Alle meine Freunde sind tot

Alle meine Freunde sind tot (All my friends... #1)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  12,378 ratings  ·  773 reviews
Haben Sie sich jemals gefragt, von welchen existentiellen Ängsten Clowns, Kassetten, Dinosaurier, Zombies, Schneemänner und Zimmerpflanzen geplagt werden? Und wie sie reagieren, wenn sie sich dem Unvermeidlichen stellen?

Finden Sie es jetzt heraus!
Published November 16th 2012 by Bastei Lübbe (first published June 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Alle meine Freunde sind tot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alle meine Freunde sind tot

karen
david sent me an awesome birthday box, and this book was inside, ready to make me laugh at the misfortunes of dinosaurs, snowmen, and cassette tapes.

oh, and also, me:

however, the really poignant thing about this book is that there was a small fire at the store on sunday, and the water from the putting out of the fire leaked down to the ground floor, onto the table where this book was featured. so guess what?? all this book's friends are indeed dead - drowned and waterlogged and swollen with nast...more
Dylan
A dinosaur says all it's friends are dead. Then a baker says all his friends are bread. Then a zombie says all his friends are undead. I'm surprised they missed so many other hilarious opportunities. How about a pencil saying all it's friends are lead? Or what about a tired guy saying all my friends are beds? You could have a native saying all my friends are red. Or even Colonel Kurtz, sitting on a throne of decapitated bodies, saying all my friends are heads.

Sometimes this book will mix up the...more
D. Pow
The vagaries of the reading life are a funny thing. Sometimes you’ll blow a big wad of cash for a hardback and the thing will suck raw eggs. Sometimes you pay a buck or less at some Library book sale or garage sale and discover an absolute treasure that stays with you for the rest of your days(My favorite example is The Collected Poems of Philip Levine, a just a criminal inversion of cost vs. worth-which I paid a buck for over 15 years ago and have read with great joy over and over again). A var...more
Petergiaquinta
I know, I know...only one measly star to classics like A Farewell to Arms, The Bell Jar, and A Separate Peace, and just three stars to The Waste Land?

And now this?!?

Don't try and shame me. I feel bad enough about it already.

Some times I think I'd like to live forever...

But just look at this sad dinosaur...all his friends are dead.
And no one even calls him a "Brontosaurus" anymore.

And what about this old guy?

Maybe he reminds you of the old poet of Sonnet 30 who laments
"precious friends hid in de...more
Emma Sea
I've always regretted that when I had a baby I wasn't clever enough to think of teaching her humorously inappropriate knowledge, like the baby who knows dead American presidents. I like to blame sleep deprivation for my lack of iniative, but mostly it was because I had a baby so young I was still in monkey-mind. I didn't become actually conscious till I was about 28, by which time it was far too late.

I would almost have another baby just to raise them on this book. A time machine would be prefer...more
Philip
I kept seeing this book everywhere for the past couple years. It was all over goodreads for a while. And it's prominently displayed in my favorite bookstore. But our library doesn't have a copy, and I don't have 10 bucks at the moment. (Technically, any moment...)

And this isn't a dig on my library: I love the place. Is it weird that I asked for this book on inter-library loan? That's something you do for academic books - not for books like this, right?

But I did. And it was totally worth it. In f...more
Corey
While my friends and I were waiting in line for over two hours to get into an event (we had planned on waiting one hour but forgot the time change as we went west) the undeniable urge to relieve myself from hours of driving and drinking energy drinks finally caught up to me. The problem was that I had to decide between sneaking down an alley and committing a crime or finding a store that would let a stranger use the bathroom.

About a block from where we were waiting there was a small independent...more
Ginger
One word...hilarious. NOT a childrens book.
Lisa Vegan
These are cartoon frames that make up a loosely put together story. Many of the cartoons are funny, wickedly funny, and a few are hilarious. The story does come together in a satisfying way. Very amusing with some rather somber parts too, depending on the readers’ outlook. This is a small, slight $10 hardcover mini book, a bit too expensive for what it is, and that’s a shame because I’m thinking of a few not yet dead friends who might like it. I think I’ll suggest they do what I did: borrow it f...more
Chamera
So, occasionally you pick up a book that unexpectedly make you happy. For me, and even my sister, today this was that book. Books were not in our agenda for the day, especially not books that look as if they are geared towards children. However, All My Friends are Dead was a quirky, funny book that actually had a lot of truth embedded in it. But first the story of how I came across this book.

Today was the last day of the Artscape, an annual 3 day arts and crafts festival set in my hometown, the...more
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
This book really made my day. It brought a smile to my face and a warmth to my heart. It's all about death featuring dinosaurs, an old guy, the grim reaper, flies, expired milk, chickens getting Kentucky Fried, trees getting chopped down etc.

I checked this book out from the library and read it while I walked across the street to my apartment. It made me feel so accomplished to finish a whole book so quickly, even if it does have really big words (I mean big in size, not complexity or length) an...more
Monica!
I feel a little ridiculous giving this book four stars, which is more stars than I routinely give, you know, legitimate books with more than fifteen words... but it made me laugh, and that pretty much automatically guarantees a decent rating.

The "story" features the slow, bug-eyed demise of various people and things, including a potted plant ("Please stop buying my friends if you are just going to slowly kill them"), a fruit fly ("All my friends will be dead within 24 hours") and a tree ("Hey th...more
Anastasia Løgstrup Riebs
This little tome is quite possibly The Best Book Ever.

