Start by marking “I Never Loved Your Mind” as Want to Read:
I Never Loved Your Mind

I Never Loved Your Mind

At 17, Dewey Daniels is fed up with his boring high school and decides to drop out, taking a part-time job at Richmond Valley Hospital. one day he catches fellow dropout Yvette Goethals stealing hospital supplies, and it's lust at first sight.But Yvette and Dewey are like night and day: she's a vegetarian and couldn't care less about a romantic commitment; he loves cheeseb ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 144 pages
Published February 1st 1984 by Starfire (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about I Never Loved Your Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Never Loved Your Mind

Chosen by P.C. CastBurned by P.C. CastTempted by P.C. CastHunted by P.C. CastMarked by P.C. Cast
YA books I would not recommend to YAs
37th out of 46 books — 10 voters
As You Like It by William ShakespeareAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy BlumeOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussTwelfth Night by William ShakespeareWhere Are You Going, Where Have You Been? by Joyce Carol Oates
All Yours
129th out of 218 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

May 17, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-literature
Valerie
Jan 11, 2009 Valerie rated it did not like it
I could not relate to any of the characters. I think the main character is very arrogant and stupid, which is ironic.
Kye Alfred Hillig
Dec 15, 2008 Kye Alfred Hillig rated it it was amazing
I read this once and just breezed through it. Zindel is a great pulp author that seems to have gone mostly unnoticed. A thrilling read, I loved watching the main character chase after this young woman and watch the kind of shit that he tumbles in because of it. Awesome! I would love to read more by him.
Em
Jan 19, 2014 Em rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoyed The Catcher in the Rye
Recommended to Em by: my mum
It frightens me to think that my two favourite books at the moment are about high school dropouts/people who have left and/or been asked to leave high school early but I'm going to assume that it means that I will never actually drop out or have even considered dropping out.

I Never Loved Your Mind is an interesting novel about love but love that comes and does not last and unlike a lot of teenage fiction where the love surprisingly lasts a long time for the couple who only met around a week pri
Frena Tan
Sep 27, 2014 Frena Tan rated it really liked it
All the while I was reading this I thought this was around John Lennon's time with an anti-war-love-for-all theme. This one's a refreshing tale of teenage love. I was expecting the story to unfold with some deep twist, with some heartbreaking story behind Yvette's demeanor but then it just ended almost like in mid-sentence. Ending of this kind never fail to boggle the mind, maybe even haunting. I'm just glad Dewey Daniel got through the teenage crisis with a brighter perspective though still un ...more
John
Jun 24, 2014 John rated it liked it
I decided for some reason or other to read all (or almost all) of Paul Zindel's books in 2003 and there were some running themes in them: teenagers, always teenagers, with some sort of emotional issues; awkward, heart-wrenching romances that largely end horribly and clever turns of phrase. Also, adults who have misguided notions about teenagers being much more mature and responsible than they are. But he's a good writer and the books are quick reads. This is another book about a well-meaning but ...more
Megan
I'll never love this book.. there are far better novels about being a teen out there.
Amy Saia
Jan 13, 2013 Amy Saia rated it it was amazing
After reading The Pigman I knew Zindel was a master of teen voice, and though Dewey's narrative is more subtle it's no less observant. There's so much detail in the book, so much transposition of action into thought, filtering back into action again. Dewey misses nothing and often I wondered why he'd want to be with a witch like Yvette. She's completely annoying and has no interest in anyone but herself. Indeed, you can tell she's only going to bring disappointment, but still she becomes his que ...more
Hannah
Dec 21, 2014 Hannah rated it it was ok
Annoying, plotless, and arrogant. Yes, I understand that it was ironic and intentionally unbearable. But it wasn't developed well enough for me to excuse it or connect with it. The vernacular of this kid was amazing though, and I thoroughly enjoyed the antics of Yvette (despite her being totally crazy and probably strung out). Would I read it again? Yes. Would I recommend? Eh.
Melissa Namba
Aug 31, 2016 Melissa Namba rated it did not like it
a miss. I feel like this is a wannabe holden Caulfield story but the narrator is not as enigmatic as he should be. in addition, the girl is bleh. I know it is in the curriculum at some schools. I question their decision. there aren't any real good literary tropes to analyze and the story is simple and shallow. the kid ends up being deluded and deciding to follow the girl. Lame.
Mrsreader
Another ill-conceived gift to horribly depressed teenager. Still not as bad as My Darling, My Hamburger in that respect.
D.M. Dutcher
Nov 10, 2013 D.M. Dutcher rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
Two completely insufferable teens interact with each other in the background of a hospital in the sixties or seventies. I think Dewey is the most unlikable teen protagonist I've ever read, both condescending and convinced of his own self-importance, and when he latches on to Yvette its a meeting of unlikable minds. Yvette's a real piece of work, and she winds up screwing Dewey over.

