Start by marking “Ab die Post (Scheibenwelt #33)” as Want to Read:
Ab die Post (Scheibenwelt #33)

Ab die Post (Discworld #33)

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  73,307 Ratings  ·  1,988 Reviews
Der Gauner Feucht von Lipwig wird dazu verdonnert, die heruntergekommene Post der Scheibenwelt wieder auf Vordermann zu bringen, denn im alten Postamt von Ankh-Morpork ruht die Arbeit seit vielen Jahren. Feucht ist dabei so erfolgreich, dass er sich den Zorn der Konkurrenz vom Großen Strang der Klacker zuzieht. Ein öffentlicher Wettstreit soll die Entscheidung bringen: „Po ...more
Published April 10th 2007 by Goldmann (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Ab die Post, please sign up.

John Kirk Angua turns up in wolf form (after the fire) but not in human form.

Angua turns up in wolf form (after the fire) but not in human form.

Miss Dearheart does speak briefly to Miss Maccalariat (p374 of my paperback edition), after Miss M complained about Moist's bad language.
"He was using it about the chairman of the Grand Trunk Company"
However, since they were discussing a man, that means that the book fails the test.

Personally, I don't see this as a problem, but your mileage may vary.(less)

Melki
Jan 09, 2015 Melki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The mail must get through!

He was part of the government, wasn't he? Governments took money off people. That's what they were for.

Turns out, years spent scamming and conning the public have excellently prepared Moist von Lipwig with the skill set needed to run a vast corporation.

Who knew?

My Discworld-reading for the Humour Club has had its ups and downs. Some books I loved, some bored me to tears, one I didn't finish. I thrilled to the adventures of the witches, laughed at the exploits of the Nig
This book was an excellent surprise; I love the Discworld series but was getting tired of seeing the same characters again and again in every book. But this book introduces an entirely new and refreshing cast of characters. I particularly liked the main character and felt he was very well-developed.

Pratchett's books are funny precisely because he has a very firm grasp of human nature. His best work feels surprisingly profound even though you're also laughing so hard you're afraid you might brea
E.H.
Jun 05, 2007 E.H. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: language and history geeks
Shelves: theboxmarkeddone
I picked up this book to read on a 15 hour flight from Chicago to Vietnam, on the assumption that it would be a light, pleasant way to pass the dreary hours (after one flight to China during which I watched the first X-Men film three times, I decided it was best to err on the side of having too many books rather than too few).

My assumptions proved correct, and I enjoyed the book quite thoroughly. Three things struck me:

1) Pratchett's use of language is always fun, and he occasionally makes wond
Nate D
Oct 16, 2008 Nate D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who refuse to read fantasy novels.
This was really surprising, actually. Perhaps it shouldn't have been, given how many people whose opinions I respect are Pratchett fans, but I haven't read a fantasy novel since giving up on Robert Jordan's painstakingly prolonged The Wheel of Time (somewhere in book 5, I think) long before college. Actually, I suppose I read a bunch of the Harry Potters in the interim, but in some ways that felt more like keeping up with pop culture than reading actual fantasy.

In any event, Going Postal was pur
Douglas Wilson
Jun 30, 2015 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I haven't read a lot of Pratchett -- I think this is only my second one -- but I do enjoy reading him for the color and the metaphor. The way he turns a figure of speech on the lathe will frequently leave you just sitting there in your chair with a table leg in your hand, and your wife says, "Hey, what's with the table leg." And I say, "I'm reading."
Eleanor
Dec 31, 2007 Eleanor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: satire / fantasy nerds
I am probably the last person on earth to read Terry Pratchett, but I'm glad I finally did. People have been recommending his books to me for years and although I had planned on starting with book 1, Color of Magic, the bookseller recommended I start with Going Postal instead (they were also out of stock of CoM). Every time I picked this book up I laughed out loud, it has a refreshing wit combined with a sharp perception of people and their funny habits. I ate this book up and bought copy of "Gu ...more
Suzanne
Feb 11, 2016 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”

This was really a funny, fun book. Lots of digs at corporations, lotteries, and just life.

“People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as "Is this the laundry?" "How do you spell surreptitious?" and, on a regular basis, "Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red cover and it
Cora Tea Party Princess
One of my favourite Discworld novels - although I'm sure I've said that more thank once.

The way terry Pratchett plays with worlds is great - it adds to the pace and humour of this hilarious novel.
Aug 14, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, discworld
What happens when Ventari becomes an angel and puts a con man in charge of the decrepit Post Office? Nothing one expects, of course.
--------------------------------------------

There was a silence. In that silence, Moist tried out a variety of responses, from "Pull the other one, it's got bells on" to "That's impossible", and decided they all sounded stupid. Groat looked deadly serious, so instead he said: "How?"
----------------------------------------------

There are many, many characters in the
Ron
Dec 06, 2010 Ron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Cute, but kind of stale--like Seinfeld. It's superficially funny, but you get the feeling it's been done before. Many times.

