Start by marking “Blackbird Singing: Lyrics And Poems, 1965 1999 (Signed Limited Edition)” as Want to Read:
Blackbird Singing: Lyrics And Poems, 1965 1999 (Signed Limited Edition)

Blackbird Singing: Lyrics And Poems, 1965 1999 (Signed Limited Edition)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  458 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
A landmark event and cause for international celebrationnever before collected, the poems and lyrics of Paul McCartney. This slipcased, numbered, and signed edition of Blackbird Singing is limited to a printing of 250 copies.

To actually read Paul McCartney's poems, whether exuberant love ballads or poignant messages of deepest grief, is to revel in the sheer power of lang

Published (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Blackbird Singing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackbird Singing

Andrew
Feb 23, 2010 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Here's the thing; Paul McCartney is not a lyrics guy. "Eleanor Rigby," sure, but that's an exception, not the rule. My personal favourite is a bit of an exaggeration, but, as an example, I present, as included in the book, the lyrics to "Why Don't We Do It in the Road?":

No one will be watching us,
why don't we do it in the road?

No one will be watching us,
why don't we do it i
Nicole Rizik
Como diría un amigo viejo (que no es lo mismo que un viejo amigo) este libro está lleno de sorpresas. Paul estaba muy lejos de ser mi Beatle favorito, yo siempre fui Team Lennon. Sin embargo, este libro me ha llevado a comprender que el éxito de los Beatles se encuentra atrás de Paul.

La simplicidad de sus letras, las historias cotidianas, los recuerdos de viejos tiempos -de mejores tiempos- y el espíritu positivo hacia el futuro... Te golpean en la cara y te ponen a reflexionar sobre muchos aspe
Isabell
Jan 08, 2016 Isabell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit to taking this book from the library shelf simply because of its beautiful cover and title. Only then became aware that it was written by Paul McCartney. I don't know much about him, other than that he was one of the Beatles and that his daughter makes cool clothes. My mom and dad first kissed at a party in the 70s while dancing to "Hey Jude." My dad looked a bit like him, too: big soulful eyes, soft narrow lips, and a thick moptop for hair.

I had to check it out.

The introduction is writ
Dana
Apr 01, 2012 Dana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now, I honestly don't know much about poetry. I've never been a huge fan of it but from time to time, I do like to sit down and try and explore it a little. I picked this book up years ago during the height of my Beatles phase and decided to re read it tonight.

It's an easy read and some of the poems are amusing but I think that Paul should stick to music. Some of his songs are written in this book and it was actually interesting to read the songs vs the poems. You can tell the man is a lyricist.
P
Jul 25, 2016 P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love The Beatles and Paul is my favorite, but lyrics are less than half of the magic in his music. According to "biographer" Peter Ames Carlin, McCartney put this book together because he got tired of the Lennon/McCartney credit being placed on all Beatles songs--even ones Paul wrote completely by himself. This was an arrangement pushed by Brian Epstein when Paul was only 20 years old. By releasing the lyrics under his name only, Paul could finally take full credit for them and he wouldn't have ...more
Adam
Jul 19, 2014 Adam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I am unimpressed. The introduction of this book entreats us to forget Paul McCartney the musician and focus on Paul McCartney the poet. If that was the goal, the lyrics should have been left out, or at least they should have been presented in a separate section. I've heard and enjoyed McCartney's songs since infancy, and I've heard the stories behind many of those songs time and again; it's just not possible for me to divorce the lyrics from all of that history.

Instead, Beatles lyrics, Wings ly
Andrew Doran
The co-author goes out of his way in the introduction to explain why Paul McCartney's writings are valid works of poetry. I'm no expert but I would say that there isn't much in the book that really pushes the case forward on its own merit.

Some surprises are present but they are few and far between. The lyrics to 'Once Upon A Long Ago', for example, work fine in a song but don't offer anything extra on a printed page. Worth a flick-through but not a great collection.
Rafa Pina
There are some nice surprises in this book. I'm not much into poetry, but I did appreciate some of the poems in Blackbird Singing. The song lyrics are awesome (I mean, we are talking about Paul McCartney here) and can be viewed under a different light if you block out Paul the Beatle and focus on Paul the guy from Liverpool. Good book. Quick read. Different.
Linda Lipko
This is a book of McCartney's poems, including the words to songs, some which he wrote with John Lennon, and some he completed by himself.

There were some obscure poems that were not easily read. It was interesting to try to read words to some of the popular songs as though they were stand alone poems. In that context, many were difficult to follow.
Alisa
Feb 25, 2016 Alisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty thoroughly boring to me even as a Beatles-loving teenybopper, and it's still pretty thoroughly boring to me now. Sorry Paul.
Gimena
Jan 24, 2015 Gimena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Otro libro que compré en mi etapa de poeta (jaja). Hay un montón de poesías que rescato. Es un hermoso libro de un gran artista.
Thom
Jun 17, 2014 Thom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I love many of the personal poems of McCartney included in this tome, I still can't rate it that highly. However, if you ever had a hard time understanding one of his song lyrics it is a handy source to have around. Favorite poem: "Ivan"
Sam Ciavarella
May 07, 2016 Sam Ciavarella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reading, particularly interesting for stuff that's never surfaced before
Sara
Feb 24, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No matter how hard I try, poetry is always difficult for me to read.
Jessica
A long and winding road that leads to your door,
Will never disappear, I've seen that road before,
It always leads me here, lead me to your door.

The wild and windy night that the rain washed away,
Has left a pool of tears crying for the day.
Why leave me standing here?
Let me know the way.