Yes, it could be said that its a tad bit morbid, but that's how we play at my house. Build yourself a blanket fort and share a plate of cookies with someone you love (unless everyone you know is dead) and enjoy this great book, together. I promise you'll laugh 'till you cry... or pee your pants, whichever comes first.

Melody
Hilarious. Brilliant. Little incisive cartoons that had me guffawing in the bookstore and wishing I had a million dollars so I could by a copy for each and every one of my not-dead friends.
Florencia
This is a funny book about people with no friends because of several reasons: meteors, age, lonely jobs, Internet, death.

I felt sorry for all the characters but especially for this tree. I mean, look at it, a lonely piece of wood whose only companion is a bunch of indifferent leaves. Not even birds' nests. He turned into a coffee table and, surrounded by hundreds of objects in some house, still had no friends.

description

It seems when you're desperate to connect with people, you become some sort of friend r...more
Flora
Ok, I appreciate this may not sound like the funniest book in the world.
However, I like it, in much the same way as I like The Christmas Pox (a novel, rather than an unpleasant seasonal rash that I get).
All My Friends Are Dead is basically a perspective on who our friends are, what they really think of us, and how many of them are left at any given time.
I probably find it funny because I`m a "bit" grumpy occasionally, and this kind of fits with my humour. I like zombie films a lot too.
I particul...more
Annet
Came across this little book in City Lights bookstore in San Fran. My eye caught several people browsing through this little cartoonisty book looking like a kids book and seeing all the people grinning, chuckling... I picked it up and found myself laughing too. It's not for kids, it's sort of tragi comic, about the passing of things, but pretty damn funny, cute. The tree and the end table story is LOL funny, the meaning of having many Facebook friends sharply observed... I am gonna put this book...more
Nicole
This is a picture book about many different people, animals, objects, and even plants that come to the realization that everybody dies. The story doesn't follow the same characters throughout, but it jumps around to different people. For example the book opens with a dinosaur whose friends have all died from extinction. There is also a purse who complains that her friends are 'soooo last season.' This story has a humorous view on how everybody will eventually be gone when their time comes.

Since...more
Deb
Hilarious! Takes about a minute to read. It is a funny look at mortality in a twisted sort of way. I love the two pages with the Grim Reaper. LOL!!

Note: This was a book that I received as a bookring through
Bookcrossing.com

Jen
This book is hilarious! I picked it up at a small bookstore while on vacation and couldn't stop laughing while leafing thru it. Needless to say, I had to purchase it and share with anyone who would stop and listen. I can't wait to find "All my friends are still dead"
Meaghan
An example of a rare and captivating species, the adult picture book. It'll definitely make you chuckle (in a sad way). And the ending put into words the kind of thoughts I've been pondering for years.
Katherine
All their friends are dead. Bobišci.

... Hehe.
Nisha
Short, humorous book. I liked it.
Geoffrey Gauchet
A modern-day classic in the making.
Jacobmartin
This book was fantastic, I did not the ending coming.

You know from the front cover, emblazoned with the utterly vacant stare of the dinosaur who has lost all hope - that you have in your hands an interesting read.

The book has a multiple readings value, which is more than what could be said for a lot of quirky humour books in a similar vein to this like Stuff White People Like. I enjoyed this more times than Stuff White People Like and How To Survive A Horror Movie. It was also more enjoyable tha...more
Eden
All My Friends Are Dead’s strength is in its main theme. “All my friends are dead” is followed by “All my friends are bread” (a baker), “All my friends are hoaxes” (a yeti) and “All my friends are obsolete” (a cassette tape). It’s this sharing of woe which delivers the humour; misery loves company, after all. And the creative deviations on the theme are what keep the reader going.

However, when the book leaves the theme entirely, it loses its charm. For example, after the tree proclaims all his f...more
Maggie
I saw the ten page gif on Tumblr and I had to read the book. The book itself is a short two minute read, but those two minutes are hilariously well-spent. The back cover says "All My Friends Are Dead is both the saddest funny book and the funniest sad book you'll ever read", and it's right. Every page features a line detailing the tragedies of life, from death (a chicken: All my friends are Kentucky fried) to loneliness (a sock: My only friend has recently gone missing), and other plain funny on...more
Kerris

• Go the Fuck to Sleep
  • T-Rex Trying
  • Passive Aggressive Notes: Painfully Polite and Hilariously Hostile Writings
  • xkcd: volume 0
  • I am a Pole (And So Can You!)
1977411
Avery Monsen is an actor, artist, and writer who lives in New York. Right now — whenever you're reading this — he's probably eating cereal.
More about Avery Monsen...
All My Friends Are Still Dead K is for Knifeball: An Alphabet of Terrible Advice I Feel Relatively Neutral About New York Pirate's Log: A Handbook for Aspiring Swashbucklers All My Friends are Dead 2014 Wall Calendar

“Sometimes I feel alone. Some days are long and hard. But when I look out into this world, I am struck by the impossible beauty of it all. Those billions of magnificent accidents that led us to where we are today, that led us to paper planes and nautilus shells and the tiny, crooked smiles of children. When I think about the small perfections of the world, I have faith that my time will come. I have faith that someday, a warm light will flood over me and I will find peace.” 24 likes
“Sometimes I feel alone. Some days are long and hard. But when I look out into the world, I am struck by the impossible beauty of it all. Those billions of magnificent accidents that led us to where we are today, that led us to paper planes and nautilus shells and the tiny, crooked smiles of children. When I think about all the small perfections of the world, I have faith that my time will come. I have faith that someday, a warm light will flood over me and I will find peace.” 0 likes