Start by marking “Mother Earth and Her Children: A Quilted Fairy Tale” as Want to Read:
Mother Earth and Her Children: A Quilted Fairy Tale

Mother Earth and Her Children: A Quilted Fairy Tale

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Theincredibly intricate and vivid illustrations in this book are detailsof amodern quilt inspired bySibylle von Olfers' classicstorybookMother Earth andHer Children.This vibrant new translation, in turn inspired by the quilt,explores the changingof the seasons and delicately touches upon the circle of life. When Mother Earth calls her children to prepare for spring, the ea ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Breckling Press (first published 1906)

To ask other readers questions about Mother Earth and Her Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother Earth and Her Children

Gundula
Sibylle von Olfers' Etwas von den Wurzelkindern is one of my all-time favourite picture books. I loved this book as a child (and have fond memories of both of my grandmothers reading it to me), and I still love both the simple, poetic text and the luminous "Jugendstil" illustrations. Sibylle von Olfers' masterpiece represents a glowing, loving homage to spring, youth, rebirth, joy, and the loving care Mother Earth gives to all. For a picture book originally published in 1906, Etwas von den Wurze ...more
Gundula
Jan 29, 2015 Gundula rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Sibylle von Olfers, anyone who loves Jugendstil illustrations
After being rather disappointed with the text (the translation, or rather the so-called translation) of The Story of the Root-Children, I am glad to have been quite pleasantly surprised with and by both the text and the quilted illustrations of Mother Earth and Her Children: A Quilted Fairy Tale. I have to admit that while the original illustrations by Sibylle von Olfers will always remain a personal favourite, I was and continue to be wowed and impressed by Sieglinde Schoen-Smith's quiltwork an ...more
Lisa Vegan
Nov 15, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
I read this version, illustrated by Sieglinde Schoen Smith, in the form of a quilt that she made. The original book appears to have an edition illustrated by the author. This edition is translated by Jack Zipes and from what I’ve read, it’s also not the full original text that Sibylle von Olfers wrote over a century ago. I am curious about the other edition.

The quilt is lovely, especially the last frame that shows the entire pattern. I do love quilts and this has such a detailed pattern. The boo
Mary
What a beautiful story! Written as a German tale in 1906, Sieglinde Schoen Smith retells it in the beauty of quilt.
The illustrations are of the actual quilt that Ms. Smith created from this precious tale of Mother Earth, her children, and the seasons of the year.
Emily
The Story of the Root Children.

What a wonderful little book! I found an online edition, complete with artwork, at childrenslibrary.org. Unfortunately it was in the original German so I had my husband translate it for me (over the phone while he was out of town for work--what a fabulous guy!). It's difficult to translate poetry, so I'm sure I missed out on some of the magic, but I picked up the gist of the story. The root children are little flowers and weeds whom Mother Earth awakens to prepare
The incredible illustrations in this book are details of a modern quilt inspired by Sibylle von Olfers' classic storybook Mother Earth and Her Children. This book was inspired by the quilt which explores the changing of the seasons and lightly talks about the circle of life. When Mother Earth calls her children to prepare for spring, the earthly children come and stretch before they make themselves beautiful and ready for the season to change. They dust off the bumblebees, scrub the beetles, pai ...more
Crystal Marcos
I enjoyed the illustrations in Mother Earth and Her Children: A Quilted Fairy Tale. I haven't read the original version and hope to someday if it is ever translated fully into English. I did not care much for the rhyming text in this version. It didn't flow very well, especially as a read aloud. I understand this was a shorter version than the original. I liked the additional informative text in the back of the book.
Cheryl
Pretty, and sweet. And impressive. Good authors note. Awfully old-fashioned, though. Reminded me of those works I've seen by Elsa Beskow.
sabisteb
1906 veröffentlichte Sibylle von Olfers das Buch „Etwas von den Wurzelkindern“. In diesem Buch leben die Wurzelkinder (wer auch immer sie sein sollen) mit ihrer Mutter Erde unter der Erde bei den Pflanzenwurzeln. Im Frühjahr nähen sich die Wurzelkinder selber bunte Kleidchen, malen Käfer an und vertrödeln den Rest der warmen Jahreszeit in Wald und Flur, bis sie im Herbst wieder unter die Wurzeln verschwinden.
Als Kind hatte ich keinen Kontakt zu diesem Buch. Wahrscheinlich muss man es als Kind l
Katherine
Lovely verse tells the story of the root children who array themselves in the various colors of flowers for spring and summer, and then are called back to mother earth as the autumn winds begin to blow. The pictures are photographs of an amazing hand-embroidered quilt depicting this story of nature. Beautiful!
Tim
One of my all time favourite books, a childhood favourite I thought I'd never find again.
Kami
The quilt (therefore the pictures) was amazing. The story not so much.
Susan
This is a retelling of an old German folk tale, with illustrations that are pictures of a quilt created based on the story. The story line is a cute one about the changing seasons, involving little children (called "root children" in the German original) who sleep through the winter and are woken in the spring by Mother Nature. The quilt is amazingly intricate and well-done. But I just didn't see the story grabbing current children.
Marcia First
Genre: Fairy Tale

