Start by marking “Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Odd Thomas

Dean Koontz

Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  168,110 ratings  ·  4,773 reviews
"The dead don't talk. I don't know why." But they do try to communicate, with a short-order cook in a small desert town serving as their reluctant confidant. Odd Thomas thinks of himself as an ordinary guy, if possessed of a certain measure of talent at the Pico Mundo Grill and rapturously in love with the most beautiful girl in the world, Stormy Llewellyn.

Maybe he has a g
Large Print
Published 2004 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Odd Thomas, please sign up.

Abby
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Aaron Woodsworth
I haven't read Dean Koontz in years, and I wanted to see if I'd made a hasty judgment about him being not so good. He wrote a book called "Lightning" that I liked, but others I read were, as they say, "Meh." I picked up this book and the next in the series, "Forever Odd," and thought "sure, why not?"

Let me answer that question for you:

Dean Koontz' 20 year old I-see-dead-people fry cook character reads like a 20 year old written by a 50-something year old that assumes he can write a believable 20
Blu
Best Read of 2004!!! Wow! What a way to start a new year. This is the first book I've read by Dean Koontz and I'm kicking myself in the behind for overlooking the man for some many years! After this review, I will make it a point to get my hands on a copy of everything the man has ever written.

I first mentioned this book to my ex-husband after coming across it in the bookstore early December. Back cover seemed interesting enough but, not being a fan of Koontz, I decided to put it on my "wish li
Will M.
Odd Thomas is a 20-year old fry cook, and he can see dead people. It's either a gift or a curse. In less than twenty-four hours, Pico Mundo will awaken to a day of catastrophe, and it's up to Odd to try and prevent it.

The thing with this novel is that the plot was terribly slow. Koontz served up a lot of character building, a lot being the first 1/3 of the novel. That is pretty normal, but the result should be satisfactory. While I am really liking Odd as a character, I just don't see him as a
Maciek
As a kid, the first thing I did when I was coming back from school was stop by at the library. I used to check out various mystery novels - like those with The Three Investigators, a saga that has remained a favorite and to this day I'm fond of it - and one day the librarian (God bless her) decided that I was mature enough (meaning I started growing whiskers) and recommended Stephen King.

Needless to say, I started to read one King book after the other in quick succesion, sometimes even two at th
UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva

Dean Koontz is an incredible author - one of my favorite in the PNR/Horror genre, and every Koontz book I've read has been fast paced, scary but not terrifying and, start to finish, grabs hold, doesn't let go.
“The dead don't talk. I don't know why.” But they do try to communicate, with a short-order cook in a small desert town serving as their reluctant confidant. Odd Thomas thinks of himself as an ordinary guy, if possessed of a certain measure of talent at the Pico Mundo Grill and rapturously
Chris
Caution: comments contain spoilers.

I like Dean Koontz but I am not a big fan. I don't know if the stories seem too generic or the characters are too standard in my view, but he gets me about 60% of the way there most times. I have actually put down a few of his books after about 50 pages because I simply lost interest. I know that he is wildly popular so obviously others don't share this view. Odd Thomas, both the novel and the character, were different for me though. The idea of someone being a
Delee
I had no interest in reading ODD THOMAS when it first came out. Although Watchers, Lightning, and some of Koontz's older novels are some of my favorites, I had read a few of his more recent novels and had been a little disappointed. But...I was browsing in the used book store and decided what the heck, I will pick up a copy just in case I ever change my mind. It took 7 years.

photo 0b64cdd4-c76b-40e8-a347-b0fdb8826fef_zpsc0cc0b9a.jpg

The great thing about it taking 7 years is I forgot what the book was about so I got to have the "Big Ahhhaaaaa" moment in
Scott Seaborn
I REALLY wanted to like this novel. The first chapter hooked me-- bad stuff is going to happen to the likable guy who sees dead people. And NOTHING happens for the next 200 pages. Well, almost nothing-- Odd discovers this Black Room with mysteriously cool properties. The Black Room keeps me hooked a little bit longer....but Koontz doesn't even explain what it is or why it's important to the plot. I spent the next 300 pages waiting for Odd to go back to the room, but it's not even mentioned again ...more
Imogen
Isla was going to get this, but she was equivocating, so I knocked her over and took it. I have read a lot of Dean Koontz! Back when he was Dean R. Koontz. According to Wikipedia, in 1992, when I was thirteen, I had read every book he'd published under his own name- which was, what, like, a dozen or so? I used to get them from the library and read them at other kids' little league games... which sounds a little nerdy, in retrospect.

