Start by marking “Alle meine Freunde sind tot” as Want to Read:
Alle meine Freunde sind tot

Alle meine Freunde sind tot (All my friends... #1)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  18,063 Ratings  ·  1,032 Reviews
Haben Sie sich jemals gefragt, von welchen existentiellen Ängsten Clowns, Kassetten, Dinosaurier, Zombies, Schneemänner und Zimmerpflanzen geplagt werden? Und wie sie reagieren, wenn sie sich dem Unvermeidlichen stellen?

Finden Sie es jetzt heraus!
Published November 16th 2012 by Bastei Lübbe (first published June 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Alle meine Freunde sind tot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alle meine Freunde sind tot

karen
Aug 24, 2010 karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-laughter
david sent me an awesome birthday box, and this book was inside, ready to make me laugh at the misfortunes of dinosaurs, snowmen, and cassette tapes.

oh, and also, me:

however, the really poignant thing about this book is that there was a small fire at the store on sunday, and the water from the putting out of the fire leaked down to the ground floor, onto the table where this book was featured. so guess what?? all this book's friends are indeed dead - drowned and waterlogged and swollen with nast
Dylan
Mar 03, 2011 Dylan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A dinosaur says all it's friends are dead. Then a baker says all his friends are bread. Then a zombie says all his friends are undead. I'm surprised they missed so many other hilarious opportunities. How about a pencil saying all it's friends are lead? Or what about a tired guy saying all my friends are beds? You could have a native saying all my friends are red. Or even Colonel Kurtz, sitting on a throne of decapitated bodies, saying all my friends are heads.

Sometimes this book will mix up the
D. Pow
Jul 07, 2010 D. Pow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The vagaries of the reading life are a funny thing. Sometimes you’ll blow a big wad of cash for a hardback and the thing will suck raw eggs. Sometimes you pay a buck or less at some Library book sale or garage sale and discover an absolute treasure that stays with you for the rest of your days(My favorite example is The Collected Poems of Philip Levine, a just a criminal inversion of cost vs. worth-which I paid a buck for over 15 years ago and have read with great joy over and over again). A var ...more
Forrest
Jan 21, 2015 Forrest rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter asked for this for her 21st birthday. Of course, I peeked . . . okay, I'm lying, I read the entire thing in about 10 minutes. This is, in essence, a book for existential children . . . or child existentialists . . . or cynical adults who don't like to read but like grim humor in the form of a children's book. If Sartre had had children (did he? I don't know, but I suspect not), he would have read this to them at bedtime every night. Because any night could be your last . . .

PS: I li
Anya
May 19, 2016 Anya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sometimes I feel alone. Some days are long and hard. But when I look out into the world, I am struck by the impossible beauty of it all. Those billions of magnificent accidents that led us to where we are today, that led us to paper planes and nautilus shells and the tiny, crooked smiles of children. When I think about all the small perfections of the world, I have faith that my time will come. I have faith that someday, a warm light will flood over me and I will find peace."
Petergiaquinta
Feb 15, 2014 Petergiaquinta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know, I know...only one measly star to classics like A Farewell to Arms, The Bell Jar, and A Separate Peace, and just three stars to The Waste Land?

And now this?!?

Don't try and shame me. I feel bad enough about it already.

Some times I think I'd like to live forever...

But just look at this sad dinosaur...all his friends are dead.
And no one even calls him a "Brontosaurus" anymore.

And what about this old guy?

Maybe he reminds you of the old poet of Sonnet 30 who laments
"precious friends hid in de
Florencia
This is a funny book about people with no friends because of several reasons: meteors, age, lonely jobs, Internet, death.

I felt sorry for all the characters but especially for this tree. I mean, look at it, a lonely piece of wood whose only companion is a bunch of indifferent leaves. Not even birds' nests. He turned into a coffee table and, surrounded by hundreds of objects in some house, still had no friends.

description

It seems when you're desperate to connect with people, you become some sort of friend r
Anastasia Riebs
This little tome is quite possibly The Best Book Ever.

Yes, it could be said that its a tad bit morbid, but that's how we play at my house. Build yourself a blanket fort and share a plate of cookies with someone you love (unless everyone you know is dead) and enjoy this great book, together. I promise you'll laugh 'till you cry... or pee your pants, whichever comes first.

