Start by marking “Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses” as Want to Read:

Published August 6th 2007 by Writers Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about Write Is a Verb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Write Is a Verb

Kimberly [Come Hither Books]
This writing book takes a different slant from most. Written by a psychotherapist, it focuses on concrete actions to form productive writing habits, and cut out habits that aren't working. Though the style was a bit too pop psychology for me, applying behavioral modification to writing isn't something I've seen done so directly before, and was useful. The insight into publishers was helpful as well.
Chris Blocker
Jan 19, 2009 Chris Blocker rated it really liked it

An aspiring author, a publisher, and a psychotherapist walk into a writer's convention together...

I tend to be attracted to books written for writers by those in the mental health field. These people know what they're talking about. Take for instance Dr. Linda Edelstein's Writer's Guide to Character Traits. Who better to identify the inner workings of my characters than someone who has been in their heads for over 20 years? Likewise, who better to understand my woes of writing than a therapist w

Mark Hennion
Mar 07, 2015 Mark Hennion rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to-write
Bill O'Hanlon aspires for a noble goal: to get writes of all stripes writing. This book --this entire book-- focuses entirely on that. Unlike so many other how-to's, O'Hanlon continually focuses on cementing his theory that anybody can find SOME time, somehow. He then gives an entire book to finding that time and motivating that somebody.

I must digress, the book does feel mostly aimed at non-fiction authors. Much of the sales, presentation, and proposal chapters are geared towards the sale of no
Manda Rae
Jan 03, 2012 Manda Rae is currently reading it
Shelves: books-i-own
so far i love this book. It helps motivate me. i've never known what i wanted to do when i grew up.. i've kinda been avoiding it.. But i remeber what i was always good at reading and writing. I just got this book last night scaning the $1 books at the dollar tree there it was looking back at me like this could be a part of your future.
Pamela
Jan 03, 2009 Pamela rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Would be writers and other artists
Got excuses? Get this book! Even if it's not your dream to write, but rather to start and (most importantly) complete some art form, this book can serve as a 'coach' to help you achieve your goals. That said, there really isn't anything in here that is unique or new --- you've heard it all before, but O'Hanlon has an infectious way of getting into your head and helping you understand your own procrastinating and sabotaging ways. The charts and check-lists can be helpful, as long as you use them. ...more
Michelle McBeth
Sep 20, 2014 Michelle McBeth rated it really liked it
I love O'Hanlon's book, Do One Thing Different, and his philosophy that the best solutions are the simplest ones. Again, this is the premise of Write is a Verb. He gives many simple ideas of what writers or soon to be writers can do to get themselves writing. But he takes the writing process one step further. He talks about the inside scoop on getting published. There are many things in this book that you don't see elsewhere such as establishing a platform. I've never heard this concept before a ...more
Ice
May 10, 2011 Ice rated it it was ok
Shelves: reference
Mar 03, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This was an outstanding book for those who want to write, but are having a hard time getting motivated to do just that. Bill O'Hanlon discusses the energies that are needed behind writing. He also covers the importance of having a platform for your writing and how a bigger platform can help you get published easier. He shares with the reader not only his input on writing, but what it takes to get started and how the publishing industry works. Bill tells of his painful start into writing and how ...more
Katrina
Jul 08, 2011 Katrina rated it liked it
This book has some interesting ideas and even though I've heard them all before something about the way he says them makes them seem more effective. I read this in an afternoon, and I enjoyed it.

That being said, if you're going to talk multiple times about hating typos make sure your book doesn't have any. The multiple typos and sentences missing words entirely drove me up a wall and made him seem less credible.

I would definitely suggest it to others, though. Maybe people who aren't as nit-picky
Katherine Clark
Mar 27, 2015 Katherine Clark rated it really liked it
This is more of a 4 and 1/3 or 4 and 3/4. It is a wonderful book, and I love it. It isn't as great to me as Bird by Bird, but it is close, and maybe, just might be, more practical. It is an especially good book for people like me with writing anxiety. It also does a nice job of laying out the publishing world. I have more questions for my professional writer friends and a greater sense of encouragement. I highly recommend this book. (It has exercises and a dvd.)
Kim
Nov 09, 2007 Kim rated it liked it
If you've read other writer-motivational books, you won't find anything earth-shattering in this one. Still O'Hanlon's advice is solid, and his voice is engaging. The book is a quick read, packing a lot of motivation into relatively few pages. The DVD, which includes footage from O'Hanlon's presentations and several printable worksheets, is a nice bonus.
Heidi
May 14, 2010 Heidi rated it liked it
A pop psychology book for would-be writers who suffer from blocks, fears and procrastination-itis. Didn't move the needle much for me, but there were a couple of good points buried amidst the Oprah-babble.
Mark Hiser
Jun 12, 2011 Mark Hiser rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
Though the book offers practical, concrete strategies for motivating oneself to write, often th examples began to read like padding. I would probably give the book a higher recommendation if it had been condensed.
Riki
Feb 03, 2012 Riki rated it liked it
I loved that this book was written by a mental health professional and enjoyed his no-nonsense advice for getting your butt in the chair to do some actual writing. I also enjoyed the examples of former students of his to illustrate his points. Great book.
B.J. Kurtz
Nov 13, 2011 B.J. Kurtz rated it really liked it
Loved this book. It gave some great insight into the things that can keep me from writing. It also provided nice strategies to overcome these barriers. It has some things that relate more to non-fiction writing, but it is a must read for those wanting to make writing a bigger part of their life!
Emily Cook
Oct 29, 2014 Emily Cook rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Nice overview of the writing process; fresh encouragement for the writer; filled with ideas for organizing and just writing!
Joseph
Jul 21, 2011 Joseph rated it liked it
Clever and insightful. I liked it.
Ian
Mar 18, 2010 Ian rated it liked it
This was okay. As a wanna be writer it didn't really tell me anything new. Basically if you don't actually write you ain't gonna get anywhere.

Well yep. That is true.
Elizabeth
Dec 28, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
How to start writing...just do it! Bill O'Hanlon is a great coach.
Julie
Oct 18, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Most of this book was repeating the idea of: if you want to write, just write already! Maybe people would find that tedious, but it seemed to be what I needed.
Richard Stephenson
Mar 27, 2011 Richard Stephenson rated it liked it
Short, well written, fun, and structured such that the good tid-bits could be had relatively easily.
Diana
Diana rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2009
Tim Suddeth
Tim Suddeth rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2013
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2012
Trish
Trish rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2013
Angelica Gibson
Angelica Gibson rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2017
Maria Berg
Maria Berg rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2016
Alan
Alan rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2012
Thedoughill
Thedoughill rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • 101 Habits of Highly Successful Novelists: Insider Secrets from Top Writers
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • The Writer's Book of Hope: Getting from Frustration to Publication
  • The Breakout Novelist: Craft and Strategies for Career Fiction Writers
  • Writers on Writing, Volume II: More Collected Essays from The New York Times
  • The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life
  • Alone With All That Could Happen: Rethinking Conventional Wisdom about the Craft of Fiction
  • Breathing Life into Your Characters
  • Writing Alone and with Others
  • The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations To Cultivate A Productive And Meaningful Writing Life
  • Your First Novel: A Published Author and a Top Agent Share the Keys to Achieving Your Dream
  • The Power of Point of View: Make Your Story Come to Life
  • Description & Setting
  • On Writing Horror: A Handbook by the Horror Writers Association
Bill O'Hanlon, M.S., is psychotherapist, author, and speaker.

Librarian note:
Some books and editions are published under the full name of William Hudson O'Hanlon
More about Bill O'Hanlon...