Start by marking “Wilt In Nowhere (Wilt, #4)” as Want to Read:
Wilt In Nowhere (Wilt, #4)
Preview

Wilt In Nowhere (Wilt #4)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  877 ratings  ·  47 reviews
In Tom Sharpe’s fourth uproarious Wilt novel, the indefatigable Henry Wilt embarks on the voyage of a lifetime — a cross-country trip through England, without map or compass, carrying little more than a backpack and the boots on his feet. A week later sees him drunk and unconscious in the back of an arsonist’s pickup truck. His trip goes even further downhill from there un ...more
Published July 4th 2004 by Hutchinson (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Wilt In Nowhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wilt In Nowhere

Diskojoe
Tom Sharpe is usually compared with Wodehouse & Waugh, but I think I see a lot more Waugh than Wodehouse. For one thing, there's no real snap in the language as compared to Wodehouse & Henry Wilt is just not as warm a character as Bertie Wooster. As I said before, this is a lot closer to Waugh in a modern setting.
Mr Writer
Not as good as 'Wilt', because there was less of the man in it.
Sameera Malinda
This is the forth book of the Wilt series by Tom Sharpe. As usual Henry Wilt faces absurd & outrageous problems which at the same time are of his making & beyond his control. Namely an aristocratic pervert, his lover, greedy wife of a shadow cabinet minister who is an ex-prostitute & the combine forces of British & American police. Author Tom Sharpe uses Wilt to expose the farcical realities in small town to hilarious effect.

This time around Wilt goes on a walking trip around his
Gary M.
There are many kinds of heroes - there are the strong silent types as personified by the characters John Wayne used to play, the good/bad guys like Han Solo and Batman, the suave action men such as James Bond and Simon Templar, and then there's, er - Henry Wilt. A true champion for our troubled times, a small man biting back at bureaucracy and the insanity of modern life.

This is the first Wilt novel in over twenty years and although not quite as laugh out loud funny as the original trilogy featu
David Roberts
I am reviewing the novel Wilt In Nowhere which is an excellent comedy novel which I bought from Amazon. This novel is part of the Porterhouse Blue series of novels & doesn't have a great plot but has loads of humor and is very funny. It reminds me a little bit of Terry Pratchett doing the Discworld where of course to a greater extent plot is sacrificed for the sake of humor. I think Tom Sharpe died recently which obviously has rekindled interest in his books. Of course Porterhouse Blue & ...more
Astragen

description

The guy died recently and I got my hands on the last Wilt book while on holidays.

It's my first Tom Sharpe novel and I had great fun with the less salubrious side of the English language lol.

The plot seems to be slightly unsatisfactory in that it come to no real conclusion, but that does not matter because, the path to get there it's more important than the point of arrival.

I found myself laughing out loud with absurdity of the situations, although one also feels that, under certain circumstanc
Thejelman
Over 20 years since the hapless Wilt appeared and the accident-prone everyman still conjures up hilarious images of mayhem from ultra-ordinary situations. This may be a little more rambling and somewhat less focused than the original but it still contains laugh-out-loud moments aplenty. Wilt blunders into calamity locally while his frightening family wreak havoc in the US. Splendid stuff from the master of farce.
LindyLouMac

It is a good few years ago that I last read a novel that contained the protagonists Henry and Eva Wilt, but my memories of this couple soon came flooding back. I literally laughed my way through this in a day as once again the Wilts got themselves into the most terrible tangle of events!

Henry and Eva are apart for much of the time so there are two ludicrously farcical plots to follow. Eva and the horrendous quads have been invited to holiday with relatives
Caroline
A very entertaining novel and one which is quite misleading. When I first started it I thought it was written in a very simplistic way and was going to be a little bit insulting to my intelligence. However the more I read and the more I got caught up in the muddle and confusion of the clever story line, the more I realised it was genius. It is a simple story but then like a West End farce it doesn't need to be complex to be entertaining. It also seemed to be to be pretty probable and therefore e ...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/895971.html[return][return]I read the first third and cannot care enough about any of the characters to finish it: the bits set in England are tired ranting, the bits in America are unfunny stereotypes. As a teenager I read the first two Wilt books and was mildly bemused by the adult humour; in this latest book Sharpe has clearly lost his way. Wilt and his wife central characters were children during the second world war and yet themselves have pre-teen children in 200 ...more
Ed
The next-to-last Wilt novel. Sharpe sustains the humor that he mined so successfully in the first three Wilts, Blott on the Landscape, and Porterhouse Blue.
Jeffrey
I reread this book recently while on holiday. It is not as funny as the first three Wilt stories but Tom Sharpe still has not lost his comic touch. There were not as many laugh-out-loud moments compared to the previous Wilt novels but there were a few places which still provoked tears of laughter streaming down my cheeks. The storyline, as always with Tom Sharpe, is high farce with some biting satire thrown in.

