Start by marking “I'm Not Crazy Just Bipolar: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
I'm Not Crazy Just Bipolar: A Memoir

I'm Not Crazy Just Bipolar: A Memoir

An informative yet humorous look at life with manic-depressive illness.
Published November 1st 2010 by Authorhouse (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Not Crazy Just Bipolar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Not Crazy Just Bipolar

Heather
May 27, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Okay, I loved this book. I devoured it. Wendy was so brutally honest, it was so refreshing to have honesty served up to me like that. She didn't need to embellish things, there is nothing fancy about this book. But it's real, it's raw. It came to me by chance at a time in my life when I needed it more than anything, and it gave me the belief that I could & would get better, that you have, or suffer from an illness/disease. You do NOT become that disease. You do not sign away your personality ...more
Amanda Markham
Jun 02, 2012 Amanda Markham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

If you want to meet someone who's bipolar -just like you- or you're wanting to understand what it's like to be bipolar, this readable and honest book is for you. Note that it's about bipolar I not bipolar II.
Kim Schultz
Jun 24, 2011 Kim Schultz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I'm Not Crazy Just Bipolar skillfully weaves together several levels of a young woman's life...[it] is, like its title, an assertion that a life touched by bipolar disorder is still a life with its own logic. The book does a great job at describing that logic for the uninitiated, giving many examples of the compromise that everyday life demands from someone whose manic tendencies are constantly leading them to fly too close to the sun."

-NAMI, The Advocate, Winter 2011.

Wow, a wonderful insider
Jim Reaugh
Oct 08, 2012 Jim Reaugh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So very honest was this book, at times I found it very hard to read. There...I said it. Well done Wendy..you made me laugh & cry! What a journey.

Anyone that is struggling to cope and find their way through the machinations of this disorder will appreciate your candid life story. This took a lot of courage & strength to complete, but if it helps only one person, then it is has accomplished so much. I know it will help many.

I feel this book will also help many who support 'biploarians'(did
Kenny
May 25, 2013 Kenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was diagnosed with bipolar when I was 17 and though I'm not severe like Wendy here, I was happy that I could relate to her. It helped me understand why I acted the way I did sometimes.

This is a really great read for those who have bipolar or know someone who has it. It's something that you should read all the way through. Be glad it's really easy to read through. For being something that most people write textbook about bipolar, Wendy makes it personal by telling her story, with facts about b
David
Jun 13, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I read this book to try to help understand what a family member is going through. I could have done without some of the details of her crazy antics in favor of more helpful information about what works or does not work in controlling this condition. Maybe it has more meaning to someone who also suffers from being bipolar.
Lara
Jan 03, 2013 Lara rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, biography
A fascinating insight into how this condition has affected the life of the author and her family. This book is incredibly honest. I am inspired by Wendy's desire to get well and stay well; her story shows what a battle it is to do what she knows she needs to do - lots of sleep, no alcohol, limited caffeine. While this can be a battle for many of us, for Wendy the consequences are extreme and much more immediate than they are for most people.

At times I did find the book was uncomfortably honest -
Lori H.
May 25, 2014 Lori H. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read!

I highly recommend this book to any person or caregiver of a person suffering from bipolar disorder. The book is well written, balanced, and doesn't represent bipolar disorder from a radical, extremist way. The author gives us an inside view of her life with bipolar disorder that any person living with this disease can relate to. After all the hard work the author put in I was so happy to see her find peace and wellness in her life.
Stacey Glaesmann
Dec 31, 2012 Stacey Glaesmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With Bipolar Disorder running through my family, I am always trying to find ways to understand what it's like to deal with this degenerative disease. Williamson describes her ordeals with mental health, substance abuse and memory problems due to ECT very clearly. if you're interested in learning more about the disease, definitely read this one.
Tracey Tooley
May 30, 2012 Tracey Tooley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books-read
This book was excellent!! I have read a couple of books about bipolar disorder, but this one has come the closest to explaining how I feel. Fortunately, I do not have any addictions to go along with it. The way she was able to explain her highs and lows was was amazing!! First time I ever felt like someone else understands me.
Sheri
Mar 13, 2013 Sheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a good interesting read full of lots of interesting info that certainly could help if you know someone who is bipolar
Poppy Holmberg
Dec 08, 2012 Poppy Holmberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastically written and a very honest and open account of a very troubled life with a great outcome
Monica Rich
Mar 19, 2016 Monica Rich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow... just wow...

