Start by marking “Larva, Babel pour une nuit de la Saint-Jean” as Want to Read:
Larva, Babel pour une nuit de la Saint-Jean

Larva, Babel pour une nuit de la Saint-Jean

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Avec Larva, Babel pour une nuit de la Saint-Jean, il s’agit, à coup sûr, de l’opus magnum de Julián Ríos, né en Galice en 1941. Il compte la bagatelle de 600 pages et propose cinq niveaux d’approche. Au moyen de cette structure éclatée le livre raconte, à travers le Londres de ces dernières années, les experditions de deux amants se prenant pour des personnages de romans e ...more
Published March 16th 1995 by Jose Corti (first published November 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Larva, Babel pour une nuit de la Saint-Jean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Larva, Babel pour une nuit de la Saint-Jean

MJ Nicholls
Jan 06, 2016 MJ Nicholls rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scribble Orca
The most pun-drunk of the pun-drunk novels. A novel with a toxic volume of Joyce in its bloodstream, laughing on its trip to the intensive care ward to have further puns pumped from its stomach. A brutal attack on the conventions of reading—its verso ‘footnotes’ and later-page ‘endnotes’—perform the same warping as in Jacques Roubaud’s Great Fire of London novels. A feast for fans of multilingual punnage from heaven. Simply sublime, sublime, sublime. Simply.
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Yes. I do wonder sometimes Why I do this to myself. UnreadaBABEL. A Larva’s Midslumber Knot’s Blather.

Most of what is probably useful to be said about Larva has been said by me in Poundemonium which is Book Two of Five, Larva equals Book One. Pound is good warm-up ground ; Larva is larger and therefore better. But its set-up is pretty much the same as that of Pound -- text in three places plus a map, photos, etc. Brilliant. Nabokov got a pale approach with his fire.

So this is what I don’t get
Anthony Vacca
Jan 20, 2016 Anthony Vacca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Slanguage Lovers
Recommended to Anthony by: MJ Nicholls
About as coherent as an orgy, this novel is a sensual overload of languages. Bilingual puns and deviously constructed portmanteaus abound on every page like so many entangled limbs, sweat and various other fragrant excretions. In a nutshell, this novel retells the Don Juan story recasted in London during the late 20th century and with the entirety of the "action" being a wild masquerade where our hero, Milalias--masked, mostly, as Don Juan--endlessly seeks our heroine, Babelle--disguised, usuall ...more
Chris Amies
Mar 10, 2013 Chris Amies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Big-time textuality
This book is called LARVA: Midsummer Night’s Babel, and it’s by Julian Rios. And boy is it weird. The text itself is on right-hand pages only, with footnotes (so to speak) on the left hand pages. The text and notes bounce around through several languages - English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Russian - making crossborderal and crossreferencing puns to severely disrail what essentially is a "Don Juan in London" story. I am not sure what the value or use of this is, but wh
Tony Gualtieri
Feb 03, 2012 Tony Gualtieri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wild linguistic ride. Reminiscent of Joyce with inventive puns and other wordplay overwhelming a story of a modern Don Juan in London. Really there's not much story and with the footnotes and other distractions, that's just fine. It's a book that is more about the path than the destination. Enjoy it for its surface and its fantastic picture of London.
Maryann
Aug 15, 2015 Maryann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001
Some books are written to tell an amazing story. Some books are written to paint amazing pictures with their prose. Some books are written to show off with word play and make the reader's brain work hard. This last group is my least favorite kind, and Larva is a perfect example. I should have taken it as a warning that one of the critics said it was inspired by Finnegan's Wake.

The story (and I use that term loosely) is about a masquerade party in an abandoned mansion in London. A Don Juan chara
Robert
Jul 25, 2012 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

In no way can I read a novel like this once - for it to truly be appreciated , Larva has to be read at least two dozen times. Saying that this is a linguistic feast , especially if you like puns. Think of it as one long exercise in punnage. A dazzling addictive novel
Mitch
Jan 10, 2009 Mitch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was wonderful. It's a mad story with mad language and mad structure. I'm sure Shandy was handy. And fine, again, Finnegan too, "again" because it's obvious. But Shandy's handiness too.

Obviously, I'm not as good as Rios. Heh.
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Adam Lowy
Adam Lowy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Mau
Mau marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
ArtichokeHeart
ArtichokeHeart marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Konrad
Konrad marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Anna Fennell
Anna Fennell marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Faisal
Faisal marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Todor
Todor marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
katie
katie marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Nicholas Lecchi
Nicholas Lecchi marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Gsm235
Gsm235 added it
Jun 19, 2016
Dom
Dom marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Rhiannon Burrell
Rhiannon Burrell marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Valérie KC
Valérie KC marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Jose Alvarez
Jose Alvarez marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Parf
Parf marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Lukas
Lukas marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
  • Omega Minor
  • The Commandant
  • Una comedia ligera
  • Los pazos de Ulloa
Julián Ríos (born Vigo, Galicia, 1941) is a Spanish writer, most frequently classified as a postmodernist, whom Mexican novelist Carlos Fuentes has called "the most inventive and creative" of Spanish-language writers. His first two books were written à deux with Octavio Paz.

His best known work, experimental and heavily influenced by the verbal inventiveness of James Joyce, was published in 1983 un
More about Julián Ríos...