The Fran with Four Brains (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #6)

The Fran with Four Brains (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist #6)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  448 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Being a mad scientist in the modern world is very hard work. With so much that needs to be done in such a short period of time, multitasking can get way out of hand. Franny needs some additional help. But for Franny there is only one person in the world she trusts to help her with her experiments -- herself. So she acquires assistance the mad-scientist way, by building a f...more
Published August 28th 2007 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2006)

Emily
"I think maybe we don't have to be excellent at everything. I think we need to pick a couple of things, and we should try to pick the things you really and truly enjoy. And maybe, sometimes, we could just do nothing."

Mr. Benton has picked another hot topic - overscheduled children - and turned it into an amusing tale of mad science escapades and misadventures. I like that he allows Franny's mom to learn and grow in this book along with Franny. Kids aren't the only ones that need to learn these...more
A short and easy chapter book for students in early elementary school. Franny, a mad scientist, builds some robots to help her with her over-scheduled life. The robots not only play soccer, take bagpipe lessons, and learn gourmet cooking, they also strive for excellence. Of course, Franny's robots take things too far and Franny uses clever creative thinking to defeat the robots. Franny and her mother both learn important lessons: lessons and extra activities can keep you from finding time to enj...more
Carol
Another great Franny K. Stein adventure. Amber absolutely loves this series, mostly because it’s about a girl who loves science and gross things, just like Amber. Her favorite part of this one was the food ray, one of the Franbot accessories. Amber is almost 9 and this series is a little below her reading level, but that makes it fun. She doesn’t have to worry about the actual reading, she can just breeze through it and really enjoy the story.

Dolly
Oct 30, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the sixth book in the Franny K. Stein series by Jim Benton. We first discovered this series when we listened to Frantastic Voyage on audio CD.

We all thought it was a humorous tale, so we decided to read some of the other books/audio CDs in the series. We listened to this story narrated aloud by Michele O. Medlin on audio CD.

This story shows us how Franny figures out how to do more in the day with limited time and energy. I love that Franny and her mother discover that it's good to just...more
Veronica
wjkb
A really good book!!!
Katharine
Perfect for my 7 year old who loves silliness and sci-fi. He was so excited to see I had a stack of Franny K. Stein's from the library today and enthusiastically snuggled to read it.

I'm finding it can be a bit hard to find these early chapter books that are not all about "life in the second grade" (such as Judy Moody and Goony Bird). As homeschoolers, my kids don't really relate to that theme. So far, the Franny K Steins avoid too much "class" talk while also praising creativity. Love that.
Jody
Jackson (7) says very good book but not as funny as the others in this series;)
Katherine
Ashley loves all of these books
Little Miss and the Legomeister
Little Miss's latest bedtime obsession. I must admit I like these a lot better for out loud bedtime stories than her previous book, Leven Thumps and the Whispered Secret. Cute if somewhat odd story.
Kaeleigh
IT WAS VERY FUNNY.IM GLAD THAT IM READING THE FRANNY BOOKS.MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN FRANNY BUILT THE FRANBOTS.FRANNY HAS A DOG.ITS NOT A REGULAR DOG.THE DOG WAS PART POODLE, PART CHIHUAHUA, PART BEAGLE, PART SPANIEL, PART SHEPHERD AND PART SOME WEASEL THING.I WISH I CAN BE PART OF THE STORY.I LIKE FRANNY BECAUSE SHE IS A MAD SCIENTIST.
StorySnoops
This series continues to amuse and entertain, while teaching a valuable lesson each time as well. In The Fran with Four Brains, the lesson is about how exhausting and overwhelming it can be to be an overscheduled kid... (click here for full review http://www.storysnoops.com/detail.php...)
Deirdre Keating
Aug 02, 2008 Deirdre Keating rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: little mad scientist
Recommended to Deirdre by: Aidan
My favorite of the Franny books so far. We've read at least four of them now. The later ones have a slight showing of some "attitude" but this one and the first, Lunch Walks Among Us, keep Aidan busy for days----creating similar inventions in his "lab" ;-)
Brooke
Another favorite book of ours, we have been reading more kids books these days as I am constantly trying to cram reading into them. My daughter loved this one as well. She liked the idea in her and wanted to implement it in her own life.
Kat
I liked the book because, I like the Franny K. Stein books.I liked how when Franny made three robots of herself everyone thought the robots were her. I didn't like how Franny's robots were planningto kill Franny and her family.
Kaethe
I love Franny K. Stein. I love the little pink house and the bats outside her attic bedroom window. And I love how Franny's family and classmates are all somewhat puzzled, but totally accepting, of her weird ways.
Christian B.
this was cool because she made robots that were as smart as her. then she had to try and kill them because they were trying to kill her!taht mase it so interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I really like Franny K. Stein - she is always coming up with something and there is usually a fun lesson. In this case, Franny's Franbots start to take over without orders from her.
Anica
Juneau is getting too big for these books, but still loves them. She finished this one while I was shopping around for other books. But she made me buy it anyway. That's my girl.
Kat
I liked the book because she wanted to make 3 robots so she can take a little brake, but insted ends up having to disable them so her mom will be able to relax for a little.
Trinity Klennert
Jim Benton is an amazing author. I love these books. It was a quick easy read but, i want to be a scienctist when i grow up.
Tash
It was cute. My little sister demanded that I read it to her, and I enjoyed it along with her. She loves these books.
Jill
she is a mad sintest every boby is afrid of her like when the other had peenut butter jelly sandwich
she had a cupcake
Lori
A lot of moms I know would benefit from reading this book....It talks about how we over-schedule our kids!
Powers Family
Good message about balancing activities told in a funny way. Great read for my 1st grader.
Gianna
I love Franny.K STINE she loves science and she loves her dog assistance Igor.So Cute :)
Gina
Cute and clever, with fun plays on words and illustrations. Perfect for third graders.
Ann
Perfect content and amount of text on a page for some of my reluctant readers.
Justin
this book was good. the girl was probably smarter than a colledge person
  • Ivy and Bean Break the Fossil Record (Ivy and Bean, #3)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000
  • Stink and the Great Guinea Pig Express (Stink, #4)
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mutant Mosquitoes from Mercury (Ricky Ricotta, #2)
  • Remembering Mrs. Rossi
  • The Cat on the Mat Is Flat
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #4)
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Fancy Nancy at the Museum
  • The Magician's Boy
  • Puppy Love (Babymouse, #8)
  • The Pleasantries of the Incredible Mulla Nasrudin
  • Return of the Vampire (Creepella von Cacklefur #4)
  • Roxie and the Hooligans
Benton began his career in a custom design t-shirt shop where he started designing his own characters. At the same time, Jim did illustrations and artwork for magazines and newspapers. People magazine named him "the most visible cartoonist in America" .

Benton also created greeting cards and worked in the magazine and publishing industry. In 1998, his SpyDogs characters became an animated series, T...more
More about Jim Benton...
Let's Pretend This Never Happened (Dear Dumb Diary #1) It's Not My Fault I Know Everything (Dear Dumb Diary #8) My Pants Are Haunted Am I the Princess or the Frog? (Dear Dumb Diary #3) Can Adults Become Human?