It's hard to care though, because both of them suck. Paul Zindel sure can write which is why this book gets two sta
Lise
Feb 05, 2016 Lise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny and wise coming of age story. Sort of my "Bible" when I was a teenager.
Becky
Nov 01, 2011 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will never forget how Yvette is described with her long straight hair. Dewey says she moves her hair from her face like she's moving a curtain rod. I loved the visual then and I still remember it 30 years later. This book was not his best, but the whole vegetarian hippie guy caught inhaling a cheeseburger by the main character is another thing that stands out in my mind.
Taylor
Oct 12, 2011 Taylor rated it it was ok
Just about every aspect of the book was a shocker. Very unpredictable. People don't write like this anymore I guess. This is a good and bad thing but I'm still unsure. Definitely worth reading though. This book was published in 1970? A lot has changed since then. The style of writing I mean.
Jason
Sep 30, 2010 Jason rated it liked it
funny. dated... but in a good way. like no other. definitely an interesting snapshot of the late 60's/early 70's. a compelling yet frustrating character study.
Devin
Nov 24, 2009 Devin rated it it was ok
I thought this book was alright, not Zindels best work. He seems to have trouble developing a character.
Mercedes
Mar 10, 2011 Mercedes rated it did not like it
It was an interesting take on a boys admitted shallowness and of what he didn't learn from his expirience.
Tara Calaby
Sep 13, 2015 Tara Calaby rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
I don't remember a lot about this one, beyond the fact that I definitely read it as a teenager.
elissa
Sep 21, 2007 elissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books in the late 70's, but I don't remember a whole lot about it at this point.
Elizabeth
I Never Loved Your Mind by Paul Zindel (1971)
Bridget
Apr 23, 2016 Bridget rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: total-kid-stuff
One of my favorite books circa 1995.
Jean
Jun 25, 2013 Jean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Almost unbelievably irritating.
Alexandra
Nov 01, 2007 Alexandra added it
Shelves: youngadult
read, but utterly forgotten.
Not_underground
Not_underground rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Susie
Susie added it
Sep 15, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Priya Jain
Priya Jain marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Susan Fanale
Susan Fanale marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Erika
Erika rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2016
  • If I Love You, Am I Trapped Forever?
  • The Missing Persons League
  • Hangin' Out with Cici
  • Mom, the Wolf Man, and Me
  • To Take A Dare
  • Aliens: Labyrinth
  • Aliens: Music of the Spears (Aliens)
  • Don't Look and It Won't Hurt
  • Trial by Error (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #21)
  • Waiting Games
  • It's Not the End of the World
  • Up in Seth's Room
  • Indiana Jones and the White Witch (Indiana Jones: Prequels #8)
  • Aliens: Rogue (Aliens)
  • Predator: Cold War
  • The Ultimate Alphabet
  • A Mirror for Witches
  • Beat the Turtle Drum
Paul Zindel was an American author, playwright and educator.

In 1964, he wrote The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, his first and most successful play. The play ran off-Broadway in 1970, and on Broadway in 1971. It won the 1971 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. It was also made into a 1972 movie by 20th Century Fox. Charlotte Zolotow, then a vice-president at Harper & Row (now Harper-
More about Paul Zindel...