Start by marking “Much Ado About Grubstake” as Want to Read:
Much Ado About Grubstake

Much Ado About Grubstake

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Grubstake is a grubby down-on-its-luck mining town filled with grubby down-on-their-luck miners. So when a decidedly nongrubby city slicker shows up and offers to buy the tapped-out mines, the miners are sorely tempted. But not Arley, the brash sixteen-year-old girl who runs the boardinghouse. No, Arley smells a rat. What could some fancy-britches rascal want with empty mi ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Much Ado About Grubstake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Much Ado About Grubstake

I loved this! I got it from the book fair and I loved how it was about mining and jewels. It was also cool because their wasn't a sherriff in their town. I especially loved the ending. When Morgan was about to ask Arley to marry her and then her friends came in and interrupted them.
Madison Chabot
I loved this book, it was sweet, funny, and slightly mysterious. Ya, it was a very used idea, but with a twist all belonging to jean. I really liked the dogs, Orville and Wilbur, and Morgan. This book holds a place on my bookshelf and in my heart.
Scout The Dog
Why isn't there a second one?
Oct 17, 2012 Matea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 1-12
AUTHOR. HUMOR. Much Ado About Grubstake by Jean Ferris is a typical, amazing, Ferris book. Humorous, romantic, fairy tale-esque. When a newcomer comes into a town of 62 people, everyone is curious. When said stranger wants to buy their mines that have held nothing for many years, some people start to get suspcious, especially becuase of the enormous amount of money the stranger is paying. So Arley, a young business owner starts investigating. And she may just end up saving her town from an evil ...more
Melissa Dwyer
Originally rated A by Terri Squeglia
Arley is a sixteen year-old independent young woman who runs a dilapidated boarding house in the town of Grubstake, Colorado. She is also the owner of a mine, which her late father left her. This once booming mining town is now a ghost town of sixty-eight inhabitants. The mines have dried up and most of the miners have left the town. Enter Mr. Lockwood, a stranger dressed in black who rides into town on a black horse. This slick city character offers to pay bi
As always, Jean Ferris is witty and fun. The western setting was quite enjoyable, and Arley is great- with her runaway imagination and love of penny dreadfuls... Though the basic plot may not be the most original, this is just a easy to read, harmless romance with western flair.
Just like all of Jean Ferris' books, Much Ado About Grubstake was funny and memorable. The adventure had me on the edge of my seat, the characters made me need to hug something hard, and the book was read cover to cover... then turned over and read cover to cover again.
Sonja Cole
May 17, 2009 meeners rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
i love jean ferris! each new book just confirms this.
Feb 19, 2009 sapphire rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like comedy
I looooooooovvvvvvved it
I enjoyed it.
Synopsis: Our main character, a 16 year old girl who's been on her own as owner and manager of a boarding house for two years in a depressed mining town, is highly suspicious of the fast talking stranger who shows up offering to buy all her friends' mines. Then a second stranger appears - tall, dark, and handsome, seemingly right out of one of her "penny dreadfulls" - and makes everything more complicated still.

I read this in the middle of the night while up with my new daughter, so suffice to
Julie Lence
Mar 18, 2010 Julie Lence rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle school girls
Shelves: extras
I'm almost to the half-way point of this book. I saw it at the book fair at my son's school and bought it because I'm always on the look-out for anything western related that I might be able to use for research and terminology at a later date. While I orginally thought this was a 5th grade level book, (and children's books offer nore than you would think in the way of research and terms) I've come to the realization this book is more middle school age appropriate. While the plot isn't that diffi ...more
Jenna Meillure
I liked that this book had a treasure mine, a small western town in the middle of nowhere, a girl living in a mini hotel/room-ish place, plus a mysterious guy. And was really surpirsed that it had a bit of romance in it, too.
The plot was great, but it didn't really feel like 1888. The historical aspect was not very well defined as if not for the fact that you know that it takes place during the Gold Rush, you couldn't tell when it was.
After her father's death, Arley inherits at the Never Mine and boarding house in Grubstake. Practically a ghost town, with only a population of 62, most of the townsfolk packed up and left their empty mines in search of greener pastures. Then a stranger comes to town and wants to buy up everything to build a resort. Arley doesn't believe his intentions and starts to investigate for herself.

