Start by marking “Abide with Me” as Want to Read:
Abide with Me

Abide with Me

In this novel inspired by Wuthering Heights, a small town bad boy forged by the fires of Afghanistan returns home, still burning with a romantic obsession nothing can quench.

As the fog lifts one morning, a lone soldier is walking home. Who is he? The sleepy, gossipy tow of Hoosick Bridge, Vermont had forgotten him, but it will soon remember. He is Roy Murphy, returning to
Published March 5th 2013 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Abide with Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abide with Me

Sheri
Mar 22, 2013 Sheri rated it really liked it
I loved this book. What girl doesn't love a bad boy in high school? (Or in later years, for that matter) He's the one that will tear at your heart strings' memory long after you've grown up.... and wondered "what if"
This book caught my eye the second I read that it is Sabin Willett's reinterpretation of Withering Heights, one of my top ten all time favorite books that I've ever read. And I watched the movie several times and it is weoll done.
Roy is a boy who grew up in the trailer park and Emm
Karen Schwind
May 05, 2013 Karen Schwind rated it liked it
Abide with Me, Sabin Willett's fourth novel, tells the story of Roy Murphy, a boy from the Park--as in trailer--who falls in love with Emma Herrick, the beautiful daughter of an old-money family living in a mansion called the Heights in Hoosick Bridge, Vermont. After what Emma calls a summer interlude with Roy, she goes to Yale while he goes to Afghanistan. Much of the novel is told as back story moving between Roy, Emma and the townspeople who watch them come together, fall apart and come back ...more
Illyria Nightshade
May 26, 2013 Illyria Nightshade rated it did not like it
There really should be an "attempted to read" category, when it comes to books like this. Touted as a modern-day retelling of Wuthering Heights I was intrigued to say the least, as Emily Bronte's classic masterpiece is still a personal favorite (both in book and several film versions). Roy Murphy (the equivalent of the beloved brooding Heathcliff) is nothing like his sensual 18th century counterpart. I didn't even read much into the story of Emma (the equivalent of Cathy) because, quite honestly ...more
Lisa
Mar 31, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
Overall Abide with Me by Sabin Willett was a nice change from the usual "romance" novel. Written by a man, it focuses on the young life of Roy Murphy, a dark, passionate, quiet young man who was born on "the wrong side of the tracks" but falls in love with the most beautiful, intelligent and prominent young woman in town. They first become friends in the summer of seventh grade; then later get together for a hot summer of romance and passion the year Emma Herrick graduates from high school and b ...more
Sierra Ferrante
Mar 14, 2013 Sierra Ferrante rated it really liked it
Shelves: firstread
Roy Murphy and Emma Herrick had a forbidden love forged by a childhood friendship that blossomed into so much more. As teenagers the love was powerful and romantic and troubled - Roy came from the wrong side of town and Emma's family could never approve. When Emma goes off to college and Roy goes off to war, her parents heave a sigh of relief at the end to the romance, but to Roy his past romance is a light he holds onto. As they part, Emma hands Roy a chain with a good luck charm on it to keep ...more
Carrie
Feb 01, 2013 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own-it
I’m not really sure what I want to say about Abide with Me. Going in, I knew that it was a retelling of Wuthering Heights and that I was in for a tragic love story.

I knew the main character was a returning war veteran but I didn’t realize how much the war was going to play a part in this book. As a military brat I was fairly familiar with the military jargon and etc but certain details were a little bothersome since I currently have a family member deployed. I personally devoured this book but
Susan
Mar 15, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I recieved this as a first-reads giveaway. Thank you for the chance to read and review. I hate to give a not so great review to a gift but that's just how this one has to be.

This is a retelling of Wuthering Heights. Unlike the classic this one is hard to follow. The dialog in the begining is the worst. Very hard to understand and almost impossible to follow. We don't know whats going on at all for the first quarter of the book. Very choppy. Even the last few pages at the end leave you wondering
Stephanie
Jul 12, 2013 Stephanie rated it liked it
Aprilj328
Roy Murphy returns to his small town in Vermont after serving in Afghanistan. While he tries to build a new life he is unable to forget Emma, the girl he left behind. This is a story of obsession and class differences. I did not like the structure of the story --it jumped back and forth too much. I think the author was trying to build suspense by telling the story but details would be missing and then we would jump back in time to build background and then jump forward again. It was frustrating. ...more
Stephanie
Jul 22, 2013 Stephanie rated it liked it
A fairly captivating and original story without dwelling too long on anything that would have become boring or unpleasant to read. Manages to portray a vet from Afghanistan, complete with illustrations of the time he served overseas, without turning into a war novel. I didn't realize this was a "reinterpretation of Wuthering Heights" until I read the back cover when I was about halfway done with it - I only wish I had read Wuthering Heights first (I hang my head in shame at never having read it, ...more
Charlene
Apr 02, 2013 Charlene rated it it was amazing
Abide With Me is the tragic love story of Roy and Emma - Roy, a boy from the wrong side of the tracks who's just come home from Afghanistan, and Emma, the girl who had it all, the beautiful star of Hoosick Bridge's first family. I loved this book, every single aspect of it - from the middle school forbidden romance, through a war laced with poetry, back home again, near and far, together and apart. I've seen this book touted as a modern-day Wuthering Heights, which I've never read. And now I'll ...more
Jill
Apr 05, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it
I picked this up because it looked like a good option, then realized that it is a modern take on Wuthering Heights. The gothic elements are pretty strong (almost overpowering), and as is true in most gothic literature, the force of the dark characters is nearly overwhelming. The good is too good, and the bad is too bad. But, the author adds both enough twists and suspense to make it very readable.

