Start by marking “The Graves of Academe” as Want to Read:
The Graves of Academe

The Graves of Academe

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Twenty-odd years ago, Richard Mitchell, a professor at New Jersey's Glassboro State College, set out on a quixotic pursuit: the rescue of the English language and the minds of those attached to the world by it. Donning cape and mask as The Underground Grammarian, Mitchell sallied forth upon his newsletter against the nonsense being spoken, written, and, indeed, encouraged ...more
Published March 28th 2000 by Akadine Press (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Graves of Academe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Graves of Academe

Tim
I happened upon this book completely by accident. Imagine my surprise, then, to find a startling piece of white-hot truth burning in my unsuspecting hands. There were too many things in here that I agreed with to try to list them all. More importantly, though, this book exposed a vast number of pieces of the cultural puzzle that I have been trying to figure out since I first suffered, isolated and angry, through twelve years of public school education.

The genesis of the book began when the autho
max
This book, and Mitchell's other work entitled The leaning tower of Babel and other affronts by the Underground grammarian are the most caustic, depressing, funny and no-holds-barred assaults on the educational establishment that I have ever read.

If you are a public school teacher living day to day with the outrageous stupidities that are foisted upon you ad nauseam by "educationists," this book will provide you with some welcome relief.

If you have ever pulled your hair out in frustration at the
Jim Johnson
This book is erudite and outrageously funny. And it is one of the best books I've ever read. Were I to list all of the thousands of books I've read in a very bookish and long life, and rank them according to their importance in shaping me into the man I am today, it would be among the top ten or twenty. My children are all grown with children of their own. All of my grandchildren are being kept out of the public schools and being schooled at home. Their parents were reared completely outside of ...more
Hanna
I wish I could give this a better review. I also wish this book had more sources to base its wild, and at times blatantly inaccurate claims [ex: phonics are no longer taught to children in schools]- or at least use sources that are not his own Journal, the Underground Grammarian. His arguments would also hold much more validity if he didn't constantly use the same vague languages he constantly deplores. What a shame this book is, in that it does not answer the question WRITTEN ON ITS COVER, but ...more
Natasha
A "bold, innovative thrust" in the realm of books on modern American education.

Wickedly funny and simultaneously alarming, Mitchell's commentary on the hopelessness of the American education system provides a ray of hope for the other "dissidents" in The System. We are not alone.
Jeannie
Superb. With regard to "educators" it shakes the scales from your eyes (and tongue) and sets your mind back on an uncluttered path to clarity and purpose in teaching (anybody, anything.) Should be required reading for ALL "educators" (how I hate that word.)
Dean Madonia
This book provides a disturbing and accurate look at how the school system in America was formed and it's real purpose. All of Ritchard Mitchell's excellent books are available FREE online at his request.
Ike Sharpless
I read this book almost a decade ago, but its acerbic wit and brutal clarity were great. The moral of the story is that education is great, but educationism is really, really bad.
Roy
I loved this book.
Gary Brisebois
Gary Brisebois marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Paris
Paris marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
John Henry Joseph
John Henry Joseph marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Brittney Narcisse
Brittney Narcisse marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Greg Norton
Greg Norton is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2015
Koreen
Koreen added it
Feb 05, 2015
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Charles D Brantley
Charles D Brantley marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Mostafa Azizi
Mostafa Azizi marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Hadrian
Hadrian marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Less Than Words Can Say (Common Reader Editions) The Gift of Fire The Leaning Tower Of Babel And Other Affronts By The Underground Grammarian Pocket Companion to Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease Pocket Companion to Pathologic Basis of Disease