Start by marking “The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)

The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events #7)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  68,529 ratings  ·  1,104 reviews
Dear Reader,
You have undoubtedly picked up this book by mistake, so please put it down. Nobody in their right mind would read this particular book about th lives of Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire on purpose, because each dismal moment of their stay in the village of V.F.D. has been faithfully and dreadfully recorded in these pages.
I can think of no single reason wh
Published March 1st 2002 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published April 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Vile Village, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vile Village

Drew
Here at the halfway point of the series, the author is finally dropping more hints and clues about what seems to be a rather large conspiracy against the Baudelaire orphans, the Quagmire orphans, and I gather orphans everywhere who have large fortunes to be acquired.

The search for the Quagmire triplets in The Ersatz Elevator ended with a literal red herring, but The Vile Village is almost entirely red herring, as the children are sent to become the wards of a village known only by the mysteriou
Casey
Matthew
The seventh book in this upsetting series. It is yet another tale of how the Baudelaire children are a well placed razor away from death. The scoundrel Count Olaf is up to his old tricks. How he is able to baffle entire crowds of people with his guile, which in this case refers to his uncanny ability to fool adults. Luckily Violet, Klaus and Sunny are sharp children and are using their individual talents to stay alive.

Thanks to the heroic and mysterious efforts of Lemony Snicket it seems that th
Miss Bookiverse
"It takes a village to raise a child"? Gosh, I love that the author takes everything so literally and actually allows a whole village to be the new legal guardian for the Baudelaire orphans.

What's really bugging me is this slow dribble of information. Who was Jaque Snicket? What does Beatrice have to do with everything? I never would've thought there was such a mysterious storyline behind these books, one that weaves through the whole series. I'm so curious about the final solution.
Nicholas Karpuk
If I had to draw a line in the sand with the Snicket books between overly formulaic but funny, and genuinely well put together, I'd put it within the first few chapters of The Vile Village.

There's a few things absent from this read through, most of them positive. He isn't constantly reiterating the three children's skills in a "this is for Violet, this is for Klaus, this is for Sunny" sort of rhythm. There guardian is slightly more relatable, and altogether decent guy who gets severely skittish
Kat Thomas
As a series these books are incredible. The formulaic plot that is repeated in every book satisfies the child who is being read to's expectation of what's going on, right and wrong and the band of simple characters.

Where the books become really clever is the additional bits of plot woven into the anecdotes, dedications and acknowledgments, written for the older reader, whether parents reading aloud or older children.

The humour is clever, beautifully insightful and infinitely quotable. Type Lem
Penny Raspenny

I liked it very much!

The images that kept crawling into my mind with all those ravens flying together at sunset and dawn were soooo beautiful! And the riddle with the poems was very challenging! When they got the last note I was like
description
"I KNOW WHERE THE QUAGMIRE TRIPLETS ARE"
And the opportunity for the Baudelaires to practice their talents in that huge library and inventing studio was superb! And the trick in the cell was so inspired! And the plan to save Zack!

But

description

I need answers. What the hell is
Lis
No sólo cada vez son mejores, sino que estos libros se ponen más adictivos a medida que los leo.

Estoy impaciente por que los chicos resuelvan el misterio y, sobre todo, ¡salven a los Quagmire!
Katie
I think this one is my favorite so far. Things are starting to come together and I'm excited to get to the next one now :)
Katy
Re-reading these to try and solve the mystery of VFD and the sugar bowl. So frustrating haha
Ian
Christina Taylor
The Vile Village is the seventh book in Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events. Like its predecessors, this is a metafictive modern fantasy in which the narrator--and supposed author--is not only conscious of his audience as evidenced by his speaking directly to the reader, but also plays with his language as telegraphed by the book’s alliterative title. Snicket peppers this recount of the Baudelaires’ misadventures with allusions, adages, word play, and interstitials a la William Goldm ...more
Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
A smart and funny series about three orphans and their terrible lives.

Vocabulary children will learn in this book: vile, punctilio, notorious, assortment, skittish, aphorism, paltry, horizon, distortion, mirage, desolate, scuffling, windswept, morrow, nevermore, roosting, rustle, superlative, orthodontist, fowl, devotee, nefarious, ordeal, self-sustaining, tedious, quizzically, gargantuan, literary, pester, ornithological, dismay, hedge clippers, strenuous, intimidated, pandemonium, kindling, pe
Thomas
Okay, continuing my re-read through of the series here (I started with Book 4 for some reason).

Knowing what's coming in The End I've been on the look out for anti-religious or secular-humanist themes, and I think I find the first hint of it in this, Book 7, the centerpiece of the series. And if you know me, you know what a big fan I am of organized religion so we'll see what my opinion is of this series when we're done with the re-read. But I'm a tolerant fellow, and I like good art as such. Bei
Katherine
*DOES CONTAIN SPOILERS*

this series never gets any futher - you still dont know 100% what VFD stands for, how olaf knew their parents, who killed their parents (although it obvisous its olaf, they still gavnt confirmed it) you dont know what the 'sugar bowl' is and snicket just keep dragging each book on and on. The one thing i hate about these books is when snicket says a word and then sits there for 2 pages talking about what the word means :S what the hell????

