It Begins with a Kiss (The Drake's Rakes, #3.5)

It Begins with a Kiss (Drake's Rakes #3.5)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Fiona Ferguson wants nothing more than to flee Miss Lavinia Chase's Finishing School in this short story by Eileen Dreyer, author of the Drake's Rakes series. Rather than the safe haven the girls' families presume it to be, the school is intent on making its charges conform to the rules-by any means necessary. For Fiona, the only thing worse than staying at the dreaded "La...more
Published July 3rd 2012 by Hachette (first published January 1st 2012)

Jess the Romanceaholic
Meh. I'm not certain about this trend of having little prologue novellas for upcoming series. While I enjoyed the characters and the setup, the fact that there is no HEA or any real resolution to any problem presented in this short made me wish that it had simply been included in the beggining of the first book in the series rather than being made into a completely separate work.

I really enjoyed not only Fiona's character, but those of the other girls at the Last Chance Academy, and I can hones...more
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
Oh, now I can see why everyone is pooey. That was VERY short. Okay, I loved it, but geez to have to pay for it, just no. That should have been free, then everyone would have been grateful and rushed out to buy the next part of the book for sure. It was great for a lead in...but to charge, that was a bit mean. It is only about 30 pages long.

Okay, the actual story, well, now I can't wait for the first book. It did have a bit of a cliff-hanger ending, and I'm assuming since the h is only 16 and the...more
Caz
Short and sweet - sort of. I hadn't realised when I added this to my TBR list that it was another of those "trailers" we're starting to get more and more of. It's not a short story or a novella, because it ends on a cliffhanger and so the story isn't complete.

However, as an introduction to Dreyer's next novel, it's certainly done its job, as I really want to read it. The three heroines are all clearly delineated and our first hero, Alex Knight certainly seems as though he's going to be one to si...more
Ellen
Okay so I keep hearing about NetGalley and finally had a look. I signed up and requested this book. Imagine my surprise and utter amazement when I got accepted. Now double that. But seriously I couldn't stop grinning like an idiot for hours.

Onto the actual book.

This is a continuation of Dreyer's Drake's Rakes series and it's just a little e-novella teaser for the next trilogy of the series, which will be the Last Chance trilogy and begin with Once a Rogue next year.

I really liked Pip, Fiona and...more
Melanie
I’m not sure about you, but I love, LOVE Prologues, and this novelette fills this category to a tee in regards to the upcoming new series from Ms. Dreyer.

She cleverly introduces her next three heroines, and the hero of her upcoming full length novel here, and gives me a cliffhanger that made my mouth form an “OH” and “MY’ and “GOD”!

Let me back up a bit and tell you that the characters of all the girls introduced will peak your interest; the setup, of all of them having resided at the Last Chance...more
Jo (My House of Books)
A very short story that ends with a cliffhanger, It Begins with a Kiss, is the midpoint between the ending of the first trilogy featuring Drake's Rakes and the beginning of the second (Once a Rogue will release in 2013).

For all the issues with It Begins with a Kiss -- a short story, cliffhanger -- I thought it was a great taste of what's to come, specifically for Alex Knight, Fiona Ferguson, her sister, Mairead, and Alex's sister, Pippin. This e-novella has everything I've come to expect from t...more
GONZA
As a prologue it's not bad, but as a stand alone story it has no end and this is something that really bothers me, even if I received this as an ARC by Netgalley.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND GRAND CENTRAL PUBLISHING FOR THE PREVIW
My Book Addiction and More MBA
IT BEGINS WITH A KISS by Eileen Dryer is a quick,fun historical romance. Book 3.5 in the "Drake's Rakes"series,but can be read as a stand alone. See,"Barely A Lady","Never A Gentleman",and "Always A Temptress".
It gives a bit of information into the other characters at the "Last Chance Academy". Sparks fly when Alex Knight,spy to the Crown and Fiona Ferguson,a Scottish beauty,who is nothing but trouble. Alex soon findsw passion in the arms of Fiona along with a passionate kiss. "It Begins With A...more
Lisa
Fiona Ferguson is ready to flee her school when she receives word that her sister is missing but she gets caught and is struck with yet another punishment. Her two closest friends help her flee again, this time with a better plan in place. Fionas friend is certain her brother will help Fiona in her search if she would just wait but Fiona can't believe that anyone that recommended this school, a place of disappointment and punishment, would agree to help her--even if her brother did save his life...more
Jenn
Fiona Ferguson, who happens to be Ian's little sister, is away at a special finishing school. It's a place for the women who could be used against the Rake men, or other higher up gentlemen in the military, to safely be away from the enemy. However, the women don't know this for quite some time.

Fiona gets a distressing letter that her twin was taken away from her home and she is in desperate need to go fetch her. Pip Knight is also at this school and she is Alex Knight's sister. She believes Al...more
Morwa Pal

New York Times bestseller Eileen Dreyer has done it again, this time with a sparkling but smaller entry in her popular Regency offerings.

