Authenticity

Authenticity

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  12 reviews
“A pitch-perfect depiction of the reality of the artistic life.” —The Observer

“Excuse me?” She glanced back over her shoulder. He was looking at her with an expression of utter desolation, such as one rarely saw, an expression that literally stopped her in her tracks.

When painter Roderic Kennedy meets Julia Fitzpatrick, twenty years younger and also an artist, it seems as...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Graywolf Press (first published 2002)

heidipj
I really enjoyed this book. It's set in Dublin and focuses on the lives of a small cast of characters who are all linked to each other through art and love. The writing is subtle and nothing terribly dramatic happens but it's the characters that draw you in... They're still hanging somewhere in the back of my sub-conscious.

It's probably not everyone's cup of tea as it does move quite slowly and, as some of the characters are artists, it does go on a bit about the nature of art (which I loved)....more
Indu
I really enjoyed the book. It was very interestingly written and explored the creative life and calling through various minds. That thread, as was written in the blurb, was what made me want to read the book initially and I am happy I did.
JodiP
summer61
Great insights into the costs of following one's creative muse and also the costs of not following. Also down-to-earth observations about art-making in general. Well-paced and well-constructed; a psychological page-turner, with interesting jumps back and forth in time. With its focus on art-making, I was fascinated by this book; however, I was mildly disappointed in the ending; it had dramatic effect, but at the cost of relying on broader clichés about artists. This included the Vincent-Theo-lik...more
Sara Tys
I not quite sure why I liked this book so much; it's so different than what I usually read. I liked diving into the artistic world. Each charcter has their own struggles that correspond and contrast to the others. I loved the way this book was constantly in flashback...at each new chapter you don't know where the author will take you.
MyBookAffair
The joys of reading Deirdre Madden's novel 'Authenticity' were few and far between. The sorry fact is that I did not enjoy reading this book half as much as I had hoped. To read my full review see my blog :
Ann M
I found the nonlinear narrative distracting and annoying, and while the author writes well in places, other large sections are backstory purely told, and boring to read through. There are some good parts and interesting observations, but all in all, a slog I didn't finish.
Daniela
Не особено интересното резюме изобщо не подсказва какво се крие между страниците. Нещо което не очаквах да намеря там, но което дълго ще помня. Великолепно написана книга. Болезнено искрена също.
Zhara
I like the this book but, did not overtake me but, it has its moments. I will keep the book just the same its a good book,but it didn't make a great impression on me.
Brandy Blaylock
I really enjoyed the way Madden portrays the life of an artist; the way if defines your personal relationships.
Tara
Quiet, contemplative novel about the lives of various artists and how they intersect.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Aidan Watson-Morris
Aidan Watson-Morris marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Sarah Jean
Sarah Jean is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2014
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Tesi
Tesi marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Feb 10, 2014
Zazie
Zazie is currently reading it
Oct 28, 2013
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Deirdre Madden is from Toomebridge, County Antrim in Northern Ireland. She was educated at Trinity College, Dublin and at the University of East Anglia. In 1994 she was Writer-in-Residence at University College, Cork and in 1997 was Writer Fellow at Trinity College, Dublin. She has travelled widely in Europe and has spent extended periods of time in both France and Italy.
More about Deirdre Madden...
Molly Fox's Birthday One by One in the Darkness Time Present and Time Past The Birds of the Innocent Wood Hidden Symptons