Many times I've been alone and many times I've cried,
Anyway you'll never know the many ways I've tried,
But still they lead me back to the long, winding road,
You left me standing here, a long, long time ago.
Don't lea
Shelbie Hughes
Jul 31, 2014 Shelbie Hughes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. Highly reccomend it to beatles fans
Josephine
Jul 27, 2016 Josephine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bøger-jeg-ejer
This review might not be totally objective. Because I'm a big fan of Sir Paul McCartney and his music and especially his lyrics.
I've always thought that Paul McCartney has written some of the most beautiful songs... in the world. The lyrics are often a simple story with a poetic feel to it, so why not publish them on paper as a collection? It makes sense.

All I can say is: read it. And admire the art of writing songs. The thing about Sir Paul McCartney is, that it seems so easy - and thats the
Kimberly Ann
This book was intended to be a birthday present to Paul from Linda & promulgated/edited by Adrian Mitchell.

I liked the poem "Here Today" (for John).
Roxanne
Nov 24, 2012 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is important in that it removes the popular music from the beauty of the words...you truly see and "hear" the words...and they are lovely, poignant, pertinent...

Would that Sir McCartney would stick to the elegance of his writing and leave the crescendo and twinkling of his music on the shelf...he's no longer a rock star...what an impression it would make were he to do readings of his works and leave the rock and roll to the aging Rolling Stones...
Louis
May 20, 2015 Louis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, reviewed
Well this was disappointing.
I was hoping for something more coming from the lyricist of the Beatles. To be fair, some poems were real gems though. But when taking into account the bigger picture they are the exception to the rule. The song lyrics that were included are, in my opinion, not always the most beautiful or fitting. Most seem to be added randomly. Except for instance Eleanor Rigby. Anyway, this book wasn't really worth my time.
Jaramy
Apr 25, 2012 Jaramy rated it did not like it
As much as I love Paul McCartney and he is my favorite Beatle, this book seemed to be haphazardly put together. It's thrown together with mostly just lyrics from his songs, and a few poems. His writing is nowhere near as creative as John's. Plus John could write prose and poetry that were not even connected to his songs, and publish them. This feels almost like a sad attempt to say, "hey I am a writer too".
Eric Outen
Jun 09, 2008 Eric Outen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually had no idea that Paul McCartney has such strong poetic ability. It's his poems about loneliness that really speak loudly to me. "Once upon a long ago" was my favorite here.

"Picking up scales and broken chords
Puppy-dog tails in the house of lords
Tell me darling what can it mean?

Making up moons in a minor key
What have those tunes got to do with me
Tell me darling, where have you been?"
Shannon Easter
Jan 15, 2012 Shannon Easter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's fun to read poems by Paul McCartney in addition to Beatles lyrics we all know. This book proves that writers just write whenever they feel the need, and I think that's a beautiful thing. It's who writers are, it's what they do, whether or not anyone ever reads it all!
Sonya
Jul 30, 2011 Sonya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paul McCartney's poems and lyrics, organized together in a short, pleasant collection. While I was reading lyrics, I heard music in my head. Yet the words themselves on a page could well be considered poetry. This book made me pay more attention to lyrics in songs in general.
Amanda
Jun 16, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was really cool!
Paul McCartney is my favorite singer, and I absolutely adore his lyrics. So, I thought I'd check out his poetry.
There were a lot that were really good. Sir Paul really has a way with words. :)
Rangga mahesa
May 22, 2008 Rangga mahesa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Kumpulan lirik lagu dan puisi sir paul ini bnr2 luar biasa. Walau blom separuh dr bukunya yg kubaca, tetap saja syair beliau ini sangat2... (apa ya?) Baca sendiri aja deh. hehe
Npaw
Apr 19, 2009 Npaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of course I loved this, not that I didn't think I would, but am surprised at how much I enjoyed his poetry. The lyrics I already knew I loved.
Tara
Sep 29, 2007 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the way we pull up the anchor
Goodbye to romance.
Out on the ocean a good ship is lost,
And what are we left with
Now we are grown up?
Kenneth Zawacki
the pomes are good. i would have given it four stars if he didn't put beatles song lyrics (ie maxwells silver hammer) in the book. unfair.
Jana
Oct 05, 2009 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rather bland collection of poems and lyrics to many of Paul's songs. I really have no idea why this was made into a book.
  • Instamatic Karma: Photographs of John Lennon
  • The Beatles: Unseen Archives
  • Meet the Beatles: A Cultural History of the Band That Shook Youth, Gender, and the World
  • Magical Mystery Tours: My Life with the Beatles
  • Ticket to Ride: Inside the Beatles' 1964 and 1965 Tours That Changed the World
  • Memories of John Lennon
  • Paul McCartney
  • The Beatles Illustrated Lyrics
  • Here Comes the Sun: The Spiritual and Musical Journey of George Harrison
20127
Sir James Paul McCartney MBE, known as Paul McCartney, is an English singer-songwriter, composer, multi-instrumentalist, poet, entrepreneur, painter, record producer, film producer, and animal-rights activist. He gained worldwide fame as one of the founders and members of The Beatles. McCartney and John Lennon formed one of the most influential and successful songwriting partnerships and "wrote so ...more
More about Paul McCartney...

“Sadness isn't sadness. It's happiness in a black jacket. Tears are not tears. They're balls of laughter dipped in salt. Death is not death. It's life that's jumped off a tall cliff.” 135 likes
“Take these broken wings and learn to fly.” 72 likes