This is an incredible book mainly for its art work. It is all done in quilting and the detail is amazing. It is absolutely stunning. The story is about Mother Earth's little cherubs who help with the work to get summer going: like painting the beetles and brushing the bees. The story is told in verse and is simple and childlike and matches the artwork beautifully.
Christina Packard
Beautiful graphics. She quilted her pictures!
Alice
The story is nice, but I wonder what i would be like in the Original German (I speak a little German) I wonder if the translation is close. Anyways, the story is simple and lovely and I think that is what Sibylle Von Olfers was trying to convey!
April
Pretty cool illustrations. A fun little German folk tale on how the seasons pass...with Mother Earth and her children. We enjoy reading fairy tales and folk tales from other cultures!
MaryAnn
Beautiful book based on Etwas von den Wurzelkindern by Sibylle von Olfers. Illustrations are from the award-winning quilt by Sieglinde Schoen Smith. Love it!
Bookkitten *happily drowning in books*
I found this book in a little tea shop & loved it. It´s one of the rare books where you can feel that the author crafted it withlove and care.
Rebeccameder
Really quaint and beautiful quilt turned into illustrations for this gentle book. I think it's best viewed in it's entirety at the end of the story.
Holly
A Charming book that allows curiosity and imagination while exploring the world of nature. We read it in our unit on animals in winter.
Brooke
It was one of my favorite German children's books when I was growing up, it was fun to finally read it in English:)
Pixie
Amazing Art, & it's a real quilt that a woman made in mourning. I have it if anyone wants to check it out. ;)
Maren Prestegaard
Something kind of special about this book. But may appeal to adults more than kids with its sense of style.
Becky
Gorgeous illustrations. Bittersweet story behind the story (as told in the back of the book.) Lovely.
Natalie
A pretty little book illustrated by vignettes from a quilt. Takes you through the seasons.
Kathryn
Sweet, sweet story and colorful and bright illustrations. Each page was wonderful.
Catherine
The text is sweet, but the quilt made to illustrate the story is magnificent.
Allanna
The story is sweet ... but the quilt itself is awe-inspiring.
Becky Dutton
If you are a quilt lover, you will enjoy this book.
  • Children of the Forest
  • Jamela's Dress
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • Alfie Gets in First
  • Morris' Disappearing Bag
  • Pancakes for Findus (Findus and Pettson) (Findus & Pettson)
  • Max (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • The Secret Lives of Princesses
  • The Church Mouse
  • Avocado Baby
  • Window
The Story of the Root Children The Story of the Snow Children The Story of the Wind Children Princess in the Forest The Story of the Butterfly Children