In light of 2008's financial crisis, Going Postal might be taken as a timely reminder of the fallibility of humans, especially those entrusted with wealth or power.
Kathleen
I have only read the Discworld books featuring the City Watch, and the related follow-up books featuring a spin-off character in this book, Moist Von Lipwig. That's because I'm afraid Pratchett's other books will not be my cuppa. As a writer, he walks a fine line, approaching my personal barrier — too much punnery and parody. I like the City Watch series (see Guards! Guards!) because Pratchett toes the line, proving parody in a neatly plotted mystery with the feeling of film noir, and I love the ...more
Sibilla
May 17, 2016 Sibilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prečets savā labākajā formā. Asprātīgi un smieklīgi par valsts iestāžu darbību, lielu pilsētu pārvaldīšanu, manipulēšanu ar cilvēkiem, reiderismu, eņģeļiem, kas parādās vienreiz mūžā, golemu attiecībām ar brīvo gribu, vēstuļu maģiju, klak torņu hakeriem, kniepadatu kolekcionēšanu, kaķu glābšanu no degošām mājām un, apžēliņ, cik daudz ko citu.
Nicole
Oct 03, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-satire
The length of time it took to read this book is not a reflection upon its quality. I just haven’t been very good at switching between books lately due to a number of distractions.
This one includes two things I have soft spots for: a talented con artist and the postal service.
As I’ve commented on in other reviews, such as The Lies of Locke Lamora, I’m fascinated by a well-executed con. Moist von Lipwig (one of Pratchett’s most deliberately awful character names) is one grade-A con artist. He bri
David
Feb 24, 2011 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so this wasn't brilliant or incredibly original or anything that a 5-star novel should normally be, but it was funny and fast-paced and hugely entertaining. Pratchett's Discworld, with its hodge-podge of technologies, cultures, and magic, into which he shoehorns whatever anachronistic notion works for the story, shouldn't work as well as it does, but somehow you suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the ride.

Starting with the cringeingly-named protagonist "Moist von Lipwig," Going Postal i
Alexandra
Aug 19, 2015 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Als ich vom Tod des Lieblingsautors meiner Studienzeit - Terry Pratchett - erfuhr, zog ich sofort einen der Schmöker aus meinem ansehnlichen Scheibenwelt SUB (Stapel ungelesener Bücher 23 gelesen/ 8 ausständig) hervor, und schwelgte im Andenken an den Autor.

Normalerweise ist ein Buch nicht gut, wenn ich allzulange zum Lesen benötige, diesmal stimmt aber meine persönliche Faustregel gar nicht. Mehrere Rezensionstermine und Lesegruppen zwangen mich, diese höchst vergnügliche Lektüre zu unterbreche
Jared
Apr 30, 2016 Jared rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Going Postal, the enlightened despot of Ankh Morpork, Lord Vetinari, rather forcibly recruits a con man, Moist von Lipwig, to take over the running of the venerable and deserted post office, where letters have been accumulating for years -- if not decades -- without delivery. Moist steps reluctantly into the moldy shoes of the Postmaster, only to discover that the previous three occupants of the position died grisly deaths in the execution of their duties (and I use the term "execution" advis ...more
Mary Catelli
May 15, 2015 Mary Catelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy, humor
A forger is trying to escape his cell before his hanging, and discovers it is carefully set up to look possible. So the next morning, they hang him, and the next face he sees is the Patrician's. Who gives him a job offer: to get the Post Office up and running again. He finds that it is stuffed with letters decades old, never delivered, and staffed by an old man and a young one who's obsessed with pins. And, it turns out, that several men have recently died in his post, and he's the rival of the ...more
Deborah Markus
Aug 06, 2014 Deborah Markus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was reading this to my son when that train crashed and burned in Quebec, destroying so much property and killing all those people. I watched the news and listened to the new owner of the company in question defend his methods of making more money by cutting expenses -- specifically, expenses like having two engineers on a shift when you could get away with only having one. In fact, it was probably safer to have just one person doing the safety check, because if there were two people, they were ...more
Rachel Hartman
Jul 27, 2011 Rachel Hartman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Just read this for a second time because I wanted to see how it would strike me after everything I've read in the intervening years. This was the book where I finally GOT Terry Pratchett; I had attempted to read some of his earlier books years before, but had found them impenetrable walls of jokes. Here, suddenly, I understood the person behind the humour, and I saw that he was a lot like me.

More later, as I have time.
Rachel
Mar 14, 2007 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: funny fantasy readers
Shelves: fantasysci-fi
Not as good as the other ones I've read, but maybe I'm ODing just a bit. Still awesome though. Very funny, and very well done. I like him a lot better than Neil Gaimon (don't kill me!).
Kaethe
January 1, 2008

I'm not sure what people are calling this particular subset of discworld novels, but I love them.

