read is just right for a very cold winter day, like we have been having here in Wisconsin. One little bunny thinks that she is a champion ice-skater. As a champion, she has to wait for conditions to be just right, even if it means waiting through spring, summer and fall! When the waiting is finally over, she has to eat a big breakfast to prepare. Clothing selection is also important, enough layers to be warm, but not too many. Finally, it is time to skate her adoring fans. She demonstra ...more
Jeanette Smith
Mar 10, 2016 Jeanette Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
It was the texture of the background in the illustrations which caught my eye as it was not cross-hatching I had seen in other illustrations. The background is that of a canvas and each illustration is a painted scene of the story's main character, a bunny who is, a champion ice skater. You will also see her family included in the illustrations as an intricate piece of what it takes to be, a champion ice skater. Our little bunny shows the dedication, patience, and support it takes to be, a champ ...more
Christine Turner
Jan 27, 2014 Christine Turner rated it really liked it
When you're a champion ice-skater, you have to wait for the conditions to be just right. You have to wait through spring. You have to wait through summer. You have to wait through autumn until . . . Finally, as the snow begins to fall, you can show the world just how good you really are! From the author/illustrator of The Secret Circus and Bandits comes one very self-assured young rabbit's first-hand account of the trials and tribulations of being a skating star, with illustrations that will mel ...more
Jessica
Oct 26, 2013 Jessica rated it liked it
I think I need to start a "bunnies" shelf on my goodreads. I actually went to mark this "bunnies" and was surprised that I didn't already have a shelf. Anyway, there isn't too much to say about Bunnies on Ice. It's a cute and colorful little book with painted illustrations. You can see the canvas on the page, which I found really charming. The illustrations had a good amount of detail, enough that a young child won't get too bored of reading it several times. The story is about a young bunny who ...more
Aleece
Feb 20, 2014 Aleece rated it it was amazing
Bunny is a champion ice-skater and talks about how you have to wait for the right conditions, be prepared, and train a lot in order to be a champion.

Overall this is a really cute story about ice-skating and will be enjoyed by children that like to having fun outside. The illustrations are sweet and portray a dream of becoming a champion. This is a good story for all ages.
Corinne
Cute illustrations. I liked that the girl considers herself a professional skater. Maybe a little cocky though. Cute bunny family.
Melissa
Sep 16, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
Cute story and great pictures, especially good for discussions about seasons and waiting for the different seasons.
Michael
May 22, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it
A simple, reflective tale enjoyable for those who like bunnies and ice skating. Playful and forgiving.
Brittany
Jan 13, 2016 Brittany rated it it was ok
A good story about waiting for things and trying your best. It just didn't appeal to me or my daughter.
Alexandria Hiam
A confident and determined young rabbit demonstrates how to be a champion ice-skater.
A
Mar 14, 2016 A rated it liked it
Rani
May 23, 2016 Rani rated it really liked it
An ice skater has a long wait before she can go out and skate.
Scottsdale Public Library
Cool rules for being a skating champion.

- Monty K.
Alyssa Calhoun
Dec 06, 2015 Alyssa Calhoun rated it really liked it
A fun winter book for preschool-kinders!
Mckinley
May 21, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, family, sport, rodent
The story is ok, the tone is fun and the illustration are good; the entire thing is lots of fun.
Cara Reads Kids
Recommends it for: Margy
hella short
Betsy
Oct 08, 2013 Betsy rated it really liked it
Personally, this cover didn't "grab" me--if you're in that camp as well, then "don't judge a book by its cover!"

I really like the illustrations in this book and the simple text works well. The illustrations enrich the text significantly by showing us a bit more of the story. A young bunny is narrating the story and tells us that she is a champion ice skater. The illustrations show us just how "champion" she is in reality. Nice progression of story. Great palette.
Green Bean
Jan 24, 2013 Green Bean rated it really liked it
I picked this up because we had the author/illustrator coming to our store for an event. I was so happy that I actually liked the book. It had a funny story with a great message. The best way I can describe the illustrations is “comforting.” A book is good when you immediately want to tell someone about it! Johanna Wright was a genuinely nice person and she packed the house! We had hot chocolate and everything.
Janet
Dec 11, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
Nothing like a child imaging that they are extremely good as a skill, in this case it is a bunny imaging being a champion ice skater. Good story with lots of warm relationships with friends and family shown in the illustrations. I especially liked the detail of the rabbits home and oh, yes, "eat a balanced diet" while the rabbit family toasts marshmallows in front of the fireplace.
Lynn
Dec 31, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-nf
Delightful portrayal of waiting through the seasons for just the right time to skate, this will show youngsters that there are some things we must simply wait for. The second great point of this book is how the bunny portrays herself, but really knows she is not quite the professional skater she wants to be - yet!
Soft illustrations show a warm, supportive family. Lucky bunny.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
In order to ice skate, you must wait for the perfect conditions.

A young rabbit shares how to be a champion ice skater. The first lesson is waiting for the winter - the right conditions. She shares her guidelines as she demonstrates them on the page. Wright shares young rabbit's story through one day of being a champion ice skater.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Karen Arendt
Apr 23, 2013 Karen Arendt rated it really liked it
A bunny thinks she is a champion ice skater but the pictures belie her words. She is determined, though, and continues to try even though she has troubles. Her confidence is contagious and will aspire many children to continue to strive for their dreams. The illustrations are full of color and have texture that makes you want to touch the page.
Bethe
Dec 05, 2013 Bethe rated it liked it
#nerdlution day 4. Delightful story of a confident bunny, patiently waiting for ice skating season to begin. Championship bunny support team includes a loving family, hot chocolate, and toasted marshmallows. Love that dad bunny is cooking breakfast and later knitting. Also love the full bookshelves in every room!
Sharon Lawler
Apr 19, 2013 Sharon Lawler rated it really liked it
Story is told in first person from the point of view of the family ice skating champion. She has to wait for three seasons to pass for perfect ice skating weather, and then.....Lets just say to be a champion skater, one needs a support group, the right food, hot chocolate, and sleep. Great family story!
Great Books
Mar 12, 2013 Great Books rated it liked it
Shelves: family
This is a delightful story of a charming bunny who believes she is a "champion" ice skater even if she has not yet mastered all the moves. The beautiful illustrations make this is a wonderful book to share together with some hot chocolate and marshmallows just like the bunnies in the story. Reviewer 11.
Cindy Dobrez
Feb 22, 2013 Cindy Dobrez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
If Twelve Kinds of Ice by Ellen Obed was the perfect tribute to ice skating passion last year, this story is the perfect tribute this year...and for the younger set. I long to own an original picture book piece of art and this book has art that I would love to frame and hang on the wall. Someday...
Cindy
Apr 25, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a very cute story about a bunny who knows that she is a champion ice skater. She steps you though all the things that a champion should do. The illustrations are very beautiful and add a great deal to the story. I think this would be a great read aloud.
Chechoui
Apr 24, 2013 Chechoui rated it really liked it
Delightful children's book with beautiful painted illustrations. Depiction of a very cute bunny family with an ice skating daughter rabbit. Fun winter tale perfect for curling up with in the wintertime with hot chocolate. Lots of cute details in their warren home.
Barbara
May 15, 2013 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What a fun book to read to discuss the seasons or winter! Great pen and paint illustrations on canvas lend themselves to a lot of different kinds of disccusions from "What do you see here?" to "What is she doing?" to "Why do you think she did that?"
  • Big Snow
  • Abigail
  • Windblown
  • Xander's Panda Party
  • Doug Unplugged
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?