Start by marking “Liberation: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Liberation: A Novel

Liberation: A Novel

"Deeply moving. . . . Joanna Scott brilliantly captures war as seen through the innocence of a child." -Bookpage

Adriana Nardi is only 10 years old when Allied forces occupy her lush island home during World War II, plaguing the quiet Italian village with violence and uncertainty. Amdu is a Senegalese soldier who abandons his comrades and befriends Adriana after witnessing
Published February 25th 2008 by Back Bay Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Liberation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liberation

Amanda
Mar 27, 2009 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Book #7 of 2009
I did not like this book much. I borrowed it because most of it is set on the island of Elba. I remember Elba being a magical place where I spent a weekend the summer I stayed in Italy. The book though, was rather dull. The perspective switched between Adriana Nardi, 10 years old - almost 11 - at the time of the Liberation of Elba, her mother Guila, her uncle Mario, a Senglenese soldier Amdu Diop who Adriana and Guila nurse back to health after he develops a fever, and Mrs. Rundel
Lisa
Oct 10, 2013 Lisa rated it it was ok
I wanted more. Relatively nice writing- not too surface level, not too flowery. The characters were clear and interesting, but not nearly as full as I would have liked them to be. I rarely felt I was getting the meat of the story. Even so, the way humanity met imagination carried me through to the end. Oh, to be a 10 year old girl again.
Cindy
Mar 11, 2009 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by a Brighton author which was fun. Narrative switched from a young girl's perspective during the liberation of Elba durng WWII by Sengelese soldiers, to that same girl many years later. Slow at times, but worth the read.
barbara hinderer
Mar 05, 2014 barbara hinderer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really hard to get into and not a very capturing storyline. Good writing, but needs more story development.
Fergie
Feb 15, 2011 Fergie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A decent read that takes the reader between the past (specifically WWII Italy as the island of Elba is liberated by French Colonials) and present day America. A quick, easy read.
Danielle
Feb 17, 2009 Danielle rated it it was ok
A little difficult to read in parts. One entirely unexpected and undeveloped narrative voice. Just okay.
Lewis Weinstein
Nice premise; threads of story between WWII and 60 years later not tied as powerfully as they might have been.
Karly
Karly rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Drama Sylum
Drama Sylum rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Saskia
Saskia rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Jack
Jack rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2009
Caroline Kelly
Caroline Kelly rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2015
Maggie
Maggie rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2014
Cori
Cori rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2012
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Beckie
Beckie rated it liked it
May 31, 2015
Susan
Jun 23, 2012 Susan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Colchester Library Book Sale June 2012
Lisa
Aug 16, 2015 Lisa marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I didn't care for the long rambling sentences so I abandoned it.
Toni
Toni rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Valorie Hallinan
Valorie Hallinan rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Alex Wayong
Alex Wayong rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2011
April Johnson
April Johnson rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2012
Dane Agno
Dane Agno rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2014
Dimitri
Dimitri rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2007
Tanya K
Tanya K rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2010
Loree Sichelstiel
Loree Sichelstiel rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2009
Beth G
Beth G rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it did not like it
Feb 10, 2012
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2009
from the backcover:
Joanna Scott is an Assistant Professor of English at the University of Rochester. She has also taught in the creative writing programs at Princeton University and the University of Maryland. She was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship during the writing of Arrogance.
More about Joanna Scott...