Start by marking “Much Ado About Grubstake” as Want to Read:
Much Ado About Grubstake

Much Ado About Grubstake

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  249 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Grubstake is a grubby down-on-its-luck mining town filled with grubby down-on-their-luck miners. So when a decidedly nongrubby city slicker shows up and offers to buy the tapped-out mines, the miners are sorely tempted. But not Arley, the brash sixteen-year-old girl who runs the boardinghouse. No, Arley smells a rat. What could some fancy-britches rascal want with empty mi ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Much Ado About Grubstake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Much Ado About Grubstake

Alex
Nov 26, 2008 Alex rated it it was amazing
I loved this! I got it from the book fair and I loved how it was about mining and jewels. It was also cool because their wasn't a sherriff in their town. I especially loved the ending. When Morgan was about to ask Arley to marry her and then her friends came in and interrupted them.
Madison Chabot
I loved this book, it was sweet, funny, and slightly mysterious. Ya, it was a very used idea, but with a twist all belonging to jean. I really liked the dogs, Orville and Wilbur, and Morgan. This book holds a place on my bookshelf and in my heart.
Scout The Dog
Jul 01, 2013 Scout The Dog rated it really liked it
Why isn't there a second one?
Matea
AUTHOR. HUMOR. Much Ado About Grubstake by Jean Ferris is a typical, amazing, Ferris book. Humorous, romantic, fairy tale-esque. When a newcomer comes into a town of 62 people, everyone is curious. When said stranger wants to buy their mines that have held nothing for many years, some people start to get suspcious, especially becuase of the enormous amount of money the stranger is paying. So Arley, a young business owner starts investigating. And she may just end up saving her town from an evil ...more
Melissa Dwyer
Jun 02, 2015 Melissa Dwyer rated it it was ok
Originally rated A by Terri Squeglia
Arley is a sixteen year-old independent young woman who runs a dilapidated boarding house in the town of Grubstake, Colorado. She is also the owner of a mine, which her late father left her. This once booming mining town is now a ghost town of sixty-eight inhabitants. The mines have dried up and most of the miners have left the town. Enter Mr. Lockwood, a stranger dressed in black who rides into town on a black horse. This slick city character offers to pay bi
Aug 18, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
As always, Jean Ferris is witty and fun. The western setting was quite enjoyable, and Arley is great- with her runaway imagination and love of penny dreadfuls... Though the basic plot may not be the most original, this is just a easy to read, harmless romance with western flair.
CJ
Jan 19, 2013 CJ rated it it was amazing
Just like all of Jean Ferris' books, Much Ado About Grubstake was funny and memorable. The adventure had me on the edge of my seat, the characters made me need to hug something hard, and the book was read cover to cover... then turned over and read cover to cover again.
Sonja Cole
May 30, 2009 Sonja Cole rated it it was amazing
meeners
May 17, 2009 meeners rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
i love jean ferris! each new book just confirms this.
sapphire
Feb 19, 2009 sapphire rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like comedy
I looooooooovvvvvvved it
Squeaky
Mar 06, 2013 Squeaky rated it liked it
I enjoyed it.
Tristan Smith
Feb 10, 2016 Tristan Smith rated it it was amazing
This book has a special place in my heart. I read this book when i was a bit younger. and loved it. But i decided to re-read it. This book is about a down on its luck mining town called Grubstake. The residents are mainly miners. But something is in their mines that they don't know about. A man in all black shows up named Morgan. The book follows Arley, A boarding house owner. She rents him a room and starts snooping around. With her dogs constantly ruining everything she does. She finds out tha ...more
Jessica
Jan 09, 2016 Jessica rated it liked it
3.5 stars, actually. Highly improbable, but sweet and fun story about a tiny mining town where everyone is down on their luck. The real treasure here, though, is the cast of lovable characters Ferris has created. The women are strong, fierce, kind, and noble. The men are endearing and entertaining. Great story with just enough grit for its intended young audience. And there are plenty of doughnuts.
Annette
Dec 10, 2010 Annette rated it liked it
Synopsis: Our main character, a 16 year old girl who's been on her own as owner and manager of a boarding house for two years in a depressed mining town, is highly suspicious of the fast talking stranger who shows up offering to buy all her friends' mines. Then a second stranger appears - tall, dark, and handsome, seemingly right out of one of her "penny dreadfulls" - and makes everything more complicated still.

I read this in the middle of the night while up with my new daughter, so suffice to
Julie Lence
Mar 18, 2010 Julie Lence rated it liked it
Recommends it for: middle school girls
Shelves: extras
I'm almost to the half-way point of this book. I saw it at the book fair at my son's school and bought it because I'm always on the look-out for anything western related that I might be able to use for research and terminology at a later date. While I orginally thought this was a 5th grade level book, (and children's books offer nore than you would think in the way of research and terms) I've come to the realization this book is more middle school age appropriate. While the plot isn't that diffi ...more
Jenna Meillure
Sep 25, 2014 Jenna Meillure rated it really liked it
I liked that this book had a treasure mine, a small western town in the middle of nowhere, a girl living in a mini hotel/room-ish place, plus a mysterious guy. And was really surpirsed that it had a bit of romance in it, too.
Apr 21, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
I read this because I thought it was a Western remake of "Much Ado About Nothing." It wasn't. Quite. It was more like a remake of the Penny Dreadfuls the heroine likes to read. Enjoyable, rollicking, mid-grade Western.
Lanie
Apr 13, 2014 Lanie rated it liked it
The plot was great, but it didn't really feel like 1888. The historical aspect was not very well defined as if not for the fact that you know that it takes place during the Gold Rush, you couldn't tell when it was.
Kelly
Jun 11, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
After her father's death, Arley inherits at the Never Mine and boarding house in Grubstake. Practically a ghost town, with only a population of 62, most of the townsfolk packed up and left their empty mines in search of greener pastures. Then a stranger comes to town and wants to buy up everything to build a resort. Arley doesn't believe his intentions and starts to investigate for herself.