Emma Sea
Jul 31, 2012 Emma Sea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always regretted that when I had a baby I wasn't clever enough to think of teaching her humorously inappropriate knowledge, like the baby who knows dead American presidents. I like to blame sleep deprivation for my lack of iniative, but mostly it was because I had a baby so young I was still in monkey-mind. I didn't become actually conscious till I was about 28, by which time it was far too late.

I would almost have another baby just to raise them on this book. A time machine would be prefer
Yonaily

Este corto libro me ha dejado con una tonta sonrisa en mi rostro y, aunque no suelo leer historias para niños, me alegro de haberle dado una oportunidad a ésta, porque resultó en una amena lectura. Divertido y placentero, All My Friends Are Dead es uno de esos libros que de alguna manera te hacen sentir bien cuando estás triste. Me he reído a carcajadas leyéndolo. He disfrutado mucho con sus noventa y séis páginas. Y también he obtenido un bonito mensaje y reflexión.

When I think about the sm
Corey
Nov 12, 2012 Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While my friends and I were waiting in line for over two hours to get into an event (we had planned on waiting one hour but forgot the time change as we went west) the undeniable urge to relieve myself from hours of driving and drinking energy drinks finally caught up to me. The problem was that I had to decide between sneaking down an alley and committing a crime or finding a store that would let a stranger use the bathroom.

About a block from where we were waiting there was a small independent
Lisa Vegan
These are cartoon frames that make up a loosely put together story. Many of the cartoons are funny, wickedly funny, and a few are hilarious. The story does come together in a satisfying way. Very amusing with some rather somber parts too, depending on the readers’ outlook. This is a small, slight $10 hardcover mini book, a bit too expensive for what it is, and that’s a shame because I’m thinking of a few not yet dead friends who might like it. I think I’ll suggest they do what I did: borrow it f ...more
Ginger
Aug 15, 2011 Ginger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One word...hilarious. NOT a childrens book.
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I was reading some reviews of this tiny booklet and was quite surprised about the strong emotions it was causing in people, who seem aghast at the fact that it has a higher average rating then certain literary masterpieces. Although everyone is obviously entitled to an opinion of the their own, I simply don't see the problem. They are two completely different things, read for two completely different reasons.

But I'm digressing. If you'r
Philip
Apr 05, 2014 Philip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I kept seeing this book everywhere for the past couple years. It was all over goodreads for a while. And it's prominently displayed in my favorite bookstore. But our library doesn't have a copy, and I don't have 10 bucks at the moment. (Technically, any moment...)

And this isn't a dig on my library: I love the place. Is it weird that I asked for this book on inter-library loan? That's something you do for academic books - not for books like this, right?

But I did. And it was totally worth it. In f
Eyehavenofilter
Funny, irreverent, clever and a bit sad. However incredibly entertaining in a weird way. The drawings are simple yet have just enough character to pull you in. The moral, ....well? There really isn't one its just supposed to make you laugh. And it does, so it gets my vote. I only wish brontosauruses were actually that cute.
Brenda Ayala
Jun 12, 2016 Brenda Ayala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They had this for sale at the Natural History Museum. My boyfriend and I were wandering around in the gift shop, singing the Jurassic Park theme song (if you're wondering how we sang a song that has no words to it, simple. Just say the words "Jurassic Park" over and over again to the tune of the song. It works quite well, I swear) and looking at all the neat-o dinosaur shirts. When we walked past a display that had this, I immediately picked it up and started flipping through--then stopped and s ...more
Chamera
Jul 22, 2012 Chamera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, occasionally you pick up a book that unexpectedly make you happy. For me, and even my sister, today this was that book. Books were not in our agenda for the day, especially not books that look as if they are geared towards children. However, All My Friends are Dead was a quirky, funny book that actually had a lot of truth embedded in it. But first the story of how I came across this book.

Today was the last day of the Artscape, an annual 3 day arts and crafts festival set in my hometown, the
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Mar 03, 2012 Dustin Crazy little brown owl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My friends who like to smile :-)
This book really made my day. It brought a smile to my face and a warmth to my heart. It's all about death featuring dinosaurs, an old guy, the grim reaper, flies, expired milk, chickens getting Kentucky Fried, trees getting chopped down etc.