Overall, I still rated it as five stars because it was very enjoyable in its own right
Palmyrah
Tom Sharpe has guts, because guts are what it takes, at the age of 74, to write a book that that gets most of its laughs by exploiting the frailties and horrors of old age, heart disease, terminal geriatric wards in frightful English hospitals, catheters and malfunctioning cardiac monitors.

Aside from that, there are the usual Sharpe comic tropes of kinky sex, drunkenness, obese women, ferocious dogs and architectural devastation. All very welcome, as usual.
Daniel Mcbrearty
picked it up on holiday in North Africa. I love Sharpe's humour, what can I say. There is a bit of poor Wilt in most of us - the ultimate "AFC". Sharpe puts the poor guy through some appallingly delicious humiliation, yet somehow he doesn't care. Wilt is the modern version of the "fool" from the tarot pack, and very endearing with it.
May
While I usually can find the good side of most books, this one was really tough. An elaborate mess in my personal opinion. I always leave the possibility that I simply just did not get this author and in fact this piece is brilliant.

Definitely over my head.
Joaquim Alvarado
Sharpe i Wilt en plena forma: arguments hilarants, personatges absurds,... impagables les filles quadrigèmines desmuntant el somni americà. A més, nous tirs amb bala a policies i metges i ironia sobre les diferències entre anglesos i americans. No pots parar de riure.
Judy Brunner
Read this book in a day. It was very well written with lots of interesting and funny characters, and made me cry with laughter in some parts, especially when the journalists get attacked by the dogs. Will definitely read other of his books.
Alberto Secades naves
Probably the worst book of all Wilt's life. The main character was not Wilt, in fact, the argument roles by his wife and daughters and the unpleasant (misunderstood) inspector Flint.
I miss more Wilt's peculiar action in this story.
Treetop
Very funny, all manner of cockups and mayhem. Typical Tom Sharpe, perhaps not his best work but still put a smile on my face which is what it's all about.
I would reccommend this book to anyone who wanted cheering up.
Angel Serrano
Wilt no quiere ir a visitar la familia americana de su mujer y decide conocer la Gran Bretaña profunda. Tanto que irá al fondo del pozo tras divertidas situaciones con políticos corruptos y sexualmente divergente.
David Szondy
Wilt in Nowhere (2004) confirms that Tom Sharpe is the most butt-clenchingly funny author in Britain today.

Wanjiru
This is one of those books that one reads for the writing and just the silly story part of it. It tickled in parts and has characters that only a very creative writer would dream up
Robert Goodwin
Hilarious! It is a rare book that can make you laugh out loud. An outrageous story that only Tom Sharpe could have written. No other author has made me laugh more than TS.
Lucy
I felt this was a rather exhausted return to the Wilt character by Tom Sharpe. Yes it was witty but I think it's going a bit too far with the WILT character.
Wilton314
Tom Sharpe has done it again. Wilt is all sorts of bother again with hilarious results. I'd recommend anything by this brilliant author.
Any Length
Oct 22, 2012 Any Length marked it as discarded  ·  review of another edition
I discarded this book because it bored me to tears. The characters were not believable at all and the story had little to offer.
Jorge Pérez González
Otra aventura disparatada de este personaje llamado Wilt...
Desde luego, la vida es algo más que blanco o negro.
John
Classic Tom Sharpe - I've not read TS any for years but spotted this in a bookcase on holiday. Still makes me laugh.
Blorengia
I used to find Tom Sharpe's books very, very funny. This was O.K. Maybe I've outgrown his sort of humour.
  • A Singular Man
  • Getting In
  • It Feels So Good When I Stop
  • Slouching Towards Kalamazoo
  • Small Dreams Of A Scorpion: Poems
Tom Sharpe was an English satirical author, born in London and educated at Lancing College and at Pembroke College, Cambridge. After National Service with the Royal Marines he moved to South Africa in 1951, doing social work and teaching in Natal, until deported in 1961.

His work in South Africa inspired the novels Riotous Assembly and Indecent Exposure. From 1963 until 1972 he was a History lectur
More about Tom Sharpe...

Wilt (7 books)
  • Wilt (Wilt, #1)
  • The Wilt Alternative (Wilt, #2)
  • Wilt On High (Wilt, #3)
  • The Wilt Inheritance (Wilt, #5)
  • Wilt / The Wilt Alternative
  • Wilt In Triplicate (Wilt, #1, #2, #3)
Wilt (Wilt, #1) Blott on the Landscape Porterhouse Blue (Porterhouse Blue, #1) Riotous Assembly (Piemburg, #1) The Wilt Alternative (Wilt, #2)