Start by marking “Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #2)” as Want to Read:
Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #2)

Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  559 ratings  ·  39 reviews

The only trouble is the people dying there are going before their time.

Published September 15th 1996 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Concourse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Concourse

Hallie
Much as I enjoyed the first book, from Lydia's perspective, I was more than happy with Bill's much more somber POV as well. Don't think I've read a series that alternates like this, and it works surprisingly well, although it's going to be tough to find a place to mention series movement when nobody else I know has read the series yet. (Katie, if you see this, I just don't know whether to push it on you or not! I'm leaning to an enthusiastic yes, but that might be because I want to talk about th ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
There are so many adorable characters in #2 of the Chin/Smith mysteries that I couldn't put this one down! There are kittens, too! Awesome.

I cannot figure out why this series doesn't get more interest from the mystery fans.

The first in the series was from Chin's point of view, and it was funny and a touch chick lit. This one is from Smith's point of view and is darker and bleaker. I get the feeling Smith suffers from depression and has had a much harder life before working with Chin. His circle
Liralen
After Lydia's lively chatter, the part-Irish poetic flow of Bill's internal monologue was a wonderful turn for me. I loved the complexity of this plot compared to the first, and the relationships Bill has with his past and how they play throughout the turnings and weaving of life to life within this book.

As much as I liked Lydia in the first, more lightweight book, I loved Bill even more in this one, and it's always the characters that bring me back. I love how Bill is just as stubborn as Lydia
Brenda Mengeling
S.J. Rozan's Lydia Chin/Bill Smith series of mysteries deserves a much wider readership. Rozan rotates the first person narration between Lydia and Bill from book to book (not within a single book). Before reading Concourse I hadn't read one narrated by Bill. I enjoyed Lydia's voice so much, and she seemed the dominant character that I didn't think the Bill Smith narratives could compare. Concourse is the second book in the series, and Bill narrates it, and I really enjoyed it.

Bill is several ye
Abbey
1995, #2 Bill Smith/Lydia Chin, PIs, NYC, especially The Bronx; classic PI.

Remarkably good tale of life in The Bronx, with its dying neighborhoods and powerful gangs, and an old folks’ home with an extremely high mortality rate - of its guard staff. When Bill’s mentor’s employees start dying nastily the police want to blame the local gang hotshot and his minions, but there’s far more going on than just juvenile cruelty, although there’s a great deal of that abroad as well. Rather sentimental in
Hobart
I was pretty enthused to grab the second book in the Lydia Chin/Bill Smith series -- Lydia's voice and character was so strong, and her interaction with her sometimes partner Bill was not your usual P.I. partner/friend/sounding board fare. You add in the strong possibility of another case in/around Chinatown? This really had the look of a series I could sink my teeth into.

And almost immediately, that all came to a crashing halt. The voice wasn't quite right, the interactions the first person nar
Kathy
Spuddie
#2 Bill Smith and Lydia Chin "private eye" mystery set in the Bronx. The author changes which PI tells the story from one book to another, and this is a "Bill" book. We met him rather briefly in the first book and I liked him well enough, but now we finally get to really know Bill. He is hired by Bobby, an old friend who runs a security business to investigate the killing of his nephew (one of his guards) which occurred at a high-end nursing home in a secluded compound right in the middle of the ...more
Michael
Much better than the first in the series, but not quite as good as In This Rain. So three stars it is!

The setting moves from Chinatown to the Bronx, the perspective shifts from Lydia to Bill. I feel like Rozan is setting herself up for a difficult series with the romantic tension between Lydia and Bill; she's going to have to resolve it, and it's not going to be satisfying regardless of how it turns out.