I checked this book out from the library and read it while I walked across the street to my apartment. It made me feel so accomplished to finish a whole book so quickly, even if it does have really big words (I mean big in size, not complexity or length) an
Jubilation Lee
I feel a little ridiculous giving this book four stars, which is more stars than I routinely give, you know, legitimate books with more than fifteen words... but it made me laugh, and that pretty much automatically guarantees a decent rating.

The "story" features the slow, bug-eyed demise of various people and things, including a potted plant ("Please stop buying my friends if you are just going to slowly kill them"), a fruit fly ("All my friends will be dead within 24 hours") and a tree ("Hey th
Dylan Wright
Jul 12, 2016 Dylan Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this the next time you're at B&N. Should only take you 5 minutes and will make you laugh. Or cry.
Kerris
Aug 25, 2014 Kerris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Takove zprijemneni na par chvil :D :D

Flora
Oct 19, 2012 Flora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I appreciate this may not sound like the funniest book in the world.
However, I like it, in much the same way as I like The Christmas Pox (a novel, rather than an unpleasant seasonal rash that I get).
All My Friends Are Dead is basically a perspective on who our friends are, what they really think of us, and how many of them are left at any given time.
I probably find it funny because I`m a "bit" grumpy occasionally, and this kind of fits with my humour. I like zombie films a lot too.
I particul
Annet
Apr 02, 2013 Annet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Came across this little book in City Lights bookstore in San Fran. My eye caught several people browsing through this little cartoonisty book looking like a kids book and seeing all the people grinning, chuckling... I picked it up and found myself laughing too. It's not for kids, it's sort of tragi comic, about the passing of things, but pretty damn funny, cute. The tree and the end table story is LOL funny, the meaning of having many Facebook friends sharply observed... I am gonna put this book ...more
Martin
Sep 14, 2014 Martin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
What I don't get is how this got published in the first place. No, wait - what I really don't get is that this book actually got a "sequel" published: All my friends are still dead. Don't worry: I read both at a bookstore (and saved some money).

I don't know whether I should be happy that almost anything can be published (in case I want to write a book later) or whether I should be sad that books like this get rated so high.

For more about this book, I refer you to Dylan's review...
Katherine
All their friends are dead. Bobišci.

... Hehe.
Dov
Jul 24, 2015 Dov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This books takes a few minutes to read and it's worth it as far as I'm concerned. Some people are really pissed off that it gets such high ratings on goodreads (higher than Shakespeare, etc.), but I think that's the weirdness of a rating system in which all books get rated by the same five stars. (Then again, my neighbor insists it is better than Shakespeare.)

"All My Friends Are Dead" is a fun little picture book for older kids and adults. Maybe it's not a literary masterpiece, but what it sets
Emily S.
Jan 25, 2016 Emily S. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Well. That was morbid. (One of my fourth graders gave me a copy and sat there laughing while I read it.)
Maggie
toto bolo také ňuňu :)
Around the Year i...: All My Friends Are Dead, by Avery Monsen 5 19 Mar 04, 2016 08:52AM
"All my friends are STILL dead" (a sequel!) 1 46 Jun 23, 2013 09:30AM
  • Passive Aggressive Notes: Painfully Polite and Hilariously Hostile Writings
  • Awkward Family Photos
  • I Want My Hat Back
  • Toothpaste for Dinner
  • Simon's Cat (Simon's Cat, #1)
  • Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send
  • How to Take Over Teh Wurld: A LOLcat Guide 2 Winning
  • Darth Vader and Son
1977411
Avery Monsen is an actor, artist, and writer who lives in New York. Right now — whenever you're reading this — he's probably eating cereal.
More about Avery Monsen...

All my friends... (2 books)
  • All My Friends Are Still Dead

“Sometimes I feel alone. Some days are long and hard. But when I look out into this world, I am struck by the impossible beauty of it all. Those billions of magnificent accidents that led us to where we are today, that led us to paper planes and nautilus shells and the tiny, crooked smiles of children. When I think about the small perfections of the world, I have faith that my time will come. I have faith that someday, a warm light will flood over me and I will find peace.” 34 likes
“Please stop buying my friends if you are just going to slowly kill them.” 5 likes