Start by marking “Forest, What Would You Like?” as Want to Read:
Forest, What Would You Like?

Forest, What Would You Like?

In this heartfelt poem, the forest announces its wish-list for every season including sun, mice, and a slug in summer; fruit, song, and spicy smells in the fall; snow, an icy river, and maple sugar in winter; and rain, moist soil, and flowers in spring. And all year long, it wishes for people planting trees and most of all children rambling, sniffing, and laughing.

Irene O'
Published January 7th 2013 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Forest, What Would You Like?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forest, What Would You Like?

Edward Sullivan
Jan 31, 2013 Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cheerful, colorful, poetic celebration of nature.
Amy
O'Garden, a NYS, Hudson Valley resident created this picture book after she played the role of Mother Nature to the Garrison Union Free School's Forest Celebration. In her author's note, she tells how she asked over 400 children the question, "Forest, what would you like?" Children then responded as if they were the forest. O'Garden then used these responses as her inspiration for a poem, which she then incorporated into this lovely picture book! She has captured the essence of all the beauty an ...more
Gail Shipley
Mar 08, 2015 Gail Shipley rated it it was ok
The question is repeatedly asked, Forest, What Would You Like? and whatever the answer is is illustrated on the next page. I didn't care for the poetry or the book.
Christel
Jul 18, 2013 Christel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won-done
The Spirit of Forest is represented by a green boy who is in all the wonderful illustrations. This was the result of 400 kids at an event giving input on what Forest wants. This book could be used in schools, library reading programs, homeschooling or just rainy afternoon reading to discuss what makes a balanced ecosystem and how to enjoy nature responsibly. Many types of critters and plants fill the book. Sweet and lovely and deep. I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Th ...more
Samantha
Apr 08, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
A book that was inspired by a school visit in which the author played Mother Nature and asked the children in attendance Forest: What would you like? Using their responses the author crafted a poem which is brought to life in this picture book.

Watercolor paintings by the illustrator most well known for the Biscuit books are chocked full of intricate details. Each illustration consists of a vibrant foreground image overlayed on a softer, lighter-toned background image.

A great nature read that ce
Barbara
Accompanied by watercolor illustrations that allow the forest's features to be displayed appealingly, this picture book describes what the forest requires in order to be content. The poetic language describes the joys of the seasons, each with its own particular appeal, while also encouraging young visitors with their innate curiosity and joy in celebrating what the forest has to offer. This is a great book to pair with A Stick Is an Excellent Thing while providing a reminder of all there is to ...more
Meg
Mar 18, 2013 Meg rated it it was amazing
*****************I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This was a really cute book! The illustrations were nicely done. I read it to my son who is 5 and he
is very interested in nature and wouldn't stop pointing to the different things he found in the pictures.

This is definitely a book that we will read again and again as there is more to discover each time we open it.
Christine
Jun 26, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
Beautiful and detailed illustrations accompany this poetic story that follows a forest through all the seasons. Children will learn about the plants and animals that call the Forest home and how important it is to think about nature and what we can do to ensure that future generations are able to appreciate it's beauty and grandeur as well.
Vicky
Jul 01, 2013 Vicky rated it really liked it
I recieved this book through good reads first reads.

This is a sweet nice childrens book that me and my child very much enjoyed readings together and looking at the vibrant beautiful photos.
Jun 07, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
A good selection when studying forests, forest animals, and seasons. O'Garden presents the idea of nature conservation without being didactic or seemingly politically motivated.
Lindsay
May 06, 2013 Lindsay rated it liked it
A pretty hippy-dippy text where a personified "forest" answers the question posed in the title. The answers would suit an environmental, Earth Day, Arbor Day unit.
Great Books
Apr 05, 2013 Great Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
Explore the forest through all four seasons as you seek and find the many creatures who live in this ever changing environment.
Reviewer #14
Kim Patton
Sep 17, 2013 Kim Patton rated it it was ok
Written in a poetic form, the author asks the forest in different seasons and for different aspects of nature. Did not appeal to me.
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Tima
Tima marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Kasia Plichcińska
Kasia Plichcińska rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Violet B
Violet B rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Amanda Moore
Amanda Moore marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Laura rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
May 06, 2014
Rebecca Chew
Rebecca Chew rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2014
Katja
Katja added it
Mar 18, 2014
Quinn Rollins
Quinn Rollins rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2015
  • Maya Was Grumpy
  • Millie the Mouth
  • Forest Has a Song: Poems
  • Off We Go!
  • A New New Testament: A Bible for the 21st Century Combining Traditional and Newly Discovered Texts
  • Elephant's Story
  • Noisy Frog Sing-Along
  • A Year with Marmalade
  • Poems in the Attic
  • World Rat Day: Poems About Real Holidays You've Never Heard Of
  • God's Calling: How a Cheap Cell Phone and a Homeless Teen Transformed My Life and My Faith
  • Sentinels (Sentinels, #1)
  • Jack's Amazing Shadow
I was a midwest kid who majored in Theatre and English, moved to NYC to act. It eventually dawned on me you don't have to audition to write and I could say things that weren't being said by the playwrights whose works I acted in, so I began to write in earnest. That ongoing effort has resulted in:

My critically-acclaimed play, Women On Fire (Samuel French), played sold-out houses Off Broadway at t
More about Irene O'Garden...