But for now, a good book. Up my alley. Well paced, good protagonists, etc. Recommended.
Tom
Well crafted and entertaining. The plot moves along at a logical and good pace to keep you, the reader, involved. If this is your introduction to Lydia and Bill, I recommend starting with book 1, China Trade to understand the dynamics between these two detectives. S.J. Rozen does a masterful job describing the scenes and has intimate knowledge of the local. The dialogue is spot on. I am looking forward to the rest of this series, currently at 11.
Wise_owl
A Good mystery in the hard-boiled tradition, concourse combines several elements; Urban Decay, The Cheery Prison that is an Old Folks Home, and of course, Murder, into an engrossing mystery. Like any good mystery is presents it's elements up front, and lets you double-back and forth with the detective on which of the possible motives is the real one. Who is the killer? and why?

It's protagonist 'Bill Smith' is very much the traditional detective. His partner, Lydia Chin, is far from traditional,
Glenn Harris
Only the second book in the series but so far extremely well-written and entertaining. Featuring a male/female pair of private detectives (an idea I find particularly appealing for some reason), it appears the books are going to alternate between the Chinese-American culture of Lydia Chin and the more traditional American culture of her partner Bill Smith. I'll certainly be reading more in the series to find out.
E.L. Lindley
I bought this book almost as soon as I finished China Trade (the first in the Lydia Chin and Bill Smith series). I was surpised initially because the voice of Concourse is Bill whereas Lydia had provided the voice for China Trade. This switch is a very clever and effective technique as it allows the reader to get to know both characters. Consequently both books feel very different and this one is perhaps more of a conventional crime thriller. Bill is a great protagonist and as he is hired by an ...more
Bazz
Jul 04, 2012 Bazz rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
It's hard deciding where to start with this book. The plot that Bill & Lydia are investigating is enjoyable enough, although the background that causes it all is very predictable, the killer wasn't quite who I expected it to be - even though looking back the clues are there. All of that is let down though by the filler of the story. Ok, so Bill likes Lydia a bit more than she likes him, but is there really any need to go over it again and again each time they chat? Also with his love of clas ...more
LJ
CONCOURSE - Ex
Rozan, S.J. - 2nd in Bill Smith/Lydia Chin series

It flows through the Bronx like a river between banks of faded elegance. And at the end of the avenue called the Grand Concourse is the place people go to die, the Bronx Home for the Aged. The only trouble is the people dying there are going before their time.

Bill Smith has been hired by an old friend to investigate the brutal killing of a young security guard on the Bronx Home grounds. Going undercover, Smith wades out into a sea of
Deb Oestreicher
Well, I was pretty confused for the first few pages of this second mystery in the Lydia Chin/Bill Smith series, until I realized that the narrator was not Lydia Chin (who narrated the first novel in the series, China Trade), but her partner Bill Smith. (This narrator switching continues throughout the series and gives us a chance to know both characters better from the outside as well as the inside.)

In this story, Bill is asked to help his former mentor in the detecting business, who now runs a
Anita Drake
This is the 2nd book in the series that I've read and I really like this author. I enjoy the snappy dialog between Bill Smith and Lydia Chin and I think the writing style is very good; good story line and very good character development.
Babette
This, the second in the series, was even better than the first. While I liked the view into the Chinatown and Chinese culture in book one, I think I liked the implicit danger that ran from start to finish of book two.
Book two is told from Bill Smith's point of view, and he is the dominant character. In book one, the reader sees the story from Lydia's persepective and follows the plot through her. I liked this switch. The relationship between the two continues to evolve, but still contains a larg
Elisabeth
Call it 2.5 stars. A good-enough mystery, with some good twists. A bit of a comedown after China Trade, though. The story loses a lot in coming from Bill's POV; one more hard-done-by white male gumshoe in a city of gangbangers, blackmailers, and self-righteous white-collar crooks does not make much of a tale. The descriptions are lush and beautiful, but distracting, having no bearing on the story. The characters, other than the lead, are well drawn and interesting. The dialect is a bit tough at ...more
Anne
In a shift from the first book in the series (China Trade), the author leads us through this labyrinth not with Lydia Chin, but with her partner, Bill Smith. The story is set chiefly in the Bronx and describes the decayed areas quite well, both physically and culturally. The plot features layer upon layer of deceit and betrayal with only a glimmer here and there of any hope of redemption. Some of the characters are truly haunting.
Richard Thompson
Bill is the narrator in this one. He is called on my a friend and old mentor, Bobby Moran, to investigate the death of Moran's nephew who has been beaten to death while working for Moran as a security guard at the Bronx Home for the Aged. Working undercover as a guard at the Home, Bill realizes that there are a lot of players with a lot of agendas involved — a street gang called the Cobras, doctors at the Home, the woman who runs the home, local politicians — and stirring things up almost costs ...more
Kay
Excellent novel in the Bill Smith, Lydia Chin series.
Laura Shannon
I'm so loving this series.
Goldie
Seriously one of my favorite story book characters! Since I've read Mandarin Plaid a long, long time ago, I decided to hunt down S.J. Rozan's books through the years. Councourse just swallowed me. I was so hooked into the book, whenever I would stop reading, I felt like I was being sucked out of a bubble. The writing was just so exciting and I felt like I was right there with Bill.