Anyway, I loved 'em! I was a little nerdy serious kid like "Mom
Duchess Nicole
Folks, I just can't do it. I made myself get to around 65% on audio, and I've had to backtrack to re-listen about five hundred times (slight exaggeration). I'm just wasting valuable reading time at this point.

This is the second DNF for me this year, out of over two hundred fifty books, so I don't do this lightly. The genre just isn't for me. I've read and enjoyed Koontz other works up to a point. I find his characters to be a little to nice, a little too real for the horror/mystery genres. I sa
Terry
"Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz is the first book in his “Odd” series. This novel probably inspired the television series Medium. There are several similarities between them, including the ability of the main character to speak with the dead and use information gleaned to solve crimes. Both also involve lots of action and some romance.

Odd Thomas is the protagonist and narrator of the novel. He is a 20 year old short-order cook at the local grill in a small desert town. He is surrounded by several qu
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Read my mini review here...

Or below..

Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas #1)by Dean Koontz was so good and I’m so annoyed. I’m a huge Koontz fan, I’ve been reading his books since I was a teen. He basically started me on horror novels. For some stupid reason, I was hesitant in starting Odd Thomas. I’m not sure why. Maybe because the book seemed so mild compared to his other books. I’m so dumb. I loved Odd. I loved everything about him. I loved the story, all the mino
Cheryl
Book 1 is my favorite Odd Thomas book, to-date. Awesome story with a memorable character. I thought about Odd long after I put the book down, and it definitely made me want to read more. I started on Forever Odd (book 2) the same evening.

Dean Koontz has created a very interesting character and some witty dialogue and humor. While it might not be as dark as most of his other works, Odd Thomas has an eerie foreshadowing that really works. You have to keep reading to find out what happens.

I can't w
Lit Bug
The back of the cover gave an impressive feel - Odd Thomas, a 20-year old something sweet guy, living in Pico Mundo, a sweet little peaceful town works as an excellent fry-cook and is going steady with his gorgeous, adorable, avid feminist girl Stormy. And this guy is odd - because he can see ghosts, talk with them and see the mysterious bodachs that follow people just before they are destined to die.

A mysterious man with a ravenous appetite appears and bodachs follow him - they haunt his house
Neal Shusterman
I get all of my book recommendations from avid readers. When someone suggest something to me passionately, it’s that passion that makes me want to read it. I avoid best-selling authors because I’ve come to find most best sellers to be seriously underwhelming -- “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” as a case in point. The best I can say about it is “eh, who cares.”
I mentioned this to someone, who said I should give Dean Koontz a chance. I remember reading a Koontz novel years ago. Underwhelmed. Bu
Chichipio
This book, despite some minor flaws, was a great mix of light, humorous moments counterbalanced by dark, serious, sad parts.

Odd's character, with his singular perspective, does a great job of giving us a view of our everyday world that—while it shows its gloomiest aspects—is filled with even more positive ones. I haven't finished processing my feelings to put them in something resembling order. The best I can say at this point is that it left me sad, but hopeful.

Regarding the other aspects of th
Ian
This was my first Koontz book, and I read it on the recommendation of a friend. After reaching the last page I have to say that I'm surprised at how good the book ended up being!

For me, the book really took off at the end, and when I reached the more exciting parts I was more accepting of the bulk of the previous parts which set up the big climax. Aside from one single plot point, which I assume is explored more in the later books, everything tied together in an interesting and original way that
Grace Viray
I sincerely wish that someone warned me beforehand that I should finish this book when I'm alone bec when I reached the last pages, I was inside a plane, surrounded by strangers. I was torn between wanting to cry or slam the book shut because no matter how many clues led to that ending, it still caught me off guard and affected me deeper than I thought it would. Did the ending lessen my enjoyment of the book? A little, somehow. But what made it compelling is how the author was capable of making ...more
Kasia S.
I’m extremely impressed at how Koontz handled this story considering that I prefer his older stuff. I have been a fan of his for years now but this take takes a fork, stabs you in the heart and scrambles it a around a bit… yeah it will make you sit up while reading, I read this months ago and I still feel jolts of adrenaline when certain creative scenes come up in my memory ( the black room… brrr)… I have the whole series and let me tell you, the act of writing this review makes me want to stop ...more
Ruth
I have never read Dean Koontz before, and have never found any real draw to him or his typical genre of writing. However, I've found myself suitably impressed with this first venture into his collection of novels.

The book was written in a fashion that I found very entertaining and engaging, staying light just long enough to knock me a bit off balance when it grew darker. The characters were nicely fleshed out in all their oddness (pun not intended but unavoidable) and were quite enchanting.

