Start by marking “Doctor Who and the Tomb of the Cybermen (Target Doctor Who Library)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who and the Tomb of the Cybermen (Target Doctor Who Library)

Doctor Who and the Tomb of the Cybermen (Doctor Who Library (Target) #66)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Novelization of the Doctor Who TV episodes/story of the same name.

The once-feared Cybermen have disappeared from the universe without trace. An expedition from Earth arrives on Telos — homeworld of the Cybermen — to try and discover exactly what has become of the silver giants.

Soon after the Doctor, Jamie and Victoria join the archaeological party, the first mysterious dea
Mass Market Paperback, 141 pages
Published May 1st 1983 by Target Books, W.H. Allen (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who and the Tomb of the Cybermen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who and the Tomb of the Cybermen

Doctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Gareth RobertsDoctor Who by Trevor BaxendaleDoctor Who by Gareth RobertsHuman Nature by Paul Cornell
Best Doctor Who Books
60th out of 201 books — 166 voters
Doctor Who-Attack of the Cybermen by Eric SawardDoctor Who by David BanksRobopocalypse by Daniel H. WilsonDoctor Who and the Tomb of the Cybermen by Gerry DavisDoctor Who by Marc Platt
Unwilling Roboticisation list
4th out of 29 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Otherwyrld

This is a novelization of a 4 part story that first appeared in 1967 and featured the 2nd Doctor with companions Jamie and Victoria. I was too young to see that at the time of screening (I would have been 4 years old), but as one of the few complete 2nd Doctor stories left, I would have seen it when it was reshown (possibly as late as the 1990s). I have fond memories of this one being very creepy and suspenseful despite (or maybe because of) the poor picture quality of this serial. It was the fi
stormhawk
The Target Doctor Who novelizations are ostensibly children's books. Older children, but children still ... but surely children's books don't use words like "truculent" or "incredulous?"

Children's books tend also be be lacking in reflections on loss and longing, yet I find them here.

Greed and human frailty drive the story, but human strength and resilience lead to it's resolution.
Mary
This is a follow along with Paul's Blog. Pop over there. His reviews are usually in much more depth.

I was looking forward to this one. I hadn't read it before and it's one of my favourite stories. Luckily I had missed the hype before I saw it.

The pedant in me was dismayed by the wrong Cybermen on the cover. I'm very fond of the very early Cybermen and they shouldn't be airbrushed out!

I have heard that there are slight updates in the Target novel to update it for a more modern audience. Since we'
Samuel
BBC have been adding in sound effects to enhance the readings of these classic novels. Michael Kilgarriff however, perhaps not knowing this, added many of his own sound effects along the way. I think fans will indeed find some amusement in this.

The harmonizer settings for the Cybermen voices are right in step with the Spare Parts audiodrama from Big Finish...I suspect this is quite intentional.

This is one of the great tales from the classic series...and as with many of them...most everyone is de
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/1028958.html?#cutid2[return][return]I have been unimpressed by Davis' previous Cyberman books, which were nothing like as good as my fond memories of them. But in this case, writing up what is certainly the best Cyberman story, Davis rose to the occasion and produced what is probably the best Cyberman book. He even succeeds in injecting Victoria with some gravitas, making her both courageous and assertive in total contrast to her screen character (he makes her blonde a ...more
Julian White
Good novelisation of the script, with only one or two minor odd bits/inconsistencies
Steven
Poor novelization, lackluster story.
Mel
I think this was much better than the average target novelisation. The author really tried to get into people's heads more. He also tried really hard to question some of the sexism of the original. It was lovely to see Victoria as the 19th century girl question the attitudes towards women of these men from the future. The scene between her and the doctor when they talked about death and family was also much more touching.
Jef With One F
Gerry Davis adapted his own script for this novelization, and it just really doesn't work. Davis looses so much of Troughton's Doctor in prose, and consistently manages to drain the life out of scenes that were brilliant on screen. What can be said for the book is that like "The Underwater Menace" book form does wonders for the setting. The Tombs sound better than they ever looked.
Daniel Kukwa
Most of fandom's rosy memories of "Tomb of the Cybermen" -- prior to its re-discovery in 1991 -- come from this excellent novelization. The feeling of certain doom that runs through the book makes it a much darker story than what newcomers will find on DVD. Definitely up there with "The Highlanders" as one of Gerry Davis' better prose efforts.
Travis
A good, straight forward story with a bunch of people stuck somewhere and trying not to get killed by the Cybermen.

The TV show captured the 'we are all trapped' vibe better than the book and the character bits between the Tardis crew worked better on the show, but it was a fun way to pass an afternoon.
Leela42
Second Doctor, Victoria, Jamie. Gives a lot of characterisation to the Doctor, Victoria, and Jamie. Unusually true to the episode's dialogue. One of the rare writers who acknowledges Victoria's scientific and technical background, depicting her as naive but quick and resilient.
Anandh Sundar
Opening a tomb has always been grist for mystery writers and this book follows that. The Cybermen were thought dead but a human being is trying to reactivate them. The Doctor must foil the plan. Written wll
Steve
Top quality Troughton Target. Great atmosphere, pretty true to the TV story. Pure nostalgia.
SImon Clover
SImon Clover marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
MyWhovianLab
MyWhovianLab marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Brendan Wakeman
Brendan Wakeman marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Diogo
Diogo marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Ruchi
Ruchi marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Fred
Fred marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Guess Again
Guess Again marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Aryel
Aryel marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Zuli Bryan
Zuli Bryan marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
  • Doctor Who and the Cave-Monsters
  • Doctor Who and the Genesis of the Daleks
  • Doctor Who and the Ark in Space
  • Doctor Who And The Daemons
  • Doctor Who and the Masque of Mandragora (Target Doctor Who Library, No 8)
191652
Gerry Davis was a British television writer, best known for his contributions to the science-fiction genre. He also wrote for the soap operas Coronation Street and United!.

From 1966 until the following year, he was the script editor on the popular BBC science-fiction series Doctor Who, for which he co-created the popular cybernetic monsters known as the Cybermen, who made several appearances in th
More about Gerry Davis...

Doctor Who Library (Target) (1 - 10 of 156 books)
  • Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen (Doctor Who Library Target, #1)
  • Doctor Who And The Android Invasion
  • Doctor Who and the Androids of Tara (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Ark in Space
  • Doctor Who and the Armageddon Factor (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Auton Invasion
  • Doctor Who and the Brain of Morbius
  • Doctor Who and the Carnival of Monsters
  • Doctor Who and the Cave-Monsters
  • Doctor Who and the Claws of Axos (Target Doctor Who Library)
Doctor Who and the Tenth Planet (Target Doctor Who Library) Doctor Who and the Cybermen (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 14) Doctor Who: The Highlanders (Target Doctor Who Library, No 90) Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 111) Doctor Who: The Scripts: The Tomb of the Cybermen