Start by marking “The Fran with Four Brains (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Fran with Four Brains (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #6)

The Fran with Four Brains (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist #6)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  650 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Being a mad scientist in the modern world is very hard work. With so much that needs to be done in such a short period of time, multitasking can get way out of hand. Franny needs some additional help. But for Franny there is only one person in the world she trusts to help her with her experiments -- herself. So she acquires assistance the mad-scientist way, by building a f ...more
Published August 28th 2007 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Fran with Four Brains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fran with Four Brains

"I think maybe we don't have to be excellent at everything. I think we need to pick a couple of things, and we should try to pick the things you really and truly enjoy. And maybe, sometimes, we could just do nothing."

Mr. Benton has picked another hot topic - overscheduled children - and turned it into an amusing tale of mad science escapades and misadventures. I like that he allows Franny's mom to learn and grow in this book along with Franny. Kids aren't the only ones that need to learn these
A short and easy chapter book for students in early elementary school. Franny, a mad scientist, builds some robots to help her with her over-scheduled life. The robots not only play soccer, take bagpipe lessons, and learn gourmet cooking, they also strive for excellence. Of course, Franny's robots take things too far and Franny uses clever creative thinking to defeat the robots. Franny and her mother both learn important lessons: lessons and extra activities can keep you from finding time to enj ...more
Another great Franny K. Stein adventure. Amber absolutely loves this series, mostly because it’s about a girl who loves science and gross things, just like Amber. Her favorite part of this one was the food ray, one of the Franbot accessories. Amber is almost 9 and this series is a little below her reading level, but that makes it fun. She doesn’t have to worry about the actual reading, she can just breeze through it and really enjoy the story.

Edward Creter
Franny K. Stein. Astronomy minded. A girl barely eleven. Gentlemen, we can review her latest adventure. We have the technology. We have the capability to critique her making the world's first bionic foursome. Fran K. will have that foursome. Better than she ever was. Better....stronger....faster...but not cooler! Franny is back with number six, which might as well be her six-million dollar adventure...and worth every penny! Fran and her beloved Dog Igor want the day to be faster so she can play ...more
Dena (Batch of Books)
If you are looking for an early chapter book that breaks the norm, give this series a try. Franny is a mad scientist that kids will love. Kids that enjoy creepy things will especially like this series.

When Franny feels overwhelmed with her school and extracurricular activities, she makes a few Franbots to take her place. When Franny decides the Franbots are too active for her mother, they hatch a plan to turn Franny and her family into food. Franny must find a way to stop the bots before they ta
Oct 30, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the sixth book in the Franny K. Stein series by Jim Benton. We first discovered this series when we listened to Frantastic Voyage on audio CD.

We all thought it was a humorous tale, so we decided to read some of the other books/audio CDs in the series. We listened to this story narrated aloud by Michele O. Medlin on audio CD.

This story shows us how Franny figures out how to do more in the day with limited time and energy. I love that Franny and her mother discover that it's good to just
She made three other Fran robots and like usual, her creations got her into trouble. They were just going too hard so she said, tomatoes row I'll make you a little calmer, but when she went to bed, they sneaked and made a plan. The Igor had to wake her up. The Fran had a great idea and made herself look exactly like the robots. She made them do amazing things, but then the last one figured out that Fran was destroying the other ones. Read it to see how it ends.
Fran is a mad scientist but not what you would expect. Fran is a little girl with a big brain, with a big brain she uses it to make creations above and beyond and because of that everyone in her class is scared. Fran makes her mind change so she is like girl with so many different personalities. To find out how crazy this girl can be read the whole series.
Like all the books in this series, this is an amusing read. For some reason, Frannie K. Stein has always been a big hit with the boys in my classroom, particularly those who tend not to like reading.
Chris Hays
Great sense of humor. The graphics add a lot of unwritten humor to the story.
A really good book!!!
3.5, rounding up because LITTLE GIRL MAD SCIENTIST!
Perfect for my 7 year old who loves silliness and sci-fi. He was so excited to see I had a stack of Franny K. Stein's from the library today and enthusiastically snuggled to read it.

