Start by marking “Nanny Oggs Kochbuch” as Want to Read:
Nanny Oggs Kochbuch

Nanny Oggs Kochbuch (Discworld Companion Books)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  3,980 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Nanny Ogg, one of Discworld’s most famous witches, has decided to pass on some of her huge collection of tasty and exceedingly interesting recipes. In addition to the delights of the Strawberry Wobbler and Nobby’s Mum’s Distressed Pudding, Mrs Ogg imparts her thoughts on life, death, etiquette, courtship, children and weddings, all in a refined style that should not offend ...more
Published 2006 by Goldmann Verlag (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Nanny Oggs Kochbuch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nanny Oggs Kochbuch

Chris
Sometimes you just have to lighten things up, y'know? As if the jokes-as-philosophy book wasn't light enough.

There have been quite a few spin-off books from Pratchett's Discworld series in the years that he's been doing them. Various maps, the Science of Discworld books, plays, films and now this. And I think we can all agree that spin-offs are never quite as good as the original.

Oh sure, there are laughs to be had - it is Nanny Ogg, after all. If you don't know who she is, then you need to go t
Schnuckiputzi
Jan 16, 2008 Schnuckiputzi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people over 21
Shelves: 2008
OMG! This needs to be rated PG-17 -- Strawberry Wobbler?!?! If I made this dish, my husband would have a stroke. This is Nanny Ogg at her naughty best, with apoplectic notes from the editor and the publisher. I sniggered and snerked all the way through.
Madelene
There are recipes in this book, but I don't know if the food's actually edible. I think so, though. The recipes are, however, not the reason why I bought Nanny Ogg's Cookbook. I bought it because I love Nanny Ogg. She's one of my favourite characters, not just from the Discworld novels, but all in all.

The book is filled with little tips based on her wisdom of life. And boose. And men. We also gets some information about the undead:

"At first glance this appears very simple. Nearly everyone you
Kristen
I would say a "Must Have" for any Discworld fanatic, but unfortunately it's not a "Must Have"... what it is however is a very fun, whimsical cookbook assembled by our favorite dirty minded witch of Lancre - Nanny Ogg. Though this book does contain recipes (and most of them appear fairly legit) the reason to buy this book is for the old fashioned wisdom that used to come in cookbooks. The more of the Discworld books that you have read, the more you will recognize the names and people mentioned in ...more
Jonathan
There are several reasons why I love this book.
1. It's a first person perspective of one of my favourite Pratchett characters, Gytha 'Nanny' Ogg. A bawdy, friendly, matriarchal figure who is just beautifully written for.

2. Many of the recipes are provided by other Discworld characters and gives a little additional background and insight into these people, which might otherwise seem a little superfluous shared in the novels themselves.

3. It's a cookbook, so there are actually some decent recip
Аделина 'Змей' Генова

Ако можех да избирам свят, в който да живея, това щеше да е Света на Диска и, по възможност, щях да направя леля Ог своя приятелка. Първо, защото никак не е зле да познаваш вещица и второ, защото леля Ог е точната вещица, ако имаш нужда от закрила и забава (никой да не казва на баба Вихронрав!)

Като оставим настрана това, че са поднесени като на шега, то спокойно може да се каже, че в книгата всъщност присъстват доста прилични рецепти, които могат да бъдат
Text Addict
I received this book as a gift last year, and I understand it had to actually be shipped from Britain - apparently there is no market in the US for funny cookbooks based on fantasy-fiction characters. Besides me, that is.

Anyway, I read more than halfway through it last year and then misplaced it in a pile of other books, and only re-discovered it this week. Finishing it made a great way to procrastinate this afternoon.

You have to have at least read Terry Pratchett's Discworld series to get the
Carolin
Ich hatte viel Spaß mit Nanny Ogg, ein Schmunzeln war eigentlich ständiger Begleiter. Auch die Zeichnungen haben mir sehr gut gefallen (am tollsten ist ja die mampfende Katze auf der letzten Seite). Ein paar Rezepte fand ich zwar rein vom Durchlesen weniger nachkochenswert (gibt's das?!), aber ich habe mir auch einiges kopiert, um es mal auszuprobieren. Auch fand ich manche Witze zu platt und manche Anspielungen habe ich bestimmt nicht ganz verstanden, da fehlt mir noch ein bisschen Scheibenwelt ...more
Eve Faxton
I got this years ago as a Valentine's Day present and every year, my hubby dares me to make the Strawberry Wobbler. I have yet to get the courage. This is for the die-hard fan who has read a lot of the Discworld series. If not, you won't catch some of the jokes. But there's still plenty of humor and interesting recipes to enjoy. Don't skip or skim the Prologue. It's too hilarious to miss.
Tracy Sherman
I wish I had read this fount of knowledge and advice when I was of more tender years. It would've saved me a lot of trouble and I'm sure a lot of confusion.
Full of Antiquarian Lore, Etiquette and Helpful Observations for the stout of heart and recipes for the even stout of stomachs.
I'd recommend this book for any young people as they start their way in life or for any old people as they look back laughing on their life.
If you can't trust Nanny Ogg who can you trust?
Spuddie
A hilarious compilation of recipes, Discworld gossip and folklore featuring Nanny Ogg, one of the Discworld's most notable witches. Most of the recipes actually look quite good, although I will need to do some conversions as they're written in UK measurements--which is only to be expected, and I will have to pick up some frogs so I can not add them to the Frog Pills. From the delectable sounding "Sticky Toffee Rat Onna Stick" to the "Knuckle Sandwich" and "Mrs. Gogol's Clairvoyant Gumbo," there' ...more
Deb
Apr 05, 2012 Deb rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pratchett fans who like to own unusual Discworld paraphernalia
Shelves: cooking, fantasy-sf, humor
This is not really a cookbook. The text may, from time to time, arrange itself into recipe-esque formations containing ingredient lists populated by items with descriptions that resemble what you might define as "food," but I repeat: this is not really a cookbook.