In IT BEGINS WITH A KISS, Dreyer slips us a bon bon of a novella which introduces Fiona Ferguson and her three friends, all students at Miss Chase’s Finishing School in Bath. Or, as the girls dub the cruelly strict place, the Last Chance Academy. But the school is more than it seems; its real purpose is closely guarded, even from the students.
Fiona, labeled ‘in...more
Ruma
Jul 05, 2012 Ruma added it
Well.. I read it and I was Like .... WHAT!?! How?!
the ending, or must I say the begining was weird a bit , especially that I liked-no Loved the characters, Pip, Fee, even Alex.
Let's just say that some writers waste pages and pages trying to explain a situation or emotions or even delima, but! in this novella everything was..THERE!!!
So I really really REALLY am irritated that this was just an intro to a series, I want to know there stories and I want to know them NOW!!!!
ok so I'm overreacting a...more
Farrah
This review also appears on my blog at http://www.thegoldenruleof666.blogspo...

Okay, I'm going to keep this short, since this is a short story.

It Begins with a Kiss was very good. The story was interesting and the ending left me itching with curiosity about what will happen next. Despite the length of the book, the author managed to fit in a surprising amount. I got a full view of each character and even some character growth withing the short story.

Excellent! Now where is the next book...?

5/5

Th...more
Claudine
I loved where this story was going but to end so abruptly the way it did was extremely frustrating. A 16 year old Fiona experiences her first kiss with the older 25 year old brother of her best friend school mate. hummmmm yup still frustrated with this very short, only 32 pages of a 73 page novella but I can't wait to find out what will become of Fiona. She was written with the very promise of becoming a very strong willful young woman and I can't wait to see what havoc she will reap with her ne...more
Phyllis Laatsch
A nice start. A bit rocky and far too short and incomplete. The heroine is obviously still too young, so as a prequel, OK. Too much explaining of the school and no show of how they're going to make the school safe now. But I'm ready for the series!

Just a note about prequel novellas: it needs to be a bit meatier. I think there was more page space devoted to an excerpt from an older book than to this novella.
Lynn Calvin
Well it's Eileen Dreyer, snd it's a nifty little thing. With the emphasis on the word little. Not even a short story, really, so for $1.99 for something that short and a teaser for another book, I am not happy. For a lot of authors I'd have given one star just because I was annoyed, but she does a lot to make me go "Ok, ok, when's the next book!"
It was such a tease! Now, I know that was the whole point of the very very short story, but i wish i had known going in. Plus, the story is only 35 pages long and the rest is excerpts from books I've already read. But it intrigued me enough that I can't wait for their actual book to come out, so i guess it fulfilled it's purpose.
Emily
Fiona Ferguson is desperate to rescue her sister, the timing is right and she enlists her three friends all of which are being treated unfairly at Miss Chase’s Finishing School."

Full review on Single Titles
Roxy
This is listed as book 3.5 in the series. I think the details note this as a 130 something page story, but it was a 40 something page story. The remainder of the book was composed of book previews.
Debra
Interesting enough short story in the Drake's Rakes regency series to make me consider tracking down a whole novel. The story really doesn't stand alone too well, but it gave me a teasing taste.
NINORE
OMG! I was left with my mouth open for the first time! I checked the ebook if I got the full version! it turned out to be a cliff-hunger and an awful one! Honestly...
Carrie
Jun 29, 2012 Carrie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
My only complaint is the this is just an introduction of characters - not a full story - and we have to wait till 2013 to find out what happens with Fiona and Alex.
Linda
Can't wait to read the other books in Eileen's new series after reading this tantalizing peak at the characters. She needs to write faster! LOL!
Diana

Absolutely loved the story of the Three Graces and this novella made me ache for more about Drake's Rakes. :D
Wench
Well THAT was a sudden ending. Holy jumping shit. Please tell me this story line gets picked up again at some point.
Alice
WTF!!! WHY END IT THERE!!!! OMG THAT IS THE WORST CLIFFHANGER I HAVE EVER READ :( LOVED IT THO :)
Carolyn
Very short story. But, what a tease! ;)
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Lost in a Royal Kiss (The Renegade Royals, #0.5)
  • Winning a Bride (Bridal Favors, #2.5)
  • The Perks of Being a Beauty (Ugly Ducklings, #3.5)
  • The Spy Wore Blue (Lord and Lady Spy, #1.5)
  • Once Upon a Ballroom
  • A Scandalous Affair (The Merry Widows #3)
  • Three Schemes and a Scandal (The Writing Girls, #3.5)
  • A Season for Sin (The Sinful Scoundrels #0.5)
  • The Secret Life of Miss Anna Marsh (The Marriage Game, #2)
  • A Gentleman Never Tells (Affairs by Moonlight, #2)
  • The Winter Wife: A Christmas Novella
  • The Wicked One (Scandalous Brides, #0.5)
  • Lady of Pleasure (School of Gallantry #3)
  • Ten Reasons to Stay (School For Heiresses, #2.5)
  • The Duke and His Duchess (Windham, #0.6)
  • Once She Was Tempted (Honeycote, #2)
  • Princess Charming (Legendary Lovers, #1)
  • The Earl with the Secret Tattoo (House of Brady, #1.5)
19012
New York Times bestselling, award-winning author Eileen Dreyer, known as Kathleen Korbel to her Silhouette readers, has published 28 romance novels, 8 medico-forensic suspenses, and 7 short stories.

2012 sees Eileen enjoying critical acclaim for her first foray into historical romance, the Drake's Rakes series, which follow the lives of a group of British aristocrats who are willing to sacrifice ev...more
More about Eileen Dreyer...
Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes, #2) Barely a Lady (The Drake's Rakes, #1) Always a Temptress (The Drake's Rakes #3) Once a Rake (The Drakes Rakes, #4) Head Games