Start by marking “Diary of Anna Green Winslow” as Want to Read:
Preview

Diary of Anna Green Winslow

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The diary of a Boston schoolgirl of 1771, edited by Alice Morse Earle
Published by Echo Library (first published 1771)

To ask other readers questions about Diary of Anna Green Winslow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diary of Anna Green Winslow

Lori
A very quick read and very interesting. At times it was a bit stale, Anna's diary which meant everything to her is a bit lacking at times for the reader probably because the people who were important for her mean nothing to us. A great inside look to what was important to this 11 year old New England girl. The Religion, politics and socializing that went on for the times. I did also very much enjoy the old English wording and writing although sometimes I did have up fall back on context clues. A ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Eleven-year-old Anna Green Winslow, from the prominent Winslow family of Massachusetts, was dispatched from Nova Scotia to Boston to be "finished" in 1771. Soon after her arrival and through the spring of 1773, Anna kept a diary of her daily life, advances in sewing and writing and dancing, and social engagements. It's not scintillating, but it is a nice look at the everyday life of a young girl at the birth of the American Revolution. You will learn a lot about the lives of the 18th century wel ...more
Leslie Pauley
I would suggest reading this after visiting the Freedom Trail in Boston so you get a sense of the places and events Anna talks about. It really enriched her diary for me. I can see how coming into reading this without actually being there and being too interested in daily life at the time would make her diary seem trivial and boring.

Also you'll be helping keep the exhibits open if you buy it from the gift shop. ;)
Brenda Pike
This is almost as interesting for the editor's comments, written in 1895, as for Anna's letters, written in 1771.
Karen
Written in 1771, first published in 1894 and reprinted in 1974, this book is understandable to the modern reader, but certainly not easy to read. I does give us a glimpse of what life was like for this young girl, just before the American Revolution. Unfortunately, the diary just ends on May 31.
Dana
This is a must read book it is really cute and awesome really I just cant fors you guys but tri it like it take it no no like it leave it alone on the shelf someone else mite tack it it mite be me and my name is Dana and I am sending this from my iPod touch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
Russell
it is a young girl's diary of her life. So it is about this person did that and that person was here. Yet the life of the times is better learned.
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
T.L. Rese
T.L. Rese marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Renee Wood
Renee Wood marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Mary Deislinger
Mary Deislinger is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2015
K.l.
K.l. marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
christina
christina marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Jacque Summers
Jacque Summers marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Dayna
Dayna marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Linda C
Linda C marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014