Start by marking “Mrs Coverlet's Magicians” as Want to Read:
Mrs Coverlet's Magicians

Mrs Coverlet's Magicians (Lost Treasures #2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Trade Paperback with 190 pages, 2002 - Theodore "The Toad" Persever is up to something his brother and sister are sure of it. Ever since their housekeeper, Mrs. Coverlet, went away on tour after winning a cooking contest, their baby-sitter has been acting very strangely. Normally strict and fastidious, Miss Eva Penalty has been languishing in bed since the day she arrived. ...more
190 pages
Published January 1965 by Little Brown & Company (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs Coverlet's Magicians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs Coverlet's Magicians

Jefry
Feb 16, 2009 Jefry added it
This book is about 3 kids whos mom is dead and there dad is in a buseniess trip in a tin mine and there housekeeper won a baking contest and went to New york. They were left with a neighbor and she was the stubborn kind. Toad the youngest kid was a magican but his brother malcom and his sister molly had no idea about it but then he starts doing unusall things for example he says its going to snow in loganbury where it has never snowed before. Also he finds a chritmas tree with a stick and spins ...more
Zoe Lampman
Mrs. Coverlet's Magicians by Mary Nash is a cleverly written book about three siblings, Malcolm, Molly, and Theodore "the Toad" Persever who find themselves alone for Christmas because their father's business trip is delayed and their friendly nanny/house-keeper, Mrs. Coverlet, is away to claim an award. When their loathsome old neighbor, Miss Eva, moves in to take care of them they are forced to eat healthy and no fun is allowed. Malcolm and Molly, the older of the siblings politely do as they' ...more
Mel
Another childhood favorite. I had remembered pretty much all of the plot, so there were no surprises there. However, the dialogue was very hard to get into. The two older children spoke and behaved more like adults than children, and their condescension towards the Toad was pretty annoying by the end. I think I vaguely recall disliking the dialogue and characterization as a child, but the plot was interesting enough that I didn't care. Now I do.
Cindy
Jul 06, 2008 Cindy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: boomers with very young kids
Shelves: children, fiction
Margaret Martin
IF YOUR CHILD STILL BELIEVES IN SANTA AVOID THIS BOOK. We did not know this before we started reading and it took quite a bit of editing - I'm talking skipping entire chapters - not to run into problems. My son is 6 and in many ways this book is perfect for kids his age; but the whole "let's be blunt about how this Santa thing really works" is geared more towards older kids.
Cheryl
What Luann said in her review! I will only add that, since I generally like world-building the best part of series, I expect to give the first book of this four stars if I ever find a copy. Toad was a little too annoying in this one, and the family's situations a bit too contrived. But stale bread pudding with chocolate chips is indeed a winning recipe! Oh, and I love the names: Mr. Forthright the minister, Mr. Bovine the farmer, etc.
Kristin Aker Howell
This is a sweet, Christmas story about children pulling together to care for each other, and their maid. Yes, the youngest uses Voodoo, and it appears to work, but that definitely adds to the appeal of this mild-mannered book. Longer review on my website www.kristinakerhowell.com
Luann
I found an old copy of this book on the library shelf and thought it looked like fun. It was! How come I never knew about Mrs. Coverlet when I was young? Looks like there are a couple of other Mrs. Coverlet books as well, which I would love to read sometime.
Anne
I absolutely loved this book as a kid - I bought it with allowance money from Scholastic Book Service and re-read it a million times. There's no great moral lesson or anything (hell, the kid uses voodoo on his old babysitter) but I just thought it was great fun.
Linda Evans
Jun 02, 2008 Linda Evans rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young readers and their parents
Recommended to Linda by: Scholastic Book Club
I can just look at the book spine and it all comes back to me - the plot of course, and the humor, but most of all, the love of reading, the sheer joy of it, really, a feeling that began about the time I received my copy in the mail and has never, ever left.
Andrew
One of my mother's favorite children's book, from her childhood! We've had it in the house forever and I finally read it while visiting. Cute story. I think I might try and hunt down the other two.
Mommalibrarian
Weekly Reader Children's Book Club
I discover bread pudding. It sounded wonderful. It would be years before I ever got to taste. All bread pudding is measured by the standard set here.
Kathryn McCary
A neat little package that wraps up the magic in time for Christmas. Pleasant, undemanding, with likeable (if not, perhaps, very complex) characters and an amusing plot.
Brenda
May 20, 2012 Brenda added it
This was a book my parents bought for me when I was 8 years old and I just read it to my 8 and 10 year olds. They both really enjoyed it and so did I.
Reed
I've read this book almost every Christmas since I got it through the Weekly Reader Book Club in grade school. I adore it and never tire of it.
Sartan
I read this as an older child and had forgot about it. I just read it again and was very disappointed in it!
Christina Zable
I'm reading this to the girls and love it as much as I ever did, which is a lot.
Lauri
One of my favorite childhood books! Oh if only I had that magic kit!
NC
1961 home alone, cute, not great
Jan Yip
One of my childhood favorites!
Kailey
Lovely children's story!
Katie
Katie added it
Nov 22, 2014
Lindsay Fouts
Lindsay Fouts marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Kelly Gallaway
Kelly Gallaway marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
While Mrs. Coverlet Was Away Mrs. Coverlet's Detectives Defying Male Civilization: Women in the Spanish Civil War «Mujeres libres»: España 1936-1939 The Provoked Wife: The Life and Times of Susannah Cibber