Rex and the City: A Woman, a Man, and a Dysfunctional Dog

Rex and the City: A Woman, a Man, and a Dysfunctional Dog

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Lee and Ted are a young, hip New York City couple living together in New York City whose lives consist of nothing but cool work assignments, long lunches, and evenings out with their equally hip and trendy friends. But, not yet feeling quite equipped for life or love, they’re vague about plans for “the future.” “Our relationship is like a French movie,” Lee tells a friend....more
Published April 4th 2006 by Villard

To ask other readers questions about Rex and the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rex and the City

Peggy
Rex and the City is the story of what happens when you adopt a dog without thinking about it first. If you expect the perfect dog you certainly won't get one.

Rex is a spaniel mix adopted from the shelter. His owners think that he will be the perfect dog for them. They find out that he has been permanently scarred by his previous life. He is not the sweet cuddly dog they wanted. He is the exact opposite: standoffish, grumpy, destructive, hard headed and able to the most inapproriate acts at any...more
Emily Williams
Loved this book! It is heartwarming and funny. I actually liked it more than "Marley and Me" (not as sad!) It has a great website, http://www.rexandthecity.net/ that has information about the author, her columns and adopting shelter dogs in general. If you like dog memoirs, you should definitely read "Rex and the City"!
Lee Harrington

In this humorous, moving, intelligent and startlingly original memoir, critically-acclaimed author Lee Harrington shares her story of love, loss, dysfunctional relationships, and the shelter dog who put things right. In 1997, Lee and her then-boyfriend Ed were on the verge of breaking up. Money was tight, their careers were floundering (Lee was an aspiring novelist: Ed was an aspiring documentary filmmaker) and their personalities, frankly, did not mix. Plus, they lived i...more
Shonna Froebel
This charming memoir about a woman, her boyfriend and the dog they adopt together from a shelter is a touching one. They had both been talking about getting a dog for quite a while. On impulse they stopped one day at a shelter, and the rest is history. Her boyfriend, Ted, felt a connection to the dog when he saw it at the shelter. The shelter hasn't given them any information on the dog, so they don't know what it has been through previously, but are pretty sure it must of been abused from the w...more
Donna Sadd
5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT-Regardless of typos & redundancies, March 18, 2012
By Donna L. Sadd (Kempner, Texas United States) - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Rex and the City: True Tales of a Rescue Dog Who Rescued a Relationship (Kindle Edition)
The author tells us in advance that this is a compilation of a story that she wrote (for Bark Magazine) over time, so evidently one has to expect redundancies (though I'm not in love with typos I soon go...more
Jean
Charming and witty writing. Interesting to learn so much about living in NYC. But most of all I shamelessly admit I found it wonderful to learn how much in love the author is with her rescue dog - JUST LIKE ME!!!
Anne-Kathrine
Kindle
Holly
Eh, at best. It's a good dog book but nothing compared to 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' though. I particularly found the editing (editor or writer are fault?) to be a hinderance while reading. Oftentimes I would stumble over typographical errors, word repetition or missing words. It's just plain annoying. This was the Kindle edition, so perhaps the editor didn't feel it necessary to correct these issues?
Margaret
This was really amusing - I'm not sure who was more dysfunctional - Rex or his owners. Luckily, they all got better in time for a happy ending. It was also interesting to read the challenges of having a dog in New York when you live in a tiny apartment - my Sadie is really spoiled with her backyard to romp in and chase the birds. I really enjoyed this book - very fun to read!
Amber
I adore this book and recommend it frequently. In fact just lent out my first read copy for a friend to read. You will laugh-out-loud and touching without being ultimately heartbreaking as so many dog stories are i.e. Marley and Me. ("you know you're a New Yorker when...") got a bit old. Overall a wonderful book. It's a quick read too perfect for the beach.
Lee Harrington
An excellent book--fun, fast read. Hilarious humor. If you love dogs, or love cities, you'll love this book. Bark magazine called it "hands-down the best human-with-dog memoir you'll ever read, and I agree. This one has the most energy of all the other dog-oirs I've read in the past months. Someone should turn this into a movie!!!
Linda
This was a delightful, sometimes heartbreaking, story of a rescue dog and his family. It got a bit tiresome ("you know you're a New Yorker when...") in spots but it was right on when it came to describing pet owners. We all become obsessed with our pets, a fact that one who is not a pet owner would not understand.
Hilary Graham
Lee Harrington's memoir is a beautifully written and sharply crafted piece of literature. And there's a dog in it. Don't get me wrong: the book is about a dog. But even as a non dog person (don't shoot me!) I found myself fully enthralled by this tragically funny tale.
Daelith
When I first started this book, I was thinking these people really don't need to own a dog. Thankfully, by the end of my book, they changed my mind. I think their dogs are very fortunate to have them as owners and I'm especially grateful that they adopted a rescue.
Teresa
I took my time reading this one. The auther is fun, witty, expressive and descriptive in her narrative of Rex's behaviour. I too can NOT wait for the sequel. In looking at her website I can't tell if Rex or her boyfriend are still with her?? Can anyone else?
Christie
I really liked this memoir because it reminded me of our experience adopting our shelter dog. We too expected her to be grateful and loving, and instead she was a terror! The details of getting settled with the new dog are funny and real!
Inder
Aug 04, 2007 Inder rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dog lovers
I loved this book. It's so funny, I found myself laughing outloud on my BART commute. And as the proud owner of a crazy, rescued pit bull, I certainly relate to the struggles and hilarity of taking in a dysfunctional dog.
Gwen Owen
I adore this book and recommend it frequently. It's laugh-out-loud funny and touching without being ultimately heartbreaking as so many dog stories are. Highly recommended for dog lovers everywhere.
Lynn
Nov 10, 2008 Lynn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a light read and laugh
first discovered this writer from the excerpts printed in BARK magazine. fun, witty, silly adventures of a woman, her boyfriend and the dog they adopt from a shelter. learning to live with one another in NYC
Jen
Loved it! This book was a great read and especially enjoyable for people who love dogs AND New York City, of which there are a few. million. if not more. Read it!
Kathy
Actually, I hesitated giving it 3 stars. It went on and on and her relationship and thoughts about the dog were ridiculous after a while. I didn't finish it.
Mary
Keeping it real, Lee chronicles the good, the bad and the ugly of the adoption of Wallace, the rescue dog she and her boyfriend chose to fill their lives.
Cindi Dimichele
Read through Kindle lending library. If purchased, I'd have asked for my money back. This was riddled with errors, and also often repetitive.
Margaret
Zarela
Nov 01, 2007 Zarela rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers
I wouldn's say this is a great book, but it's a nice story about a shelter dog and how it changes the lives of a couple.
Kirsten
i still want a puppy--but maybe a little less than before (which is good...i guess)
Lori
This was a funny, light read. Being a dog-lover, I highly enjoyed it.
Judy
Funny account of a dog's adoption and his fanatical owners.
Audrey Lucero
Hilarious boo that dog lovers will enjoy.
Long considered the first and foremost author of the "dogoir" movement, LEE HARRINGTON has inspired, mentored, and edited some of the most prominent dog writers of our day. She serves as a literary editor, columnist, and book reviewer at Bark Magazine and has been named the "Best Humor Writer" by the Dog Writers' Association of America. Her hugely popular and influential column "Rex and the City"...more
More about Lee Harrington...
Rex and the City: True Tales of a Rescue Dog Who Rescued a Relationship Dog is My Co-Pilot: Great Writers on the World's Oldest Friendship Dog is My Co-Pilot Brevity and Echo: An Anthology of Short Short Stories