Start by marking “Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era” as Want to Read:
Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era

Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era (The Sovereign Era #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  727 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Fans of Spider-Man, silver age comics, and alternate history will enjoy this novel of teen angst and metahumans! This coming of age story is set in an alternate 1980's, where people with amazing abilities make themselves known. Can young Nathan Charters find himself in this uncertain new world? Who is he, where did he come from, and is he part of a remarkable new minority. ...more
Paperback, 1 page
Published by MWS MMedia (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era

Infected by Scott SiglerEarthcore by Scott SiglerThe Rookie by Scott SiglerNocturnal by Scott SiglerAncestor by Scott Sigler
Best Free Audiobooks
12th out of 157 books — 484 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreSoon I Will Be Invincible by Austin GrossmanThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael ChabonBatman by Frank MillerHero by Perry Moore
Superhero Fiction
103rd out of 553 books — 1,004 voters

More lists with this book...

Larry
Jul 02, 2008 Larry rated it it was amazing
bravemenrun.pngI read the novel, “Brave Men Run” ( by
Matthew Wayne Selznick ) on a single flight from Detroit to Denver. Was it short in comparison to some novels? Yes. But I was able to finish the book because I just could not put it down. It was that engaging.

It is the story of a teenage boy who is struggles with being different. He has the attributes of a cat, and a strength proportion more than his own. An outcast, but not for those reasons. This is th
Timothy Ward
May 21, 2011 Timothy Ward rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dan Absalonson
Brave Men Run proved the impossible by showing me a young adult book I could enjoy. Normally, I am turned off by stories about teenagers because I just don't care about the troubles they face. I'm not trying to be insensitive, I'm just saying most of the YA I've read seemed childish and petty. Brave Men Run is far from that, and gives me hope in YA.

Selzick has crafted well rounded, and unique superheroes that explore high school drama in a way that evokes interest and sympathy. His prose is con
Geoffrey
Mar 30, 2014 Geoffrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, punk, superhero
I read the first book in this duology back in 2008 and when I saw there was a new book out, I reread the first one before reading the second. It’s a pretty good story for all that it’s YA. This is the story of a 15yo misfit, Nate, in 1985 who realizes why he’s a misfit when a group of people go public with their superpowers declaring themselves Sovereign. Nate’s abilities can be summed up as being cat-like dexterity, strength and speed with an ability to see in the dark. He has oversized eyes an ...more
Carl Alves
Oct 20, 2014 Carl Alves rated it liked it
Set in 1985, the story starts off with a declaration by Dr. Donner that there is a new race of super-powered beings that are coming out of the shadows and into society. Naturally, the government hasn’t reacted with open arms to the super-beings. Meanwhile, high school student Nate Charters is dealing with his own developing powers. He has ultra-fast reflexes, a high metabolism, and unusual appearance, which has made him an outcast in high school and a target of bullying. After this proclamation, ...more
Modi123
Mar 06, 2014 Modi123 rated it it was ok
This is more of a two and a half stars.. The book was pretty plainly written, and lacked focus outside of the general cliches of any young adult book. Ultimate loner has super powers.. super hottie and him start to date.. loner turns the tables on a bully.. secret BigBusiness groups are out to get him.. shadowy pasts are not so shadowy.

Eh.. it read very route and not that interesting.. Maybe if I were younger it would grab me, but this really didn't.

Got it from the StoryBundle #13 - Sci-Fi Satu
Michell Plested
Aug 19, 2013 Michell Plested rated it really liked it
Brave Men Run is the story of Nathan Charters, a young man who is an outcast amongst his peers. That comes largely from his appearance which, as he often explains, is freakish. But there is more that sets him apart from others than looks.

It isn’t until a group of people, who call themselves “Sovereigns”, reveal themselves that things really come to a head for Nathan. The Sovereigns are meta-humans with abilities beyond that of normal people. Some look like everyday people and some have much diff
Gerold Whittaker
Apr 25, 2011 Gerold Whittaker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, ebook
I picked up the first 11 chapters as a free book downloaded on iTunes. It was just getting to the really interesting stage at the end of the free book - I had to have the rest. The author does a good job of telling readers where to get the rest of the book and in my case, I simply downloaded the podcasts from iTunes (the entire book is available for free as podcasts on iTunes and the Author's website).