This mystery has humor, a little romance and since it is set in 1888 in Colorado it reads a bit like a wes
Katie
Dec 12, 2010 Katie rated it it was ok
I am on page 32 chapter three. I just started this book and it good so far. Right now this stranger just came into town and he is going to hold a meeting so I'm excited to know what the meeting is about. I have finished the book and after a lot of snooping and hidding they find out who the stranger is and why he is here. The stranger is here to buy the mines. Some people have sold them to him. Arley has to try to figure out why he wants the mines and she needs to drive him out of town so he will ...more
Sharon Davies
Jul 09, 2014 Sharon Davies rated it liked it
Cute. Good for lit circle for more adv readers at fourth grade.
Graceanne Hoss
May 19, 2014 Graceanne Hoss rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
Amazing. I have read it over seven times and still enjoy it!
Liz
A charming book about a mining town named Grubstake, Colorado. I liked Arley Pickett and the mysterious black-clad stranger...and the dogs - Wilber, Orville, Muggs and Brute. However, I don't think there was much in the book to warrant it as Young Adult, unless it was tagged as such because Arley was the sixteen-year-old protagonist. But, I did like the book and could easily see myself reading Penny Dreadfuls by the handfuls until the next train brought in more...and letting my imagination get t ...more
Cass
Feb 17, 2012 Cass rated it really liked it
Arley is the 16 year old owner of a gold mine that she won't go into and a boarding house for the gold miners who don't have enough money to leave the town. The highlight of her life is the arrival of the monthly train so she can replenish her stock of penny dreadful books. When two strangers come to town and start stirring thing up, she feels that she is right in the middle of a story from one of her books. A fun book to read!
Kiirsi Hellewell
Jul 14, 2010 Kiirsi Hellewell rated it liked it
This book from an author I love started out okay, got good in the middle, then really fizzled out at the end. It felt so much like a 2-D book...full of flat characters, a boring plot, and too much stereotypical western melodrama. I did like the main character and her friends but things worked out so easily and unbelievably in the end that I didn't feel much like cheering for the "good guys."
Hannah
Jun 20, 2012 Hannah rated it really liked it
It was so cute and cliche! One of the best old west romance/mystery books I've read!(But then again this is the only one I've read) I think the characters were pretty good in this, the plot was alright, but a bit predictable.
And take the saying "don't judge a book by its cover" literally, and totally ignore what's on the front!!
Denise
Dec 07, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. Definitely for the middle school audience as the plot was not extremely involved, but it was fun with some interesting characters and some funny situations. I love books set in the old west and this was right there!
Thomas Swayne
Nov 02, 2011 Thomas Swayne rated it did not like it
Personaly i really disliked this book. I got to page 66 in three weeks because i never ever wanted to read it after the first chapter. Its probably a good book to some people but i guess i am not a person for realistc fiction.
Stephanie
Feb 08, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very well done. I was so happy that it didn't have the junk (whether it's crappy writing, or a bad story line, or too much lovey dovey stuff) a lot of YA books have in them.
Melanie Vanhorn
May 24, 2011 Melanie Vanhorn rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, as it was a great blend of romance, and a little of history all rolled into one. THe ending was a bit vague, and I would have liked more.
  • No Place Like Holmes (No Place Like Holmes, #1)
  • Around the World in 100 Days
  • Into the Firestorm: A Novel of San Francisco, 1906
  • My Chocolate Year: A Novel with 12 Recipes to Make Your World a Little Sweeter
  • A True and Faithful Narrative
  • Watcher in the Piney Woods (American Girl History Mysteries, #9)
  • The Misadventures of Maude March (Maude March Misadventures #1)
  • The Mystery of the Missing Heiress (Trixie Belden #16)
  • The Secret Prince (Knightley Academy, #2)
  • The Softwire: Betrayal on Orbis 2
  • Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Free Throws
  • Betrayal (Lady Grace Mysteries, #2)
  • Games
  • Bayport Buccaneers (Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers, #16)
  • The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit (Randi Rhodes, Ninja Detective, #1)
  • The Remarkable & Very True Story of Lucy & Snowcap
  • Maggie's Dare: The Great Awakening
  • Francie
This author is not afraid to tackle difficult subjects: living with a deaf parent (Of Sound Mind), facing the consequences of a criminal act (Bad), or questioning one's sexuality (Eight Seconds). But Jean Ferris is also adept at writing comedy, historical fiction, and romance. What's most interesting is that she didn't publish her first novel until she was in her mid-40s. Yet she's never forgotten ...more
More about Jean Ferris...