I'm finding it can be a bit hard to find these early chapter books that are not all about "life in the second grade" (such as Judy Moody and Goony Bird). As homeschoolers, my kids don't really relate to that theme. So far, the Franny K Steins avoid too much "class" talk while also praising creativity. Love that.
Jackson (7) says very good book but not as funny as the others in this series;)
Ashley loves all of these books
Little Miss and the Legomeister
Little Miss's latest bedtime obsession. I must admit I like these a lot better for out loud bedtime stories than her previous book, Leven Thumps and the Whispered Secret. Cute if somewhat odd story.
This series continues to amuse and entertain, while teaching a valuable lesson each time as well. In The Fran with Four Brains, the lesson is about how exhausting and overwhelming it can be to be an overscheduled kid... (click here for full review
Deirdre Keating
Aug 02, 2008 Deirdre Keating rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: little mad scientist
Recommended to Deirdre by: Aidan
My favorite of the Franny books so far. We've read at least four of them now. The later ones have a slight showing of some "attitude" but this one and the first, Lunch Walks Among Us, keep Aidan busy for days----creating similar inventions in his "lab" ;-)
Another favorite book of ours, we have been reading more kids books these days as I am constantly trying to cram reading into them. My daughter loved this one as well. She liked the idea in her and wanted to implement it in her own life.
I liked the book because, I like the Franny K. Stein books.I liked how when Franny made three robots of herself everyone thought the robots were her. I didn't like how Franny's robots were planningto kill Franny and her family.
I love Franny K. Stein. I love the little pink house and the bats outside her attic bedroom window. And I love how Franny's family and classmates are all somewhat puzzled, but totally accepting, of her weird ways.
Christian B.
this was cool because she made robots that were as smart as her. then she had to try and kill them because they were trying to kill her!taht mase it so interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I really like Franny K. Stein - she is always coming up with something and there is usually a fun lesson. In this case, Franny's Franbots start to take over without orders from her.
Juneau is getting too big for these books, but still loves them. She finished this one while I was shopping around for other books. But she made me buy it anyway. That's my girl.
I liked the book because she wanted to make 3 robots so she can take a little brake, but insted ends up having to disable them so her mom will be able to relax for a little.
Trinity Klennert
Jim Benton is an amazing author. I love these books. It was a quick easy read but, i want to be a scienctist when i grow up.
It was cute. My little sister demanded that I read it to her, and I enjoyed it along with her. She loves these books.
Mar 14, 2012 Jill rated it 5 of 5 stars
she is a mad sintest every boby is afrid of her like when the other had peenut butter jelly sandwich
she had a cupcake
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mutant Mosquitoes from Mercury (Ricky Ricotta, #2)
  • Puppy Love (Babymouse, #8)
  • Ivy and Bean Break the Fossil Record (Ivy and Bean, #3)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • Being Teddy Roosevelt
  • Gooney the Fabulous
  • Zelda and Ivy: The Runaways (Zelda and Ivy #4)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Big Sleepover (Henry and Mudge, #28)
  • Remembering Mrs. Rossi
  • The Magician's Boy
  • Stink and the Great Guinea Pig Express (Stink, #4)
  • Attack of the Ninja Frogs (Dragonbreath, #2)
  • Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies
  • The Cat on the Mat Is Flat
  • Biscuit and the Little Pup
  • Fred and Ted like to fly (Beginner Books(R))
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #4)
Benton began his career in a custom design t-shirt shop where he started designing his own characters. At the same time, Jim did illustrations and artwork for magazines and newspapers. People magazine named him "the most visible cartoonist in America" .

Benton also created greeting cards and worked in the magazine and publishing industry. In 1998, his SpyDogs characters became an animated series, T
More about Jim Benton...

Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist (7 books)
  • Lunch Walks Among Us (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #1)
  • Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #2)
  • The Invisible Fran (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #3)
  • The Fran That Time Forgot (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #4)
  • Frantastic Voyage (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #5)
  • The Frandidate (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #7)