Working Space (Charles Eliot Norton Lectures) (The Charles Eliot Norton Lectures)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Charles Eliot Norton Lectures delivered at Harvard. Offers a critique of abstract painting that starts in the Renaissance and ends with Abstract Expressionism.
Paperback
Published July 1st 1986 by Harvard University Press

Pat
Jun 11, 2012 Pat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
These are Charles Eliot Norton lectures given by Frank Stella in 1983-84. There are always six lectures. This series is about pictorial space and it's evolution to abstraction. Beginning with Caravaggio where space in a painting is finally not defined by architecture and expands around, behind, and in front to include the viewer, to modern abstraction where the space is shallow, often defined by a single point of view.

Stella is sometimes hard to follow, at least for me Although he makes a lot o...more
Kim
When I was studying my MFA Frank Stella was a huge influence. I love this book and the whole sequence of ideas he shares about art making, PLUS the visuals of his sculptures. I still go to this book, 20+ years later, for inspiration and eye candy.
the Skrauss
This book made so little impression on my that I can only recall the images of Stella's protractor paintings, which I thought very little of.
Chris Lockhart
Frank Stella makes a lot of worthwhile and interesting statements, but reading this book was a chore.
Frightful_elk
Some insightful analysis of many painting conundrums, well worth reading, especially for abstract artists.
Vincent
A must read for artists and anyone interested in art from Caravaggio to graffiti art.
Bill Gusky
Sometimes maligned -- still a good read with insights worth considering.
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Godiva Reisenbichler
Godiva Reisenbichler marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Rachael Groombridge
Rachael Groombridge marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Anna G
Anna G is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2013
Jeanne Lamosse
Jeanne Lamosse marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2013
Scottz
Scottz added it
Mar 06, 2013
Jeff
Jeff added it
Dec 13, 2012
Jason DeFontes
Jason DeFontes marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2012
Trina
Trina marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2012
Mat Laporte
Mat Laporte marked it as to-read
May 19, 2012
Frank Stella: Schriffen/Writings Prints of Frank Stella: A Catalogue Raisonne Frank Stella: Illustrations After El Lissitzky's Had Gadya 1982-84 Frank Stella: The Waves: Exhibition 1-25 November 1989 Pictor Laureatus: In Honour of Frank Stella; With Drawings and a Collage