However, she overuses similes and metaphors so much it is oddly distracting. No really. It's weird.
Kelly B
May 06, 2013 Kelly B rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
I loved this book! Roy Murphy is a soldier serving in Afghanistan who returns home in pursuit of the girl he left behind. That one-line description in no way does the story justice! There is so much more to this story and it's characters. I found it to be full of suspense and intrigue, along with the romantic elements of a heartbreaking love story. I loved everything about this one, from beginning to end. Couldn't put it down! Highly recommend.
Jessica Mixon
Mar 06, 2013 Jessica Mixon rated it really liked it
Loved this book! I think the narration style was my favorite part. Although hard to follow at moments, I loved the language, the pace, the flashback within flashback within flashback, the flawed characters, everything. It almost felt like prose from a poem. Also, am I pulling at straws or did he name characters after the Brontë sisters and other authors from that time? Heartbreaking at times but great story. Loved it.
Mom Shaw
Aug 24, 2014 Mom Shaw rated it really liked it
If you have read and like wuthering Heights you will like this book it is a tragic love story of love, pain, hurt and how if we are not careful in our fight to make everything right we make everything miserable for us and the people around us. there is no room in life for revenge, or turn back the clock. we have to move forward the best we can and see the good.
Melissa
Dec 15, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
This book is pretty bad--particularly the second half. Flat, unbelievable characters, contrived plot, terrible depiction of female pov, etc. Just discovered from reviews that it's supposed to be a re-telling of Wuthering Heights, which you could just read instead.
May 29, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
This book was very complicated! I was rooting for Roy the whole time.. that love and life would find him and he would get the peace he deserves... his hard work, fairness, perseverance, longing was endearing.
Mar 13, 2013 Sarah rated it did not like it
i wasn't really feeling this book, maybe at some other time I will try to read it again but it was jumping around so much i was not enjoying it. I don't want to say this book is bad, just that it wasn't my style, at least not right now.
K. Taggart
Oct 19, 2014 K. Taggart rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. There are several poor reviews here on Goodreads, which is too bad. This novel is worth reading again to savour the author's style. I also enjoyed the fact that the plot does not simply reproduce Bronte's novel.
Nancy
Mar 31, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
I didn't get the reference to Wuthering Heights until the end of the book... it read like a Nicholas Sparks novel yet I couldn't help getting caught up in the love story...would recommend it for that. Also the poetic references.
Jodi
Sep 20, 2013 Jodi rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Brandy Mason
Jul 29, 2013 Brandy Mason rated it did not like it
I really wish there was a "tried to read" option for books. That's where I would have filed this one. I just couldn't get into this book, and I really wanted to. The story just jumped around to much from the present, to the past, to other people's perspective. I just couldn't keep up.
Nancy
Oct 14, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
This is a dark romantic novel. Long after a summer romance between star-crossed lovers from divergent socio-economic classes, a soldier returning from Afghanistan is on a mission to prove his worth.
Annemarie
the flopping back and forth was confusing at times for me, I wanted so much to love this but meh it was taking me to long to get into it..
Joe Wilson
Jul 10, 2013 Joe Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it, especially the chapters set in remote Afghanistan. The plot kept me riveted and the ending was a surprise. I want to read more by this author
May 21, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
If you liked Wuthering Heights, you will like this book. It was a bittersweet story of young stubborn love and pride.
Anne
May 12, 2013 Anne added it
Shelves: dnf
Started, but only read to page 20 or so before I put it down. Not connecting with the story or characters.
Sherri Dunne berendt
Sherri Dunne berendt rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Atuitel
Atuitel rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Mrs. Lieutenant: A Women's Friendship Novel
  • High
  • Go Nuts! The Texan Pecan Cookbook
  • Pirates of the Danube: The Erotic Adventures of Pepper MacOralby
  • The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)
  • Girls & Monsters
  • My Next Step: An Extraordinary Journey of Healing and Hope
  • The House on Butterfly Way
  • The Summer of Lost Soles
  • Be That Girl: Ignite Your Passion Organize Your Life & Embrace Freedom!
  • Billy Bob Walker Got Married
  • Mama's Child
  • Dancing to the Flute
  • The Lordlings of Worship and their Catastrophic Mindrides
  • What a Son Needs from His Mom
  • Divine Secrets of the Ta-Ta Sisterhood: Pledging the Pink Sorority
  • An Unproductive Woman
  • How to Talk Minnesotan: Revised for the 21st Century
Peter Sabin Willett, known as Sabin Willett, (born March 6, 1957) is an American lawyer and novelist, a partner with the Boston law firm Bingham McCutchen, previously called Bingham Dana. He lives near Boston, Massachusetts. His is perhaps best known as a defense lawyer for U.S. prisoners at the Guantanamo Bay detainment camp, including Adil Abdulhakim.

More about Sabin Willett...