Start by marking “Field of Vision” as Want to Read:
Field of Vision

Wright Morris

Field of Vision

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Winner of the National Book Award "Wright Morris seems to me the most important novelist of the American middle generation. Through a large body of work --which, unaccountably, has yet to receive the wide attention it deserves--Mr. Morris has adhered to standards which we have come to identify as those of the most serious literary art. His novel The Field of Vision brillia ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 251 pages
Published by Signet (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Field of Vision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Field of Vision

Miriam
I thought the narrative got progressively weaker. At first, I could find differences between the various characters as the omniscient narrator takes turns on their views and experiences. McKee at the beginning is not particularly likable, but he's a recognizable fellow: a narrow-minded, small-town guy who finds derisive humor is everything different from him, except his friend Boyd, whom he worships. As time goes by, the characters lose their distinctness and it's more the narrator's voice as he ...more
Judy
Sep 07, 2010 Judy rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who want to get through all the NBA winners.

The National Book Award winner for 1957 was a challenging read. The entire story, such as it is, takes place during a bullfight in Mexico. I have yet to read a bullfight story I liked. Most of the book consists of flashbacks concerning the people involved in the life of a man names McKee. For the entire first half of it, I was not completely sure who anyone was.

Each character is a variation on eccentricity and most of them live in Omaha, Nebraska, though off the beaten path of mainstream Americ
Rachel
1957 National Book Award winner. I liked it at first, but soon got tired of the frequent shifts of perspective and of one character's use of "bullfight as metaphor for his life." Blame Hemingway if you like, but using bullfights as a metaphor for anything strikes me as boring. Even though it was only 250 pages, it felt overlong.
Caroline
A book about transformation, the past and the present. I loved the structure and the prose.
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Kathleen Benanti
Kathleen Benanti is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2015
Andrea Homier
Andrea Homier marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Loida Pan
Loida Pan marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Logan Carroll
Logan Carroll marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Lisa Arechiga Danner
Lisa Arechiga Danner marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Dave
Dave added it
May 27, 2015
Tori Prince
Tori Prince marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Matthew Bradham
Matthew Bradham marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Sal
Sal marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Leetta Christensen
Leetta Christensen marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Andrew Morehead
Andrew Morehead marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Myles
Myles marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Fred Louie Pacatan
Fred Louie Pacatan marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Wright Marion Morris was an American novelist, photographer, and essayist. He is known for his portrayals of the people and artifacts of the Great Plains in words and pictures, as well as for experimenting with narrative forms.
Morris won the National Book Award for The Field of Vision in 1956. His final novel, Plains Song won the American Book Award in 1981.
More about Wright Morris...
Plains Song The Home Place Ceremony in Lone Tree Love Among the Cannibals Will's Boy: A Memoir