Literary Knits: 30 Patterns Inspired by Favorite Books

Literary Knits: 30 Patterns Inspired by Favorite Books

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  21 reviews
More than 30 projects inspired by classic literature. Literary Knits features 30 knitting patterns inspired by beloved characters from classic books; from "Pride and Prejudice" to "Moby Dick, The Catcher in the Rye" to "The Chronicles of Narnia"--and many more in between.

Inspired by some of the most beloved characters from favorite books, including an elegant Daisy Cloche...more
Published November 1st 2012 by Wiley (first published October 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Literary Knits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Literary Knits

Melody
First off, you should know that I do not knit. I do, however, read books sometimes. That plus the lovely cover image inspired me to pick this up, and oh, I am heartily sorry I did. Because I want MOST of these literary-themed knits, and I haven't the first intention of learning to knit. The Galadriel dress is perhaps my favorite knit item ever in the history of knitting. But I also need Edmund's crown. And while I don't really need Anne's Puff-Sleeve sweater, I did burst into joyful laughter whe...more
Kathryn
Dec 20, 2013 Kathryn marked it as to-read
Shelves: crafts
Not that I know how to knit ;-) adding so I will remember to share with friends who do...
Kate
The cloche hat on the cover, inspired by The Great Gatsby, is certainly adorable, but I had some mixed feelings about the other patterns in the book. Not that they weren't cute, but that some of them were a bit of a stretch to connect to literary works.

Some of the better-connected patterns:
- fisherman's sweater (Moby-Dick; or, The Whale)
- the cockroach sweater (The Metamorphosis), this was I thought was very clever
- Lyra hood (The Golden Compass)
- mockingbird cardigan (To Kill a Mockingbird)
- E...more
Lindz
Excellent collection of knit patterns inspired by classic literature. I haven't knit anything from this yet, but I am poised to do so. Here are my notes from the read-through of the book:

* General instructions are clear and easy to understand. Her instructions on knot splicing saved my work on several instances already. The accompanying photos are clear and bright, and it's perfectly easy to make out each stitch.

* The patterns range from delicious (look at that hat on the cover! Look at it!) to...more
Mary
I wish I'd read this book before I did the last twenty or so questions I attempted on the never-ending-book-quiz... It would have improved my score markedly. I enjoyed the entries for each pattern very much.

Does it have enough patterns I would like to knit? Well maybe... some are nice, covetable even, especially the men's patterns and the children's patterns, but others, hmmm. It's nice to have a knitting book that broadens your mind and even the patterns do that, not to mention the models with...more
JennaL
My normal requirement for a craft project book is at least 5 patterns I want to make - this book?

Every single pattern is on my "must have" list - to the point that a great deal of my clothing budget has gone to getting the yarn required to start working my way through this excellent book. Has a great range - women's clothing I frankly covet, men's items that my husband will happily wear (including several I'll make for myself!) and lovely children's pattern that I'm eyeing to make now -before- w...more
Sara
This book looks like the author had a great time creating it. However, I didn't see anything that inspired me to knit. Too many of the women's patterns were a bit too frou-frou and feminine for my taste - I do not like the addition of ribbons in many patterns. I also do not enjoy looking at models with distracting tatoos. This is probably a sign of my age, but if the tatoo does not match the garment, it is off-putting to me. I have tolerance for tasteful (MY definition) tatoos that are not place...more
Leigh
My best friend got me this book for my birthday, and it is such a delicious treat. I've been a fan of Nikol Lohr for ages, and Literary Knits does not disappoint. There are so many patterns I'm dying to try (Meme Shawl, Jane Erye Shawl, Tess Fingerless Gloves...the list goes on). The instructions are easy to follow and I love the way she treats yarn recommendations, by offering yarn weight and brand, as well as ply and loft, for best results. There are even pictures of the yarn used for each pro...more
Mckinley
Fun idea, lots of variety for women, men and children with range of knitting skill needed.
Two stars because I wont be making any of these.
Jessica
I like the Lucy Honeychurch shawl & the Jane Eyre shawl.
Julie Bozza
Dec 25, 2013 Julie Bozza marked it as to-read
Shelves: from-bruce, knitting
A cool idea and a present from my husband: a book of knitting patterns inspired by literature!

Having had a bit of a leaf through it, the cleverest seems to be the 'Lyra Hood', inspired by The Golden Compass, which includes a little Pantalaimon daemon knitted into the lining just over the ear...
Annie
"Literary Knits" by Nikol Lohr combines the classics - classic books and classic knitting patterns with thirty patterns inspired by favorite books – Anne of Green Gables, Wuthering Heights, Madame Bovary and more. Inspired by characters from these classics, there are patterns for all ages and skill levels, for men, women and children.
This one-of-a-kind collection is a must-have for book lovers who knit and knitters who appreciate literary classics.
WifeMomKnitter
Feb 04, 2013 WifeMomKnitter rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters who love classic fiction
Shelves: library-book
I really want to add this book to my knitting book collection. So many interesting patterns inspired by literary fiction. I also liked the amount of instructions that included clear pictures showing the techniques being demonstrating.

I also liked that CraftLit Podcast (and Heather Ordover) was mentioned in conjunction with the Jane Eyre shawl pattern.
Mary
I thought this would be a win-win, I like to read and knit. The book seems to be in great demand at our library. It was a fun premiss and they used classic literature references however, there was nothing in it that I would care to knit! Except for a shawl and I haven't worn a shawl since the early 70's!
Syrena
The Gatsby inspired cloche and the Katie Rommely Gaiters (legwarmers) are both super cute but most of the other patterns I've seen over and over. However, the men's knits deserve an honorable mention! I loved them (and the models weren't bad either)
Marcy Polzin
A rare knitting book that contains interesting tidbits, knitting hints, and schematics of patterns that one would ACTUALLY want to knit! I went straight to Ravelry for the free patterns, but it's a book I would actually buy!
Kathryn
Oh how I wish I knew how to knit more than dish clothes and basic scarves. There is a Jane Eyre shawl that is wonderful, then there are Wuthering Heights bed socks that are scrumptious. This is a lovely book.
Leslie Jem
Full of excellent tips and tricks, as well as fun patterns. No space was wasted on basic knitting instruction.
Kim Withey
There are few patterns I don't like in this book. I'm very glad I bought it.
Very clever!
PWRL
Dec 15, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
O
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Starcie Burkett
Starcie Burkett marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
guiltlessreader
guiltlessreader marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Kim Forsythe
Kim Forsythe marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014