Personal copy
John Box
I dove blindly into the Discworld series with Going Postal, Book #33 of 40 (as of June 2015). I was a little concerned about not starting at the beginning, but since author Terry Pratchett himself recommended against starting with Book #1, and since several fans said that this relatively highly-rated installment was as good a place as any, I took the plunge.

From what I gather, Discworld is a medieval fantasy world with creatures like golems (giant, indestructible gingerbread men with eyes of fir
Amy
Feb 29, 2016 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club, fiction
Absolute pony.

I've lived my life up to now in blissful ignorance of Terry Pratchett and the Discworld series. It's only my devotion to Book Club that meant I finally faced my fears and got stuck in to this, my first – and probably last – Pratchett book.

The reason I've avoided the series for so long is because I had a strong suspicion I wouldn't enjoy it. I can at least now say I've tried and that my suspicions were right on the money.

The lighthearted tone made for easy reading, but I just cou
Richard
May 17, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, fantasy
8.5/10

My first real attempt at a Terry Pratchett novel. Quite a while ago I picked up Colour of Magic and read it intermittently without ever really getting into it or thinking it was anything too special. I was given Going Postal as a gift a couple of years ago and finally picked it up and attempted it due to my keenness to get into the Discworld series. I'm glad I did!

It's very different to the normal sort of crime/action books I read and I'm trying to broaden my horizons with different styles
Christina
Apr 23, 2009 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Letters want to be delivered - and if they don't, you can get some nasty surprises. Especially in the post office in Ankh-Morpork where letters haven't been delievered for years and years.. and are starting to talk...

So to solve this problem, the Patrician and tyrant Lord Vetinari 'hires' con-artist extraordinaire Moist von Lipwig to fix it. In this case, hires means that after Moist is hanged - and almost died from it - he get offered to fix the postal service - or die. So he has a choice to ma
Stephanie Ricker
Going Postal by Terry Pratchett is my very favorite Discworld novel so far. Pratchett, while always hilarious, sometimes feels a little scattered to me, but this book was cohesive, engaging, and gut-splitting. In between the hilarity (“The figure stopped to cough long and hard, making a noise like a wall being hit repeatedly with a bag of rocks. Moist saw that it had a beard of the short bristled type that suggested that its owner had been interrupted halfway through eating a hedgehog.”), the lu ...more
Steven Harbin
Con man Moist von Lipwig is about to be hanged for his various crimes, until Patrician Havelock Vetinari, tyrant of the Discworld city of Ankh-Morpork, gives him a new lease on life. He can hang (literally) or he can take over the defunct Post Office of Ankh-Morpork and use his considerable skills of persuasion and deception to fix things up postally. Just to make sure that von Lipwig doesn't go on the lam, he's given his very own Golem to watch over him and bring him back if he gets lost...

This
Mimi
Jun 23, 2016 Mimi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I loved this book and would say that it is one of my new favourites. This was my first Terry Pratchett book and certainly not my last.

The story was enjoyable and funny in places. Moist Von Lipwig, came as very clever and cunning. I liked how he could figure people out, Reacher Gilt being one of them.

Adora Bell Dearheart, was alright and I liked how she was with Lipwig. Even Reacher Gilt was alright despite him not being a good person.

There wasn't much that I didn't like about this story. Perhap
G.L. Jackson
Dec 16, 2015 G.L. Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Every time I read another book by Terry Pratchett, I'm in awe of his talent and imagination all over again. This is one of my favorites of his. Does it help if you're somewhat familiar with Discworld? Sure, but even if you're not, it's such a fun roller-coaster ride of a story. In lieu of reading reviews, just go read the book! It's so much fun.
Dee
Jan 01, 2012 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prompted by seeing the television version of Going Postal, I broke off my serious reading schedule to take a brief swing through the Moist books while the weather's so fiendishly hot that a) serious brainage is bad and b) reading the word "moist" every minute is faintly refreshing. Book so much better than TV, Richard Coyle notwithstanding.
Escape The Earth!: FWIW: Terry Pratchett Interview in NYT Book Review 1 4 Aug 20, 2014 01:08PM
La Stamberga dei ...: Going Postal di Terry Pratchett 2 20 Jan 16, 2013 12:01PM
  • They Came and Ate Us: Armageddon II: The B-Movie
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Barking
  • The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3)
  • On the Origin of PCs (The Order of the Stick, #0)
  • Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures (Zamonia, #3)
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • Legends 3 (Legends 1, Volume 3of3)
  • The Story of the Stone (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #2)
  • In the Company of Ogres
  • The Dirk Gently Omnibus
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 3: Agatha Heterodyne and the Monster Engine (Girl Genius #3)
  • A Civil Campaign (Vorkosigan Saga, #12)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)

“Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?” 648 likes
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?” 600 likes