Can't wait to read the other books in the series! :)
Lian Tanner
This is such a terrific series. I can't quite decide whether I like the ones from Bill's pov or Lydia's pov better - I suspect they are equally as good. Rozan doesn't put a step wrong with her writing - the plot is tight, the characters are sometimes too real for comfort (I'm talking about the gang members here) and the relationship between Bill and Lydia is fascinating. One of the very best crime series around.
MB
While I really, REALLY liked the writing in this book, I'm not sure if I'll continue on with the series or not. Bill Smith isn't strong enough to keep me hooked, and Lydia Chin isn't present enough to keep me hooked. A pleasant mystery, though.

But the descriptions of fall that are scattered through the book like falling leaves? They are brilliant, evocative and powerful.
Nancy
anothe Lydia Chin-Bill Smith mystery, this time told from Smith's point of view. I like Smith as a character; he fits into the "hard-boiled detective" mold but is a decent person and plays Schubert and Chopin on the piano to unwind. This story involves urban renewal and gangs in the Bronx.
LizH
Was really surprised to find the book from Bill's voice. Didn't know they alternate. Lots of mystery, like the set up, like the additional characters in this one. On to the next...
Anna
Still cute.
Kathleen O'Nan
This was written in the voice of the male partner, Bill. I think the first book, China Trade, which was written in the voice of the female character, Lydia, was much better.
  • False Pretenses (Nancy Drew: Files, #88)
  • A Season of Knives (Sir Robert Carey, #2)
  • Redemption Street (Moe Prager, #2)
  • The Bride's Kimono
  • The Bum's Rush (Leo Waterman, #3)
  • The Woman Who Married a Bear (Cecil Younger, #1)
  • Judgment of the Grave
  • Black Widow #4
  • Murder Down Under
  • The Limehouse Text (Barker & Llewelyn, #3)
  • The Hours Before Dawn (Paperback)
  • Executive Actions
  • A Loyal Character Dancer (Inspector Chen Cao #2)
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • Don't Dare a Dame
  • Blues in the Night (Molly Blume, #1)
SJ Rozan, a native New Yorker, is the author of the Bill Smith and Lydia Chin detective series as well as several stand-alone novels. She has won the the Edgar, Nero, Macavity, Shamus and Anthony awards for Best Novel and the Edgar award for Best Short Story. She is a former Mystery Writers of America National Board member, a current Sisters in Crime National Board member, and President of the Pri ...more
More about S.J. Rozan...

Lydia Chin & Bill Smith (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • China Trade
  • Mandarin Plaid
  • No Colder Place (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #4)
  • A Bitter Feast (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #5)
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #6)
  • Reflecting the Sky (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #7)
  • Winter And Night (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #8)
  • The Shanghai Moon (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #9)
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #10)
  • Ghost Hero (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #11)
China Trade The Shanghai Moon (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #9) Winter And Night (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #8) Mandarin Plaid No Colder Place (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #4)