Start by marking “Best New Poets 2012: 50 Poems from Emerging Writers” as Want to Read:
Best New Poets 2012: 50 Poems from Emerging Writers

Best New Poets 2012: 50 Poems from Emerging Writers

Entering its seventh year, "Best New Poets" has established itself as a crucial venue for rising poets and a valuable resource for poetry lovers. The only publication of its kind, this annual anthology is made up exclusively of work by writers who have not yet published a full-length book. The poems included in this eclectic sampling represent the best from the many that h ...more
Published December 17th 2012 by University of Virginia Press (first published November 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Best New Poets 2012, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best New Poets 2012

Kasandra
Nov 26, 2012 Kasandra rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Generally, anthologies almost have to be 3-star: there's always some you love, some you don't get or don't like, and a bunch in between that are well-written but maybe don't move you or quite connect on a deeper level. But this group turned out to be skewed a bit more toward my personal taste than the last few anthologies I've read, and I'm not just saying that because I'm in it! Lots of different styles here, and modes from formal to modern, prose-y to very succinct. Some great long poems and s ...more
Sebastian
Dec 15, 2012 Sebastian rated it it was amazing
I'd flipped through a few Best New Poets anthologies--pretentious sometimes, a little boring--but not this. These poems were so friendly, so interesting, and, dare I say it? Entertaining! Are poems allowed to be entertaining anymore? This was such a pleasure to read.

P.S. I had no idea Anne Carson's Autobiography of Red was so popular to reference. Three, maybe four, poets addressed it--like a child learning to use a new word, after awhile I'm slapping away sticky fingers and begging the voice to
Jenny
Aug 07, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
A vast majority of these poems were pretty good, some of them were excellent, and very few of them made me tilt my head at the page and wonder why it had been included. I feel like there's a particular cadence and a common set of words and images that are particularly prominent among contemporary poetry (one that I usually enjoy) and many of the poems in this book can attest to that. Reading the entire thing all in one go would probably get pretty repetitive so I suggest spreading out the readin ...more
Brian Wasserman
Feb 08, 2017 Brian Wasserman rated it it was ok
Some good poets, alot of duds. Many poems are tangents about daily life, and deeply lack originality or many fail to attract my interest. Reading this one definitely is like a slow trek up a steep ascent with little to gain in return.
Tom
Mar 30, 2013 Tom rated it really liked it
Some of these were much more appealing to me than others, as is the case with any anthology, but the overall ratio of wonderful to good to okay-but-forgettable to blegh was better than I expected. My program's journal has published a couple of these poets, too, so it's exciting to see them getting this kind of recognition.
Courtney LeBlanc
Jan 04, 2015 Courtney LeBlanc rated it it was ok
My goal for 2015 is to read more poetry and find more poets I love so I picked this up from the library. Unfortunately only one poem really stood out to me, Why My Mother is Afraid of Heights by Shevaun Brannigan. The rest were okay but nothing sensational. I have other years of this book so I'm hopeful the rest will reveal some gems.
Nancy
Feb 23, 2013 Nancy rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, anthology
This is very similar to the Best New Poets 2011, a little bit of everything, narrative, lyric, experimental, language. A few gems, like last years. If you want to see what's out there, this is a good book to read.
Aaliyah
Sep 29, 2013 Aaliyah rated it liked it
It's an anthology. You win some, you lose some.
Erica Minton Reid
May 27, 2013 Erica Minton Reid rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Man. Poetry anthologies usually mostly suck. This one did not mostly suck!!
Aran
Sep 06, 2015 Aran added it
Shelves: poetry
Very interesting how each anthology reflects the selector's own tastes.
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Jessica Robinson
Jessica Robinson rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Mike Horan
Mike Horan rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2013
Terry
Dec 16, 2013 Terry rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Roberta Morris
Roberta Morris rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Tyler Kline
Tyler Kline rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2013
George
George rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Celeste Hamilton Dennis
Celeste Hamilton Dennis rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Alex T
Alex T rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2013
Kim Welliver
Kim Welliver rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2013
Stephen Mills
Stephen Mills rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Louise
Louise rated it liked it
May 27, 2014
Anders Carlson-Wee
Aug 16, 2015 Anders Carlson-Wee rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Matthew Dickman is the author of All-American Poem, winner of the May Sarton Award from the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and the coauthor with Michael Dickman of 50 American Plays. He lives in Portland, Oregon.
More about Matthew Dickman...