Start by marking “Authenticity” as Want to Read:
Authenticity

Authenticity

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  13 reviews
“A pitch-perfect depiction of the reality of the artistic life.” —The Observer

“Excuse me?” She glanced back over her shoulder. He was looking at her with an expression of utter desolation, such as one rarely saw, an expression that literally stopped her in her tracks.

When painter Roderic Kennedy meets Julia Fitzpatrick, twenty years younger and also an artist, it seems as...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Graywolf Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Authenticity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Authenticity

heidipj
I really enjoyed this book. It's set in Dublin and focuses on the lives of a small cast of characters who are all linked to each other through art and love. The writing is subtle and nothing terribly dramatic happens but it's the characters that draw you in... They're still hanging somewhere in the back of my sub-conscious.

It's probably not everyone's cup of tea as it does move quite slowly and, as some of the characters are artists, it does go on a bit about the nature of art (which I loved)....more
Indu
I really enjoyed the book. It was very interestingly written and explored the creative life and calling through various minds. That thread, as was written in the blurb, was what made me want to read the book initially and I am happy I did.
JodiP
summer61
Great insights into the costs of following one's creative muse and also the costs of not following. Also down-to-earth observations about art-making in general. Well-paced and well-constructed; a psychological page-turner, with interesting jumps back and forth in time. With its focus on art-making, I was fascinated by this book; however, I was mildly disappointed in the ending; it had dramatic effect, but at the cost of relying on broader clichés about artists. This included the Vincent-Theo-lik...more
Sarah Jean
This book is an easy, entertaining, relaxing read. I don't have any strong opinions on the plot, the characters or the style, but I can't think of any particular reason to read or not to read it. If I had one criticism it would be that it all resolves a little too neatly at the end.
Sara Tys
I not quite sure why I liked this book so much; it's so different than what I usually read. I liked diving into the artistic world. Each charcter has their own struggles that correspond and contrast to the others. I loved the way this book was constantly in flashback...at each new chapter you don't know where the author will take you.
MyBookAffair
The joys of reading Deirdre Madden's novel 'Authenticity' were few and far between. The sorry fact is that I did not enjoy reading this book half as much as I had hoped. To read my full review see my blog :
Ann M
I found the nonlinear narrative distracting and annoying, and while the author writes well in places, other large sections are backstory purely told, and boring to read through. There are some good parts and interesting observations, but all in all, a slog I didn't finish.
Daniela
Не особено интересното резюме изобщо не подсказва какво се крие между страниците. Нещо което не очаквах да намеря там, но което дълго ще помня. Великолепно написана книга. Болезнено искрена също.
Zhara
I like the this book but, did not overtake me but, it has its moments. I will keep the book just the same its a good book,but it didn't make a great impression on me.
Brandy Blaylock
I really enjoyed the way Madden portrays the life of an artist; the way if defines your personal relationships.
Tara
Quiet, contemplative novel about the lives of various artists and how they intersect.
Cynthia Townsend
Cynthia Townsend is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2014
Tina Mendicino
Tina Mendicino marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Mary Galvin
Mary Galvin is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2014
Jandy
Jandy marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Diane Calhoun
Diane Calhoun marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Lynne
Lynne marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Steffi
Steffi marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Marie Powell
Marie Powell marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Deirdre Madden is from Toomebridge, County Antrim in Northern Ireland. She was educated at Trinity College, Dublin and at the University of East Anglia. In 1994 she was Writer-in-Residence at University College, Cork and in 1997 was Writer Fellow at Trinity College, Dublin. She has travelled widely in Europe and has spent extended periods of time in both France and Italy.
More about Deirdre Madden...
Molly Fox's Birthday One by One in the Darkness Time Present and Time Past The Birds of the Innocent Wood Hidden Symptons