Start by marking “Naked Conversations: How Blogs Are Changing the Way Businesses Talk with Customers” as Want to Read:

From the creator of the number one business blog comes a powerful exploration of how, and why, businesses had better be blogging: Naked Conversations. According to experts Robert Scoble and Shel Israel, blogs offer businesses something that has long been lacking in their communication with customers -- meaningful dialogue. Devoid of corporate-speak and empty promises, busi ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by John Wiley & Sons (first published December 17th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Naked Conversations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naked Conversations

Jul 02, 2015 Ashwin rated it liked it
The book is about business blogging. It's written by the popular blogger Robert Scoble and Shel Israel. In the initial chapters, the authors talk about how blogging at M$ and Sun have changed the perception of the companies in the outside world. This has been true in my case. I see a more human M$ after becoming a visitor to Channel 9. Same at Sun, where thousands of employees blog, including Jonathan Schwartz. Apple and Google come out bad in the book, both for not allowing employees to blog ab ...more
Feb 11, 2008 Manda rated it really liked it
Naked Conversations isn't a book that tells you HOW to blog but instead gives you concrete examples of WHY to blog. It strips it down to its bare functionality explaining how blogs are changing the way businesses talk with customers. It describes in great detail how blogging can give you the opportunity to boost your credibility in a world that is becoming more and more cynical of traditional marketing and PR tactics. A good read for anyone in marketing but a MUST read for business owners thinki ...more
May 10, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it
Great book about how to use blogging in your professional life. I really enjoyed the authors' writing style - quite engaging. And I enjoyed all of the stories about businesses and organizations that are using blogging - the stories are very effective. I learned a lot of useful things that I'll take with me as I use blogging in my professional life, as a volunteer blog writer for my church.
Michael Coates
Nov 05, 2009 Michael Coates rated it really liked it
Robert & Shel's foray into the publishing world that helped propel them into the guru status they enjoy today. I'm not kidding, they both know their stuff and aren't afraid to tell you. I can say that because I consider them both friends. This book did start the serious look by business at the online world as a two-way dialogue, a trend that has only accelerated since then.
Sep 01, 2010 Krystal rated it really liked it
While this wasn't exactly what I was looking for, and is now a bit dated, I still found it a useful introduction to blogs in a business context and what a reader expects from an "official" blog from a company. It was also handy to have the early blogging "rules" laid out in an approachable read. Sort of like a cheat sheet for blogging beginners.
Sean Howard
Dec 20, 2008 Sean Howard rated it liked it
This is a very basic book in that it is meant for people unfamiliar with blogging and further I would say it is targeted at corporate side personnel interested in understanding the value or benefits of blogging.

A bit sensationalistic for my nature but a solid book in a space where there aren't too many resources.
Laura Cococcia
May 30, 2009 Laura Cococcia rated it it was amazing
Read this twice - a few years ago and then a few weeks ago. Israel definitely had a vision that was right on. I recently interviewed Israel, which you can see at:

His new book Twitterville will be out later this year! Can't wait.
Mar 20, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
This book is very informative about blogging. The downside is that being written in 2005, the information is now a little dated. While many of the principles remain the same, a number of tools and websites have emerged to help move the blog culture to an entirely new level.
Mar 08, 2015 Isabella rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Strano come i libri che si leggono per questioni universitarie siano sempre le letture più lente, eh?

Letto per raccogliere materiale per la tesi. Interessante e mi ha dato nuovi spunti! Sono abbastanza d'accordo con lo scrittore - rivedrei solo alcune questioni.
Teri Temme
Jul 15, 2012 Teri Temme rated it really liked it
"In this new era, companies don't win by talking to people. They win by listening to people as well." Well said. A little out of date now, written in 2006, but I am glad I read it. It was nice to learn about "the way it was". Interesting read.
May 25, 2009 Andy rated it liked it
In many ways this book may seem somewhat dated to those of us who (used to) blog (bt), but its focus is on why businesses should blog—and in my experience, is a must read for any marketing person working for a major US corporation.
Yuri Artibise
Nov 18, 2011 Yuri Artibise rated it really liked it
Interesting to see how much remains true, even 5 years after publication. Goes to show the blogs, like the rest of social media are simply tools and in and of themselves important. What is important is WHY we use them.
Sep 04, 2010 Renee rated it liked it
Good overview and what to think about when blogging. It is more for the newbie than anyone who has experience with it. I didn't learn anything earth shattering but it put it all together well.
Jul 15, 2008 Marie rated it did not like it
Though I got some helpful information from this overall I didn't like it; somehow it's just not an interesting read. I didn't finish it. I've found more helpful info ironically ...on blogs.
A good overview of blogging in the corporate environment. Easy to read. Not too detailed, but has good case studies/examples. (Nothing on government blogs, though.)
Nov 10, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
Anyone who is in a position to create a corporate blog, or responsible for monitoring what others say about a company in the blogosphere must read this book!
Craig Thomler
Dec 08, 2010 Craig Thomler rated it really liked it
Good, if now dated, view on the value of blogging to organisations. Has some good case studies, though a trifle evangelical in places.
May 28, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Although now outdated, a good look back at the early days of blogs. Social media has dramatically changed the landscape.
Mike Love
Aug 14, 2012 Mike Love rated it really liked it
The book to read on business blogging by the ex-MSFT The Scobilizer. Reading this book persuaded me to start blogging.
Bonita Rose
Jul 24, 2007 Bonita Rose rated it really liked it
great book all about the effects of blogging in the business world.. great read for the serious blogger!
Lost In A Fog
Feb 28, 2008 Lost In A Fog rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This already feels a bit dated, but it was one of the first manifestos on the power of the blogosphere.
Sep 10, 2008 Grant rated it it was ok
It read slightly better than a textbook. It, at least, kept my interest from beginning to end.
Lori Grant
An optional-read book for knowledge workers and entrepreneurs on concepts and social trends.
May 29, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it
To blog or not to blog... more importantly how to do it "right".
Stephen Evans
Everything you want and need to know about corporate blogging.
Ryan Jones
Apr 29, 2009 Ryan Jones marked it as to-read
I have it, but haven't gotten around to it yet,
Jessica Windham
Already a little outdated, great insight though
Kimberly Cain
Jan 01, 2010 Kimberly Cain rated it liked it
Helpful for learning about blogging.
Jun 13, 2011 cati rated it it was ok
was reading for sw work. just ok
This was my first book on social media
  • The Anatomy of Buzz: How to Create Word of Mouth Marketing
  • Twitterville: How Businesses Can Thrive in the New Global Neighborhoods
  • The New Influencers: A Marketer's Guide to the New Social Media
  • The Networked Nonprofit: Connecting with Social Media to Drive Change
  • Smart Mobs: The Next Social Revolution
  • Twitter Power: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet at a Time
  • Open Leadership: How Social Technology Can Transform the Way You Lead
  • The Cluetrain Manifesto
  • Putting the Public Back in Public Relations: How Social Media Is Reinventing the Aging Business of PR
  • Say Everything: How Blogging Began, What It's Becoming, and Why It Matters
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • The Whuffie Factor: The 5 Keys for Maxing Social Capital and Winning with Online Communities
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business
  • Marketing To The Social Web: How Digital Customer Communities Build Your Business
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • The Wikipedia Revolution: How a Bunch of Nobodies Created the World's Greatest Encyclopedia
  • Hug Your Haters: How to Embrace Complaints and Keep Your Customers