Start by marking “Spying in America: Espionage from the Revolutionary War to the Dawn of the Cold War” as Want to Read:

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Spying in America presents a history of more than thirty espionage cases inside the United States. These cases include Americans who spied against their country, spies from both the Union and Confederacy during the Civil War, and foreign agents who ran operations on American soil. Some of the stories are familiar, such as those of Benedict Arnold and Julius Rosenberg, whil ...more
Published November 1st 2012 by Georgetown University Press

To ask other readers questions about Spying in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spying in America

Albert
Oct 18, 2012 Albert rated it really liked it

Spying in America: Espionage from the Revolutionary War to the Dawn of the Cold War. The title is pretty self-explanatory. It is about people who spied against the United States during its short 230+ years of existence.

Now you might think that the subject matter might be a little boring. The only reason I signed up to receive a copy was because of recent books I have read that peaked my interest on the subject of espionage. And I'm glad I did because this was a very good book.

Michael Sulick wrot

Rob Slaven
Apr 19, 2013 Rob Slaven rated it really liked it
As usual, I received this book as part of a GoodReads drawing and despite that kind and generous consideration my opinions are candidly stated below.

The primary danger for any work on history is that the author will provide information with such force and determination that the result is as dry as a mouth full of crackers. Sulick's treatment of the history of espionage against the United States does not so suffer. His presentation of the topic is pleasingly broad, covering the long history of th
Erika Sajdak
Nov 04, 2012 Erika Sajdak rated it it was ok
I found moments of this book hilarious, heartbreaking and slightly nostalgic in turn, but still could not bring myself to rate it higher due to the strong Republican voice I felt whispering in my ear throughout the book.

There is a plea beyond these stories. The former leader in the CIA is explaining to us, the masses and the hoi polloi (if you'll excuse the redundancy) about how urgent it is for us to give up this silly idea of individual rights and privacy- about how we can and should trade th
Todd Kinsey
Jan 18, 2014 Todd Kinsey rated it liked it
Spying in America is a brilliantly concise overview of our nation’s clandestine services. In one quick read Sulick has highlighted both our success and our failures as America has grown from an upstart nation to world superpower.

My lone criticism of his effort, and the reason for my average scoring of this book, is that he takes multiple opportunities to target Senator McCarthy’s efforts to limit Soviet espionage in America, citing the Venona documents to support his claim. When, in fact, the Ve
Zack
Jan 25, 2014 Zack rated it liked it
This book is exactly what the title says. It was almost told in too straight-forward of a manner, though. It felt very academic. I suppose I would have liked a bit more narrative flavoring. But, all-in-all, very informative. I picked up the sequel as well.
Michelle Castro
Aug 19, 2014 Michelle Castro rated it it was amazing
Very good book is you are looking for something to learn about.
Doyle Netzly
Oct 03, 2012 Doyle Netzly rated it liked it
This is a charming book! Mr. Sulick is clearly a person who loves telling stories and he possesses a thorough and clear knowledge of the stories he tells. At times, he takes us to tug at the threads of history, and at others, he's warm and gracious, patiently guiding us on own personal tour through the NSA.
I'd really encourage Mr. Sulick to write more!

this is definitely a Good Read...
and i warmly thank the GoodReads program for providing it.
Amy
May 13, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read. It's a good overview of significant spies in America (working against America) up through the Cold War. I'd be interested in reading an account by this author of spies working for America during the Cold War era. I suppose we'll have to wait many years for that due to the protection of those agents.

I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Brent
Oct 07, 2012 Brent rated it really liked it
I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway. This was a very interesting book detailing the history of espionage in the United States. It features some of the more infamous cases of espionage against America as well as some that I had never heard of before. I recommend anyone interested in the history of espionage read Spying in America.
Alana
Oct 26, 2012 Alana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, 2012
**ARC**

very interesting. learned about a few spies i didn't know and new information on the famous ones i did know. i liked the flow from one era to the next. it would be a great source for research papers for content as well as the multiple sources cited.

(Recieved free through Goodreads First Reads)
Dave
Feb 17, 2014 Dave added it
remarkable ,after old diaries + papers are discovered. especially neat to my mind are the oldest examples of spies we/I never knew about.
Joe
Dec 12, 2012 Joe rated it liked it
I got this book free from Goodreads First Reads.
Spying in America is a very interesting book that is also very informative. Though slightly dry at certain spots, the information given is very interesting. It's like a real life spy novel, only with less action and more big words.
Joanna
Feb 03, 2013 Joanna rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received a free copy from the Goodreads First Reads Program. Interesting. I didn't know about most of these.
Wennifred
Sep 16, 2012 Wennifred marked it as to-read
I just won a copy from Goodreads. Looking forward to reading it. I will write a review after I've read it. Thank you.
Chloe
Sep 15, 2012 Chloe marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
I obtained this from a Goodreads first reads giveaway. A review is to come.
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Kenny Witham
Kenny Witham is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2016
Nathaniel Hartley
Nathaniel Hartley rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Dpmcdermott
Dpmcdermott rated it did not like it
Dec 26, 2015
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
John Berringer
John Berringer marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
Dec 06, 2015
Lizzieorr
Lizzieorr marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Chris Davis
Chris Davis rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Viktoria
Viktoria rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2015
Kylee Ingram
Kylee Ingram marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Salvatore Elvezio
Salvatore Elvezio marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Brigham
Brigham marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
  • Spies: The Rise and Fall of the KGB in America
  • Shadow Warrior: William Egan Colby and the CIA
  • Thanks for My Journey: A Holocaust Survivor's Story of Living Fearlessly
  • 50 Ways to Play: BDSM for Nice People
  • Elihu Washburne : The Diary and Letters of America's Minister to France During the Siege and Commune of Paris
  • The Craft of Intelligence: America's Legendary Spy Master on the Fundamentals of Intelligence Gathering for a Free World
  • The Brother: The Untold Story of Atomic Spy David Greenglass and How He Sent His Sister, Ethel Rosenberg, to the Electric Chair
  • Smuggler Nation: How Illicit Trade Made America
  • Whittaker Chambers
  • Rise to Greatness: Abraham Lincoln and America's Most Perilous Year
  • Born Under an Assumed Name: The Memoir of a Cold War Spy's Daughter
  • 1775: A Good Year for Revolution
  • A Century of Spies: Intelligence in the Twentieth Century
  • Spymaster: My Thirty-two Years in Intelligence and Espionage Against the West
  • The Last Headbangers: NFL Football in the Rowdy, Reckless '70s: the Era that Created Modern Sports
  • Story of a Secret State: My Report to the World
  • Whiskey Island (Milan Jacovich #16)
  • Defend the Realm: The Authorized History of MI5