Inside the book is a collection of nice-to-know, but not essential-to-own, Discworld trivia. The writing is meta-fan-fiction, an author's attempt at poking at himself from the outside-in. It was an amusing read, but my hopes were dashed
Otis Campbell
I'm crooked, I'm cooking up, I'm cooking
I'm next, jumping out the pyrex
I'm crooked, I'm cooking up, I'm cooking
My time, now watch the fire burn
Jumping out the pyrex
G.r.s. Hjelm
I LOVE Nanny!! She's wonderful and funny and dear god does she brighten up a dull day!
I've tried some of the recipes, and they turned out very tasty. Like the Lancre Mint Cake which was delicious.
Staci Lynn
i've had 2 copies of this now, gave one for a birthday present! Probably the funniest cookbook i've ever had but also has some real recipes in it that give good results.
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Αντί για κριτική, θα πρότεινα σε κάποιον να διαβάσει απλά το οπισθόφυλλο. Νομίζω είναι αρκετό για να πάρει μια γραμμή, περί τίνος πρόκειται.
Tony Graff
This is a funny book to keep by the nightstand on those off-moments where you need a laugh. It's not necessary to read in order, or all in one sitting, and is all wonderfully Pratchett-ish. The humor borders on off-color, but it never crosses that boundary unless there's a memo on top of it, so you can't read it anyways.
Aubrey
Terry Pratchett's Discworld is an under-appreciate and marvelous escape.
Arati
Loved it! Planning on trying out several of the recipes
Lynne Brooks
I've actually made slumpy, it was disgusting
JennaL
Not only a great read...

but has some legitimately tasty recipes included.

I mainly bought the book because, well. Because I but EVERY T Pratchett book. Figured it would be an entertaining read, and honestly only made the first recipe as a way to kill a rainy afternoon.

Shockingly, while they aren't going to end up on a 4-star menu, there ARE some really tasty recipes to pick from. I now own 2 copies - one to read, and one that is starting to look a bit battered from various culinary splashes.
Vicki Edwards
Would have been more amusing if they hadn't taken things out but there is a sense of authenticity.
Dracostellarum
This is a pretty good book and is quite amusing besides. If you enjoy the Discworld series, you'll enjoy it. I do, particularly since the witches are my favourites. My favourite character in that whole series is Granny Weatherwax, though Death is a close second. This book is written in the voice of Nanny Ogg, and includes amusing (and doable!) recipes (I want to make the Rat on a Stick), as well as advice on etiquette which is for people who weren't nat'ral born with good manners.
Jess
Pratchett's book Maskerade, tells of the Witch Nanny Ogg creating a cookbok who's recipes ignite the passions (Nanny's a bawdy old goat, by the way). I thought this would be a playful recreation of the book in the story, but it's not. It's a collection of new stories and first person tales from the characters of discworld. There were recipes, good english standy-bys that are easy to make.
Dan Schul
This is very interesting and entertaining. The recipies in here are quite the laugh. I would not try cooking any of them. For giggles, I tried to cook the Rincewind Deep Fried Potatoe Cakes and I ended up with a nasty mess that ended up being fed to the dog, and I think he buried it in the back yard to get ride of it.

Anyways, very interesting if you are into Discworld.
John
Very uncommon for me, I actually laughed aloud while reading this book. Many times.

I think it is also notable for being a complete compendium of the only British foods that are actually palatable. Hell, I lived in England for a few years and I hadn't heard of most of these. He must truly be a great author indeed to convince people to like British foods.
Caroline
Here it is at last, the cookbook I've been waiting for. "Nanny Ogg's Cookbook" has it all; easy to follow recipes that have been amended so that you CAN actually cook them, and useful advice on etiquette. It is also very, very funny. I enjoyed it so much I think I might actually attempt to make "Mrs. Nobbs' Distressed Pudding".
Teatime
This is both hilarious and adorable. The art is exceptional and plentiful. The recipes aren't bad either, the ones that are actually edible anyway. Normally I'm a bit hesitant with books that are in many ways spin offs of a series. Thankfully this is just as good as the novels it came from.
Charlotte
I didn't care much about the cookbook part, and in fact felt a bit worn out reading it - except maybe for the Patrician's water and bread recipe - but I couldn't stop smiling after hitting the etiquette section. I raise my glass to you, Mrs Ogg.
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Page Count for ISBN 0739438220 2 10 Sep 29, 2013 08:51PM
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • Wish You Were Here
  • Legends 3 (Legends 1, Volume 3of3)
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • Snuff Fiction
  • After the King: Stories in Honor of J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Terry Pratchett
  • Knights Of Madness
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1955-1958
  • Stars and Stripes Triumphant (Stars & Stripes, #3)
  • The Boys' Book: How To Be The Best At Everything
  • The Tough Guide to Fantasyland
Sir Terry Pratchett sold his first story when he was thirteen, which earned him enough money to buy a second-hand typewriter. His first novel, a humorous fantasy entitled The Carpet People, appeared in 1971 from the publisher Colin Smythe. Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, including his first Discworld novel, ...more
More about Terry Pratchett...
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) Mort (Discworld, #4) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8) Night Watch (Discworld, #29)