This book was incredibly boring a
Elise Jey
4,5*
Tenhle díl se mi obzvlášť líbil a spoustu mi toho dal. Četla jsem ho i za chůze, i když mi u toho mrzly prsty, ale bylo to tak napínavé, že jsem nemohla přestat. Série Řada nešťastných příhod čítá sice jedny z nejdepresivnějších knih vůbec, ale pokud bych dětem měla něco doporučit, byl by to Harry Potter a hned v závěsu tato série.
Maryam AlNasser
i thought these would get repetitive and boring after the fourth or fifth one, or i would simply get bored. but no, they get more funny and witty and clever as you read on. i'm loving this.
Mark Lawrence
The Vile Village is where the whole VFD thing really starts to take off and the original formula of a new guardian followed by Olaaf turning up in a new disguise starts fraying.

The village is quite fun, replete with dozens of vile villagers, hundreds of ridiculous rules, and thousands upon thousands of crows.

The off-beat humour continues with Sunny's one worders and their elaborate translation, and the extreme stupidity of everyone who isn't a Baudelaire.

The penalty for breaking almost any villa
Marianne
The Vile Village is the seventh book in A Series of Unfortunate Events by American author, Lemony Snicket (aka Daniel Handler). As we once again join the unlucky Baudelaire orphans, they are sent by their banker, the ever-tussive Mr Poe, to the village of V.F.D under a government scheme based on the aphorism that it takes a whole village to raise a child. Having already suffered the loss of their parents, the threat of marriage, slave labour, hypnosis, a terrible boarding school, being thrown do ...more
Jbb Lim
WHOA!!! This is madness! Of all the books I've read in the Unfortunate events, this is DA BOMB! It has something to do with runaway, dangerous plots to get out of the village, excellent disguise by Esmé and more. This book has the adrenaline going and I think it's one of my favourite among the other books. I'm not sure about the subsequent ones.

The Baudelaires once again was brought into this village full of old folks and rules, whoever breaks it, the ultimate punishment is to be burnt at the st
Siobhan
Yet another great book in the series, this one filled with plot twists and suggestions at answers.

Here we find out a decent amount more, or are given means for the children to find out more later on, about what is going on. The book itself is filled with twists and turns which change the course of the series from this book on, leaving you on the edge of your seat and wanting more. Again, it is well written filled with great ideas – a great read for all.
Sara Williams
Megan
I really liked this funny little town. Their rules were crazy and ridiculous but I loved it. I had an idea where the Quagmires were hidden, but I wasn't for sure until the end. I definitely didn't see anything coming. These books get better and better as you go. I can't wait to start the next one!
Aprille
One of the better, thus far. The thing has gone really really strange in this book. Snicket's writing or rather Daniel Handler's writing is far-fetched.
Alayne
5/5
El mejor de toda la saga hasta ahora. Cada vez se ponen mejores.
Steven
Quite the entertaining tale, this one. More fun than some of the earlier books. Hope the next few are this fun. :)
Matt
The plot thickens.
This is not a book for physics majors, but rather English majors.
Brittany
Short and simple, like my review will be.

The seventh book was a bit of a letdown, especially after the decent read that was The Ersatz Elevator. Obviously none of this is realistic, but I'm sucked into figuring out what the hell is going on. I do still appreciate the Baudelaire Orphans and their skills that are beyond their years, even after seven books. Count Olaf still remains a pretty cruel villain for kiddos, and Esme stays interconnected as well. And props to little ol' Sunny who's FINALLY
Teresa B
This "woe-filled" collection of thirteen books about the tribulations of three unusually talented orphans will keep adults entertained as well as children. When I first saw the series I thought, "That looks too depressing," but soon I discovered the hilarity in overabundant alliteration, contemptible villains, and idiotic bystanders.

As the series progresses and the mysteries deepen, the children's characters grow and develop in surprising ways as togehter they face obstacles and a growing numbe
Julesmarie
My favorite of the series so far. I love when the Baudelaires all get to work together, each doing what he or she does best to help evade Count Olaf.

The satirical portrayals of the adult characters in this one were back on (imo, anyway) the funny side rather than the annoying side.

My favorite thing: the self-sustaining hot air mobile home was 100% inspired by The Twenty-one Balloons, and at first I was a little bothered by how similar this invention is to some of the ones in that book. However,
The Nooks of Books: The Vile Village 1 2 Jan 28, 2015 03:50AM
The ASOUE Challenge: Books Alluded 1 2 Nov 08, 2014 07:52AM
This is where it gets good! 5 47 Oct 30, 2014 11:43AM
Great 6 24 Aug 15, 2014 05:27AM
Why are people so blind? 5 96 Aug 15, 2014 05:24AM
quotablebookquotes: The Vile Village: An Overview 7 5 Dec 15, 2013 03:12PM
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • The River of Adventure (Adventure, #8)
  • The Sands of Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #2)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3)
  • The Wright 3 (Chasing Vermeer, #2)
  • Charlie Bone and the Time Twister (The Children of the Red King, #2)
  • The Crown of Light (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #11)
  • Molly Moon's Hypnotic Time Travel Adventure (Molly Moon, #3)
  • The Winter Knights (Edge Chronicles, #8)
  • Oddfellow's Orphanage
  • The Forests of Silence (Deltora Quest #1)
  • Now You See Them, Now You Don't (On The Run, #3)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)
The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2) The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3) The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5) The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)

“It is true, of course, that there is no way of knowing for sure whether or not you can trust someone, for the simple reason that circumstances change all of the time. You might know someone for several years, for instance, and trust him completely as your friend, but circumstances could change and he could become very hungry, and before you knew it you could be boiling in a soup pot, because there is no way of knowing for sure.” 35 likes
“Normally I don't approve of children staying up late,' he said finally, 'unless they are reading a very good book, seeing a wonderful movie, or attending a dinner party with fascinating guests.” 27 likes