Nate Charters has grown up being different - not only does he look different but he also has su
Mike
Jan 10, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: podiobooks, indie
I'd previously enjoyed this story, in a slightly different and earlier form, from Podiobooks. I bought it in the form of The Charters Duology, a single ebook containing both this and the sequel (which I'm currently reading).

In the original audio format, the whole of the story was told from the point of view of Nate Charters, a teenager with unusual abilities. The author subsequently added a shorter piece which told the same story from the viewpoint of the adult agent who pursues him. In this ver
Krystal Hammond
Feb 18, 2011 Krystal Hammond rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
Shaun Duke
Apr 20, 2009 Shaun Duke rated it liked it
Brave Men Run is an interesting take on the superhero genre. It follows Nate Charters--an outsider with an unusual appearance and special abilities that he must keep secret--as he deals with the daily trials and tribulations of high school. Then Dr. William Donner appears on the scene, declaring to the world that super-powered humans exist and they are demanding autonomy. Before long, Nate finds himself caught up in a world entering the Sovereign Era and the confusion of learning the truth of wh ...more
Weston Kincade
Aug 29, 2012 Weston Kincade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nate Charters has always been different, but things begin to come together and explain themselves in Brave Men Run. This story is one that certainly surprised me. I began reading/listening to this, thinking it would just be another comic book style story with people having exaggerated abilities etc. I was wrong. Nate and his friends are going through the difficult times normal adolescents have to endure, but in addition they have to deal with the convoluted progress of a world coming to terms wi ...more
Ryan
Jul 09, 2009 Ryan rated it it was amazing
I had a feeling I would like this book, because I'm a big fan of 80s X-Men comics (including the New Mutants stuff), as well as 80s teen movies, and from what I was reading about it online before I read it, it seemed like this would be in kind of the same vein.

It was, which was good, but at the same time, every time I thought one thing was going to happen in the novel, Selznick went in a completely different direction, one that was often more satisfying than what I'd been expecting.

So on the sur
Leszek Rybicki
Aug 12, 2014 Leszek Rybicki rated it it was amazing
Meet Nate Charters, a teenager being picked on for his deformed body. A global event, where the world learns about the existence of super powered individuals, puts Nate in the spotlight and he is faced with choices that are bigger than life.

WARNING: This story will leave you wanting more. Just continue to "Pilgrimage", the second book in the duology.
Gregory
Jul 19, 2014 Gregory rated it really liked it
This is my second time reading "Brave Men Run" (the first time was shortly after the book was released), and I enjoyed it just as much the second time around. I like the premise behind the book, the characters are well developed, and the story is well written. The book is relatively short by today's standards, but it tells the tale at a length that is appropriate - there is no filler, and the story does not feel rushed.
Michael
May 23, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've only read a handful of fiction books in the past few years. Most of the time a novel cannot keep my attention and I end up not finishing it. This was definitely not the case with Matt Selznick's Brave Men Run. In a word, "wow."

It was very well written and full of enough detail to keep me interested without sensory overload. I was not fortunate enough to have caught the podcast edition of this book, so I may go back and check that out.

