Start by marking “Blackbird Singing: Lyrics And Poems, 1965 1999 (Signed Limited Edition)” as Want to Read:
Blackbird Singing: Lyrics And Poems, 1965 1999 (Signed Limited Edition)

Blackbird Singing: Lyrics And Poems, 1965 1999 (Signed Limited Edition)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A landmark event and cause for international celebration—never before collected, the poems and lyrics of Paul McCartney. This slipcased, numbered, and signed edition of Blackbird Singing is limited to a printing of 250 copies.

To actually read Paul McCartney's poems, whether exuberant love ballads or poignant messages of deepest grief, is to revel in the sheer power of lan

Published (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Blackbird Singing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackbird Singing

Andrew
Here's the thing; Paul McCartney is not a lyrics guy. "Eleanor Rigby," sure, but that's an exception, not the rule. My personal favourite is a bit of an exaggeration, but, as an example, I present, as included in the book, the lyrics to "Why Don't We Do It in the Road?":

No one will be watching us,
why don't we do it in the road?

No one will be watching us,
why don't we do it i
Nicole Rizik
Como diría un amigo viejo (que no es lo mismo que un viejo amigo) este libro está lleno de sorpresas. Paul estaba muy lejos de ser mi Beatle favorito, yo siempre fui Team Lennon. Sin embargo, este libro me ha llevado a comprender que el éxito de los Beatles se encuentra atrás de Paul.

La simplicidad de sus letras, las historias cotidianas, los recuerdos de viejos tiempos -de mejores tiempos- y el espíritu positivo hacia el futuro... Te golpean en la cara y te ponen a reflexionar sobre muchos aspe
Dana
Now, I honestly don't know much about poetry. I've never been a huge fan of it but from time to time, I do like to sit down and try and explore it a little. I picked this book up years ago during the height of my Beatles phase and decided to re read it tonight.

It's an easy read and some of the poems are amusing but I think that Paul should stick to music. Some of his songs are written in this book and it was actually interesting to read the songs vs the poems. You can tell the man is a lyricist.
Adam
I am unimpressed. The introduction of this book entreats us to forget Paul McCartney the musician and focus on Paul McCartney the poet. If that was the goal, the lyrics should have been left out, or at least they should have been presented in a separate section. I've heard and enjoyed McCartney's songs since infancy, and I've heard the stories behind many of those songs time and again; it's just not possible for me to divorce the lyrics from all of that history.

Instead, Beatles lyrics, Wings ly
Rafa Pina
There are some nice surprises in this book. I'm not much into poetry, but I did appreciate some of the poems in Blackbird Singing. The song lyrics are awesome (I mean, we are talking about Paul McCartney here) and can be viewed under a different light if you block out Paul the Beatle and focus on Paul the guy from Liverpool. Good book. Quick read. Different.
Thom
While I love many of the personal poems of McCartney included in this tome, I still can't rate it that highly. However, if you ever had a hard time understanding one of his song lyrics it is a handy source to have around. Favorite poem: "Ivan"
Sara
No matter how hard I try, poetry is always difficult for me to read.
Jessica
A long and winding road that leads to your door,
Will never disappear, I've seen that road before,
It always leads me here, lead me to your door.

The wild and windy night that the rain washed away,
Has left a pool of tears crying for the day.
Why leave me standing here?
Let me know the way.

Many times I've been alone and many times I've cried,
Anyway you'll never know the many ways I've tried,
But still they lead me back to the long, winding road,
You left me standing here, a long, long time ago.
Don't lea
Shelbie Hughes
This book was amazing. Highly reccomend it to beatles fans
Roxanne
This book is important in that it removes the popular music from the beauty of the words...you truly see and "hear" the words...and they are lovely, poignant, pertinent...

