Start by marking “The Graves of Academe” as Want to Read:
The Graves of Academe

The Graves of Academe

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Twenty-odd years ago, Richard Mitchell, a professor at New Jersey's Glassboro State College, set out on a quixotic pursuit: the rescue of the English language and the minds of those attached to the world by it. Donning cape and mask as The Underground Grammarian, Mitchell sallied forth upon his newsletter against the nonsense being spoken, written, and, indeed, encouraged ...more
Published March 28th 2000 by Akadine Press (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Graves of Academe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Graves of Academe

Tim
Dec 23, 2008 Tim rated it it was amazing
I happened upon this book completely by accident. Imagine my surprise, then, to find a startling piece of white-hot truth burning in my unsuspecting hands. There were too many things in here that I agreed with to try to list them all. More importantly, though, this book exposed a vast number of pieces of the cultural puzzle that I have been trying to figure out since I first suffered, isolated and angry, through twelve years of public school education.

The genesis of the book began when the autho
max
Nov 19, 2013 max rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
This book, and Mitchell's other work entitled The leaning tower of Babel and other affronts by the Underground grammarian are the most caustic, depressing, funny and no-holds-barred assaults on the educational establishment that I have ever read.

If you are a public school teacher living day to day with the outrageous stupidities that are foisted upon you ad nauseam by "educationists," this book will provide you with some welcome relief.

If you have ever pulled your hair out in frustration at the
John W.  Redelfs
Apr 27, 2013 John W. Redelfs rated it it was amazing
This book is erudite and outrageously funny. And it is one of the best books I've ever read. Were I to list all of the thousands of books I've read in a very bookish and long life, and rank them according to their importance in shaping me into the man I am today, it would be among the top ten or twenty. My children are all grown with children of their own. All of my grandchildren are being kept out of the public schools and being schooled at home. Their parents were reared completely outside of ...more
Derek Baker
Mar 31, 2016 Derek Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for those who want to educate; the simple things about education (broad literacy) and how we mess them up; especially a must read for conservatives who think education is learning the "right" things.
Hanna
Sep 20, 2012 Hanna rated it it was ok
I wish I could give this a better review. I also wish this book had more sources to base its wild, and at times blatantly inaccurate claims [ex: phonics are no longer taught to children in schools]- or at least use sources that are not his own Journal, the Underground Grammarian. His arguments would also hold much more validity if he didn't constantly use the same vague languages he constantly deplores. What a shame this book is, in that it does not answer the question WRITTEN ON ITS COVER, but ...more
Natasha
Aug 20, 2014 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
A "bold, innovative thrust" in the realm of books on modern American education.

Wickedly funny and simultaneously alarming, Mitchell's commentary on the hopelessness of the American education system provides a ray of hope for the other "dissidents" in The System. We are not alone.
Jeannie
Apr 05, 2010 Jeannie rated it it was amazing
Superb. With regard to "educators" it shakes the scales from your eyes (and tongue) and sets your mind back on an uncluttered path to clarity and purpose in teaching (anybody, anything.) Should be required reading for ALL "educators" (how I hate that word.)
Dean Madonia
This book provides a disturbing and accurate look at how the school system in America was formed and it's real purpose. All of Ritchard Mitchell's excellent books are available FREE online at his request.
Ike Sharpless
I read this book almost a decade ago, but its acerbic wit and brutal clarity were great. The moral of the story is that education is great, but educationism is really, really bad.
Douglas Wilson
May 21, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it
Excellent.
Roy
Dec 10, 2013 Roy rated it really liked it
I loved this book.
Elizabeth Mcnally
Elizabeth Mcnally rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Andy Slain
Andy Slain rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Steven Montgomery
Steven Montgomery marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Sarah Schandle
Sarah Schandle rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Owen Schandle
Owen Schandle rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
A.J
A.J rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Carlos González
Carlos González marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Sarah Riley
Sarah Riley marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Sherry Elmer
Sherry Elmer marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Helena
Helena marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Blossom
Blossom is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2016
Walter Hall
Walter Hall rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Zohaib Afzal
Zohaib Afzal marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
John English
John English marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Mary Frances
Mary Frances marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Anne White
Anne White marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Mary S
Mary S marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Richard Mitchell was born in Brooklyn and grew up in Scarsdale, New York. He received his higher education, for a brief time, at the University of Chicago, where he met his wife, Francis; then at the University of the South, Sewanee, Tenn., where he graduated Phi Beta Kappa; and Syracuse University, where he earned his PhD. in American Literature.

Dr. Mitchell came to Glassboro State College in 19
More about Richard Mitchell...