Old Gold

Old Gold

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When gangland detective and former cop Eoin Miller wakes up to realize his almost-one-night stand has gone cold as a corpse in his bed, his gypsy heritage screams for him to do the easy thing and run. Having abandoned his morals, ambitions, and relationships for a life of alcohol, denial, and dirty work for local crime bosses, escape seems to be the only option left. But E...more
Audio CD
Published July 24th 2012 by Brilliance Audio

Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2012/07/...

Former cop Eoin Miller is good at finding people. He’s fresh off the tail of a someone that owes a dangerous man money when he sees Mary for the first time, nursing a vodka at the local pub. Drawn to her immediately, he finds out that Mary thinks that someone is trying to kill her. Mary goes home with Eoin, and after a night of, well, sleep (him on the couch downstairs, and her upstairs), he wakes up to find her dead, stra...more
Paul Brazill
Ever since Ken Bruen's Jack Taylor first staggered out into the daylight, a new, more rough and ready type of Private Detective has started to crawl out of the woodwork on this side of the pond, such as Tony Black's Gus Dury, Ray Bank's Cal Inness, Nick Quantrill's Joe Geraghty.

Well, courtesy of Jay Stringer, there's a cracking new Brit Grit Private Eye on the block.

Eoin Miller is a half-Gypsy, ex cop who is drowning in guilt, doubt and self-loathing. And he sinks himself further into the well o...more
Bonnie Brody
This first novel starts out with a bang and the fire works don't stop until the end. For a first novel, it is very good. There are plot lines waiting in a queue for more plot lines to turn up and the characters are very noir. It reminded me a bit of Ken Bruen's work.

The story starts out with Eoin Miller, half gypsy, going home with a prostitute named Mary who tells him that someone wants to kill her. In the morning she is dead in his bed and he has a hang-over. While he is searching for Mary's k...more
Johanne
A bit "blokey" perhaps but well written and engaging - reminded me a little of early Sara Paretsky. Not an epic read took me a couple of days. As a wolverhampton resisdent I also like seeing the place through someone else's eyes>
Cheryl
"If there's trouble, be far away from it. If you can't be far away, run like hell."

Eoin Miller is my type of protagonist - full of black humor, angry at the world, with a good dash of cowardice tossed in.

Eoin is hired to find things and people, something he can do on the side when he's not working for the Mann brothers, crime bosses in Wolverhampton, in the Midlands region of England, an area of unemployment, bigotry and dirty politics.

"Old Gold" starts off with a murder mystery but has a missin...more
Kay
Already read

the story got me from the first few chapters. Then there was so many different stories going on at the same time. The last few chapters were so enlightening. Everything was put together and VERY satisfying!!!!!
Paul
If you like crime novels then you should absolutely get on this; it’s both brilliantly inventive and wonderfully written. Great first book, and I'm moving straight onto the next one.
Alex
It's ok, started out with a lot of promise but then devolved into your run of the mill, "I've heard this before" story with a pretty hollywoodized ending.

It's not a bad read, but I can't help but feel let down by the lack of character development. Most of them are paper cutouts, you only get glimpses of who these people really are and that is the most interesting part of the book yet we never get to explore them or even know them satisfactorily.
Mark Clough
Wolverhampton is the possibly unlikely setting for this snappy tale of dodgy goings on. Our hero is an ex-policeman whose Gypsy heritage has always made him an outsider both in the force and in the grubby underworld he inhabits after leaving the force. The book cracks along at a good pace with nice short chapters which seem to be a prerequisite for such novels. I enjoyed it.
Katy Defay
I enjoyed this book a great deal and found it to be a quick and easy read. The book has a bit of the flavor of Adrian McKinty's writing. The main character was well-developed and believable, and there was just enough humor to lighten up what could have been a too-dark story. I wouldn't hesitate to read another book by Jay Stringer.
James Kemp
A compelling read, with an easy flow to it that keeps you going. The primary character is interesting and very flawed, and it lives in a seedy world mostly painted dark grey and black.
Nathan
Didn't really enjoy this book. I think it was a freebie on the kindle. Don't know why, not much I could put my finger on, but just didn't enjoy it.
Michael Stringer
superb first novel, any black country folk will be pleased to recognise the back drop. heartily reccomend reading this book
Richy Black
A trip to the grim underbelly of life in the West Midlands. Once I started I couldn't put it down.
Steve
Steve is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Jef
Jef marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Brenda
Brenda is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2014
Kerri Aldrich
Kerri Aldrich marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Maxine
Maxine marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
eileen l gaudette-crowe
eileen l gaudette-crowe marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Gemma
Gemma marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jay Stringer was born in Walsall, West Midlands, in 1980. He would like everyone to know he's not dead yet. He's worked as a zoo keeper, a bookseller, a video editor and a call centre lackey.

His work is a mixture of crime, mystery and social fiction, and Jay coined the term "social pulp" to describe the mix. He likes to write about the difference between the 'haves' and the 'have nots,' and to sho...more
More about Jay Stringer...
Runaway Town Lost City Faithless Street (Old Gold, Prequel) The Goldfish Heist And Other Stories Terminal Damage: A Do Some Damage Collection