I have never read something that felt so personal. I have had some very similar experiences, and it makes me look back on a very promiscuous time and think that maybe I don't have to feel the need to constantly put myself down about it. It happened and it's over and I'm just trying to move on from that. I learned that although the stigma is very strong you might just end up with a few people brave enough to tough it out with you. I have hope for a better future for myself.. thi
Karen Mayes
It's a really good book... written by a bipolar, sharing her experiences with manias and depressions. The ending states that bipolar people HAVE to work at keeping their disorder under control... as long as they work at it, it becomes easier in time.
Caren Keller
While not the best written the story is compelling and must have taken great courage to write and publish
Nicole
Apr 10, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting memoir, but it felt a little too rushed. The prose could have been more polished, but I guess it matches the author's crazy life.
Paola
Paola rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Kbm110
Kbm110 rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Pauline Allan
Pauline Allan rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Chris Moss
Chris Moss rated it liked it
May 01, 2013
Larry/Mary Drown
Larry/Mary Drown rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Adrienne Leyland
Adrienne Leyland rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2014
Alyson
Alyson rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Nanette Rodgers
Nanette Rodgers rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Linda-Arlene Hoxit
Linda-Arlene Hoxit rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2017
Sarah rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2017
Sóley Kristbjörg
Sóley Kristbjörg rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2017
Anna Nicholls
Anna Nicholls rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • My Kind of Crazy: Living in a Bipolar World
  • Welcome to the Jungle: Everything You Wanted to Know about Bipolar But Were Too Freaked Out to Ask
  • Perfect Chaos: A Daughter's Journey to Survive Bipolar, a Mother's Struggle to Save Her
  • Why Am I Still Depressed?: Recognizing and Managing the Ups and Downs of Bipolar II and Soft Bipolar Disorder
  • Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder: Understanding and Helping Your Partner
  • Navigating the Space Between Brillance and Madness: A Reader and Roadmap of Bipolar Worlds
  • The Third Sunrise: A Memoir of Madness
  • Detour: My Bipolar Road Trip in 4-D
  • Where Are the Cocoa Puffs?: A Family's Journey Through Bipolar Disorder
  • Mom's Crazy: Her Bipolar Memoir
  • Ben Behind His Voices: One Family's Journey from the Chaos of Schizophrenia to Hope
  • Letters from a Bipolar Mother (Chronicles of A Fractured Life)
  • The Dark Side of Innocence: Growing Up Bipolar
  • The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know
  • Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified: An Essential Guide for Understanding and Living with BPD
  • Will's Choice: A Suicidal Teen, a Desperate Mother, and a Chronicle of Recovery
  • Wish You Were Here: Travels Through Loss and Hope
  • Scattershot: My Bipolar Family

“The artistic bend is a sell-out. It's all truth, or it's no good. EIther write what's in the heart, all of it, the good, the bad, the ugly, the uglier, the privat and even more private and it's a book worth reading. Not willing to go there? Do yourself and the world a favor: Don't write it until you're ready to do so. Only then is it your truest artist being heard. And only then will the world want to hear what you have to say."

-Wendy K. Williamson 9/25/14”
0 likes
“There were a lot of shoulds that I did, or tried to, make happen. While they sounded reasonable, when you added them up and threw in a touch of paranoia, it could no longer be labeled ambition. Intertwined with all of those shoulds were the ever present addictions that had always plagued and followed me.” 0 likes