I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I'll keep my r
Rosanna Morris
Sep 22, 2009 Rosanna Morris rated it really liked it
This is a comfortable book to like; despite the premise of the super hero and comic book genre. It's really much more down to earth than that and reads more as a familiar parable that we all can relate to.
The angsty but very likable teenager in turmoil, feeling he is different as he moves on his own journey of self discovery.....all along with family secrets once hidden and endless obstacles to break through on that journey.
It finds a way to make the whole genre real and familiar for those of u
Ron
Jul 16, 2008 Ron rated it really liked it
Although this story is said to be part “Breakfast Club” and “X-Men”, I think it’s closer to being like the television show “Hereos”. Rather than being introduced to a super character with a total understanding of their abilities, the main character has a lot of questions about himself, family, and others like him. This isn’t the typical story in which the hero is a grown man wearing tights and a cape (by the way, when then the official super hero uniform?). Unlike other super hero stories, this ...more
Chris
Apr 01, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing
Quoting from the book Kubrick was dialed into the teenage psyche of the 80's. This author is also attuned to the teenage psyche of the 80's
A really great book!
Mathew Walls
Nov 19, 2014 Mathew Walls rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook
A bit too YA for my tastes, but not the worst thing I've read. The setting is basically just an X-Men ripoff where mutants are just beginning to show up, but less about super heroes and more just about a small group of teenagers. Also it pretty much feels like half a book, so I'm glad I got the version with the sequel (which picks up right at the end of the first one) included. Not a lot happens through most of this book and the primary antagonist basically just kind of disappears at the end, so ...more
Eric
It's 1985 and teenagers, superheroes, and secret government organizations rule the world. Overall, a pretty good read. But there's a ton of '80s name checking going on here, and that makes me kinda itchy. Kids are listening to Duran Duran, going on dates to see The Breakfast Club, and dressing like Corey Feldman and Madonna. Eek! At least the author threw in a couple of Darby Crash and Raymond Pettibon references. After all, I don't recall the '80s being a single, never-ending John Hughes movie. ...more
Jodi
Aug 16, 2009 Jodi rated it really liked it
Shelves: podcast
I went back and reloaded this onto my I-Pod for a second listen and even though I remember most of the story it just brought back the overwhelming feeling of "dang I love this story!" The way he writes and his voice inflections when reading it really puts you into the land that the book takes place in.
I can't wait to hear more by Matthew and highly recommend his books to anyone who enjoys a good clean feel-good fantasy story.
Scbickle
Feb 17, 2012 Scbickle rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book on Podiobooks. Then I bought the book for my son. Its an amazing piece of work, so evocative of the 1980s its setting, but a truly original story bringing together coming of age with the superhero genre without retreading old ground. Its a page turning adventure story with a plot that keeps you guessing. I'd highly recommend this book as YA or adult fiction.
Maxmax ThatsIt
May 12, 2013 Maxmax ThatsIt rated it really liked it
Its been a while, so the details are lacking, but I just remember having a good feeling about this book. There is an emotional availability in it that was satisfying. It would be a great young adult series book. Brave Men Run is an endearing action/adventure/sci-fi/fantasy/superhero drama that is at once real and compelling and sympathetic.

I just liked it.
Bryan457
Dec 28, 2010 Bryan457 rated it it was ok
Shelves: juv-ya, superhuman
A young man with heightened senses and strength deals with being different. It is the beginning of the sovereign era, a time when people with superhuman abilities have been shown to be living among us. Nate falls in love, discovers the truth about his father and the government agency that is interested in his abilities.
Simon C
Sep 29, 2011 Simon C rated it liked it
John Dodds
Mar 07, 2013 John Dodds rated it really liked it
A truly excellent YA fantasy. A superhero book with a focus on the human drama, Brave Men Run is also a kind of coming-of-age story. I've never come across anything quite like this before. Every bit as good as The Hunger Games, in my view. (Review based on the podcast version).
Stewart Boyles
Jul 06, 2013 Stewart Boyles rated it really liked it
I really liked the podcast. I appreciated the pace at which the story was told. The only thing is that the end was a bit more gruesome than i was prepared for. But I powered through and was treated to a terrific ending. Kind of astounded I didn't listen to this years ago!
Jack
May 12, 2010 Jack rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, fantasy
An awkward teen with a major secret gets nervous when people with extraordinary powers declares himself to the world, and suggests that there are hundreds or thousands more like him. Fun stuff, in the comic-book-story-as-novel subgenre.
Evo Terra
Dec 21, 2008 Evo Terra rated it really liked it
Listened to the fantastic audiobook http://podiobooks.com/title/brave-men... years ago. I think Matt made some modifications when it was picked up by Swarm for print publication, so I'm checking that newer version out with my eyes.
Glen
This was such a great story. The story takes us into the world of the 80's US where "powered people" are starting to to emerge outside of the government's own labs. A great start to what i hope will become a longer series.
Backseat Book Club: Episode 7: Brave Men Run 1 6 Apr 07, 2013 12:01PM
Indie Book Collec...: Help an author with his Kickstarter 1 9 Aug 15, 2012 06:36PM
  • 7th Son: Deceit (7th Son, #2)
  • Playing for Keeps
  • The Case of the Singing Sword
  • Eden
  • Nina Kimberly the Merciless
  • Morevi: The Chronicles of Rafe and Askana (Book 1)
  • Chasing the Bard (Fey #1)
  • Earthcore
  • Murder at Avedon Hill
  • Full Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #3)
  • Max Quick: The Pocket and the Pendant (Max Quick, #1)
Matthew Wayne Selznick is an author and creator living in Long Beach, California.
More about Matthew Wayne Selznick...