Start by marking “Butterfly Revolution” as Want to Read:
Butterfly Revolution

William Butler

Butterfly Revolution

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  391 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Welcome to High Pines Summer Camp for Boys. There is hiking, swimming, canoeing--and a revolution led by General Frank. He promises change for the better, but little by little, he begins to change, and the revolution turns into a nightmare....
Mass Market Paperback, 221 pages
Published April 12th 1986 by Ballantine Books (first published July 12th 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Butterfly Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Butterfly Revolution

Erin
True confession time: this book got on my radar after watching an exceptionally bad '80s movie adaptation of the story called Summer of Fear. However, I saw that movie fresh off of reading Lord of the Flies and it made an impression. I never was able to find a copy in my public library and it was out of print for ages, so I just happened upon it this past year when it became available through PaperbackSwap.com.

Was it worth the wait? Yes and no.

Butterfly Revolution is built on a great concept:
Annalisa
I have a hard time separating this book from my own literary and emotional development. While most people were required to read Lord of the Flies, I was required to read this book. I liked it better than Lord of the Flies because it doesn't have the duex en machina ending. As a thirteen-year-old, the book left a deep impression on me, but that may be because it was more intense in content than anything else I'd read. To this day, there are '80s pop songs that put me right back into how I felt wh ...more
Cindy
Bryanna
This was a required book, and after reading it, I could tell why some schools conviently decided to leave it out of their curriculum. If I haven't added it to my Won't Be Reading Again list, remind me to.
Printable Tire
Jan 04, 2009 Printable Tire rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults
This book was terrible and an obvious rip-off of Lord of the Flies. I don't remember why it was terrible, but I remember it WAS terrible. And the movie's not much better, but it IS better.
Leonard Pierce
Passable "Lord of the Flies" knockoff with most of the ethical speculation removed, and one of the few young adult novels I've read not as a young adult.
Paul Dubuc
"Lord of the Flies" was better.
Renee
I may be one of the only reviewers of this book who read this as an adult. I don't know if I'll have a different take on it, but unlike many reviewers who immediately compare it to Lord of the Flies, I actually feel it's more similar to Catcher in the Rye. Yes, a camp is taken over by kids who promptly lose control, and yes there is death; but to me the book was really about a kid who is trying to find answers and meaning in a world that is quickly losing any semblance of sanity. The main charac ...more
Carly
Oct 27, 2008 Carly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
This was a clear cut "3 star" book until the last 80 pages or so, and then it was so good I just couldn't (well, didn't want to) put it down.

It is the story of a group of boys at camp, who decide that they do not want to be told what to do anymore. Very Lord of the Flies-esque....but I think this one might even be better?

The narrator is Win, a book nerd (woo!) who is reading about the political philosophies of Thorough, Mill, Jefferson...and Marx, which gets him labeled as a communist.

Really g
James
This novel is the tale of a revolution where the kids take over a Summer Camp. Filled with a political commentary, it tries to be like Orwell's 1984 or Animal Farm. The cover says that Butler "avoids being overshadowed by...Orwell." Bull. It was OK, but just OK. It's a little too heavy-handed with the allegory and even throws in that the main character carries a book of political philosophy and starts quoting from it. If you really like Orwellian-style fiction like me, it may be worth a read, bu ...more
Ben
I thought that this was a great book. This book was a little slow to start but I couldn't put it down towards the end. Great character development, awesome plot, fleshed out, and a striking concept made even more striking in the fact it is actually possible of happening, this book is great for anyone who likes reading about revolution. My only gripe is that it's diction could have been more interesting. It used a lot of bland words. Other than that this is an excellent read for anyone interested ...more
Whitepixels
Similar to Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, or 1984. Teenagers in a summer camp get bored by the childish and repetitive activities and decide to take things in their hands - locking away teachers and introducing a military-like leadership, aspiring for an utopian and fulfilling holiday. However, problems appear and things head for tragedy very soon. An amazing book with lots of questions about politics, religion, and society.
Sean Moore
Mrs. Thomas, my 10th grade English teacher, pulled this off the shelf and asked me to read it--just me. There was a teacher who truly knew me. I'm not sure whether this is a take on Animal Farm, Won't Get Fooled Again, or just life in general. Nerdy kid goes to camp, other kids decide to take over camp from adults, things go fine at first but quickly deteriorate, cops and parents show up ...
Jack Gillespie
Great book; same genre as "Lord of the Flies" if you like that type of book. Scary to think of what young people are capable of and how quickly things can really get out of control because of the power of a bad influence. Suggested by my 7th grade Literature teacher and I really enjoyed the book.
La Donna
This is a bizarre journey of teenagers thinking they can do just as well as adults. Truly a revolution. I read it when I was 12. I don't know anyone, outside of family, who has read it. It is probably out-of-date now. I find it in the library every now and then. ahhh, the 70's.
Amy
Sep 06, 2012 Amy rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Jon
Recommended by my husband as it made an impact on him when he read it in high school. Re-read 20 years later, he admitted it wasn't what he remembered. I was only able to get 1/3 through before setting it aside.
Trisha Owens
This was a good book...probably not as well known as others like it, such as Animal Farm or Lord of the Flies. This tale is similar in many ways, but nonetheless, has a message for us all within its pages.
natalie
this book was a boring book that i just couldn't understand the point of because of all the chaos that went on. it was definitely not the worst book i've ever read,but not as interesting as others
Mike Shippee
This was my go-to book grades 6-8 whenever it became time to choose your own book to do a report on. It's Lord of The Flies set at an American summer camp.
Ericha Loch
A fairly average interpretation of Lord of the Flies. Barely brushes the surface orf political and social theory (even for a young readers book).
Gena Lott
Many have compared this book to "The Lord of the Flies" but it was neither that caliber nor that haunting.
Eli
This book immediately became one of my favorites. Very relatable to my own childhood in a small sense.
Megan
Lord of the Flies at summercamp. Actually, I liked this much better than Lord of the Flies.
Arthur Sperry
I read this in Junior High and never forgot it. A great book on how a Revolution goes wrong.
Zunpip
... reading for school, so far I don't think it is right to read to bored 12-15 year olds...
Lady Shahrizai
It was too long ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember. All I know is that I liked it.
Tyler
A well written book that is as gripping and creepy as Lord of The Flies
Christa
This book is just amazing. I loved it so much, I could read it over and over.
kira
A selection from the syllabus of Mrs. D'Agostino's 9th grade English class
iStanski
Was one of the first English language books I read in my life.
  • Beat the Turtle Drum
  • Mardi Gras Mambo (Scotty Bradley, #3)
  • She Ain't Heavy, She's My Mother: A Memoir
  • He's The One
  • The Body Is Water
  • Misadventures in the 213
  • Stain of the Berry (A Russell Quant Mystery, #4)
  • Аутопсия на една любов
  • The Lavender Menace: Tales of Queer Villainy!
  • Mahu Vice (Mahu Vice #4)
  • In September, the Light Changes
  • The Trouble Boy
  • Bless the Beasts and Children
  • Showdown
  • The Boy Who Couldn't Fly Straight (The Broom Closet Stories)
66 Days Adrift: A True Story of Disaster and Survival on the Open Sea The Butterfly Revolution Oblivion The Visit The House at Akiya

“Nothing stands still. Things are either... ” 1 likes