Would that Sir McCartney would stick to the elegance of his writing and leave the crescendo and twinkling of his music on the shelf...he's no longer a rock star...what an impression it would make were he to do readings of his works and leave the rock and roll to the aging Rolling Stones...
Louis
Well this was disappointing.
I was hoping for something more coming from the lyricist of the Beatles. To be fair, some poems were real gems though. But when taking into account the bigger picture they are the exception to the rule. The song lyrics that were included are, in my opinion, not always the most beautiful or fitting. Most seem to be added randomly. Except for instance Eleanor Rigby. Anyway, this book wasn't really worth my time.
Jaramy
As much as I love Paul McCartney and he is my favorite Beatle, this book seemed to be haphazardly put together. It's thrown together with mostly just lyrics from his songs, and a few poems. His writing is nowhere near as creative as John's. Plus John could write prose and poetry that were not even connected to his songs, and publish them. This feels almost like a sad attempt to say, "hey I am a writer too".
Eric Outen
I actually had no idea that Paul McCartney has such strong poetic ability. It's his poems about loneliness that really speak loudly to me. "Once upon a long ago" was my favorite here.

"Picking up scales and broken chords
Puppy-dog tails in the house of lords
Tell me darling what can it mean?

Making up moons in a minor key
What have those tunes got to do with me
Tell me darling, where have you been?"
Shannon Easter
It's fun to read poems by Paul McCartney in addition to Beatles lyrics we all know. This book proves that writers just write whenever they feel the need, and I think that's a beautiful thing. It's who writers are, it's what they do, whether or not anyone ever reads it all!
Sonya
Paul McCartney's poems and lyrics, organized together in a short, pleasant collection. While I was reading lyrics, I heard music in my head. Yet the words themselves on a page could well be considered poetry. This book made me pay more attention to lyrics in songs in general.
Amanda
This was really cool!
Paul McCartney is my favorite singer, and I absolutely adore his lyrics. So, I thought I'd check out his poetry.
There were a lot that were really good. Sir Paul really has a way with words. :)
Rangga mahesa
Kumpulan lirik lagu dan puisi sir paul ini bnr2 luar biasa. Walau blom separuh dr bukunya yg kubaca, tetap saja syair beliau ini sangat2... (apa ya?) Baca sendiri aja deh. hehe
Npaw
Of course I loved this, not that I didn't think I would, but am surprised at how much I enjoyed his poetry. The lyrics I already knew I loved.
Tara
This is the way we pull up the anchor
Goodbye to romance.
Out on the ocean a good ship is lost,
And what are we left with
Now we are grown up?
Kenneth Zawacki
the pomes are good. i would have given it four stars if he didn't put beatles song lyrics (ie maxwells silver hammer) in the book. unfair.
Jana
A rather bland collection of poems and lyrics to many of Paul's songs. I really have no idea why this was made into a book.
Kimmie
Pretty much what you would expect. Not only Beatles lyrics...but lots of poems and unreleased songs.
Allison
I'm always reading some books, and this is one of them. Pick it up. Open a page. Imagine. Suspend.
Lois
The lyrics to some of the best songs he wrote between 1965 and 1999. What's not to like?
Maigan
HUGE fan of Sir Paul. Beautiful guy. Writes beautiful stuff.
Bárbara Alvarez
Bárbara Alvarez is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2014
Torese Hummel
Torese Hummel marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Valentina
Valentina marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • Instamatic Karma: Photographs of John Lennon
  • The Beatles: Unseen Archives
  • Magical Mystery Tours: My Life with the Beatles
  • Ticket to Ride: Inside the Beatles' 1964 and 1965 Tours That Changed the World
  • Yellow Submarine
  • Beatles Gear: All the Fab Four's Instruments, from Stage to Studio
  • The Beatles Illustrated Lyrics
  • Beatlesongs
20127
Sir James Paul McCartney MBE, known as Paul McCartney, is an English singer-songwriter, composer, multi-instrumentalist, poet, entrepreneur, painter, record producer, film producer, and animal-rights activist. He gained worldwide fame as one of the founders and members of The Beatles. McCartney and John Lennon formed one of the most influential and successful songwriting partnerships and "wrote so ...more
More about Paul McCartney...
Many Years from Now High in the Clouds Across the Universe Wingspan: Paul McCartney's Band on the Run Paintings

“Sadness isn't sadness. It's happiness in a black jacket. Tears are not tears. They're balls of laughter dipped in salt. Death is not death. It's life that's jumped off a tall cliff.” 128 likes
“Take these broken wings and learn to fly.” 45 likes