If po
Audrey
It's been a really long time -- high school, I think -- since I've read anything by Dean Koontz, but the description of Odd Thomas caught my attention so I grabbed this from the library. I'm so glad I did. Odd Thomas is one of the best characters I've met in a long time. Koontz's writing is sharp and clear and very witty, and he can really amp up the suspense. And the ending -- never saw it coming, though I probably should have. I'm looking forward to reading more books about Odd.
Shannon
Jan 09, 2009 Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: just about any one
Shelves: faves, library
Ok - I saw the cover of Brother Odd in the bookstore and really wanted to read it, but I knew it was a sequel and I didn't want to start in the middle of something. Am I glad I did start at the beginning!

This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. First of all, I have never read anything else by the author, but this character was too much to pass up. Odd is just about perfect. He is a wonderful, somewhat tragic boy. And funny as hell to boot. I don't usually read books set in moder
Garrett
My wife and I listened to this (as an audiobook) during our Christmas-time travel home. We had both read a couple other Koontz novels and we trusted him to keep us awake and entertained. We were not disappointed.

Setting: A small world town - Pico Mundo. Pretty generic, by design. Lots of bad things seem to happen here for some reason that is not ever explained. Maybe they're on top of a Hellmouth (thanks, Buffy).

Plot: This is a fairly simple plot. Somebody is going to do something bad to lots of
Tony Opsata
One of the most poorly-written hack jobs I've ever read. Koontz is rarely good, choosing to assemble his limp, vapid stories like a thumbless halfwit gluing together a model car instead of working from a place of creativity and inspiration - both of which are lacking in most of his books.

'Odd Thomas' achieves a new level of terrible for Koontz, succeeding in being not only the worst book in his catalog, but in the medium itself. It's hacked together with a multitude of groan-inducing metaphors
Sandi
Orange County, CA is home to at least 3 famous authors: T Jefferson Parker, Gregory Benford and Dean Koontz. In preparation for the LA Times Festival of Books, I checked books by two of the three authors out of the library. I'm pretty sure I've read Gregory Benford before, so I skipped him.

Odd Thomas was recommended to me as a good introduction to Koontz's work. I was really pleased with the experience. I liked Koontz's writing style in this book very much and the story was excellent. Who can r
Paul 'Pezski' Perry
Here we have a definite argument for giving an author a second chance. My previous experience of Dean Koontz had been The Taking, which I loathed utterly. I found it annoyingly written, badly conceived and preachy. However, I had heard it wasn't typical of his work (my girlfriend is a fan, although she hasn't read The Taking), and when I was given the audio of Odd Thomas I thought I'd give it a go.

Odd (who has heard various reasons for this given name, none of which are quite convincing), is a s
Michael
Odd Thomas Is the second Dean Koontz book i have read and was an excellent read. The story centres on Odd Thomas who is just like everyone else working as a cook at the Pico Mundo Grill, has a great girlfriend Stormy and divorced parents. What makes Odd different is his ability to see the dead and liquid like things he calls bodachs who only appear when death is going to happen.

When a mystery man shows up in town Odd senses great danger for the ones he loves and the community as a whole. A sixth
Daniel Gonçalves
This book was beatiful, to be precise and honest. From the writing to the charachters, this was the best book I've read this year, by far.

I had previously read Sole Survivor by the same author and I didn't enjoy it. This however was a surprise.

The premise:

It does not live to the books full potentially and it may leave people aprehensive to read it. For the book is so much more than the sinopsis on the back cover. 3 out of 5 stars.

The writing:

Dean Koontz is an incredible prose write. Emotional, y
Sandra
This Koontz book gets some wildly different reviews from fans. They appear to love it or hate it...not a lot of in between. I put off reading it for that reason and now after reading it, I understand why. It isn't a typical Koontz book. It is very verbose, sometime flowery, in it's narrative and it takes a bit of time to connect with Odd Thomas. However, I enjoyed it once I was in. It doesn't have the cliche "I see dead people" problems many of these books have. I will say that I saw the ending ...more
Frances
Odd Thomas is a MOVIE on DirecTV on Demand! Just from the trailer, I'm excited about it. The characters are exactly how I imagined them.

See trailer here: http://youtu.be/MH0cdcBtuc8

• Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Volume 1: Prodigal Son
  • Icebound
  • The Mask
  • The God Project
  • The Talisman (The Talisman, #1)
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Infernal (Repairman Jack, #9)

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...
Watchers Intensity Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) Phantoms Velocity

“From time to time, I do consider that I might be mad. Like any self-respecting lunatic, however, I am always quick to dismiss any doubts about my sanity.” 272 likes
“Given my heritage and the ordeal of my childhood, I sometimes wonder why I myself am not insane. Maybe I am.” 124 likes