This mystery has humor, a little romance and since it is set in 1888 in Colorado it reads a bit like a wes
I am on page 32 chapter three. I just started this book and it good so far. Right now this stranger just came into town and he is going to hold a meeting so I'm excited to know what the meeting is about. I have finished the book and after a lot of snooping and hidding they find out who the stranger is and why he is here. The stranger is here to buy the mines. Some people have sold them to him. Arley has to try to figure out why he wants the mines and she needs to drive him out of town so he will ...more
Sharon Davies
Cute. Good for lit circle for more adv readers at fourth grade.
Graceanne Hoss
Amazing. I have read it over seven times and still enjoy it!
A charming book about a mining town named Grubstake, Colorado. I liked Arley Pickett and the mysterious black-clad stranger...and the dogs - Wilber, Orville, Muggs and Brute. However, I don't think there was much in the book to warrant it as Young Adult, unless it was tagged as such because Arley was the sixteen-year-old protagonist. But, I did like the book and could easily see myself reading Penny Dreadfuls by the handfuls until the next train brought in more...and letting my imagination get t ...more
Arley is the 16 year old owner of a gold mine that she won't go into and a boarding house for the gold miners who don't have enough money to leave the town. The highlight of her life is the arrival of the monthly train so she can replenish her stock of penny dreadful books. When two strangers come to town and start stirring thing up, she feels that she is right in the middle of a story from one of her books. A fun book to read!
Kiirsi Hellewell
This book from an author I love started out okay, got good in the middle, then really fizzled out at the end. It felt so much like a 2-D book...full of flat characters, a boring plot, and too much stereotypical western melodrama. I did like the main character and her friends but things worked out so easily and unbelievably in the end that I didn't feel much like cheering for the "good guys."
It was so cute and cliche! One of the best old west romance/mystery books I've read!(But then again this is the only one I've read) I think the characters were pretty good in this, the plot was alright, but a bit predictable.
And take the saying "don't judge a book by its cover" literally, and totally ignore what's on the front!!
This was a fun read. Definitely for the middle school audience as the plot was not extremely involved, but it was fun with some interesting characters and some funny situations. I love books set in the old west and this was right there!
Thomas Swayne
Personaly i really disliked this book. I got to page 66 in three weeks because i never ever wanted to read it after the first chapter. Its probably a good book to some people but i guess i am not a person for realistc fiction.
I thought this book was very well done. I was so happy that it didn't have the junk (whether it's crappy writing, or a bad story line, or too much lovey dovey stuff) a lot of YA books have in them.
Melanie Vanhorn
I enjoyed this book, as it was a great blend of romance, and a little of history all rolled into one. THe ending was a bit vague, and I would have liked more.
Sep 17, 2008 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who enjoyed Once Upon A Marigold
Cute! It definitely reminds me of Once Upon A Marigold, which I loved. It seems to have the same feel and voice. I really enjoyed it once I got into it.
A very easy read that I only read when I'm bored.What Charles Randell wanted to do wasn't really a mystery though.The plot needed something else.
This was a quick read that was a little different for me. It had a little mystery. My one complaint is where in the wild west does it rain every day.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Around the World in 100 Days
  • No Place Like Holmes (No Place Like Holmes, #1)
  • Into the Firestorm: A Novel of San Francisco, 1906
  • The Misadventures of Maude March (Maude March Misadventures #1)
  • A True and Faithful Narrative
  • The Secret Prince (Knightley Academy, #2)
  • Watcher in the Piney Woods (American Girl History Mysteries, #9)
  • The Softwire: Wormhole Pirates on Orbis 3
  • The Mystery of the Missing Heiress (Trixie Belden #16)
  • Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Free Throws
  • The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit (Randi Rhodes, Ninja Detective, #1)
  • Betrayal (Lady Grace Mysteries, #2)
  • The Mummy's Curse (Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers, #13)
  • Feud (Lady Grace Mysteries, #6)
  • The Remarkable & Very True Story of Lucy & Snowcap
  • Red Moon at Sharpsburg
  • Star in the Storm
  • Black Duck
This author is not afraid to tackle difficult subjects: living with a deaf parent (Of Sound Mind), facing the consequences of a criminal act (Bad), or questioning one's sexuality (Eight Seconds). But Jean Ferris is also adept at writing comedy, historical fiction, and romance. What's most interesting is that she didn't publish her first novel until she was in her mid-40s. Yet she's never forgotten ...more
More about Jean Ferris...